Violence

Huntress: Chapter 3.2- Kennel [Edited]

by Featherstone

The hunting party turned and happily took me up on the invitation when what I was doing finally hit me. A dozen horse-sized beasts with fangs longer than my finger, and in some cases my forearm, that wanted nothing more than to exterminate me. I spun and ran for my life, vaulting from roof to roof through the town.

This was insane. I shouldn’t have done this.

No. They would survive!

There was a werewolf on my tail. I could hear it gaining as it sprinted after me.

I was a fast runner, but even I couldn’t rival the speed of a werewolf. I could hold out only another few minutes, not much longer.

Or I would have been able to. I felt my toe catch on something — a loose shingle, probably — and fell face first towards the ground. I grabbed the edge of the house, my fingers slipping on the smooth surface. The wolves were gathering beneath me, milling under my feet as I dangled precariously from the roof.

The lycanthrope that had been chasing me from roof to roof skidded to a stop above me. “Ground-licking, cowardly, deer-sired, newborn puppies, are we?” he snarled.

I didn’t answer, more focused on not falling than exchanging banter with him.

“Now the question becomes not will you die, but how painfully, yes?” I could smell his carrion-ridden breath.

“If I die, you’re coming with me, puppy,” I growled.

The innocent would survive!

“Am I now?” The bastard flicked the shingle under my left hand, sending it spiraling to the ground.

“Sure as hell.” I swung my left hand back up to grab onto the roof, but he slammed his paw down in the only place I could securely grasp.

My fingers were slipping — I didn’t have much longer.

I was going to die. I was finally going to die, after I’d been fighting for so long only to survive.

But the innocent would survive.

My hold fell as I knew it eventually would, sending me dropping through the air.

They didn’t even wait for me to hit the ground. A dire wolf pounced and intercepted me mid-flight, pinning me to the earth and going for my throat.

He toppled to the side, a cougar just as big as he on top of him. The cat yowled and sliced its adversary’s throat, then fell back to stand between me and the wolves. Was it protecting me?

A bit surprised at my sudden alliance with the creature, the pack retreated a ways, keeping their distance as they figured out a plan. It didn’t take them long to decide no matter what the risk, I needed to be killed. They charged all at once- no way out now.

A roar pierced the cacophony of wolf howls as a silver dragon about the size of a large horse flew in, slamming into a wolf and dispatching it in one smooth movement. It let out another thundering cry as it opened its maw and breathed not fire as one might expect, but thousands of silver shards.

What the hell was going on?

The two creatures leapt into melee combat as the wolves charged. Despite their efforts, there were only two of them and at least a dozen enemies. They couldn’t defend against them all.

Another dire wolf lunged at me, his fangs falling inches short of my face as I dodged. Weaponless, I knew I stood no chance- but I sure as hell was going to try. As the beast turned and leapt again, I darted to the side and grabbed his fur. In one smooth movement, I vaulted onto the canine’s back. It yowled and spun around, trying to bite me. Because of where I’d seated myself, the thing couldn’t actually reach me. It slammed me into a wall in an effort to dislodge me — I needed to figure something out, and fast.

My heart beat a million miles an hour…..fear took hold over my heart…..color disappeared from the world….

The Hunters had come to aid us. I knew this when I found myself standing among the dead wolves and soldiers in front of Inialos and a green-blue eyed man with dark blond hair. Behind them was a squadron of lower-ranking Hunters, aiding their wounded and recovering their weapons.

“Told you so,” Inialos said to the blond man.

“I never said you were incorrect,” the latter answered. “Although Evelyn will be rather irritated.”

Inialos came over to me, giving me a hand up. Normally I would have refused simply out of contempt, but by that point I was so shaken from all the events of that day I just accepted his help.

“You all right?” he asked me.

Wordlessly I nodded.

“Have you considered my offer?”

“Offer?” The second man asked.

“Are you really so surprised, Cougar?” Inialos asked him.

“No, but Evelyn’s going to have a fit.”

The Dragon shrugged. “Evelyn will live.” He turned back to me. “At any rate, are you going to come with us or not?”

My loyalty was with the Guild. It always had been. But now….Well, Lynx had lost my devotion. Ari and Felicia were the only ones who still had my allegiance, but I was sure that they’d escaped, and wasn’t it Ari himself who’d told me it was every person for themself?

I didn’t like it. I didn’t like the Hunters, I didn’t like the law. But it was that or die, and at this point, I’d fought to long to live to let life go simply because I followed a shattered pack with a leader who hadn’t any devotion to any of its members anyways.

And maybe, just maybe, I could have a new beginning.

“I’ll take yer offer,” I finally decided.

I would survive.

——————————————————-

So I found myself standing in the line of newbloods on our first day. Oh goodie, I got to join the Hunters. Yay.

There were perhaps forty of us from across the Plains, fidgeting and shifting and murmuring nervously. Ugh. What had I gotten myself into? Why hadn’t I just run when I had the chance?

But where would I have run? Straight into the wolves?

I threw my dagger into the dirt with such ferocity that it sank all the way to its hilt. I yanked it out of the soil and toyed with the glinting blade now dulled with a layer of dust. I’d changed my name, too, thinking that walking into a Hunter hold with a wolf name maybe wasn’t the best idea. I couldn’t quite get rid of my accent, but it was mostly gone, so I didn’t think most people would notice. Well, that’s what I hoped, anyways.

No longer was I Agrona, the Harbinger of Death. Now I was Tasha. Tasha Hunter. It was a relatively common human name and I didn’t want to stand out. That was why I’d chosen it.

We’d been kept waiting for the better part of an hour before the Guard Dog finally made her appearance. I didn’t know why she was there instead of the Cougar, but I didn’t really care.

“You call that attention?!” she snapped. “Well, it’s not! Show some proper respect!”

We all snapped to attention, me a bit more slowly than the others.

“So,” she said. “You’re the new batch of recruits.”

No, we were just the random citizens who decided to drop by. Didn’t that happen every day?

“Can’t say you look like much, but I suppose you’ll have to do. Not like we get enough recruits these days. At any rate, I guess now is when I brief you on what the next several years - if not the rest - of your life will look like.

“We’re much more than werewolf hunters. If you’re here to kill werewolves, you’ve come to the right place, but we double as light cavalry for the King’s army, law enforcement, and we deal with supernatural threats beyond those of the wolves- vampires and demons to name a few. There are three qualities which we are known for: equality, chivalry, and loyalty. This means you are expected to follow an honor code and you’re expected to treat anyone of your rank as an equal, regardless of whether you’re from a noble family or an orphan from the slums. Don’t like that, go now.

“The honor code is pretty straightforward: don’t be dishonest, keep your word, so on and so forth. Basically be a good person.

“Despite our many talents we have one primary goal: protect the innocent. We will fight, we will work, we will die for them- that is what we are and why we are. The Pack kills them as prey. We protect them.

“Moving on from our mission. Let me inform you about the rank system. There are seven ranks with seventh rank being you newbloods and first rank being myself, the Cougar, or the Dragon. Sixth ranks command squadrons of puppies; fifth ranks command companies that have multiple squadrons; fourth ranks lead battalions made of companies; third ranks lead legions of companies; second ranks lead armies of legions; and first ranks lead everything.

“As you know but I’m forced to tell you because of damn regulations, there are three leaders of the Hunters- me, Kolvar, and Inialos. I’m the Guard Dog, representing protection; Kolvar is the Cougar, representing leadership; and Inialos is the Dragon, for ferocity.

“You are expected to follow any and all orders from a superior officer- no ands ifs or buts. Don’t and you’ll find yourself in quite the predicament.

“Each of you will be assigned to a group of ten. You’ll be attending classes with your group to learn the basics. After your first year- if you pass the test- you’ll become an actual Hunter as opposed to a trainee. You’ll be assigned to a squadron and start earning your keep and get a dog to hunt with you. Beyond that, if you show you’re capable and ready, you’ll slowly work your way through the ranks. Some of you may even become a first rank, though by the looks of you its doubtful.”

The woman’s dog stared up at her. “Now that wasn’t very nice,” he growled up to her in Wolf.

Great. So now the dogs talked.

Evelyn ignored him and continued with her lecture, oblivious to my incredulous look. “Any questions?”

No one said a word.

“Good. As I say your name step forward. Oh, I forgot to mention- we do this by first name and middle name- if possible- not last. You’ll get your last name tacked on if there’s more than one of you with the same first name.

“Tanithal, Connak, Cameron, Alosrin, Sandevv, Ennan, Ethan, Keya, and Aila.”

The listed trainees stepped forward as a male Hunter approached. He was definitely a Northerner, with red hair, green eyes, and pale skin. He introduced himself as Ian, a second year seventh rank, and led the group towards the barracks.

She continued through the second list and the process was repeated. I tuned her out as I took in my surroundings more closely than before. The hold consisted of a large tower surrounded by tall stone wall and huge metal-reinforced wooden gates. There were spikes on the sides of the walls pointing downwards to ward off any wolves attempting to climb the structure and there were several archer towers within the walls. Besides that, there were stables, forges, a kennel, barracks, and supply buildings for surplus that couldn’t be stored beneath the tower. They’d left room to bring in evacuating citizens from Akaron or nearby villages as well.

“Tasha!” It took me a moment to realize she was addressing me. Inwardly cursing my new name, I hurried to join the group. Most of them were humans, indigenous to the plains as was obvious by their lightish brown complexions. There were a few halflings and gnomes from the desert, who’s skin was even darker than those from the plains, and one human who seemed to be half Plainsmen half Iiedoran. He had paler skin than most, with dark blonde hair and brown eyes.

The second-year that was to show us the ropes seemed to be the half-Northern boy’s brother- I could tell by scent. He had distinctly more Iiedoran blood, showing through his blonde hair and blue eyes. Despite this, however, his build still looked considerable more indigenous.

“I’m Scē,” the second-year told us. “I’ll be showing you the ropes. You have questions, you can come to me. I’m here to help. However, I’m also in charge. You are expected to follow my orders and my rules. I’ll tell you more about the former-”

“Latter,” his brother interrupted, earning a deathly glare from the elder of the two.

Latter,” he corrected. “When we get to the barracks. Any questions?”

Only silence answered him.

He proceeded to lead the way to the barracks, pointing out various buildings as we passed them- the stables, the kennel, the forges, the armory, so on and so forth.

The barracks themselves consisted of several sets of sturdy wooden bunk beds, a door, and walls. I threw my bag that contained what little I possessed up onto one of the top bunks as Scē started talking.

“Go ahead and get yourself a bed while I fill you in on the rules. They’re pretty basic- follow my orders, stay out of fights, and keep your stuff to your bunk. Classes start with the second bell. You’ll assemble here in right before breakfast, which is the first bell. I expect you to be in uniform -and that means a clean uniform- and presentable. None of that rumpled, stained, uniform kekh. Does anyone need clarification?”

Evidently we weren’t the most inquisitive bunch.

“You can find me just down the hallway where I’ll be with the other second-years. You can have the rest of today off except for getting your equipment. Stop by the armory for your uniform and weapons. You’re free to explore, just don’t get yourselves in trouble. Oh, when you assemble, just be in uniform and at attention in front of your bunk and next to your bunkmate.” With those words, Scē disappeared out the door, leaving us to figure things out ourselves.

The Northern boy took the bunk beneath me, but I didn’t really pay much attention. First things first: get equipment. Then I’d bother with the others in my class.

Leaving my bag, I returned to the outdoors. I was glad I hadn’t been forced to say anything- I didn’t want to speak much lest my accent be noticed.

Things were rather lively, with soldiers and workers moving to and fro with horses or supplies or weapons or messages. It took a bit of dodging that I probably wouldn’t have been able to pull off had I not spent those vital years with the Guild, but eventually I managed to get to the armory. Being in the second-to-last group to be assigned, there was already a very large line. Sighing, I got in the back of it.

The sky was pure blue without a cloud to mar it. The sun was reaching its zenith, leaving me baking in its heat without any shade to go to. Cursing the plains under my breath, I stepped to the front of the line. The Hunter who was at the desk with boxes of uniforms about them looked up at me, sized me up, grabbed a uniform, shoved it at me, and then waved me off towards the smith who was handing out weapons, all the while without saying a single word.

Without hesitation I went over to the smith. He, too, sized me up.

“What weapon d’ y’ prefer? After trainin’, you’ll get your permanent weapon. This’ll just be yer primary weapon temporarily.”

I was best in hand-to-hand combat, but after that it was melee. So either daggers or a sword and a dagger. The latter gave me more reach, but less maneuverability. Also, I hadn’t used a sword before. Daggers were something I knew well and that I could hide.

“Daggers,” I answered. “Melee, not t’e throwin’ type. Small ‘nough t’ hide, but longer t’an a normal one. If I’m fightin’ swords I need more reach t’an normal. Preferably a straight blade ‘r slightly curved. Iiedoran style if possible.”

“Y’ sure know yer blades t’ere, lass.” He turned and started looking over at one of the weapons racks filled with daggers. “Go ‘head ’n get yourself two. Y’ know what fits y’ best.”

“Yes, sir.” I obeyed. All the weapons were silver-washed and made of good quality steel. I picked up one of the gnomish blades- its balance was extraordinary. The weapons smith was no novice, that was for sure.

I found the Iiedoran knives rather quickly. There wasn’t much of a difference between Iiedoran and Plainsmen style, just the weighting and the proportions to some degree. The former was thinner and longer, made for more precision fighting. However, there was no way one could throw one or use it for anything but combat without much difficulty, where areas the Plainsmen’s blades were much more versatile.

I tested a few until I found the ones I liked. The blades were about the length of my forearm from my elbow to my wrist and no thicker than two of my fingers. Their balance was superb and when I tested the sharpness they drew blood. Perfect.

Grabbing a belt and sheathes for them, I buckled them on and headed back towards the barracks with my uniform.

It’d been one hell of a day.

Feltrix wrote a review...

Hello! I'm back! I'm going to try to finish chapter 3 today, maybe even chapter four.

I. It seems like Agrona gets a new allegiance every chapter (the Pack, the Guild, the Hunters). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will eventually get repetitive, and at some point you might want to show the passage of time in one group or another.

II. On the tone thing (I'm not sure this was clear in my last review, but I want to emphasize it), in the first chapter, the tone is grim, but submissive. Agrona's doing what she has to do, even though she doesn't like it. In the second chapter, it's actually kind of cheery. Agrona's found a place she belongs. And in this chapter, it's grim again, but a different kind of grim. It's more angry and defiant. Again, this isn't necessarily bad, but you may want to make the tone more steady to give the reader a more consistent sense of what Agrona' like.

III. I'm not sure you want to address this, but joining the hunters is exactly why she condemned Lynx, so it seems rather odd that she'd be so okay with doing it herself.

IV. "That was why I’d chosen it." I would take this out. You basically just said the exact same thing in the sentence before.

V. I'd like to see more personality from the Guard Dog. She's kind of cliché. If she was just going to show up then, then that would be okay, but it seems like she'll be an important character, so I'd add more to her.

VI. It seems like if Agrona really wants to blend in, still speaking with all of the Guild's slang is sort of a giveaway.

I liked this chapter, but I would have liked to see more descriptions of the fight in the beginning. It got a little confusing. I like the whole military-esque feel the Hunters have to them, and Agrona's obvious distaste about joining them. Or should I call her Tasha now?

Feltrix

So, is Tasha/Agrona a werewolf, or no? Because in the first bit she says this.

I was a fast runner, but even I couldn’t rival the speed of a werewolf.

Which makes it sound like no. But later on, she says this.

I followed a shattered pack with a leader who hadn’t any devotion to any of its members anyways.

And this.

I’d changed my name, too, thinking that walking into a Hunter hold with a wolf name maybe wasn’t the best idea.

So that makes it sound like she is. I know I'd probably know this if I'd read from the beginning, but I'm mostly just curious. If she is a werewolf, then that first line I mentioned is kind of confusing.

I really liked the characterization, particularly of Tasha. It's great that you gave her a specific skill in battle and a particular weapon she knows a lot about, rather than either being great at literally everything or else a total novice who is magically going to become the best. I also like that, at this point, she neither stands out as the amazing recruit they're all jealous of nor the bumbling recruit that makes them all wonder why she's there.

(I mean, it's fine if she's going to end up being the amazing recruit at some point, especially since there will be tension because she doesn't actually want to draw too much attention to herself because wolf-vs-hunters, but, you know. Usually the protagonist is the most amazing recruit right from the start, unless she's the bumbling failure instead.)

Also, usually I'm annoyed by dialects written phonetically in dialogue - it distracts me and can be hard to read. But I think you did it well. Maybe just because it's so lightly done, without a lot of alternative spellings.

The only other thing I'm a little curious about (which would *not* be answered by reading previous chapters) is Tasha's transition from the fight scene to standing in line on the Hunter base or whatever. You know, like did the Dragon and the Cougar tell Evelyn they had a new recruit they'd brought along, or did Tasha have to pretend like she came from the surrounding area and decided to sign up on her own like everyone else, or? Were there a lot of questions, or was it easy to show up and join the others?

You don't really have to dramatize this, but it's something to think about.

Featherstone says...

So she's not a werewolf, but she was raised by the werewolves/dire wolves/worgs, thus the more pack-type thinking and the wolf name. About the transition: I wasn't quite sure how to do it. Any ideas?\

Thanks for stopping by to review, and happy Easter!

BluesClues says...

OH okay. That makes a lot more sense to me now.

Hmmm...the thing is, your transition now does *work,* like technically it's fine, just some readers might curious about the things I asked about. But it is actually a decent transition, it wasn't clunky or anything, so I have to admit I don't actually have suggestions just now. I'll have to think on this.

Also, a belated happy Easter to you :)

Featherstone says...

On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus