The Lost Dragon 9.2

by soundofmind

Chapter 9 Part 2: I Don't Believe I Trust You Anymore

The morning came with a layer of dew and mugginess that made breathing feel like a chore. Clandestine released a loud yawn as she began to open her eyes, expecting the sting of the morning sun, only to come to the startling realization that there was none, because a book was on her face.

It took her a few drowsy seconds before she realized what the book was, and the moment she did, her heart rate spiked and she shot up, grabbing the journal and slamming it shut in her hands as she looked around their little campsite with panicked searching. The searching only lasted one glance, however, as the sun pierced her eyes and she saw Matt sitting just a few feet away from her, scowling.

She jumped again, this time scuttling back a few steps with her heels in the dirt. Oh gods. Matt was watching her, and there was no way for her to tell how long he had been watching. She looked down at the journal in her hands and then looked back up at his very unhappy expression, smiling nervously with her eyebrows drawn and raised.

"O-oh M-Matt, uh, hi! Yes! Wow, uh, you're up early! I meant to w-w-wake you, uhhhh, but! It looks like you're all good so!! Uh! How about w-w-w-we uh-"

"Hand over the book Clandestine."

Clandestine's smile fell and she stared at Matt with wide eyes, finding herself shrinking under his penetrating gaze. His dark blue eyes shot right through her, and for the first time in her travels with him, it hit her in her gut that she really, really didn't know him at all. She mustered up enough courage to break from her frozen fear and, in a stiff motion, threw the book over to him. He caught it, with his eyes still fixed on her, but they looked more serious and angry than she'd ever seen.

"How much did you read?" he asked cooly.

Clandestine smiled again, feeling sweat begin to form on her forehead. "Oh, well, you know," she said with her voice quivering slightly. "I-I'm not really m-much of a big reader-"

"How much. Did you. Read?" he asked again.

Clandestine was silent for a moment, and didn't dare meet his eyes. She twiddled with her fingers in her lap, feeling her face flush in the most panicked breed of embarrassment.

"I mean... I fell asleep, you know, so, I mean. I dunno... I maybe got halfway..." she mumbled.

Matt stood up. That caused her to raise her eyes again, and she watched as he turned around and walked over to his bag, put the book away, and untied Elliot from the tree. He started to pack up his things quickly, strapping Elliot back up with his saddle. Clandestine watched in quiet confusion until she realized that he wasn't just packing to put his book away - he was packing up to leave. In a burst of energy, she got up and hurried over. Matt mounted his horse without saying a word or looking at her at all.

"W-wait, what are you doing?" she asked weakly.

"I'm leaving."

Her heart sank in her chest. "Where are we going?" she asked.

He turned around. His eyes had lost the former sharpness of their gaze and he looked down at her with dead eyes.

"There is no more we, Clandestine. But I wish you well on your adventures," he replied in monotone, showing no emotion at all. Clandestine felt her skin crawl but took another step forward.

"W-wait. I'm sorry okay-"

His eyebrows twitched ever so slightly. He looked away again. "Sorry that you read it or sorry that I caught you?"

She dropped her gaze down to her feet, feeling guilt stick to her like a cold, wet blanket. "You don't have to... leave though, like, I don't get why-"

"Why I sound different in the book. Why nothing matches what I’ve told you. Why you have so many questions.”

She frowned, her eyebrows drawing together in frustration. He wasn't letting her finish any of her sentences, even if she wasn't sure how she was going to end them anyway.

"Yeah," she replied with more confidence, daring to look up at him. She might've read his journal, but she had a right to be upset too. "And why you've been lying to me."

He looked out into the forest, his face a wall of stone. "I'm not going to answer that."

Clandestine felt all of her frustration rise to the surface all at once at that answer. "Are you serious?" she spoke with her voice rising in volume and heat rose to her face. "After all we've been through? You're not going to be honest with me?"

"Clandestine," he said calmly. "I've known you for four weeks, not four years."

Clandestine's expression grew tighter. "But how much of this?" She gestured angrily to him with a sweeping motion and open arms. "Is a lie? Are you even a cowboy?" she shouted.

”Technically, I can only be a cowboy while I’m herding cattle.”

Clandestine's eyes grew wide and she wrenched her fingers into tense arches, still gesturing at him in frustration. "You know that's not what I mean!"

"You wouldn't have known anything for sure if you'd just kept to yourself," he retorted.

Clandestine scoffed, leaning back and shaking her head as she threw her arms up and let them flop at her sides. "Oh! So it's my fault you're a liar!"

"No. It's only your fault that you found out. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to-"

She stepped in front of Elliot to block his path, and this time, she was the one who interrupted him. "We're still lost in this forest, Matt. You can't just leave me here."

Matt lifted himself in his saddle ever so slightly so he could look at her over Elliot's head. He kept looking down at her with that same, obnoxiously blank face.

"While you were asleep with my journal on your face I heard people, and a carriage went by not too far from here." He pointed out into the forest, up ahead, away from the creek. "There's a path. Follow it."

Clandestine followed his finger, her heart sinking again. As soon as she started to look away, he moved Elliott forward.

“But-I just-” her words muddled together into a frustrated wordlessness and she fell into silence as she watched him ride away. She couldn't find anything else to say to convince him not to leave. She didn't know who he was, but he wasn't the cowboy she met in the bar or even the one she hung out with at Laura and Kaleb’s. He was someone else entirely, and nothing in that journal made sense to her without context. It was all so vague anyway. It was almost like he wrote expecting someone would snoop and read it.

Of course, she couldn't blame him, since she had, but she didn't understand why that meant he had to leave.

Why did everything end like this?

With a disheartened sigh, she looked behind her to Billy after Matt disappeared into the forest. At least Billy was still there.

She walked up to Billy, lifting a hand to pet the little white star between his eyes, then slid her hand up to brush through his short hair. He just blew through his lips, and she leaned forward, putting her head against his.

Why does it always end like this?

For whatever reason, she started crying.

She knew she shouldn’t cry over Matt. She really probably shouldn’t. But she was crying anyway. Billy nuzzled her gently with his snout, and she sniffled as her throat was forming knots.

"Oh, Billy,” she whispered, sniffing in an incoming snot tear. “I think I really screwed that up. Everything. I messed everything up.” She hugged Billy around his neck, rubbing her face into his fur. “I did something really stupid. This is why no one ever sticks around. This is why no one ever stays with me. Cause I ruin it. And it really is my fault, too. That's how it was with cowboy. And even Lynette couldn't stick around. Everybody just leaves. Everybody leaves..."

He'd come back, right?

Looking for her? Calling out her name in hopes that she would hear it?

The thought didn't help. It only made her cry harder, slouching over as she held Billy's neck loosely. For all she knew, Matt was a criminal, or just some... really bad person that manipulated people. Had she been tricked? Was all of it just some ploy to get something? Had he stolen her money while she was asleep? Was he some kind of kingdom spy undercover?

No, that was just silly. She knew Matt wasn't going to come back. The last memories she had of everybody in her life were all the same; seeing their backs as they walked away.

"We'll meet again, I swear. And the next time we do, I won't leave ya, I promise."

His final words before leaving her. He wrapped his jacket around her and hugged her, whispered to her he'd never break a promise, and then he left. Her friend. The closest thing she had to a father. Her cowboy. He was the one that taught her how to shoot, and helped her get her bearings in the world she woke up in.

She was quiet and timid. She never pushed him like she did Matt. She never asked questions about him. So much so, that she never even learned his name. She just kept calling him cowboy, and he seemed just fine with that, and so was she. After he left, she didn't see him again for many, many, years… and the thought of that made her burst into even more sobs.

The day she found him again, she had been in a small village in the north, in the borders of Lettera. She was working with them to take care of a small pack of wolves that had been hunting townsfolk that wandered too far out. She had gone to the church to talk to their priest about a reward. He was a kind and wise man, promised her food for the road, and a guide to the nearest city. Since they could now trade freely again without the wolves, they could travel the roads safely.

On her way out of the church she had seen it: a gravestone, with a very ornate stone cross. It stuck out from the rest, as something was lying on top of it. The village leader had noticed her gaze and explained to her who the grave belonged to. He said, "It was a mysterious man. No one knew him, but he ended up in our town asking about bandits and highwaymen." The priest explained that bandits had pretty much taken over the village at the time, demanding money from their trades and goods for the bandits to use to rob travelers. The mysterious man stood up against them but lost his life finishing off their leader. The priest suspected the man had prior dealings with this crew of bandits since he fought them with a deep-seated passion and a lack of remorse.

Once she had gotten close enough to the grave it dawned on her why it had stood out to her. There was a hat on the gravestone, and it wasn't just anyone’s; it was his. It was the hat of the man who had saved her life, and it was exactly how she remembered it, down to the last detail. The patches, the tarnished gold sheriff’s star on it, everything. Before breaking down into tears, she asked: "What was his name?" And she was told he asked to be referred to as "Cowboy."

She shook her head, trying to get the image out of her mind, but all she could think of was of Matt’s hat on that gravestone, and she couldn't bear the thought.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:11 am
DreamyAlice wrote a review...

Hey, Alice is here to give a review!!!

Matt, you are talking SO RUDEEEEE.

She didn't know who he was, but he wasn't the cowboy she met in the bar or even the one she hung out with at Laura and Kaleb’s. He was someone else entirely,

Yeah, Clanny he has become totally a new guy.

Poor Clanny she lost her only partner, I am feeling so sad for her.

“I think I really screwed that up. Everything.

No Clanny you didn't screw up anything, Matt was just finding a way to leave and he got it.

Such a sad chapter it was and the backstory of Clanny is so melancholy. Argg I am starting to hate matt

soundofmind says...

clanny does have a very sad backstory :,)

Carina wrote a review...

HELLO YES I went back a few chapters >_> mostly because it's Review Day and there was a little teeny bit of critique I didn't say in my comment, and I know this is super old, BUT HERE IT BE ANYWAYS kjshfjksdf I'll be quick

First, I like how in this chapter, we see the real James >:) being a snark butt!

I like this quote lol -

"But how much of this?" She gestured angrily to him with a sweeping motion and open arms. "Is a lie? Are you even a cowboy?" she shouted.

Snarky man strikes again! Can't wait to read more about it!

Although, the main reason I wanted to send a review for this chapter was because of the monologue at the bottom. I like the detail it gives since it provides extra depth for Clandestine, but I'm wondering if it's kinda like, too much all at once? If the story needs this detail to go on, I'm thinking it can be patched together in a more poetic way, or in a way that her thoughts would naturally wander, rather than a sentence-by-sentence story, if dat makes sense.

I do be thinkin' that it might be better to include bits and pieces of this backstory along the chapters instead of revealing it all at once, but! idk wat the future is! so here be my TWO SHINY CENTS

ok das all i'll continue now lol lov u

soundofmind says...

i love your two cents and i hold them like precious treasure

also bless u bless u again, love to see snark james

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:00 pm
Carina says...

I HAVE FINALLY REACHED THIS CHAPTER!! and... ;-; i am emo

ok james matt, i c u. VALID for being pissed. clanny do be a snoopy airhead lol. but man!! she out here ALONE!! LOST!!!

o gosh alexander dude is gonna find her, ain't he

soundofmind says...

we do be stressin doe

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 am

And I am back. Let's see how far we get today.

First Impression: Well that was coming. And it looks like she didn't even learn anything useful so we didn't learn anything useful either. Or will we? Well sad situation for her. And that confrontation was pretty good. It shows "Matt" acting like his true self and we get more backstory on Clandestine which is always good.

Anyway getting right to it,

That's a great opening except it will probably be ruined when the two parts of the chapter need to be combined as one chapter.

One thing there when you stutter you drag like parts of words so it will be like h-hi Ma-Ma-att or something like that.

He actually comes off pretty scary in that moment so if that's what you wanted great job.

Also very true.

“But-I just-” her words muddled together into a frustrated wordlessness and she fell into silence as she watched him ride away. She couldn't find anything else to say to convince him not to leave. She didn't know who he was, but he wasn't the cowboy she met in the bar or even the one she hung out with at Laura and Kaleb’s. He was someone else entirely, and nothing in that journal made sense to her without context. It was all so vague anyway. It was almost like he wrote expecting someone would snoop and read it.

Great showing of her emotions. Also some great dialogue in that earlier scene. It sounded very realistic.

Well someone broke their promise.

On her way out of the church she had seen it: a gravestone, with a very ornate stone cross. It stuck out from the rest, as something was lying on top of it. The village leader had noticed her gaze and explained to her who the grave belonged to. He said, "It was a mysterious man. No one knew him, but he ended up in our town asking about bandits and highwaymen." The priest explained that bandits had pretty much taken over the village at the time, demanding money from their trades and goods for the bandits to use to rob travelers. The mysterious man stood up against them but lost his life finishing off their leader. The priest suspected the man had prior dealings with this crew of bandits since he fought them with a deep-seated passion and a lack of remorse.

This whole piece is positioned really well. This bit of exposition comes at what feels like the perfect place for it.

And that's it for this chapter. Another one done.

Overall: The plot is now like paused. Besides the get out of the forest there doesn't sound like there's anything going on besides surviving potential goblin attacks. Also they were in the forest for quite a while. Did the goblins just lose track or something? It's only now that Clandestine is near some civilization. Besides that everything is going pretty smoothly. On to the next chapter.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:33 pm
mellifera wrote a review...

hey sound! I'm back for more? already? I know, a record. There may come a day where I'm not consistent but Alas.

because a book was on her face.

Okay but falling asleep with the book so Mattjames can find out she was snooping is much better than if he had suddenly and conveniently woken up in the night. and it's very Clandestine-esque.

she shot up

Does this mean she sits up quickly or that she leaps to her feet? Because I thought she just kinda sat up quickly but then there's this line:

this time scuttling back a few steps with her heels in the dirt.

which makes me think that she got to her feet? But uh, yeah maybe specify that haha.

"I meant to wake you" says the person who just woke up.

Okay so just, quickly? Uh, I'm not a fan of the stuttering that l-l-looks like t-t-this? Because when usually when you're stumbling in real life, you don't trip over one letter, you trip over words? I mean, breaking words up is one th-thing, but personally I don't really like the "tripping over only the first letter" thing.

for the first time in her travels with him, it hit her in her gut that she really, [.i]really[./i] didn't know him at all.

(kept the coding issues in just so you were aware of it ;) )
well you know he's a liar.

"Sorry that you read it or sorry that I caught you?"

OOF but I'm still on Clandestine's side because I love her he was lying to her. I mean, yes, she invaded his privacy, but Matt's the one lying that made her feel the need to in the first place.

She might've read his journal, but she had a right to be upset too.

GO CLANNY.

I know we've passed the point but HERE'S THE FIGHT I knew it.

she wrenched her fingers into tense arches

I'm? not sure what this is supposed to mean?

Wow? His personality shifted really drastically and like, I get he's upset at Clandestine but,, wow. It's a little odd to me that they seemed like they were getting along okay- and I get that tension was building over time because Clandestine was getting suspicious and Matt was getting tired of lying and stuff, and there was that time skip, but he just, flips a switch and doesn't care at all anymore. And I know he's not Matt at all, but his friendship towards Clandestine felt genuine in his earlier chapters? I mean, maybe it's just because I don't know what he's running through in his mind while all this is happening, and I don't know why he was lying in the first place. But I figured I'd say something about it, even if there's a reason for it that I'm not aware of yet.

He was someone else entirely, and nothing in that journal made sense to her without context.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY so I figure you meant for the transition to be sudden like that? I think my only thing is maybe I would have liked to see a little bit of it before in Matt's chapters, because he's either acting when he's Matt or when he's this blank, emotional slate, or he's acting a little for both. if,,, that makes any sense haha.

It was almost like he wrote expecting someone would snoop and read it.

If he was expecting someone would snoop then it was because he knew he was a bad liar and expected if someone was with him, they'd get fishy of him?

then slid her hand up to brush through his short hair.

it's called a forelock ;)
the horses will always be there for you, Clanny. that's why we put our trust in horses and not foolish men.

sniffing in an incoming snot tear.

a what?

Aw man. I don't approve of Clandestine snooping in the first place but I know it had to happen and stuff but I feel so bad for her now. She just wants a Real Friend who won't leave and it makes it kinda tragic that, if you think about it, that's the reason she snooped. I mean, the way I think about it anyway haha - she wanted to know more about him so she wouldn't lose him and yet, here we are.

Clandestine has had a rough time rip. I'm kinda wondering if Cowboy isn't really dead though? Like, maybe he is and I'm just way too suspicious because of everything that's going on, but I kinda wonder if that wasn't like, a ploy, or a mistake. I don't know WHY it would be, or anything. Just a Feeling.

Also, I'm wondering is Clandestine having magic is going to become a Big Thing at some point? She doesn't really seem like the big, whoosh, fancy kind of sorcerer, but she still has magic and uses it and stuff. I'm curious to see how that will eventually play into the plot and where it's going to go now that Matt has left? I figure we'll find out more about Matt while he's off stomping and being all blank and grumpy, and I have a feeling Clandestine is going to get herself in trouble or something.

I'm just grasping at straws here at this point haha.

Okay! That's all I've got for this review! Let's see if I can squeeze another review in here because I really want to know what's going on now- but I might not be able to cause I gotta hop in a second here. Either way!! Yay (I mean, not for Matt leaving and Clanny being upset, but yay for starting to catch up...?)

I hope you're having a wonderful time!

soundofmind says...

YOOOO thanks for the tips on the stuttering. I'll have to fix that when I get a chance!! THANK U FOR YOUR REVIEWS!!

I wish that was the reason, but he's really just that paranoid.

I'm kinda wondering if Cowboy isn't really dead though?

Aww... that's a nice thought. But if he didn't die by violence he'd probably die from something else. It's a rough world out there.

But yeah oh man it's sad... Clandestine just wants friends. :(

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:12 am
Omni wrote a review...

Okay I’m super excited to read this part, so let’s jump right in!

Oh no, Clandestine fell asleep with the book? That’s some terrible sleuthing right there, Clandestine. If you’re going to read someone’s diary, at least put it back so they hopefully wouldn’t notice lol. This is NOT gonna go over well.

I’m liking how you’re presenting this. Her not knowing him really shows here, to the point that she realizes it. Now, all of a sudden, he is a stranger, or worse yet, an enemy. The thing is, she just doesn’t know.

And the confrontation is down! Honestly, it’s starting out differently than I thought. I completely thought Clandestine would confront James about all of this, but thinking back on it, I can completely understand why you chose this route. Clandestine would never really confront him, not unless provoked. So Matt had to do the provoking, but while he was wanting to leave he also knew he couldn’t really leave with no reason. But he finally found one with Clandestine reading his journal. It’s all just a great sequence of actions that lead to one another very naturally (except for the rough beginning, but I already pointed that out in my previous reviews so I won’t continue that here). Okay, let’s see how this is going to play out.

Oh god, that ending. That actually hurt. Wow. I just, I don’t have words for it, but I’m gonna try to do so. We find out what happened to the last cowboy, and oof that, that is powerful. I don’t believe for a second that Clandestine isn’t going to go after Matt, but now we have more of a reason why. He reminds her of “cowboy”, which is so sad. And, like it or not, a part of her has fallen for him some way. Maybe not a lust way like I thought before, but definitely a love or a bond. What a powerful ending. In the end, they both got what they wanted. Matt got to leave and Clanny got to be right about him lying. Just, neither in the way they wanted. Boy, I have to read the next chapter part, just to see where this goes!

soundofmind says...

So Matt had to do the provoking, but while he was wanting to leave he also knew he couldn%u2019t really leave with no reason. But he finally found one with Clandestine reading his journal.

Yes exactly :)))))

AND YAY!! the ending hurt :)))) yES. Good.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...

This is really good! Sad, but still good! I think it was perfectly executed! I love the emotion, the detail, and how well it is written. I think the ending is my favorite, and it is a cliffhanger ending! I can't wait for another chapter! There is one sentence that might need a little work:
"really didn't know him at all."
That was all!

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much!! I'm glad you're still keeping up and reading <3

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:05 am

Just a few grammatical errors

“he moved and Elliott forward.”
“but her throat forming knots.”

His sentence ... should be fixed somehow, it’s too confusing and wordy. Should be split up or something
“It stuck out from the rest in front of the church with something on top of it.”

soundofmind says...

BLESS, I think I fixed 'em

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory