Uh Oh! It's 2 am!

by Avian

Uh oh! It’s 2 am!

It seems you can’t sleep,

let’s try again.

Oh, your mind is playing tricks?

Have you tried counting sheep?

Have you listened to the rain?

How about a nice glass of milk?

Try this, try that,

it’s all the same!

But you better sleep,

'cause no one wants to see you grumpy!

You’ve got things to get done,

Places to be,

and oh no,

it seems homework slipped your mind.

Worry not,

Dread will meet you soon!

he’ll knock on your skull,

and remind you of that one dreadful day in

middle school (the worst years of your life)

when you said something so utterly stupid

that you still think about it to this very day!

And do you remember that one time when…?

How about that other time?

And what are tangents and cosines?

Do you think birds are actually

secret spies working for the government?

Oh dear,

I think it’s time for you to cry.

And, oh no!

You’ve lost The Game!

Gosh darn, what a lousy game.

I don’t think you’ll ever win this one,

it’s such a shame.

Uh oh! It’s 3 am!

Sorry to say, but you’ve thought too much.

Would you like to try again?

angelinamar wrote a review...

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical when I first read the title of this topic. I mean, how can someone write a review on a situation like not being able to sleep at 2 am? But as I started reading, I found myself nodding along and relating to every single line.

The writing style is witty and humorous, and it perfectly captures the frustration and restlessness that comes with not being able to sleep. The use of rhetorical questions and repetition adds to the overall effect and makes the reader feel like they are in a conversation with the writer.

I particularly enjoyed the part about Dread knocking on your skull and reminding you of embarrassing moments from middle school. It's so relatable and it made me laugh out loud. And the mention of The Game was a nice touch, as it's something that many people have probably experienced at 3 am.

You also do a great job of incorporating different strategies for falling asleep, like counting sheep and listening to the rain. It shows that they have done their research and are genuinely trying to help the reader.

Overall, this piece is a fun and relatable read that perfectly captures the struggle of trying to fall asleep at 2 am. It's well-written and engaging, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has ever found themselves in this situation.

Thank you for this read. Hope to see more from you soon!:)

Avian says...

Thank you so much! :D

Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 pm
AJW says...

"Sorry to say, but you've thought too much."

THAT'S SO TRUE THOUGH. And then you fall asleep without realizing it.. AND THEN you are supposed to get up for classes and you instead keep sleeping...

GengarIsBestBoy says...

really nice poem :D I'm not here to leave a review but

And, oh no!

You’ve lost The Game!

Gosh darn, what a lousy game.

I don’t think you’ll ever win this one,

it’s such a shame.

MAN NOW I JUST LOST THE GAME

Avian says...

Haha I was waiting for someone to notice >:)

Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:33 pm
farq4d wrote a review...

hey there, i'm just here to leave a quick review. overall, i really enjoyed reading this poem. it's about what goes through someone's head as they're trying to fall asleep. it's like you know you need to fall asleep, but somehow thinking about that just makes it more difficult. you recount different things that people think about, the thoughts that only seem to surface when you're trying to fall asleep: things you have to do the following day, homework that's due, embarrassing memories, random stray thoughts, depressive episodes, etc. when i go to bed with my husband, he has a harder time falling asleep than i do. and every night, when we're trying to sleep, that's when he suddenly remembers all the things he wants to talk to me about. i just really loved reading this poem and found it super relatable.

Avian says...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review :D

Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:41 pm
Youbeaucupid says...

Me and my sister were up till three, not bc we wouldn't go to sleep but we couldn't- I'm so tired 😭😭

Avian says...

Haha, my sister and I used to stay up all the time, and my parents never got mad because we were having "sister bonding time."

Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:25 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello, my friend!

Awesome poem, it creates a very humorous take on such an annoying phenomenon. And I like to think a good laugh takes the sting out of anything. The main reason it's funny is that it's so freaking true, and you absolutely nailed the insomniac experience; how one minute, you're thinking about sleep, then suddenly you're revisiting your school years like you're traumatized by all the compiled cringe. Also, totally agree that middle school are the worst year. And then, the next hour, the cycle repeats. 3 am, 4 am, 5 am...Try again, try again, try again.

Then you finally get some sleep and start dreaming about something running around and talking psychobabble through the walls...Or is that just me? Lol.

Overall, you have a very nice and entertaining piece, so nicely done! :)

Avian says...

Thanks for the review! I%u2019m glad you liked the poem! And yeah, I always have the weirdest dreams, too XD

Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:58 pm
herbalhour says...

LITERALLY ME

Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:09 am
Spearmint says...

Me reading this at 1 am and feeling very called out >.>
Humorous poem! I liked it! :D

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith