Death

by zoeyylittle

Death has a funny way of bringing on change,

For most it in simpler terms, erases that thing from your life, in one quick instantaneous swoop of horror you can lose a part of you, forever.

One moment you're the happy family of four who has its struggles, but through each others love you make the best of it. And suddenly you become the family of three.

The widowed father trying to hold on and do whats best, and the two daughters who will live the rest of their lives wondering how different things would be.

Change begins in the very instant you lose a part of you.

Suddenly the home you've grown in and shared memories becomes nothing but a place for the ghosts to roam. Thoughts of the past provoke you at the turn of every corner, and so you decide that isn't home anymore and move one.

You start clean. Slowly the family, torn to shreds by the loss, adjusts to life in their new home. The time spent there is mainly composed of blurred memories. No one is truly happy but everyone pretends to be.

And then it happens. Her. The woman who changes it all. The father has decided to get himself out there, to begin to move on. He meets with her enough and slowly begins to realize that maybe she could be the one.

Bringing her home to the two daughters brings a new kind of change. She is not what the older of the girls expected, but then again what was she to expect. This new woman brings her son and her bright spirits. In the next visit she brings her daughter, and before you can think its announced you're moving to be with them.

The man and woman buy a home big enough for the whole family. Within the matter of a day the family is living together. The family doubles. And so does the happiness.

Death brings one a lot of change, but the question is, is it all bad?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:15 pm
Aley wrote a review...

Hey!

So first thing first, one is the number, on is the preposition like put the cup on the table. Death brings on a lot of change is probably what you were going for, not one. You have this typo twice. "Thoughts of the past provoke you at the turn of every corner, and so you decide that isn't home anymore and move one." and "Death brings one a lot of change"

Next thing next, I don't really think I like that it's centered, but because it's paragraph stanzas rather than lines, I think it's alright for this poem. I wouldn't suggest doing it for all poems though.

Onto the review. I really like how you go through this as a narrative that develops and grows through time and the idea of what death means changes as the family mourns and grows back towards something that might be whole again. I think you did a really good job with that and the refrains that you decided to use.

I think, for the most part, you don't have much poetic language in here, but a lot of it sounds more like an essay than a poem. This could be a problem if you were really going for a poetic language, instead of something that's very, external. I feel like there could be a lot of other layers to this poem for you to explore later as you develop more of a body of work. For that reason, I think my biggest suggestion is to write it again, and again, and again, and work on what you really want to say with the poem, narrow it down and try to really embed feeling into the poem through how you use your language and what words you choose to use.

As it stands, I like this poem and I think it doesn't need much editing aside from the misspelled words mentioned earlier.

Good Job!

FancyDragon wrote a review...

very thought provoking. I really like your themes and your diction. You chose some very interesting words and phrace set up.

That being said I am nt sure but the first few lines are laking flow or distracting. I am not sure what it is. I love the imadrey you use. When you mention that family of four becoming a family of three. The daughters imagaining what life could have been its all very darkly poetic.

Over all great job keep up the great work!!!

FancyDragon

zoeyylittle says...

Thank you :) i actually pulled that from my own life!

MartinNovotny says...

Wow. This is a masterpiece!

Holysocks says...

I loved this. It was sad at first, but it had a beautiful ending. It's interesting to read this because there's always that cliche about step parents being a terrible addition to a family etc. So I found this very refreshing, unique, and thoughtful.

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight