Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Fanfiction

Beginning Regrets - The Creature Inside Chapter 4

by bigsisfarmer

After announcing that I was helping, the remainder of the team had some doubts about my loyalty. I guess I don’t really blame them, I mean a strange girl pops out of nowhere and claims she wants to help. I wouldn’t trust me either. After much convincing, everyone grudgingly allowed me to help. 

“Everyone let’s go, Yara, you take the lead.” Nightwing instructed. I had already given them my name while convincing people that I wasn’t going to murder them.

“Wait.” I pleaded, making the small squad stop in their tracks. I saw a slight wave of worry pass over Nightwing’s face, but he quickly hid it. “Do you have any water that I could have?”

I saw Nightwing relax slightly. His hand went to his utility belt, and he pulled out a small bottle. “It’s not much, but it will do.” He held out the bottle for me to take.

I walked forward, and grabbed it, chugging the water down in one sip. I thanked and continued walking forward, handing the bottle back. “The warehouse is this way.” I simply stated, not offering any more information.

Nightwing walked slightly behind me, while the Martin flew above us. I could feel both Ms. Martin’s and Nightwing’s minds interlink, and I knew that they were having a “private” conversation. I rolled my eyes, a habit that I would never break, and slowly, carefully, secretly, pushed my way into their conversation. They had no idea that I was there, I laughed to myself about the Green Blob’s carelessness.

“Nightwing, I’m not sure on this. She has no intention of harming us, but she was raised by them.” Ms Martin urged Nightwing. Being raised by villains was a fact that I wanted to hide, but couldn’t since she would have no idea how I had gotten out here, and therefore it would have been suspicious.

“M’gann. It will be fine. I’ve seen this girl around, and if she bares no ill will, then we can always utilize any help that we can get.” Nightwing reassured her. So that was her name. I stored that bit of information for later use.

“Fine, but if something goes wrong don’t blame me.”

Nightwing chuckled across the link. I retreated, not caring about the rest of the conversation. We had reached the warehouse anyway.

I peered through the foliage, checking the surroundings of the warehouse. To my dismay, I found that the once unguarded hole, was now swarming with guards. I turned back to the group. “You’ve just missed your opportunity.” I thought for a couple of seconds before continuing. “Well, there’s a hatch on top of the building if Ms. Martin can help us. She will need to go through the walls and disable the alarm. I can instruct her how to do so.” I awaited my answer to the suggestion I had thrown into the air.

Nightwing considered the possibility, then turned to Ms. Martin. I noticed that the two younger superheroes still appeared doubtful. “Ms.Martin, if we went a little bit back into the woods, do you think that you would be able to carry both Yara and I to the roof?”

Ms. Martin simply nodded. Without a word, except a huff of annoyance from Beast Boy, we swiftly entered back into the cover of trees. When we had gotten a good distance inside of the forest, the whole squad halted. We had all done this seamlessly, without saying a word, even in the mind link.

Although at first I tried to deny it, I found that I enjoyed the workings of a team like this. I loved the rush that came from silently trekking through the woods, and the completeness from instinctively knowing what your teammates were going to do. I observed the trust that each member had for each other, and felt an unfamiliar longing for that same connection. I had seen similar acts before, but this was different, it seemed more real. Maybe, just maybe, it was because this team was doing good instead of conforming to the selfish desires of their own hearts.

“Yara, Ms.Martin is going to take you up first.” Nightwing’s voice broke through the mind link startling me out of my thoughts. I was looking at the ground, and I looked up to the white eyes of his mask. I nodded, trying to keep my neutral expression.

Suddenly, my body felt weightless. Before I knew what was going on, I found myself being lifted into the air. I tottered slightly, eyes widening, before I understood the situation, and settled down. It felt strange to be suspended into the air, without anything below my feet keeping me stable.

I heard Beast Boy scoff, and I avoided eye contact, knowing I probably looked like a complete fool. Nightwing gave Beast Boy a warning look, but I could still see the slight amusement in the creases of his black mask. Ms. Martin appeared satisfied that her sudden levitation had caught me off guard, and Blue Beetle seemed slightly understanding, yet he was also trying to hold back a laugh.

Again without warning, I was lifted higher into the air. I flew beside Ms. Martin without any will of my own. She remained silent, which was to my satisfaction, and I made no indication to talk to her either. I already disliked her and wanted no more interaction than I was forced to have.

She set me down on top of the roof. It was a little more harsh than what I would like, but I paid no mind. I was already used to plenty of pain, and landing a little hard on a roof wasn’t going to faze me. Without another word, Ms. Martin left, leaving me completely alone on the roof of a top-secret base that specializes in pain.

Well thank you very much Ms. Asparagus.

A few seconds later, Blue Beetle made his way up to the roof, with Beast Boy, who was shapeshifted into a small bird, landing behind him. They also remained silent, most likely due to my previous hostility. Then, at last, NIghtwing came into to view, with Ms. Martin. I noticed that she set down Nightwing gently, causing me to roll my eyes.

I pointed to a hatch that was on the roof. It was well hidden, but if one were to look closely, then it became apparent. “There’s the hatch.” I lowered my finger and looked directly at Nightwing. “If we open it now, an alarm will sound off. Ms. Martin should phaze through the roof and turn it off.” I looked around at the doubtful faces that surrounded me, and directed my attention towards Ms. Martin. “I can instruct you how to disable it from here.” I looked at both Beast Boy and Blue Beetle. “Once we get through, we might encounter a few guards.” I glanced back at Nightwing, starting to feel slightly unsure, but I showed no signs of this, and kept my expression neutral. “We can open another door once we make it far enough in. Since the guards appear to be highly distracted, then they shouldn’t notice as long as it isn’t open for long” I silently awaited my answer.

I’m starting to regret this.

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables