Home » Literary works » Lyrics » Lyrical

i can't change your mind

by soundofmind

Author's note: Listen to the song while you read if you can!  Click this text to listen.

I can’t change your mind
Even if I wanted
You haven’t changed
And if I’m just honest

You’ve only done
What your heart told you to
But hearts can lie
And their choices hurt too

Why do you try so hard
To heal our broken hearts
What years have torn apart
Are not so easily built back up again
If you just heard me
Why aren’t you listening
I don’t want to believe
That you’re not even trying

But
I can’t change your mind
Even if I wanted
You haven’t changed
If I’m being honest

I’ve always longed
To be closer to you
But time’s flown by
And I barely know you

Why do you try so hard
To heal our broken hearts
What years have torn apart
Are not so easily built back up again
If you just heard me
Why aren’t you listening
I don’t want to believe
That you’re not even trying

It’s just gonna take time
It's just gonna take time, time, time
Oh but how much time
Are you willing to waste
How long do you expect me to wait
It's just gonna take time
It's just gonna take time
It's just gonna take time, time, time, time 

I can't change your mind
Even if I wanted

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm
Magebird wrote a review...

Hey there, sound! I saw this in the Green Room and love your writing, so I just had to review it. :)

I actually just reviewed a song @niteowl wrote, so I thought I'd try the same method with reviewing your piece. I first read it on its own without the musical accompaniment, and then I read it again while listening to the song. With and without music, the tone was roughly the same: melancholy and regretful. I especially loved how slow and eerie the song sounded with your vocals and the guitar. I can't describe why I love that kind of music so much, but I definitely enjoyed it.

(This song's also a good reminder that I really need to listen to your songs more!)

I also loved the repetition you used throughout the song. Some songs run the risk of being too choppy with the introduction of repetition, but your lyrics flowed together. There wasn't a single moment where I felt like I had to take a step back from the poem.

I don't have anything to criticize in this poem - you did an amazing job with it, and I'm happy it's gotten as many likes as it has!

soundofmind says...

aaaa thank you so much Jaybird!!!! <3

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:33 pm
Tenyo wrote a review...

Amazing vocals and a beautiful composition. I think it takes a lot of skill to write and compose something of this quality, especially to do the tech stuff behind it as well.

The lyrics that you've written are so good! The way you've written it makes it feel really honest and it carries the emotion across well. My only suggestion is that in a song of this tempo that's five minutes long it might be better to have some more variation between the verses, especially with the chorus being so long.

This is really nice. Thank you for posting =]

soundofmind says...

Aaaa thank you Tenyo!!! :)

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 pm
Liminality says...

Loved this! It's melancholy, emotional, sincere. I'm no expert on music, but I really like the way you've put rhythm into your lyrics. It sounds speech-like, which I think makes the words more earnest, yet also has a symmetry to some of the sounds which adds a poetic quality, if that makes sense.

Thanks for sharing!

soundofmind says...

Thanks so much liminality!

Because America runs on Dunkin' but Dunkin' runs on Windows 98.
— Colin Jost