Petty Hypocrisy (It's a Pity It's Me)

by soundofmind

Barely worthy of dry attention

My creativity’s sub-par
So I best keep it hidden
In layers of reassurance

Just a quick read-through
Is all I desire
You don’t have to like it
Just let it catch fire

(On your mouth)

I promise my words
Are more than just breathy
Puffs of pride and envy
For not being seen

I say I don’t need it -
The praise that is due
Because really it’s not
And it won’t come from you

(This I know is true)

And for the few who matter 
I fear what you’ll say -
That my work is just garbage,
And my ideas are cliche

So I hide in self pity
So no one will know
I am quiet, and silent
(And I never grow)

MandlynProductions wrote a review...

This is certainly a interesting depiction on criticism, with several mistakes of course.
For one, it appears that the punctuation is all but nonexistent, this has a high chance of being intentional but it just offers zero transition.
For two. It feels very hastly put together and seems choppy, this is a big mistake that aspiring authors make (including me).
And for three, there is no pattern, poems gain grammatical strength when they are done in a format, this might be a unintentional mistake but it can really damage your work.
Besides from those issues, the poem is realistic and intriguing.

acm wrote a review...

Hi soundofmind, acm here for a review! This poem was really relatable, especially for me, since I feel this way quite a lot. Your poem had great imagery, too. I especially loved how you described the words catching fire on the reader's mouth. I also liked the rhyming a lot. It was subtle enough that it didn't take over the poem, but it still helped the flow of it. I just had a few things I was wondering about the poem.

I didn't really understand the purpose of the parenthesis. Maybe this is just me not understanding the poem well, but having them made it seem like there was a second voice besides the narrator's, which I don't think would fit with the poem. If you took the parenthesis away and left the lines inside of them, the poem would flow together better. It's just a suggestion, though.

Second, I noticed that there wasn't much punctuation. In a couple stanzas, you had dashes and commas, but in the rest there was nothing. By putting in commas, you could show how one line relates to another, or just show that there is a pause. You could add periods to show that the idea is final or emphasise and ending. The poem will read much better if you have some other forms of punctuation.

That's all I have in the way of a review. I really liked your poem, and thought that it had great description. I can't wait to read more of your poetry!
--acm

reikann wrote a review...

Hello! I think you found the correct audience for this poem, first of all - the emotions expressed by this poem are ones most authors can or have felt themselves at one point. So pretty much everyone here comes in biased - including me, I'm not ashamed to say.
I like the concept behind desires the narrator expresses here. They seem most exemplified by the lines 'just let it catch fire/(on your mouth)' - the narrator is pretending not to want the attention, because how sad is that, but does yearn for fame and attention.
I especially like the way the final line is nested in parentheses. It shows self-awareness about the whole shebang.
I do find it interesting that the first line is half-separated from the rest of the first stanza. This separation makes it both a title and a part of the poem. I cannot help but wonder if that was intentional or not, however - it could be a formatting error.
The first stanza also does not rhyme, unlike the rest of the stanzas that roughly fit that format. This happens both in stanzas one and three, excluding the stand-alone lines. It works in the first stanza, but not quite as well in the third. In my opinion, the rhyme scheme there should be changed to help with the flow.

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much for your review!

Laurenh6 wrote a review...

Hey there! What you've written here is so powerful and quite relatable in many ways. I see the point you've conveyed, it's almost like we're persuading ourselves that we don't care what people think but actually we'll "never grow" out of the habit of almost craving the "reassurance". I like how you've described it as building up in "layers", that's quite creative in metaphorically showing that we cover these things up to come across as confident etc.

In addition, I think it's really interesting how you've put "let it catch fire (on your mouth)" ... that creates ambiguity to me. It gives me an image of burning the work- destroying it with words and criticisms. I'm not sure that's right but I like the idea of that.

Overall this is amazing and I can empathise with it totally - well done :)

soundofmind says...

Ahh, thank you so so much for the review!

But what about second breakfast?
— Peregrin Took