EMTs - Everyday Miracle Technicians

by bard_of_life

I know a couple EMT's so i think I'll make this into an article header, and interview them. Please crit this!

The stench of burning flesh and rubber hangs in the air like a rotten veil, smothering any hope that’s left as you, an emergency medical technician lean over the accident victim. Even though you should just give up, you open up a portable defibrillator and place it on the cold chest of the man before you. “Clear!” The body jumps, but you don’t flinch.

You wait a moment, and then you press two fingers against his blood-soaked throat. You feel a weak but steady thumping under the already warming skin. “A pulse,” you scream hoarsely, “we’ve got a pulse over here!” As the man’s eyes flicker open, two other EMT’s join you. His eyes lock onto yours for a second, and you can see the thanks in them. He is loaded onto a stretcher and he groans, more from sadness then pain. His daughter was in the back seat, and he couldn’t save her.

You leave him with the other two, and look over the scene. Two cars melted into each other, the interiors still burning. The flashing ambulance lights cast an eerie glow over the scene, first painting the pale dead face blue, then red, then blue again. You look away, searching for anywhere else you can help. Because that’s what you do.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill