z

Young Writers Society

Scholarship Essay: College Success

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:21 pm
View Likes
stellar07star says...

*Honesty helps when writing scholarship essays, read on.

College is often a time of personal growth through trial and error, and learning to cope with responsibility while embracing personal freedom can be difficult. Success in college is determined by assertiveness, reasonable time management, organization, and perseverance. By these guidelines, any challenge during the pursuit of a post-secondary education can be triumphed.

On a more personal level, I know my areas that need strengthening and how to assess them. Finding time to study, waking up to go to class, and making a reasonable commitment is extremely important. My time management can be improved to completely avoid falling behind in class, turning in incomplete assignments, or oversleeping. I have come to know that keeping a daily planner drastically improves the way that I manage my time, so I will most likely always have one in my backpack with me.

Without the direct guidance of parents in college, it is important to find inner confidence to follow the path to success. Many students can’t handle their freedom during their first year in college, and fail to be assertive to their studies. Since I see this happening so often, I would like to work around this issue. By getting to know my professors, finding internships that intertwine my major’s fundamentals, and creating a reliable study group, I could build a wall around my academic safety zones.

Although challenges in college are sometimes inevitable, I plan to intercept these struggles the best that I can. If I ever find myself in a dillemma, I will remember that college is a place for me to find myself, learn, and grow.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:02 pm
Leja says...

Certain phrases made me think it was a college essay, even if I hadn't read the title. Such as "the pursuit of a post-secondary education can be triumphed" and "many students can't handle their freedom during their first year in college", "I plan to intercept these struggles". These sentences are generally blanket statements, filled with ideas found in many college essays, and said in a way that distinguishes them from other writing that isn't for college.

In all, it was very list like. I'm sure there was a word limit, but it was like there was too much information for too little space. The third paragraph, for example, begins with the importance of guidance, then lists ways to discover guidance in college, but the two aren't really related back to each other, and back to the original idea of the essay. How will these things help you succeed? Not just will they.

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant