z

Young Writers Society



The Lost Dragon 26

by soundofmind


Chapter 26: In Which Clandestine is Severely Lacking Vitamin D

It was dark.

When Carter wasn't around, Clandestine was left alone in the darkness. The light from behind her would go out, like a curtain passing over it, and the thick steel door would shut, leaving her in total silence. She couldn't hear what was going on outside that door, or beyond the walls around her, and it was a small, small room. And she still couldn't move.

Whenever Carter came and left, he would make sure she was dosed up enough with darknight - that was the name of the drug, which she'd found out eventually - that she couldn't fight back.

When she closed her eyes, it felt just like when she was trapped in that coffin. Locked away in time. Kept secret, and forgotten. Trapped, unable to move or escape, and forgotten. What made this worse was that she was awake for all of it. When Sylva had locked her away, at least she'd been kind enough to put her out, unconscious, so she didn't have to sit in the agonizing silence, stuck alone with her thoughts.

At the moment, she would give anything for a distraction that wasn't Carter and his questions. And his stories. And his cryptic comments about James, who he kept calling Tiberius, just like everyone else who didn't know him.

When he finally let her talk and lessened the darknight dose, she'd wanted so badly to tear into him, and - well, she didn't know. Breathe fire in his face, or something. Even though she'd never done that before.

But when it happened, all she could do was sob.

It had been humiliating.

It was still humiliating.

She had been alone for almost a year until she had met James, wandering through the Isles and the deserts, trying to find something to tie her to this time. Something to live for.

First, it had been Cowboy. Then, it was monster hunting. Then, it had been Lynette - a young harpy, who she'd helped get home. And it was supposed to be monster hunting again because that would've made sense, but she just couldn't picture traveling alone again. Billy had always been by her side, but Billy wasn't the same as a person to talk to, even if he was a good friend. He was still a horse.

When she'd met James, she figured she'd just take a shot in the dark. Find a person, extend an invitation. It wasn't like she knew anybody. The worse he could've said was no, but he'd said yes.

And yeah, things got really messy after that yes, but he'd still said yes. And they'd become friends. Sort of. Almost. They were only really just actually getting to know each other when...

Clandestine swallowed. She'd already run out of tears to cry. She was so hungry, so thirsty, so stiff, and so tired, all that came was a shadow of a feeling. A pit in her stomach.

All of this was her fault, wasn't it? Everyone always left.

Or got taken away.

And now it was back to the darkness, being trapped and kept as someone else's secret prize, even though she didn't understand what he really wanted from her, and what made her so special.

She took in a deep breath. As deep as she could, without it hurting.

The only thing that kept her warm in the cold, stale air of the cell was a fire in her belly that wouldn't go away. When the hunger got to be too much, and when her mind felt like a foggy swamp, she would focus on the fire in her belly, and take deep breaths. Even though she couldn't quite use magic, she could still feel it, on the inside. The warmth would spread from her belly, into her chest, and down to her hands and feet. It would come up her throat and tingle throughout her head, like when you sat next to a fire on a cold, snowy day.

She was getting the hang of it. Breathing in, breathing out, letting the warmth spread, and focusing on where it went, and how warm it got. She could never make a fire, but she could feel it under her skin, ready to escape. It was like what she would try to do before when she tried to make a fire, but this felt more like home. She wasn't focusing so much on making the fire happen as she was focusing on letting it flow through her like the blood in her veins. As natural as breathing.

She wondered if she got the chance - if Carter ever made a mistake in the dosage, or if she could figure out the window of time that it started to fade, just before he'd come by again if she could... try. Try to make a flame. Something.

Escaping was probably never going to happen, but she could settle for surprising Carter with a burn or two.

She closed her eyes again and breathed in, and out.

If James were around, she would've told him she was meditating. Focusing on breathing. That's what the mages at her guild used to do sometimes. When she would sneak through the halls and peek in every open door (and unlocked ones), sometimes she would interrupt guild members trying to focus, and they would shoo her away, annoyed.

Sylva had tried to make her meditate from time to time, but it had never stuck. Clandestine had never been able to stay still, and those practices would end very quickly when she'd get up and run away. Or fall asleep.

And maybe she hadn't gotten that much better at it, because as she breathed steady breaths, she started to drift off.

Until suddenly, she was in a forest.

Clandestine stood with her feet glued to the ground, and she stared down at her hands. She flexed her fingers, and turned her hands over and over, stretched out her arms, turned her head.

She... she could move. This had to be a dream.

She took in a deep breath, looking up at the trees that towered high above her, reaching for the sky with pointed tips and needles that feathered out towards the ground. The air was crisp and clean, and she was standing at the bottom of a slope that arched upwards. Deep in her gut, she knew where she was without knowing it. She was on a mountain near the borders of the Moonlight Kingdom. Or more accurately, she was at the base of it, looking up at its steep incline, and at the bright blue sky above.

She hadn't realized how much she'd missed the sky and the sunshine until she was staring up at it, with tears in her eyes.

She didn't know how much time had passed since she'd been trapped in her cell, but even if this was a dream - and it had to be, it had to be - she was thankful for it.

She blinked, and let tears stream down her cheeks. They felt cold, and the air bit at her skin as a breeze came from her left, cutting through her clothes and making her shiver.

It was in the Moonlight Kingdom, alright.

Finally, she was able to move her feet. She took a step forward, but she hesitated. Something about it felt wrong, like she wasn't supposed to go that way. She looked around, at the patches of snow on the ground, at the piles of dead pine needles and the rocks jutting out from the base of the mountain. She knew she was supposed to go somewhere, but she didn't know where. Dreams were funny like that.

Then she heard hoof-steps from behind her.

Her heart jumped in her chest, and she spun around.

"Billy!" she cheered. But her smile fell as quickly as it came.

That was not Billy.

Clandestine stared wide-eyed at a horse, with a horn coming out of its head, between its eyes and ears. It had long hair, and it was white as snow. Clandestine could see clouds of its breath coming out of its nostrils, and it nodded its head, nickering. It was a unicorn. A creature she'd only ever heard stories about in the guild.

"I..." she glanced around, wondering where it'd come from.

The horse nodded again, pointing to the left with its nose.

"You... want me to follow?"

The horse nodded in what seemed like an agreement.

Well, it was a dream. She might as well.

Clandestine walked up to the horse and rested her hand on its side.

"Can I ride you?"

There was no answer, so she took it as a yes. She wasn't looking forward to riding bareback, but it was better than chasing down a unicorn through the forest. Once she mounted on its back and grabbed a tuft of its mane, the unicorn rushed ahead, carrying them around the base of the mountain. She could feel the cold air rushing past, and the trees around her became a blur in the sides of her vision. She wasn't sure how long they rode through the forest until they slowed down, coming to a low stop in the mountain; a cavern of rocks.

The unicorn stopped before the rocks dipped, and led into what looked like a small cave-like opening.

Clandestine hopped off and looked back at the unicorn with a smile.

"Thanks for the ride," she said.

The unicorn nodded and then pointed its snout towards the cave. Clandestine understood.

She got down on her hands and knees and slid down the slippery slope of a rock until she hit flat ground, where she was able to wind her way to it. The walls of rock around her made the opening narrow, but she was small enough to fit.

Once she made it to through the hole into the mountain, it turned into a jagged tunnel. She had to squeeze and bend to maneuver her way through it, but something was driving her forward.

She could feel the fire in her belly growing hotter. Stronger. The further down the tunnel she went, the more it felt like it was burning. The cold air from the mountain stopped bothering her, and it was like she had her own little fireplace living inside her.

Then, she saw a light, and she rushed forward. The tunnel opened up into something more, and she knew there was something at the end of it--

The light in the room was back on, and Clandestine's eyes shot open.

Carter was standing right in front of her, and he was looking her up and down.

Clandestine was sweating.

Not because of Carter though. Because of the dream.

Clandestine could feel the fire still there in her stomach. Raging, as he walked closer.

"I hope you slept well, Clandestine. You're about to make yourself useful."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:20 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



SOUND!

I'm back. Let's goooooo!

But when it happened, all she could do was sob.


Ahh, the ever vague "it" -- when what happened?

All of this was her fault, wasn't it? Everyone always left.


Awww, my heart </3 why do you do me like this?

It would come up her throat and tingle throughout her head, like when you sat next to a fire on a cold, snowy day.


This is really nice imagery! I like it a lot. Making this a relatable feeling so that I can experience more what it is poor Clandestine is going through.

Deep in her gut, she knew where she was without knowing it.


Another directly contradictory statement xD I feel like I get the gist of what you mean, but this is still a confusing way to put it.

She didn't know how much time had passed since she'd been trapped in her cell, but even if this was a dream - and it had to be, it had to be - she was thankful for it.


I really like this sentence! I think maybe emphasizing the second "it had to be" somehow might be good, though? Maybe like "it had to be" for the second one? Because like the way I'm interpreting it is the second one is a little more forceful, so make that clear?

Something about it felt wrong, like she wasn't supposed to go that way.


I swear to god if Carter is doing a mean mind trick on Clandestine I will go into this novel and beat him myself >:[

It was a unicorn. A creature she'd only ever heard stories about in the guild.

"I..." she glanced around, wondering where it'd come from.

The horse nodded again, pointing to the left with its nose.


You and your taxonomic atrocities tsk tsk. You say it's a unicorn then call it a horse like twice then go back to calling it a unicorn. *waves smiting sword disapprovingly*

Carter was standing right in front of her, and he was looking her up and down.


I! Don't! Trust! You!

"I hope you slept well, Clandestine. You're about to make yourself useful."


Okay, now I'm super not sure how I feel about Carter. When he was first introduced I really liked him, like the broody ranger type. Those are my favorite kinds of characters. But now I feel like he's a secret jerkface and I am gonna be so mad if he hurts Clandestine cause that's NOT COOL BRO.

Anyway, nice chapter! Really enjoyed reading it! Don't have much more to say here.

~Shady




soundofmind says...


clearly i have made a bad habit of contradictory statements and calling animals the wrong thing lol

THANK U FOR REVIEW !!



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:41 am
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Okay sound. I have just one bone to pick with you before I move on to actually commenting on this story. And it's essentially that I saw a line of dialogue in your fantasy novel that I have seen in other fantasy stories. And uh I just kinda wanted to quote it here and see if you saw my issue with it.

"Can I ride you?"


So now let's move on to other content in this whole thing.

When I'm reading any of your chapters, I'm being bombarded with all sorts of information. Even earlier on in the chapters that weren't so action heavy. It's clear from this style and the way that you're writing that you have a lot that you're trying to get out to the audience. I am grateful when writers decide to actually share important details with their readers. However, I think you might need a little bit of an adjustment in the delivery department so it doesn't feel like we're wading through it all at once. As I go through these chapters I think I know what I'm now going to comment on and give recommendations for.

In the previous chapter I became somewhat acquainted with the magic system and learned that your little dynamic duo had been split up. In this chapter, it did take me a little while to remember what role Carter had played earlier on. I think I was initially getting him mixed up with someone else and wondering where your different characters had diverged after I had been reading this regularly. Despite my comments above about the influx of information, it was interesting to learn about Clandestine's life and to have a bit more of a reveal when it came to dragon magic. I feel sort of bad for the traumas that your characters are suffering even though it's necessary for the plot line.

Another critique on the physical writing in this chapter is the ending. I am rather mixed on this type of cut away scene because it is its own type of filler. It's something that writers use to bounce between two scenes when there's not a particularly clear transition in site. Now, I have not read the chapter that comes after this point, but I am just getting bad vibes from the first part of what you have going on here. You're going from the dream scape to suddenly waking up to being pulled out of a trance and then thrown into another action scene. So we'll just have to see where it's going to go from here.

Have a nice night.
- Jack




soundofmind says...


Ahh yes, there is a lot going on. Lots of information, and I know while I was writing these last 20 or so chapters (during nano and all) I was trying to figure out how to panickedly compile all of it in a way that made sense - but I know it's still probably pretty messy and info-heavy! I'm not sure how to adjust the delivery of all of it yet tbh, but I do know it might take me some time before I'm able to look back at all of this with fresh eyes. I will for sure take your critiques into account when I look back at this!

AND!! Thank you so much for another review! :) I appreciate the feedback!



User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 4325
Reviews: 135

Donate
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 pm
View Likes
SilverNight wrote a review...



Hey there sound! I'm back for more. I love the chapter title you went with! c:

It was dark.

When Carter wasn't around, Clandestine was left alone in the darkness. The light from behind her would go out, like a curtain passing over it, and the thick steel door would shut, leaving her in total silence. She couldn't hear what was going on outside that door, or beyond the walls around her, and it was a small, small room. And she still couldn't move.

Whenever Carter came and left, he would make sure she was dosed up enough with darknight - that was the name of the drug, which she'd found out eventually - that she couldn't fight back.

When she closed her eyes, it felt just like when she was trapped in that coffin. Locked away in time. Kept secret, and forgotten. Trapped, unable to move or escape, and forgotten. What made this worse was that she was awake for all of it. When Sylva had locked her away, at least she'd been kind enough to put her out, unconscious, so she didn't have to sit in the agonizing silence, stuck alone with her thoughts.


Oooooh, I can easily imagine what this might look like. Not too good for Clandestine, of course. It's probably a silent panic room/cell at this point. I know I'd hate to be trapped in there...

Most of the first few paragraphs start with "when" or "whenever", which can look and feel a little strange. Repetition is easy to miss when you're writing it, but can stand out to a reader. There's plenty of ways to fix it though, by either changing the phrasing or using something else for it! For example, "every time she closed her eyes", or "after Carter had come and left" are a few ways to work around it!

First, it had been Cowboy. Then, it was monster hunting. Then, it had been Lynette - a young harpy, who she'd helped get home. And it was supposed to be monster hunting again because that would've made sense, but she just couldn't picture traveling alone again. Billy had always been by her side, but Billy wasn't the same as a person to talk to, even if he was a good friend. He was still a horse.

When she'd met James, she figured she'd just take a shot in the dark. Find a person, extend an invitation. It wasn't like she knew anybody. The worse he could've said was no, but he'd said yes.

And yeah, things got really messy after that yes, but he'd still said yes. And they'd become friends. Sort of. Almost. They were only really just actually getting to know each other when...


I'm not sure what she means by "Cowboy". Was that the person who saved her from the coffin? I can't remember if that was what she called him, but that's on me ;-;

Billy absolutely counts as a good friend despite being a horse. :P

The last line is really sad-- she really does think he must be dead. Clandestine doesn't seem to be done grieving his "death" yet, but hopefully James will get there soon! I think the sentence doesn't need both "really" and "actually" in it, so it might be a little better if one of those adverbs was removed.

The only thing that kept her warm in the cold, stale air of the cell was a fire in her belly that wouldn't go away. When the hunger got to be too much, and when her mind felt like a foggy swamp, she would focus on the fire in her belly, and take deep breaths. Even though she couldn't quite use magic, she could still feel it, on the inside. The warmth would spread from her belly, into her chest, and down to her hands and feet. It would come up her throat and tingle throughout her head, like when you sat next to a fire on a cold, snowy day.

She was getting the hang of it. Breathing in, breathing out, letting the warmth spread, and focusing on where it went, and how warm it got. She could never make a fire, but she could feel it under her skin, ready to escape. It was like what she would try to do before when she tried to make a fire, but this felt more like home. She wasn't focusing so much on making the fire happen as she was focusing on letting it flow through her like the blood in her veins. As natural as breathing.


After the last chapter's reveal, this part is really exciting. I'm guessing this might lead up to something special! It feels a bit like a foreshadowing of the discovery of new abilities. The description is also pretty great.

She wondered if she got the chance - if Carter ever made a mistake in the dosage, or if she could figure out the window of time that it started to fade, just before he'd come by again if she could... try. Try to make a flame. Something.

Escaping was probably never going to happen, but she could settle for surprising Carter with a burn or two.


I hope that you burn~ sorry

She took in a deep breath, looking up at the trees that towered high above her, reaching for the sky with pointed tips and needles that feathered out towards the ground. The air was crisp and clean, and she was standing at the bottom of a slope that arched upwards. Deep in her gut, she knew where she was without knowing it. She was on a mountain near the borders of the Moonlight Kingdom. Or more accurately, she was at the base of it, looking up at its steep incline, and at the bright blue sky above.


This forest is described really well! We know she realizes it's in the Moonlight Kingdom instinctively, but if you wanted, there could be some fun things you could give as identifying details to this forest. If she were to see this place in real life, what would be the things from her dream that she'd recall most clearly? Maybe the kinds of trees around her, or the background animals that are present, or a distinctive mountain shape? You can get really creative with this too!

"Billy!" she cheered. But her smile fell as quickly as it came.

That was not Billy.

Clandestine stared wide-eyed at a horse, with a horn coming out of its head, between its eyes and ears. It had long hair, and it was white as snow. Clandestine could see clouds of its breath coming out of its nostrils, and it nodded its head, nickering. It was a unicorn. A creature she'd only ever heard stories about in the guild.


I find it funny how she's almost disappointed it's a unicorn. Come on, Clandestine, we know it's not Billy, but unicorns are awesome cx

There was no answer, so she took it as a yes. She wasn't looking forward to riding bareback, but it was better than chasing down a unicorn through the forest. Once she mounted on its back and grabbed a tuft of its mane, the unicorn rushed ahead, carrying them around the base of the mountain. She could feel the cold air rushing past, and the trees around her became a blur in the sides of her vision. She wasn't sure how long they rode through the forest until they slowed down, coming to a low stop in the mountain; a cavern of rocks.


This must be a really realistic dream, since we're getting details like the cold air instead of just a purely visual description! Hmmmm... maybe it's a vision!

She could feel the fire in her belly growing hotter. Stronger. The further down the tunnel she went, the more it felt like it was burning. The cold air from the mountain stopped bothering her, and it was like she had her own little fireplace living inside her.

Then, she saw a light, and she rushed forward. The tunnel opened up into something more, and she knew there was something at the end of it--

The light in the room was back on, and Clandestine's eyes shot open.


Of course it ends before we see what it is though, ahhhhhhh.

Clandestine could feel the fire still there in her stomach. Raging, as he walked closer.

"I hope you slept well, Clandestine. You're about to make yourself useful."


Uh oh. That doesn't sound too good! I like the mix of drama and suspense we get from what he says to wrap up the chapter.

Thanks again for your writing! I'm still loving it all. <3





We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer