z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Guarded: Until Death

by sweet sour


*This story might be continued, Although It was written to gain feed back on my writing style.*

CHAPTER 1: Until Death

The country of Helsenbrooke had a ritual of some sorts. To honor the Guards of Hel with a ball every year for protecting the country from other worldly beings. Everyone was expected to attend but not in awe of their soldiers but in fear of their wrath. They were monsters, experiments forged by their so called mother, but the citizens of this country were no better, in fear of the evolving world around them they hid behind their walls and behind the experiments, which the citizens funded to create an army that rivals any other.

All the people of Dreidwood were in the mansion that housed the Guards of Hel, mingling in glee of a day off from work to celebrate another year of life, but not all were at ease of the celebration. A girl, Amara seemed anxious.

"Amara." A man called from behind her, taking her away from her observations of the party.

Turning, Amara saw August dressed in his formal uniform watching her with his monotone eyes.

"Is there something you need." she asked curtly. Amara was not very fond of August.

August was one of the lower guards of Hel, Amara had known him and other Guards from many combat classes.

The boy's eyes explored Amara's appearance.

"You look stunning, much more lady-like. Very different from your normal sweats" His words matched his cold demeanor, and Amara narrowed her eyes . He did not mean to anger her.

The boy's eyes wondered elsewhere before landing back to her. "Today, I am becoming an Elite Guard of Heslenbrooke" He stated. August wanted her to feel comfortable with him, maybe proud of him.

Amara's face visibly paled at the idea of him as an elite.

At times the elite guards would announce what prizes they would take from the people as reward for their services. Whatever the guards wished for the people did not argue in fear of the repercussions. Usually a lover was asked for, at times even prescribed.

"Congratulations." Amara spoke, then looked way from him, but was aware that he did not move.

"You look better when you dress appropriatly as a woman. " August tried again, he did not like the silence between them.

Glaring at the boy Amara calmly walking away.

"Wait," August grabbed the woman. "I-I just meant that you look most beautiful when-"

"Congratulations on your promotion." Amara snatching her arm away from him, making her way to the back of the party.

Among the Guards of Hal, the counties only defense, none were female, and Amara aspired to be a soldier for for country. The Guards of Hal found this laughable, August found it unacceptable.

"People of Dreidwood, Helsonbrooke may I please have your attention!" A man stood on a stage that overlooked the people. "I am now going to present the new additions to the elite Guards of Helsenbrooke!" The people applauded and Amara was well aware of the truth.

Being elite was not an honor it just meant that they had lived longer then the others, and had been moved up in rank. They were not men but children the eldest of them where no where pass 28. 'Depressing' Amara thought.

The crowd applauded as four boys enter the stage. "August, Reis, Rider and Noah!"

"And as you all know, these new elite Guards- for their services are to be rewarded with a companion of their choosing!" The host gestured to the crowed. "Men are you ready to find your companions? "

The boys slowly nodded. "Then begin."

Reis, the giant, easily jumped off the stage and the crowd parted with each step he took. Noah and Rider took the steps while August did not leave, he searched the crowds.

Amara found it odd that Reis, let alone August had someone in mind to be their companions.

Following Reis' example August jumped from the stage making his way through the crowd towards Amara. She began to glare at him, making him stop and visibly shrink.

"Amara.." August calmed himself and looked in her eyes. "I want to take you as my wife. I do not want you to ruin your body with combat training or ideas of being a soldier. You are a women and should act as such."

Amara could not deny her blush at the attention she was given, but was furious with the boy's declaration.

August snaked his arms around the girl as she was deep in thought and pulled her to follow him, but Amara fought with him.

"Please, Amara."

"No-" Guards formed around Amara pulling her to follow August.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 365
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed May 04, 2016 5:35 am
Far1812 wrote a review...



Hey Sweet Sour! It's Far again. I know it's a little odd for me to review your first chapter second, but oh well...

WRITING
Hey, I've just noticed the cleverness of "the Guards of Hel." Sorry it took me so long! :P
I think you're more focused in this chapter than you are in your second; I also think it flows better. I can tell where they are, who the main character is, and what the main purpose of a scene is, so yay!
There is awkward phrasing and grammatical errors can be found a little to easily, but all that can be sorted out.

PLOT
There isn't much, but that's okay! I actually quite like this as an opening scene. Exposition is to be expected, and you manage to slide it in, if not stealthily, non-boring-ly. (Does that make any sense?)
So, the elite are announced, and August proposes to Amara. It wasn't entirely unexpected, but she found herself shocked and angry anyways. I think you portrayed the feelings on both sides very well, and I rather enjoyed their exchanges.

CHARACTERS
I felt Amara in this chapter, I really did. Spunky and witty, but clever enough to keep her mouth shut, to hold her hand close to her chest. Also, she and August intrigue me. I feel like they could fall in love, or she could stomp all over his heart; it could go either way.
Speaking of August, he feels less like a psycho and more like an overprivleged schoolboy in this section. Not that that's bad; I find him quite endearing, actually. I hope you have fun playing (writing-wise) with him.
So, the other characters are still whatshernames and whatshisbuckets, but that's okay. Amara doesn't know them very well either. I think the touches you added in were subtle, but telling.

WORLDBUILDING
Well, most of my questions have been answered. (Funny how that happens when you read the first chapter!)
Hopefully we'll get to know your country/world better, but for now, we're good.
One thing though: what's the time period? I assumed pseudo-medieval, but then August mentioned sweatpants...I'm confused.

OVERALL
Keep working at it! The only way to improve is to continue writing.
I'll post more reviews for you, too, if you like.

Best wishes!




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 496
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:48 am
ZerosaBeebe wrote a review...



That was just amazing and I really wish you would finish it!! You have a beautiful writing style and I WILL be reading more of your (no doubt) wonderful creations! If you ever find time though, please do try and finish this piece, it really captured my attention! DO expect to see my reviews everywhere! XD -your fellow future author in the making :)




User avatar
485 Reviews


Points: 21027
Reviews: 485

Donate
Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:16 pm
Elijah wrote a review...



I really can not say negative things about this piece of art.Unfortunatly that is will not be finished.
I think you have a very good style of writing your stories and your own ideas!I would love to see more of youe stories if they will be more like this.I am sure I will find something interesting that will be trully catchy.
Just continue doing your thing!
And I hope you write stuff that are longer and finished in the future.




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 9

Donate


See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451