Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

what do you want

by soundofmind

A/N: Please listen to the song as you read if you're able. Click here to listen. All the music and singing is done by me!

what do you want from
all of these ashes?
they don’t have answers for you
can you move on from
such a great loss now?
what are you supposed to do?

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too

what do you want from
these turning pages
you’re hoping for something new
but life keeps repeating
and the water's receding
what does it look like to push through?

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too

is it worth the pressure
and pain and resistance
you wonder if you thought this through
did they really love you?
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?

and you don't have to tell me why
I know it hurts to say goodbye
each friendship is a sacrifice
I know it hurts to watch them die
when you
still love them too

what do you want from
all of these ashes?
they don’t have answers for you

SadboyJay wrote a review...

hey @soundofmind here goes a review

First of all. @soundofmind thank you for sharing your songs on yw we glad that we heard you sing and to tell me you really sound pretty good with this one soundofmind keep writing your music soundofmind i actually got my part that i like from lyrical poem what do you want from
all of these ashes? soundofmind this was my part i loved

Second the part i didn't like from your poem was i know it hurts to watch them die
when you soundofmind i didn't like that part from the poem i think you should of said i know it hurts to watch him pass thats my onion to it

Third the reason soundofmind cause i think it was sad a little soundofmind but you could of took that watch them die like leave watch them but take out die part through

4th keep up with the good poems soundofmind

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:45 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Greetings, my iconic friend!

I'm probably like the least qualified person ever to critique one of your songs, but what I can do is give you my interpretation of it and what it makes me feel and all that good stuff. Besides, it's revmo, and if I'm gonna reach my lofty review goal I'd better start reviewing everything I read. :3

First of all, as always, thank you so much for sharing your songs with us, you angelic-voiced musician you! There's something sooo soothing about each of your tracks, from the gentle strumming to all the hauntingly beautiful harmonizations. I truly adore your music. <3

The soothing quality of this song goes a level deeper than just the melody. The desire to soothe and console is kneaded throughout the lyrics as well, and is reinforced by the tone of your voice.

My best interpretation of the lyrics as a whole is that narrator is comforting - as well as empathizing with - someone who recently had a bad falling-out with a close friend. The narrator, too, has experienced this kind of loss, and comments that this seems to be a repeating pattern in life.

This song could have easily been written from the perspective of the person who is currently suffering, but instead it's from the perspective of the friend or family member. I find this to be a wonderful, ironic detail, because the suffering person must still have a lovely friend in the narrator, who in turn is being completely transparent with their opinions on friendships. I'm probably reading way too much into the possible relationship between these two characters, if they even are concrete characters, but I'm wondering if any of the advice and sympathy that the narrator is sharing could double as comments/concerns about their own dynamic. Like this line:

did they really love you?
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?

What if this is something the narrator yearns to ask the suffering friend ("Do you love me?") but is too scared to, in case the answer isn't an adamant yes?

Along this line of thought, here's another interpretation I have when I focus on the significance of the titular lines: the narrator's like, bro, what do you want with a friend who turned their back on you and is as good as dead when you've got me?! Lol again, I'm probably reading way too much into this.

Perhaps - and this is more likely - you're inspired by your OCs! And this song is narrated by you, with all your life experience and friendships and stuff, and you're speaking to a character like James who is undergoing something very similar to what you've gone through.

That just about wraps up my thoughts! I loved listening to this song over and over while typing this up - each time it was more and more gorgeous! The harmonies are absolutely BEAUTIFUL in the final chorus (if "and you don't have to tell me why..." is the chorus).

Keep it up! <3
Wolfi

soundofmind says...

WOLFI ;-; I LOV U AND THANK U SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW

My best interpretation of the lyrics as a whole is that narrator is comforting - as well as empathizing with - someone who recently had a bad falling-out with a close friend.

Nail on the head! :)

It is a little more along the lines of this haha - though not exclusively James :,)

But I LOVED hearing you interpretations and I think they're all wonderfully thought out. It's so cool to hear how different people take things.

As for this bit:
did they really love you?
but how could you ask that?
did they ever say that to you?

It read like this in my head:
person who lost a friend: did they really love me? but how could I ask that?
person who's comforting: did they ever say [I love you] to you?

But I like your interpretation too haha. It gives it a whole 'nother vibe.

Wolfi says...

OKAY YAY! I had a feeling that my initial interpretation was much more correct than the one bred from overthinking xD In any case, more than prose, poetry/lyrics tend to favor openendedness, right? Letting the words mold to the reader's own experience? I don't review poetry much but it seems like the authors tend to be much more interested/amused by interpretations that aren't the "correct" ones. I like that!

soundofmind says...

Yeah! I think poetry and songs lend themselves open to interpretation. I like when people view a song through the lens of their own experience and are able to make it their own :) I like it too!

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio