z

Young Writers Society

Teeth, a horror story

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:58 pm
valiant says...

Alright, I know I'm not supposed to summarize or anything, but I'd just like to say that this isn't a one shot, and I'm working on some more. I'm curious for feedback about the style etc of this beginning...

I think I also owe you a head's up that this story has vampires in it.

Enjoy.

It always begins on a dark and stormy night.

A horrible, smothering, city night in a damp and miserable place where the sky reflects a damp and miserable orange light from the streetlamps below. Neon signs lay green speckles of reflected light across the wet roads. Drizzling, warm rain, like God felt like taking a piss all over you.

I was wrapped in a cold wet jacket, trudging through puddles. Headed towards a little yellow pretzel shop, stomach painfully empty.

Inside the walls were all yellow and the counters were all orange. There was a giant smiling wooden pretzel on the wall, and a menu painted above the counter on a slate, to look like it had been handwritten with chalk. I just wanted a regular pretzel. I just wanted to have a regular pretzel and run home and go to bed. Unfortunately, a tall man in front of me was trying to bargain with the cashier over his pizza-stuffed-pretzel. On the menu they called it the “New York, New York.”

“Have you even tasted this stuff?” He waved the half eaten pieces in the stoic cashier’s face. “This tastes like friggin’ ground human flesh!”

A human flesh pretzel. How graphic.

Some memory was unfolding itself in my mind, recent and red.

Stringy carnage dangling through long black blades; white flesh squeezed into blistering dark blooms.

“Look at it! Look at these chunks! I swear to god this tastes like blood. Try it!”

Red sauce bubbled out of the center of the chewed pretzel, like bones from a severed wrist. Like purple splatters on a concrete wall. Fingernails peeking out of the mouth of a grinder. And so much black, black blood. Flesh being stripped down to sinew that clings like spider webs to rust-rotted machinery. Stretching them around and over like a taffy puller.

The tall man’s face blurred suddenly up very close to mine. “Don’t order the pizza pretzel, man!”

“I’m sorry,” I told the cashier, “I need to go now.” It was true. I was going to throw up.

“Look what you did!” He shouted at the man as I left. “You’re driving away my customers.”

Dark wet sky, trash ridden alley. Me by the dumpster puking my guts out. Black, pulpy tangles of guts. Splintered ribs pouring carrion into a corner. I might have blacked out for a second.

The girl’s name was Rosita Ortez. Rosita fell into a meat grinder, and it ate her whole. I watched. We pulled open the machine’s belly to get her out. There was a great squealing of metal on metal as we dismembered the machine, hoping she’d be curled up safely between the blades and crushers. She was pulled apart like taffy. Black blood, purpled flesh and fingernails. Her ground human flesh hanging from the blades like streamers. Fresh fodder for pretzels. They decided that she had broken safety codes and gotten herself killed. I testified at the hearing. Afterwards, after the judge pounded his gavel and Rosie’s family got nothing, I went over to see her mother and sister. We all stood in a circle and cried together. I had only spoken to her a few times, but it’s remarkable how close you feel to a person after you’ve seen them die. After we stopped crying I just wanted to go home, but first I decided to get a pretzel.

Back again to the alley. I finished retching and wiped hot bile off my chin. I was covered in cold sweat and rain, and wanted nothing but my bed. Somewhere to curl up and die in. Succumb to fever, call my mother and let her wash my forehead with cold water until all memories of Rosita Ortez’s cracked fingernails had disappeared. Then I could blame the pile of old breakfast stewing on the ground on a disease. At least a disease with a name.

I stood up straight with closed eyes. I pretended I was a shadow-person, ready to float home, shifting in and out of existence until I had made my invisible way back to a warm bed and a cold cup of water.

A mound of a person with clicking shoes and a rain slicker pulled around its face loomed suddenly behind me.

“Got a light?” it said in a deep male voice.

I’d like to say that these words would echo in my brain for eternity, with chilling realism or crystal clarity or something like that, but the truth is that my memory of that night is foggier than I’ve let on. I’m not sure exactly what it was he really asked me, but those words will do.

“No, sorry.” I never looked up. I never look up when I don’t have to. Someone told me once I have the eyes of an insane person.

I should have looked. The stranger grabbed me with hands like talons and threw me back towards the wall. I can remember screaming “NOOOOO!!” to him, as if I had been hoping that this exact thing wouldn’t happen. He bared fangs and saliva at me, both fierce and hot, then ripped back my shirt and tore through the flesh of my neck. I remember that my veins made a popping noise when he punctured them, and that I gasped but didn’t scream. I lay and choked in my blood for what seemed like hours. He held me down and watched me, his mouth a meat grinder of blood-soaked blades and flesh. He dripped blood into my eyes and I waited to die, heart fluttering like a crushed bird’s. My life ended, I suppose. The night, the street, the pretzel, Rosie, rows of jagged fangs and blades, tore Jimmy Hugh away with a pair blunt claws to the neck. Tore the head off my soul, or something. All the while my bleeding body heaved with death rattle after death rattle, refusing to die, to let me outside. Outside to enjoy the fresh air, get some exercise. Meet some other kids your age. I was locked in tight.

So I fainted instead, and lay unconscious in my own vomit with a stranger still straddling me in the dark.

I'm experimenting a bit with the style and voice I'm using for this, so feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:40 pm
Emerson says...

It always begins on a dark and stormy night.
I would highly suggest you don't begin a story this way. Not only are you taking on a cliché with those specific words, ut reading that, I don't want to continue. Don't try to make your reader chuckle, hook them.

A horrible, smothering, city night in a damp and miserable place where the sky reflects a damp and miserable orange light from the streetlamps below.
This is a fragment, it has no action verb. Descriptions come to life if you put them into action rather than just list them. "horrible", "smother", "damp", "miserable", the adjectives go on and on. Try using imagery of the senses to tell your reader, instead.

Drizzling, warm rain, like God felt like taking a piss all over you.
I find language/writing like this to be more insulting than interesting.

I was wrapped in a cold [comma] wet jacket

Headed towards a little yellow pretzel shop, stomach painfully empty.
Again this is a fragment. Alright, maybe fragments are your style, so you might want to see if other people complain about this, but I personally find fragments--used just to describe and without any real dramatic effect--are annoying. Try "I was headed towards..."

There was a giant [comma] smiling [comma] wooden pretzel on the wall

Stringy carnage dangling through long black blades; white flesh squeezed into blistering dark blooms.
I love your diction here, a lot, but I'd prefer if you made it more easy to visualize. I can't exactly tell what you are talking about. If I could visualize, it would be more horrifying.

The tall man’s face blurred suddenly up very close to mine.
This part of the sentence is a bit confusing. Try rewording it.

It was true. I was going to throw up.
Telling! This makes the story boring. If you want your reader, me, to feel like I'm going to throw up, don't just say it, explain the feeling in vivid detail. Make me hurl.

Dark wet sky, trash ridden alley.
I won't even both to fix your adjective commas here. You had an incomplete sentence above, and it worked nicely, but these ones you use for description don't do anything.

Succumb to fever, call my mother and let her wash my forehead with cold water until all memories of Rosita Ortez’s cracked fingernails had disappeared.
I'm not sure if your narrator is male or female, but especially if it is a male. Not that I hold the judgment that men shouldn't be real friendly with their mom, but even for a girl, an older girl, this is an odd comment. Try to fix it up or make it better--characterize it.

But I have to go now, so I'll finish this later.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 am
Areida says...

I'm not sure if you were going for gruesome, but if so, I think that was achieved. I wasn't particularly intrigued by this little snippet, and honestly had to force myself to finish reading it. It looks like Suzanne's going to hit on the grammtical errors (she always does a great job), so I'll just leave you with my overall impressions instead.

The narrator sort-of-kind-of has a voice, but not really. Work on individualizing his (her? I assumed the narrator was male, but I agree with Suzanne that this is a little too ambiguous) voice so that it's evident on the first read-through.

I know some people like the quick, jerky, fragmented style that you're using, but it doesn't work for me. At times it's strange, other times downright incoherent.

For instance, take this section:

The night, the street, the pretzel, Rosie, rows of jagged fangs and blades, tore Jimmy Hugh away with a pair blunt claws to the neck. Tore the head off my soul, or something. All the while my bleeding body heaved with death rattle after death rattle, refusing to die, to let me outside. Outside to enjoy the fresh air, get some exercise. Meet some other kids your age. I was locked in tight.

I don't get the first sentence at all. The second sentence feels absurd. "Tore the head off my soul"...? What? The third sentence is strange, and improperly punctuated as well. And I don't understand how the last bit is supposed to fit in at all.

So while all your grammar errors are more than fixable, I would recommend focusing on making this make more sense in general. Read it like you've never seen it before. Or, better still, have someone else read it to you; having a new perspective can really help out.

Best of luck in your editing and as you continue on with your story!
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 am
Emerson says...

Back again. ^^

A mound of a person with clicking shoes and a rain slicker pulled around its face loomed suddenly behind me.
That's incredebly messy. First of all, two sentences, so break it at "it's face". and... what do you mean, mound?

Someone told me once I have the eyes of an insane person.
I guess you're trying to make a vivid detail with this, but instead, this looks incredebly random, and the description is vague. What do the eyes of an insane person look like, anyway?

OK, honestly, going from people are being made into pretzels, to the vampire-esque guy, is completely misleading and weird.

The biggest problem with this story is the lack of suspense. You do have the gore--but even that failed in some places. Your descriptions were vague, and not nearly powerful enough. The story itself lacks any reason for me to be afraid.

The first problem is that you start with no conflict. There is nothing scary about the beginning, I don't care about the speaker, I don't care about anything, so why should I continue reading? Just like Areida said.

You fail to build suspense what so ever because of how you write it, like here:

I’d like to say that these words would echo in my brain for eternity, with chilling realism or crystal clarity or something like that, but the truth is that my memory of that night is foggier than I’ve let on. I’m not sure exactly what it was he really asked me, but those words will do.

Rather than keep the pace moving, you stop and comment on things, or mention it, so we feel it is in the past. You need to make things immediate and current for the reader, even if it is in past tense.

Try to find something more than gore. I like gore, too, and I'm a big fan of Saw and all that--but you still need something behind that. Especially in writing, gore isn't the only thing you can have, because writing isn't directly visual. I won't claim to be a master at horror works, but I've written a few things. If you'd like to take a look at them, I have a great suspense piece called Open up and a gore piece called Deep in Mud both of which are posted on YWS.

If you have any questions, feel free to Pm me!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:44 pm
KJ says...

Hey. There were only two things that stuck out to me, that I think you should change to improve:

I can remember screaming “NOOOOO!!” to him, as if I had been hoping that this exact thing wouldn’t happen.

I felt that the numerous O's ruined the seriousness. It made it feel melodramatic, rather than a guy's - girl's? - life ending horribly.

The only other thing was that you need to break up that last paragraph.

You've done a nice job with this. I like you MC's wry sense of humor. We don't really know who your MC is as of yet, but I'm sure you'll enlighten us as the story goes on. There were some good descriptions and nice details.

Keep writing.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:04 pm
valiant says...

Hello guys. Thank you all for taking the time to read this! I can't say I really --enjoy-- being grilled like this, but I think I'll definetly have to make it a regular thing. It has been immensly helpful. Thanks!

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:35 am
mizz-iceberg says...

This was rather... unique I guess. You really lost me in spaces and it got confusing. I think you are thinking most of the story in your mind and as you type, you forget to stop and explain things a bit as you already know what's going on.
We don't. This is our first time reading this.

The imagery/description is some places were great and vivid but in some places they lacked. This is supposed to be horror story I suppose. You didn't scare me.

You have to try hard to make your emotions more vivid to the reader. If the protagonist isn't scared and is just explaining what he saw, it ruins the horror. You have to explain the fear, the emotions, the thrill.

All the best with the editing. I see potential in this that's why I stopped to say what I have. I hope I wasn't too harsh.

Good luck with this story!
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Reviews: 3
Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 pm
jacksrequiem says...

It is an okay story.

Do you usually write with deux ex machina? It can be hard to pull off, so you should practice a lot if you want to write in that way to have it go smoothly. It was somewhat awkward to have the vampire just randomly show up in that manner and simply did not match the story.

The sentence length was a bit jarring. It is often best to vary lengths to put emphasis on only the most important sentences. You were trying to make things bold and interesting by cutting off your sentences like that, when, if you did it for only certain ones it would be much more effective.

This story has potential, and some good editing should fix it right up. Good luck with that!

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour