z

Young Writers Society



Lions, Tigers and Bears; Oh My!

by hobbitlover2012


“The exotic pet trade is the trade of live animals, not domesticated and are not typically native to developing countries” (Kennedy, 2014-2015). “Exotic ownership is not a relatively new phenomenon” (Miller, 2003). A baby animal may be all cute, but once they grow up they are mean and the safety of the owner is at risk. The first effect is the suffering animals face during capture and transportation from one place to the next. The second effect is animals suffer from poor treatment. The third effect is the threat of disease on the human population. For all exotic pets they suffer from being captured and then transported.

The first effect is how the animals suffer during being captured and being transported from one place to the next. “For every animal the journey begins from Australia, Africa or from the jungles of Brazil” (“Inside the Exotic Pet Trade”, n.d.). When many animals are captured they usually change hands and suffer grueling transport conditions. For example, “parrots might have their beaks and feet taped and be stuffed into plastics tubes that can be easily hidden in luggage when going through airport security” (“Inside the Exotic Pet Trade”, n.d.). These animals can suffer immensely at the hands of dealers who sell them to pet shops and to zoos throughout the world. Exotic animals do not just suffer from transportation and from being captured. They can also suffer from poor treatment.

The second effect is the poor treatment animals receive. Tony the tiger is one example of how many animals are enduring poor treatment from their owners. Tony the tiger has endured fourteen years of confinement at a Tiger Truck Stop in Grand Tete, Louisiana. There Tony is the roadside attraction for this truck stop, he is subjected to taunts, stares and anything else one can imagine. While there Tony is exposed to exhaust fumes and loud traffic noises. Though in 2006 Louisiana prohibited the sale and ownership of big cats, Tony the Tiger’s owner is still permitted to keep him. As long as the owner, Michael Sandlin, files for a permit each year that he still wants Tony the Tiger (“Keeping Tiger’s in Captivity: An Ideal Conservation Solution or a Sham?”, n.d.). Like animals, humans can be exposed to life threatening diseases.

The last effect is the life threatening diseases exotic animals can bring to humans. Many of the animals carry around diseases that can easily kill humans. According to Born Free USA, “eighty to ninety percent of all macaque monkeys are infected with Herpes B-virus or Simian B, a virus that is harmless to monkeys but often fatal in humans” (“Dangers of Keeping Exotic “Pets””, n.d.). “In 1975, an important increase of salmonellosis in humans related to turtles was the cause for banning the sale of turtles with carapace length of four inches or less in the USA” (Hidalgo, Diaz, Perez, de Frutos-Escobar and Herrero, 2008). “Parrots and other exotic birds can transfer potentially deadly pathogens such as psittacosis, salmonella, and even avian tuberculosis to humans” (“Inside the Exotic Pet Trade”, n.d.). “Mumps, tuberculosis, and hepatitis are only a few of the diseases that can be transferred from humans to other animals and then back to humans” (“Overview of Zoonoses”,2006). When some people think of the exotic pet trade, they try and think of the positives, but there is nothing positive about it.

According to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), “the exotic pet trade is a multi-billion dollar industry, second only to drugs and weapons on the black market” (“Facts about the Exotic Pet Trade”, n.d.). “Millions of animals are forced into the exotic pet trade every year for the purpose of becoming someone's pet or for entertaining purposes in a circus or for a roadside zoo” (“A Life sentence: The Sad and Dangerous Realities of Exotic Animals in Private Hands”, 2010). The first effect is the suffering animals face during capture and transportation from one place to the next. The second effect is animals suffer from poor treatment. The third effect is the threat of disease on the human population. “The U.S. is the main destination for exotic and endangered wild animals” (Axtman, 2006). As one can see, there are a lot of different effects the exotic pet trade has on both the animal population and on humans as well.



























Works Cited

“Pets”, T. D. (n.d.). Retrieved from Born Free USA: www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=1...

A Life Sentence: The Sad and Dangerous Realities of Exotic Animals in Private Hands. (2010, September 7). Retrieved from Born Free USA: www.bornfreeusa.org/a3b_exotic_pe...

Axtman, K. (2006, July 26). “After Exotic Pets Are Rescued, What Next? Retrieved September 3, 2016, from The Christian Science Monitor.

Facts about the Exotic Pet Trade. (n.d.). Retrieved September 3, 2016, from Animal Planet: www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/fat...

Hidalgo-Vila, J., Díaz-Paniagua, C., Pérez-Santigosa, N., de Frutos-Escobar, C., & Herrero-Herrero, A. (2008, December ). Salmonella in free-living exotic and native turtles and in pet exotic turtles from SW Spain. Retrieved from ProQuest: swansong.asumh.edu:2074/docview/1...

Keeping Tigers in Captivity: An Ideal Conservation Solution or Selfish Sham? (n.d.). Retrieved September 2, 2016, from One Green Planet: www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsand...

Kennedy, E. (2014-2015). The Dangers of the Exotic Pet Trade: From Tigers to Turtles. Retrieved September 3, 2016, from The Wildlife Watch Binoculars: www.wildwatch.org/Binocular/bino0...

Miller, S. B. (2003, October 14). Lions and tigers as pets: Should they roam freely? ; recent mauling in las vegas and other incidents add to push to regulate booming trade in exotic pets. Retrieved September 2, 2016, from The Christian Science Monitor : swansong.asumh.edu:2074/docview/4...

Veterinary Public Health. (2006, September 6). Retrieved September 3, 2016, from Los Angeles County Department of Public Health: LAPublicHealth.org


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:09 am
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hey there! Welcome to YWS.

What an interesting and informative essay. I think this may be the first essay I've reviewed on YWS, but I have had to read/critique some of my classmate's essays.

First off, I love your title! Intriguing and relates to your topic.

I love the use of quotes you have; it adds an extra punch to the essay. Quotes are awesome and are a really good tool to informing the readers of something you can't really paraphrase (or something that is just so powerful you don't WANT to paraphrase it). However, as Junel said, I feel as if the quotes were a bit overused. The beginning, not so much. The second to last paragraph (your third point/effect) felt way to packed with quotes and not enough of your own writing. Some of these quotes could even be paraphrased. When pretty much just quotes make up your paragraph, it can seem as if it's not much of your writing.

The first effect is the suffering animals face during capture and transportation from one place to the next. The second effect is animals suffer from poor treatment. The third effect is the threat of disease on the human population.


This part from your conclusion paragraph, I think, could be tweaked a little. Restating your thesis (above) is always important in writing a conclusion, but this felt pretty much exactly word for word of your exact thesis. It also feels a bit choppy and repetitive, so I would probably combine the three into one sentence. Something like this:

Capture and transportation of animals, poor treatment towards animals, and threat of disease on the human population are examples of three outcomes of the exotic pet trade.


It's smoother and a bit more brief. Of course, using this word for word isn't necessary, but I thought I'd give you an idea!

The starts of your three body paragraphs seem a bit dull and repetitive. (The first effect, the second effect, the third effect). Even just switching the order of the words, like: The threats of human disease is the third effect of the exotic pet trade. It flows smoother and doesn't seem boring and repetitive while reading.

I think that's all! Lovely work on your essay and I hope this helps you out, with this essay or with futures.

~EternalRain




User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 3592
Reviews: 151

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:18 am
Junel wrote a review...



Hey there, this is really interesting and something very important to this day. Your essay is very informative and you back all of your problems with information.

There are a few things that you could improve on, one of these is you quote a ton, quotes are great and show that what you are saying is actually true, but you are almost overquoting here. You should only have one-two quotes per paragraph and overall shouldn't make up more than like 20%. You should also make sure to back up, and restate some of the information from your quotes.
Another thing to work on would be repetition. You repeat the statement "The first/second/third effect" find new ways to say this. Like: Another horrible effect
This helps spice up your essay making it more fun and making the reader want to read it because when you repeat one statement over and over it makes it seem like the entire essay is just one long repetition.
Working one these will improve the essay and your writing as a whole so I hope this is helpful to you.
Sláinte -Junel





Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler