Little child

by khushi17bansal

The wind sighs, the clouds roll in, the rain pitter-patters down. The heady scent of rain, mud, greenery and life swirl through the air. The cool murky grey of the sky looms ahead, shrouding the horizon. Floating on the choppy sea, a little off the shore, is a little fishing boat. In the little fishing boat is a little child. Small, round, with large eyes. The child’s eyes are like people, they reflect what they see. The child’s head is raised to the endless sky, the rain drips on the child’s face.

The child has been here since the beginning of life. The child has seen the evolution of all beings, from the first cell to that last human. The child is the one constant in this universe, the child is Change.

The little child assumes the form of a little child most often because little children seem to be the few beings unafraid of change.

The rain falls, its thicker, harder. It pounds the sea. A funny thing the sea, like most wonderous things in this earth, the sea is a paradox. Calm below and raging above. Serene turquoise and stormy grey. Like the horizon, a non-existent destination. Like the sky, inky darkness, budding dawn all rolled in one. Like a person.

Like a life.

The rain is a time of joy, of happiness. Yet, the child has never felt happiness. Never.

Change is not a force. Change is melancholy.

Everything is melancholy. Happiness in not something that exists.

Everything ends, everything fades, even memory. Life is bittersweet, life ends. The last thing a person feels is the melancholia rising through their being, suffusing their memory, rising them to a plane of shared consciousness where living beings resonate with a shared feeling of bittersweet melancholy borne out of nostalgic memories of a happiness that ends in tears and a sadness that ends in laughter.

Then they die.

The rain has slowed now, the cool breeze picks up singing, the sky clears, the choppy sea clams. The murky blackness of night is drawn across the sky. Somewhere the stars twinkle, the moon rises.

The sea stills to a silky stretch of obsidian.

Everything is still. 

Sat May 25, 2024 2:19 am

First Impression: This was a powerful little tale. There's a lot packed in here for a work this compact and the message that it manages to bring across is quite powerful too.

Oooh well that is quite the little start here. Such a feeling of vastness introduced and the way you introduce Change there sitting there since the beginning present for every change to every happen. I think you've constructed this beginning amazingly here.

Like a life.

Oooh this is really dipping into some very powerful description there, really capturing the wonder of this world and how it relates to those concepts, and then to tie into Change itself I think was quite powerfully done.

Then they die.

Well that was quite a deep moment there. It really makes you wonder about the true nature of change and the effect that the passing of time tends to have. A really powerful paragraph that.

Everything is still.

Well that's quite the ending there, I think quite fitting for the tale that we were constructing up to now. You've done quite a good job there putting it all together. You really painted an amazing tale of change through just pure description there.

Overall: Overall a powerful little musing there, and Change being represented as a physical really brought some interesting thoughts to light there. Very nicely done.

Kate

khushi17bansal says...

Tue May 21, 2024 10:27 am
Kem6o wrote a review...

Hello there, I am here to write a quick review on your piece of work. Firstly I must say the language used is commendable. The adjectives used is beyond my vocabulary and I have rarely seen something so vibrant and interactive at the same time.
The description of the various natural elements fills the reader with awe. Also the way the child has been symbolically compared to 'change' is remarkable. I also admired how the story starts with all the description of the envirnment and slowly talks about change and the way it is has affected us all, and then how the story although abrupt but somehow ends satisfactorily.
The thing about melancholy is that it is different for everyone yet feels similar somehow. That part of the story is a little mystifying.
Later when we read that, the rain slows... it shows just how the life cycle doesn't end, and how it goes on repeating but still nonrepeating.

Grateful to be able to read such a heart warming story, I hope I learn something from here.

khushi17bansal says...

Thank you for the review!! I'm glad you liked it.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln