z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Trees Sing

by kathryn9613


The trees do sing, he told me.

I didn't believe him but, I listened.

The wind flowed through the trees,

And it hummed a soft tune.

Then all the birds followed with small chirps.

The light of the sun beamed through the leaves,

As sweet creatures came out to share their song.

Foxes, bears, insects of all kinds.

Every moment was an orchestra, filled with calls and whistles.

A moment of silence would be frightening,

But a gust of wind would start the song once more.

I turned to him and said,

The forest sings. He smiled.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 59
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 pm
View Likes
kathryn9613 says...



hopefully, I changed the things that were confusing. Thanks so much for your reviews! It really helps to have lots of awesome feedback.




User avatar


Points: 10
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 am
View Likes
pieceofcake says...



I really like it, very good poem, love to see more of you!




kathryn9613 says...


Thank you!!



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



I see you're fairly new here, so welcome to the YWS! :) I hope you enjoy your time.

This is a lovely poem. I like the imagery of the wind flowing through the trees, the lights of the sun beaming through the leaves and especially that comparison to an orchestra. You've captured that simple yet still so profound nature of the forest. And ah yes, that ending line was my favorite. All of the forest sings!

It's a shorter poem, and I think you could give us some more descriptions of the forest, maybe tell us about the "sweet creatures". But, of course, it's perfectly fine if you don't, because this poem is beautiful as it stands.

The lights of the sun beamed through the leaves,

I'm not sure if you intended for "lights" or just "light". I've never heard it this way before, and always considered the sun to have one light.

The forest sings, he smiled.

You were pretty consistent with your grammar, so I thought I'd point this out: the comma should be a period.

I'm happy to see you've shared this work of yours with us. It was pretty, and I loved it.
Keep up the writing!

~rosette




kathryn9613 says...


Wow! Thank you so much! When I was thinking about light through the leaves I imagined multiple rays, but after reading your review I think that using "light" sounds better. I will change the comma. Thank you for your review!



rosette says...


You're welcome (:



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:18 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hi there!

This reminds me of the kinds of poems I wrote when I started writing poetry - I wrote a lot about nature. I don't write as much poetry now, but I have a couple thoughts on this for you today.

I like the near-repetition of the first and last lines.

The trees do sing, he told me.


I turned to him and said,

The forest sings, he smiled.


I'm a little confused by this line.

A moment of silence was frightening.


While the song of the forest is lovely, why would the silence be frightening? What made all the creatures suddenly fall silent?

I'd also like to know some of the specific creatures. You start off nicely with birds chirping, but then the poem gets really vague, talking about "creatures" and "animals." Are we hearing frogs? Crickets? Chipmunks? Squirrels? What kinds of noises are they making? You don't need to include all of these things, but more detail would make this a stronger poem.

Image




kathryn9613 says...


Okay! Thanks so much for your review. I'll add more detail to the part you talked about. Thank you!!




No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates