z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A sunny/rainy day

by driveasyoulike


It was a sunny day. No one expected a storm, so I was the only one with an umbrella. I was walking down the street hoping for something.

I think it was rain.

I stopped abruptly, when it suddenly started, listening to the quiet whispering of the raindrops, their last will, as they were hitting the pavement.

People were running, trying not to get wet, while I simply stood there with umbrella in my hand.

Other view

A man was standing on the street. Raindrops were hitting him with desperation but it seemed like he did not care. I think that was why I decided to talk to him. It was the first time I have seen a person being so detached, so far away from reality. I noticed that he had a black umbrella in his hand, yet he did not open it… It seemed as if in his world it was always sunny.

Back

I was completely wet and felt my blood boiling with emotions. It felt so good -- my escape from reality, reality where rain didn’t bother me. People were staring at me, there was a woman on the opposite end of the street; she was completely wet and did not seem to care. Funny, it feelt as if I was looking into a mirror.

Other view

I slowly approached him. My breath was escaping in small clouds, eager to join the rain, wanting to be a part of it… I started to feel different: the raindrops seemed gentle now, like mother's hand and with each touch they were taking away my fears and worries. People around could not understand me, they were too busy running away from their own reflections, their own lives. Rain was revealing ones inside and he was the only one, who was not afraid.

Back

She was much closer now and I could see her expression. Drops were streaming down her cheeks, illuminating her eyes and chasing away the dark shadows from her face. I could see her very clearly, as if the air became transparent. I was surprised by the look of complete tranquility. She was becoming one with the rain. She was crushing against the road but next second was put together by a new wave of drops falling from the sky. It was natural to think that you could meet her only during heavy rain: she seemed too fragile for the penetrating rays of the merciless sun.

Other view

It felt as if he could not see me, maybe he was looking at someone else in his quiet world of illusions… We were completely alone; those minutes are rare, so we just looked at each other, understanding the significance of this liquid moment. He had the deepest grey eyes I have seen… It was ironic… If his world was always full of sunlight, mine was full of rain and yet, his eyes reminded you of autumn, of storms, of nostalgia… Mine were almost yellow. Now they probably looked like the lost sparks of sunlight, fighting for their lives in a prison of gray water…

This was it. We looked into each other’s eyes for a few motets, which felt like lives, and passed each other, not saying a word. We evaporated into our souls, confused and perplexed with the present, with our common and incomprehensible reality…


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:26 am
View Likes
felistia wrote a review...



Hi driveasyoulike, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful review day. :d

Story: The story on the whole is a simple one, but it was told really well so it actually became quite interesting to read. I like how you went back and forth between characters, though I think it would be better if you put this * or this ~ between swap overs. :D

Characters: There are two main characters and really the only ones. It was great to see what each one looked like through the other's eyes and to hear both of their thoughts towards one while not saying a word. It was an interesting way to present the characters and was what I enjoyed about this story the most. :D

Description: You really nailed the description in such a way that is was not over powering and so that is actually helped the story flow really well. You included a lot of senses for sound to touch. You also used a lot of colour so that I could see what the characters where seeing in perfect detail. Well done. :D

Small mistakes: (Funny, it feelt as if I was looking into a mirror.) I think you meant to say ( felt).

Overall it was a very entertaining story and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D



Random avatar


Thank you so much for your review! I'm really grateful for your comments!
P. S. Sorry for the typo...



User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 18486
Reviews: 522

Donate
Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:45 pm
View Likes
Lavvie wrote a review...



Hi there! First of all, I'd like to welcome you to YWS! I hope you enjoy it around here. Aside from posting your own work, you can also return the favour and review others' writing. It's also the method to earn points so you can post more of your work :)

I like the idea you have here. It's definitely interesting to have the point of view switching every few paragraphs and you've managed to definitely create unique voices for each character. Your prose flows relatively well and this was an easy read in the sense that everything was coherent and general well-written. Good job!

The issue that I see troubling this piece the most is that the plot is relatively unclear and the solution is terribly anticlimactic. Essentially, the reader is trying to figure out what is going on with your two characters, what are their motivations, what is the actual point of the rain and the man? Unfortunately, the solution you have selected to address the plot comes to a close with a very cloudy and strange end that is not at all clear. It is okay to leave an ending open-ended but in order to do so the original plot must be somewhat fleshier and somewhat solved. Here, it is not. Things are very unclear and because of that I am not entirely sure what the purpose or motives of your story and characters are. What exactly is transpiring? It is definitely interesting tread to address the more metaphysical in writing (and it is something that I appreciate), but then you also need to be able to form a solution that can be equally as abstract as its plot, but still understandable, exploratory, and, basically, a solution. Right now, things are a little up in the air and unclear. Right now, this sort of feels more like a fragment of thought or a small scene in a larger story than a stand-alone piece. Essentially, your ending is too small and disappointing considering the amount of build-up beforehand. It is not very deserving.

Another thing is that I found you often pointed out the obvious to the reader. Sometimes, this is okay, but in your case I think it would actually be much better if you left a bit of the thinking up to your audience. For example, you need not point out the irony of their eyes/current physical states because the reader will be able to deduce that from what you write. Sometimes, the directness of the prose was a little much. If you let the reader be a little more imaginative, your story might actually be a lot stronger philosophically.

In terms of form, I don't think you need to specify the different points of view. It is also a little weird to have the strikeouts - is there any particular motive behind this or was it just something different, as opposed to underlining, bolding, or italicizing? Either way, a mere asterisk or dash or some other symbol will suffice. After one or two paragraphs, the reader will be able to understand that at each symbol, there is a change in point of view. It will make things much smoother and more visually appealing.

Overall, I did enjoy this, even if I didn't feel the ending was as strong as it could have been. There is definitely the potential here to make this into a strong piece, so I would be interested to see if you take this further and do some revisions. Thanks for the interesting read!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about anything, please don't hesitate to drop me a line. :)

Best,
Lav



Random avatar


Thank you for your comment, it had been incredibly helpful! I am definitely planning on working on it and will take your comments into account.




You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh