The Void - Chapter 1

by zsmith

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Chapter One

“For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Daine. Joseph Daine, to be exact, but most days I’m just Daine.”

The microphone echoed my voice through the speakers hollowly. I stared out at the crowd before me, sort of wishing I’d made palm cards or something. But this particular audience wasn’t here for the usual prepared speeches. They were here for some honesty. Something I was never very good at, even when I was a little boy, caught stealing cash from my mum’s purse…

“I am a drug addict,” I said.

The present tense always got to me. I am a drug addict, even though I was four months sober, even though I planned to never touch drugs again, I am a drug addict, not was; I always will be an addict.

“And probably an alcoholic,” I went on, gulping. Things I never wanted to admit to myself I was now broadcasting to an audience like a bad TV advertisement. “And probably a problem gambler. And I’ve screwed more women than I can count.”

A chuckle went around some of the men in the audience. It wasn’t as funny as they thought it was, they’d see that one day.

“So that’s me in a nutshell. This is my fourth month of rehab, and I’m about to check out, and for some strange reason, my brilliant-minded counsellor, Mark over there-” Mark gave a small nod from his chair in the audience. “Mark thought I’d be a good person to speak here today. He thought my story would inspire you all or something. But I think I’m better served as a precautionary tale. You don’t want to end up like me. You want to get better and be cured of your addictions before you can become me.”

The audience took on a more sombre vibe. Maybe it was all in my head, but I think that was the moment people started paying attention, just in time for the grand finale of all my confessions.

“Four months ago, I hit the girl I loved. She winded up in hospital with a fractured skull. And me? I winded up in a jail cell.”

And so began the telling of my story.

*

I don’t remember much. Just the flashing lights and the sirens. So much went on that day.

“What’s wrong, Alexis?” I asked gently, wiping the tears from her pale cheeks. “Tell me. Just tell me what to do to take your pain away.”

“Kill my step-dad,” she said with a horrible, twisted smirk, trying to smile through her grimace of misery. She was pretending to just joke, but she was serious. She wanted him dead.

It wasn’t the first time I’d been arrested, but it sure as hell was the worst. I’d never been so ashamed, or so afraid. From my cell, I could hear the cops talking. They were bored, sure. So they were coming up with how long they reckoned I would be sentenced to in prison.

Possession of a Class A narcotic – up to 20 years. That one probably wouldn’t stick; they knew I was high but my pockets were empty and they said they couldn’t find my car. Weird, I had left it idling right next to the scene of the crime. Perhaps a guardian angel had moved it to save my sorry ass.

“Is that him?” I demanded.

Alexis glared at the man in the distance, all that fierceness and anger boiling behind her blue eyes. “Yeah. That’s him.” I immediately sprinted after him; her mouth popped open in surprise.

Two accounts of assault of the second degree – 10 years. If that guy gave a statement against me. If Alexis gave a statement against me.

There was blood all over his face and my fists. He was a limp maggot beneath me, too weak to fight back as I pummelled him. Someone screamed at me to stop. I wasn’t going to stop until he was dead. It was what she wanted.

Attempted murder – 20 years.

Just kill me now. I’d rather die than spend the rest of my life in prison. Then again, I think I’d rather go to prison than face Alexis after what I did.

“Daine! Stop!” Alexis screamed. Why? This was what she wanted. Hands grabbed my arm, tried to drag me away. I spun around, swinging my fists around with me – I just wanted to get rid of the damn hands trying to stop me.

I realised it was her mid-swing. I could’ve stopped. But I didn’t.

Sirens. The world flashed red and blue. There was so much blood on the pavement. So much blood around her head as she lay there limply, eyes closed. Cold handcuffs pinched my wrists.

“Your bail’s been paid,” a voice came.

The real world came rushing back to me all at once, drowning out the memories.

I lifted my gaze from the cold, concrete ground. The cop was unlocking the metal bar door to my cell. Senior Constable Lockley, his name tag said. I hauled myself up, leaving behind the part of me that wanted to stay there because I deserved it, replacing it with the part of me that never wanted to see the inside of a jail cell again. I followed Lockley out to the lobby of the police station, where he returned my personal possessions – a cell phone, a lighter, and my wallet.

“All witnesses refused to give a statement,” Lockley told me in a gruff voice. He grabbed my young arm in his age-spotted, veiny hand, revealing the pin pricks of red on the inside of my elbow. Track marks from needles. From shooting up with meth. “We couldn’t find any drugs. All charges have been dropped. You’re free to go.” He released my arm, then leaned into hiss into my face no louder than a whisper, “Next time, you won’t be so lucky, junkie scum.”

I stepped away before my temper could get the better of me. Honestly, I couldn’t blame him. All the drug addicts, the drunk and disorderly, and the downright criminally insane people he had to deal with on a daily basis to protect the public, and here was me, just put two people in hospital, and I was getting off scotch free. I’d be pissed at me too if I were him. Alexis was just a fifteen-year-old girl, and I was an eighteen-year-old junkie scumbag screwing up her life.

As if reading my thoughts, Lockley added one more thing as he stepped behind the administration desk and shuffled some paperwork. “She said it was a freak accident,” he said, shaking his head in contempt. “I don’t know what you’ve done to have her so wrapped around your little finger.”

Boy, did I owe that girl a lot more than an apology.

Out of the glass doors, I could see Jonathon standing outside, puffing on a cigarette, staring out across the police station parking lot. Of course he’d been the one to pay my bail – who else would have the money? Who else would even care about me enough?

I swallowed hard, trying to muster up some courage. I didn’t have a choice but to face him.

I walked out there, but before I could say a word – before he even looked at me – he was walking towards his car. I tripped after him. He was my best friend, and not a word, not a glance, all I got was the cold breeze coming off his shoulder.

On the long drive home, Jonathon broke the silence at last. “I can’t even begin to explain how disappointed I am in you.”

I’d heard it a million times from my foster parents and teachers, but this time it had a sharper edge, it cut me deeper. “I never meant for her to get hurt.” My eyes traced the cuts and bruises along my fists as they lay limply in my lap. Street lights passed in flashes.

There was a pause before he spoke again - he was trying so hard to stay calm. “We never mean to screw up, but it happens, so don’t try and make it not your fault.”

“It is my fault.” God, my voice sounded so damn emotional. “It’s all my fault. I’m sorry.”

“For almost killing her? Don’t apologize to me for that. Apologize for lying to me, for betraying my trust. I trusted you, Daine. After everything I’ve done for you, this is how you repay me? Letting a teenage girl drive a car while you shoot up? Beating a guy half to death? You hit the girl we’re supposed to be keeping safe!”

There was a long, tension filled silence. Jonathon breathed out his frustrations, and ended his rant on a dejected tone. “She’s… she’s like a daughter to me, Joseph. How could you do that?”

I thought Jonathon couldn’t have said anything worse than what I had already told myself, but there it was. How could you? He’d never asked me that before; not when I started on meth in the first place, not when I ruined his wedding day, not even when I totalled his car and killed someone – he was understanding even then. But there was no understanding this.

How could you?

“I’m sorry,” I croaked.

Jonathon pulled over onto the side of the road. Gravel crunched under the tires. “Get out, Daine.”

I looked around at the dark, lonely stretch of road we were on. “What?”

“Your car is right through those trees - where I put it. Get out. I have to go pick Alexis up from hospital.”

“Can’t I come? I want to see her.”

He shook his head sharply. “You’ll be lucky if you ever get to see her again. Get out before I throw you out.”

I got out and stood on the side of the road, watching his tail lights fade into the distant darkness. 

Mon May 16, 2016 6:32 am
Chaoticpiece says...

Wow! I totally love your stuff! I kinda wish I had read these ones before reading the first chapter of runner, as I might have some idea how this ends now, but I can't wait to read the other chapters! You're a really great author, and I anticipate lots of success in your future.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:24 am
hwrites wrote a review...

I didn't expect to read this whole story, seeing its length and my obvious tendency to get distracted (who can blame me? that's what the internet is for), but quickly I found myself enticed by the story's plot. I liked the different uses of vocabulary and the lack of repetitiveness. You made me appreciate Daine; I even felt a bit of empathy for him towards the end of the story. The character's regret and immediate guilt for his wrongful actions against Alexis were written extremely well. One of my favorite parts of the chapter was the subtle display of Jonathon's care for Daine in his hiding of the drug-filled car. Moments like that are small showings of great craftsmanship.

One of my only complaints about the story is the whole rehab skit. It was pretty predictable and typical (almost like the classic AA introduction). Your detailed writing and preciseness definitely pulled me back into the story. Also, be careful with fluency. A few parts were jumpier and more random than they could've been.

Overall, I enjoyed this. The writing was fantastic and I am definitely looking forward to reading the next chapter!

h :-)))

P.S. I apologize if this review was poorly written, it's my first one so far (be honored)!

zsmith says...

Thanks for the review and welcome to YWS! I'm fairly new as well. And no need to apologize, your review was excellently written and very informative for me! I always appreciate hearing people's different opinions.

The next chapter is up if you were interested in continuing to follow this- Numb - Chapter 2

Thanks again for taking the time to review!

birk wrote a review...

Hey zsmith!

I guess I'll start off by welcoming you to YWS! It's a wonderful site, I hope you'll enjoy yourself here.

Now, I really like piece. The entire plot so far isn't anything new. I've seen this story over and over, but you wrote this chapter very well. Utilizing good narrative setup, grammar, well written dialogue, and so far interesting characters and scenes, despite how we've seen lots of characters like this before. Somewhat unavoidable these days, I guess.

Your flashback scenes, or rather, memories, are really well written, and you intercut them well with the main narrative. Same goes for the dialogue. It flows well, sounds natural, and there's a proper amount of good dialogue tags which I enjoy.

Reading through this, I kind of felt that the Alexis character served little purpose other than to set off the Daine character. Something that gets him in motion. The whole deal with the stepfather, which she urges him to kill, rather than her taking action herself. Surely not by killing him, that would be a step too far, but at least taking initiative on her own. I don't know, it's probably just because I came to this point in the story and immidiately thought back to the character of Kate Austen on Lost, who were in a similar circumstance, but took matters in her own hands.

“Is that him?” I demanded.

How you change up the flashback and the narrative here is fantastic. It all flows very well.

Edit
But I think I’m better served as a precautionary tale.

Just a quick grammatical error. It's the only one I found! Well done! ;)

Other than this, there's not really much I can say for this first chapter. I like it. I've seen the characters before, but they still intrigue me slightly. Perhaps Jonathon especially. He's written well, despite not being in there too much yet, or having much to say. Though it's probably the fact that his character doesn't say much that makes me like him. He speaks levels just with that alone.

Not when I started on meth in the first place. Not when I ruined his wedding day. Not when I totalled his car and killed someone – he was understanding even then.

Well, that escaleted quickly. And to be honest, that last one sounds worse than this one so far. These guys have quite the history. I'm partially interested to learn more of their relationship.

Hopefully I'll delve into your second chapter soon. And hopefully you'll continue writing it, cause I like it so far.

Keep it up, zsmith!

Cheers
Birkhoff

zsmith says...

Thanks for the review, Birkhoff!

I chuckled to myself a little bit when you mentioned Kate from Lost - I love that show, and she's my favorite character! But I obviously didn't take much inspiration from her for Alexis' character. I can see why you think Alexis is a bit flat and unimportant at the moment, and when you mentioned it, I sort of did think "Hey, yeah, why didn't Alexis just kill her abusive step-dad herself?" and then I remembered Alexis is fifteen, whereas Kate was in her late twenties (I like to think teenagers don't have as much forethought as adults to plan murders as diligently as Kate did) and Alexis' backstory that is revealed later in the novel shows the reasons why she hasn't killed him (Spoiler; she stabbed him during a confrontation then ran away, leaving him to die but knowing that he survived).

Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to review. The second chapter is up if you're interested Numb - Chapter 2

Nordfor wrote a review...

I was glancing through several tabs of stories when I came upon this jewel. You grabbed my attention immediately. At first I was just curious, and by the time he said "I am a drug addict," I was completely hooked.

This was sobering. Your details and how you communicate Daine's emotions and position comes across as so very real. We, the audience, learned so much about this character and his friends and relationships but not once through the whole narrative did I feel like I was being force fed exposition. Everything flowed into the story being told. Your descriptions were spot on, just enough to give us something to picture and run on but not too much that it slowed down your story telling. Concise, clear, relevant.

I would like to know more about this girl and why Jonathan felt it was his responsibility to keep her safe too. I can understand Daine's motives -- he's in love with her -- but Jonathan? I imagine it has to be something big for Jonathan to react more severely than when Daine actually killed someone. A relative perhaps?

Whether or not you actually have experience in this topic, your knowledge comes through. It's written in such away that it feels like an account, not a fiction.

I'll be following you to read more updates. Keep writing.

BlueJayWalker10 wrote a review...

Dude, this is amazing! I've never much been into reading a story that seems to be emotional and difficult like this but I'm really interested in this one. The plot pacing is perfect--Though you sorta pulled a Sword Art Online--(started later in the story and then almost immediately jumped to an earlier date), I understood it just fine. It went at a good pace to keep me from getting bored and kept my attention perfectly.
I like how you slowly introduced us to Daine and instead of telling us who he was and what he was like right then and there, we got to slowly learn who he was. Same goes for Jonathon, and I'm assuming that's how it's going to be for Alexis.
You see, I'm a SERIOUS grammar Nazi. But, hey! I did not see ONE grammar mistake in this story.
As a matter of fact, there wasn't any awkward wordings that I thought should be replaced either.
Good job, I applaud you! Please, continue writing this story!
-Jay

Charm wrote a review...

Hi!
My name is Rachel, but most people call me Mad.

#8000BF ">Plot, Pace and Point of View
This was so powerful. You really have a gift...
The pace was perfect. Even though you jumped a lot, I was never confused. The point of view fits the story perfectly.

#8000BF ">Characters and Dialogue
You slowly but surely introduced us to Daine, Alexis and Jonathan. They all feel so real. I love how Daine is not your typical main character heroine. He has gone through hardships, foster parents, murder, drugs, etc.

#8000BF ">Grammar
I didn't find any mistakes.

Please don't stop writing! This was really good! I wish I could give you a longer better review but I'm not finding anything wrong or that needs fixing~

Have a wonderful day,
Rachel

7whitewolf7 wrote a review...

I love this! The writing is well done, it looks like you took the time to go through and edit it as well. Good job!
There's several directions this could go, and the reader is left wondering which one will happen, if any! Now that you've hooked the readers interest this would be an excellent time to provide a bit more back story, and come around to the conditions that he now finds himself in. :) Nice.

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind