LMS VI: Something About Monsters - The Backrooms 2/2

by WeepingWisteria

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

Trigger Warning: Explicit Depictions of Suicide

Ollie froze. Was that… their mom? It sounded just like her…

“I swear, your dad would get lost on a trip to the toilet. He must’ve gotten us here.”

Ollie shook their head. No. It couldn’t be real. But, the silhouette. None of the other voices had one.

“Ollie? Come on. We’re worried sick. Are you out there?”

They sighed. If that was their actual mom and they just left her here, they would never forgive themselves. But, if it wasn’t, they could face another dead end.

“Hey, Ma? Can you answer a question for me really quickly? Just one!”

Ollie’s mother hummed. “Sure. Go on ahead.”

“Thank you. Now when I was a kid. About five, what did I want to be when I grew up?”

Ollie’s mother laughed. “Oh, you were the cutest kid. You always said you were going to grow up to sell homemade chocolates. It was your dream.”

Ollie laughed too. It was. Ollie could remember putting chocolate bars in the microwave and adding food coloring and sprinkles. Their mom would eat whatever they made and pretend it was pure genius. They smiled. That was their real mom right there.

“Ma! It’s so good to see you! Are you hurt in any way?”

Ollie’s mother shook her head. “I’m completely fine. What about you? You doing alright?”

Ollie nodded. “Had what should have been a nasty fall. Didn’t get a scratch or scrape from it, though. All is well.”

Ollie’s mother nodded. “Oh, am I glad to hear it!”

“How did you get here, Ma? What happened?”

“I don’t really know. One minute I wasn’t here. The next I was.”

Ollie frowned. “Did you fall? Trip or anything?”

“Oh, I don’t remember. It’s been a long day.”

Ollie sighed. “I agree with you on that. Okay. Anything else you remember?”

“My head’s not feeling quite right. I’m not remembering much.”

Panic shot through Ollie’s veins. Was their mother affected by the mold? Was it making her sick? They took a deep breath. “Ma? I need you to answer a very important question. Have you touched the mold on the walls?”

“Oh dear heavens. That’s mold?”

Ollie could’ve screamed. What did she mean? How could she have possibly not noticed? She took a deep breath. “Yes, Ma! That’s mold!

“I need to go back to the eye doctor. Everything is so blurry.”

Blurry vision and potential memory loss? That sounded like a concussion more than mold poisoning. Ollie had fallen to get here. Maybe their mother had, too, and just ended up hurting herself when Ollie hadn’t. Ollie really had been lucky. “Is there any blood on your head, Ma?”

“What? No blood. Why do you ask?”

“I’m just worried is all.”

“Well, why don’t you head over here, and we’ll figure this out? Alright?”

Ollie sighed. “I’m looking forward to finding the exit.”

“And we’ll find it faster by having both of us search.”

Ollie nodded. “Here’s to hoping. I’m coming your way. Don’t move. These hallways can shift in an instant.”

“I’m staying still. Don’t worry about me.”

Ollie started to walk towards their mother, just thrilled to have an actual human in this place. One with real flesh that could respond to what they actually said instead of repeating a closed script. Their mother had yet to repeat a single line.

The lights turned off completely again, and Ollie held still, holding their breath. They didn’t like this. Their mother seemed to have the same idea, both of them staying completely silent.

Once the lights turned on again, their mother seemed to be a bit further than before.

Ollie shook their head. It had to be their imagination. The hallway was long and narrow. They were panicking from the lights turning off. That was all. Their mother wasn’t moving backward whenever the lights turned off. It was fine.

“Ma, you alright?”

“Startled, but fine. Don’t worry about the old woman. Figure out a way to get the old woman out of here. That would be the only way to help.”

“I’m trying, Ma. Just hold on.” They glanced up at the lights. Why were they on the fritz now of all times? They started walking again.

But in just a few steps, the lights shut off again. Ollie yelled in frustration. Oh, that was so annoying. It was like the building didn’t want them to get to their mother. It didn’t make any sense. They just stopped walking, just like last time, and waited for the lights to kick back on.

In a couple of minutes, they turned back on. Ollie sighed, rubbing their temples. “Alright, Ma-”

“Ollie? It’s so good to see you.”

Ollie blinked. “Ma? What do you mean?”

She laughed. “Oh, don’t sound so surprised. I haven’t seen my favorite child in so long.”

Ollie squinted at the distant silhouette of their mother. She seemed to be the same distance away as before, as if Ollie hadn’t walked at all. But she seemed different, somehow. Older. Like she had aged a good ten years since the lights turned off.

“Ma? Are you okay?”

“Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?”

Ollie looked around the room the two of them were currently in. If the mold suddenly gained sentience and started with speaking to Ollie, it still wouldn’t be much more foreboding than it already was. “Ma? Are you feeling okay?”

“Absolutely. Why wouldn’t I? Are you alright, Ollie? You sound worried.”

Ollie blinked. “Ma, take a look around. We’re being held captive in a maze of a building. How aren’t you worried?”

There was silence for a couple of beats before Ollie’s mother sighed softly. “That’s crazy talk, Ollie. You’re starting to worry me.”

“Worry you? After all of this?” Ollie shook their head. “Unbelievable. We’re literally trapped in this place, and all of a sudden, you’ve just seemed to forget.”

Ollie’s mother sighed. “Ollie? What-” Her voice suddenly changed, filling with fear and dread. “Where are we?”

Ollie froze. What was happening? None of this made sense. “Ma? We’ve been here for the past-”

“We need to go home! We need to go home right now, Ollie!”

Ollie flinched. “I know. We’re trying, remember? We were figuring that out. We are going to figure it out. Alright?”

Their mother just seemed to panic. “I want to go home! Take me home! Right now!”

Ollie stepped forward. “I’m going to approach you. Just so I can help. Okay? Do you trust me?”

“I trust my child. I trust my child.”

“And I am your child. And I’m approaching.” They took a step forward. “And we’re going to be okay. Still approaching. It’s still just me.” They kept moving forward, watching the lights carefully.

The lights turned off again. “No! Ma! It’s okay! Hang in there. They’ll come back on. Just stay calm. Please. It’s going to be okay. I promise.”

They got no response. Once the lights turned off, the hallways were pretty much silent. The fluorescent buzzing had been the dominant noise for so long, and now, all Ollie could hear was their panicked breathing and rapid heartbeat. If they were calmer, they would probably be able to hear their digestive tract. They breathed a little more forcefully. They really didn’t want to find out.

This bout of darkness seemed to last longer than the rest until the lights finally came back on. Their mother seemed further away again, slumped over in a chair. A chair that definitely wasn’t there before.

“Ma? Are you alright?”

Their mother wheezed in response. Ollie’s heart pounded in their throat, pulsated in their temples. What happened? The lights had only turned off for one minute, twelve seconds, and four milliseconds. Okay, perhaps the exact numbers were from me, but even Ollie’s mortal understanding of time allowed them to know it wasn’t that long. How did their mother get injured?

“Ma? Can you talk?”

There was no response, just that same wheezing breath. They teared up, walking in a small circle. “Ma! You can’t… you can’t be hurt!”

They went to walk forward before stepping back. “Ma, please. If I walk forward, the lights will turn off again.”

The fluorescents seemed to buzz a bit louder at that, drowning out Ollie’s heart.

“But I can’t leave you here. I’m sorry.”

As soon as they stepped forward, the lights turned off. But they didn’t care. They kept walking through the pitch black. The hallways shifted and contracted around them. Nausea surged in their stomach, pulsating along with the deafening silence.

The lights turned back on. Ollie’s mother was right in front of them, so close they could touch her.

But she was dead.

She was laying on the floor, her skin taking on a grey tint, her eyes empty. Ollie froze, staring down at the corpse with mounting horror.

“Ma?” They knelt down beside her, eyes wide. “Ma.” Their voice cracked, a tear streaking down their face. They gently reached out to check her pulse.

And she evaporated.

Ollie screamed, launching backward. There was nothing left of their mother.

Ollie clenched their fists, trembling. “This isn’t real! It was a trick!” They didn’t know who they were accusing, but they knew it was someone’s fault. “I’m done falling for your tricks! I just want to go home. I didn’t ask to be here.”

The ground of the building started to shake. Was that it? Did it hear them? Were they finally going home?

A wall rose from the ground, crashing into the ceiling. Ollie fell back with a yelp. That wasn’t fair. That wasn’t fair! What did they keep doing wrong? Why did the building keep blocking them off from passageway after passageway?

They stood up, thoroughly soaked from whatevr was soaked into the carpet. They smelt of mold and rotten mothballs now. They felt disgustinging. Not to mention, their skin itched terribly. Was the liquid irritating? Could it cause rashes? Or illness? Or death?

Ollie tried not to think about that. They were getting out of here, not dying. If they thought they were going to die here, then they would. It was as simple as that. The mind creates reality based on expectations.

Except when it came to working in an office. Ollie really hadn’t been expecting that one, but it still blindsided them. But now wasn’t exactly the time to think about that. Not with so much at stake.

They stumbled forward into the same four way crossroads again. They didn’t know how they knew it was the same one at this point, but they just did. They knew.

They walked to the center and spun in a small circle. “Wait. No. Wait!”

If this was the same four way crossroad, then that meant all of the other ways were blocked off.

Which meant there was only one way to go.

Which meant there was only one way out.

Which meant there was no room for mistakes.

They shook their head. “No! You’re telling me every other hallway changes, but this one doesn’t? No. I refuse to believe that.”

She sprinted down the hallway she had heard Betsy’s voice in. It was going to be entirely different. There wasn’t going to be anything there. It was going to be-

They ran straight into a dead end. There it was. The same dead end that had screamed at them before. They shook their head. “No. No!”

They turned around and sprinted right back to the beginning. Without a second thought, they ducked into the hallway that forced them face Mr. Coleman and his impossible hill. It would be never ending hallways. It had to be. This place hated limits. Why would it suddenly abuse them? It didn’t make sense.

But there, again, that same dead end. Ollie cried out. “Stop it! Stop doing that!”

They turned around, the adrenaline making them not even care if they were out of breath. They headed right back for the hallway they had just come from. Where this building had pretended to kill their mother. Please. This had to be open hallway. This couldn’t be it.

But it was. Because they just ran into the same dead end. Ollie stopped and stared at it. This was nothing short of cruel now. How could the building treat them like this? Drag them through mold and heartache like this?

“I don’t deserve this!” They kicked the wall as hard as they could. It didn’t hurt, and the wall didn’t budge.

But the building screamed, just like before. But, Ollie didn’t care anymore. They just screamed right back, the high-pitched, whistling screech of the building mixing with the deep, almost guttural yell from Ollie.

The building went silent first. The building might not need to breathe, but it didn’t have human tenacity. And Ollie was full of that at that moment. They heaved for breath, regretting the way their throat burned. There was no water here. They might have just kissed their voice goodbye with that stunt. They made their way back to the center of four way crossroads. Well, there was only one way forward.

Ollie stood in front of the open archway, staring into the never ending maze. If they messed up in there, they’d get trapped in the same loop forever. They’d go insane. They’d die of dehydration.

What would the building make them face there? Their father? An old college professor? What could possibly be worse than their mother dying? They sighed. It was time to find out.

They walked into the maze, immediately feeling the atmosphere shift. This was endless terrain. This is what they were used to.

“I hope you’re ready for me. I’m not listening to you anymore.”

The building felt ready. Maybe it was in the way the fluorescents kept humming, or the way the scent of mold seemed to get stronger. The assault that Ollie was getting used to felt more like a battlecry now.

They didn’t bother to keep track of the twists and turns they followed. It was meaningless, in the grand scheme of things. The building had a destination in mind, and Ollie would make it there whether they tried to or not. There was no point fretting about it.

After about fifteen minutes of walking, Ollie was faced with another narrow, one-way hallway. No twists. No turns. Just one way forward. They stopped.

There was a person in the middle of the hallway.

Ollie shook their head. No. There wasn’t a person. It was just the building lying again. Lying because it enjoyed watching them panic. They didn’t even say anything to this person, just squared their shoulders and kept walking.

The person didn’t move. The lights didn’t flicker. Ollie was approaching them. And quickly.

Ollie sped up. That person wasn’t real. They weren’t real. They weren’t—

Ollie crashed right into them, falling to the floor. The other person fell too with an “oomph”, dislodging some of the mold.

Ollie blinked. “Oh, I’m so-“ They froze.

The person was them. An exact replica. They had Ollie’s black shoulder-length Afro with one shaved side. Their dark skin. Their brown eyes. It was Ollie. But it wasn’t. Because Ollie was on the floor, staring at this mimic in horror.

The faux-Ollie stood up slowly. They looked defeated, their posture drooping and their eyes downcast. Their gray pantsuit was covered in thick black patches of mold. Their Afros was dripping with what smelled like the same fluid that was soaking the carpet.

Ollie swallowed. No. That couldn’t be real. Real funny, building, but they weren’t believing in it for a second. They turned away from the mimic and continued down the hallway, head down.

To their horror, the faux-Ollie follow, keeping in perfect stride and walking side-by-side. It sighed.

“I’m tired of this place.” It looked to Ollie like it was expecting solace. “I want to leave.”

Ollie didn’t say anything. They walked faster. It sped with them, its face not betraying if it noticed this change. “I’m leaving today. You can join me. You can leave.”

Ollie still didn’t say anything. They weren’t going to give this creature the satisfaction.

“Will you leave with me? Find peace? Escape this nightmare? I don’t want to leave alone.”

Ollie clenched their fists. They thought of Betsy, of the date where they would finally get on one knee and pop the question. Of Mr. Coleman’s face turning red as Ollie finally quit. Of their alive and well mom getting to try some actual homemade chocolates. It would be beautiful.

“You’re too scared to leave, huh? You’re terrified. But it’s okay. Leaving isn’t scary.”

Ollie growled. “Stop talking! I don’t want to hear it. Not another word.”

The faux-Ollie seemed unphased. They never looked up from the ground. “I’m going to leave. You can come with me. Or not.”

Ollie shook their head and kept walking. They didn’t have to listen to that. They could just keep on walking until this faux-Ollie ran out of steam and vanished. When would that be? Ollie wasn’t sure, but they didn’t care. It didn’t matter.

They made it to the end of the hallway. They weren’t even going to blink. They had been through so many hallways that the end of one meant nothing.

Until they stepped into a room.

It was shaped like a perfect circle, with no doorways to any other hallways. In the center of the room were the first pieces of furniture Ollie had seen this entire time: two wooden stools. Above them, was a rather large ceiling fan without light bulbs attached, hanging dormant.

Faux-Ollie seemed to finally lift its head, looking at the stools straight-on. “I’m leaving. You can either join me or stay behind and mold with everything else.”

It marched towards the stool on the left with this sudden sense of determination. Ollie couldn’t help but watch. Where was this going? Why did the building design a room now of all times?

Faux-Ollie undid the tie around their neck and completely unknotted it, leaving it with a length of fabric. Ollie frowned. They didn’t like that. Something about that seemed… dangerous.

Faux-Ollie started tying its tie again. “You have your tie. Just copy me.”

Ollie took a step back. No. They weren’t doing anything this thing said. Faux-Ollie didn’t seem to care much, just kept messing with their tie. Soon, Ollie could see what it was they were working so hard to make.

Faux-Ollie was tying a noose. Ollie took a step back. The two stools. The ceiling fan. The building wanted them to hang themselves. Why? What benefit did the building get? Was it a living organism that actually got sustenance from corpses? Was Ollie not the first to find themselves down here? They watched Faux-Ollie, a little wide-eyed with terror.

Faux-Ollie stepped onto the stool and started tying one end of the tie to the ceiling fan. Ollie couldn’t tear their eyes away. Was this really what the building expected them to do? Blindly follow a shadow version of themselves to their own demise? Well, it wasn’t going to happen.

Faux-Ollie put the noose around their neck. “I’m going to leave. Because death’s the only way out. And I’m tired of waiting for old age to do it for me.”

Ollie shook their head. “No.”

“And you can leave with me. You can hang right next to me.”

Ollie covered their ears. “No.”

“We’ll both be free. We’ll both be free!”

Ollie squeezed their eyes shut. “No! I said no! You can’t make me! I don’t believe you. You’re not real!”

Faux-Ollie flinched slightly, eyes widening slightly.

“You won’t make me kill myself. You don’t have that power.”

Faux-Ollie shook its head. “I’m… I’m leaving.”

“You’re dying. You’re not just leaving, you’re giving up.” Ollie sighed. “I’m leaving. I’m finding a way out. I’m going to escape with my life and see my girlfriend again.”

Faux-Ollie held on to the noose. “Wait-“

“I am not going to sit here and die. You can. Go ahead. You’re not real anyways. I’m going to turn around and find a real way. Goodbye.”

Ollie turned around. They didn’t flinch when they heard Faux-Ollie’s clatter to the floor. They didn’t turn around as they heard the snap of a broken neck. Ollie straightened their suit jacket and walked down the hallway.

They didn’t care when they were faced with a single sharp left-hand turn. They just took it.

And stopped dead in their tracks.

It was a very short hallway this time. No rooms. No winding passageways.

Just a single staircase leading up and away.

Ollie approached the staircase, slightly transfixed. They laughed, running their hands on the wood. It was real wood. Real to the touch. It didn’t waver or disappear or smell like mold and mothballs. Ollie tapped the bottom step with their foot and it held.

“Is… is this it? I’m done? You’re letting me go?”

The buzz of the fluorescents softened. The staircase wasn’t lit by fluorescents. Its lights were silent, softer. Ollie hesitated. This… this felt too easy. Yell at one projection and suddenly the exit just appeared? They didn’t trust it.

“I need some sign that this is real. I can’t just blindly walk up these stairs. You can’t expect that of me.”

The building didn’t respond. Nothing changed. Ollie sighed. “I guess that’s my sign. You don’t want to convince me. If this was a trap, you’d have Betsy’s voice calling for me. Or Ma at the top of the stairs. But this is just here. Like you want me to doubt it.”

Ollie shook their head and took a careful step onto the staircase. Nothing happened. Nothing went awry or broke. Ollie took another step. Then another. And another.

It was halfway up the staircase that they saw the light above. Pure, natural sunlight. No light bulbs included. They ran up the last bit of the staircase, laughing madly.

“Betsy! I’m coming home!”

xxxxx

A woman by the name of Elizabeth Marshall marched into the Pinevale Community Hospital, stress furrowing her brow. She made a beeline straight to the front desk, dodging people like she was specifically designed to do so. As soon as a receptionist was free, she dipped over, trying to smile as politely as possible.

“Excuse me? Excuse me?”

The receptionist looked up. “Yes, ma’am?”

“I was told this was where my partner was taken. A person by the name of Ollie Ketcher? K-E-T-C-H-E-R.”

The receptionist nodded dully, tapping away at his computer. “That’s the potential Ikidnapping victim, right?”

“They’re my partner and I’d like to see them. Now.”

The receptionist nodded. “Right. Of course. They’re in Bay Thirteen. Stable and conscious.”

Elizabeth clutched her heart. “Oh thank the heavens. Can I see them?”

“You can. Go ahead.”

Elizabeth nodded. “Thank you.” She practically sprinted further into the hospital, stopping to take a photo of the map so she didn’t miss them.

As soon as she saw a door with the number thirteen on it, she knocked, opening it. It had to be them, right?

And it was. It was Ollie, arm stretched out and connected to an IV. Their head lulled slightly as Elizabeth walked in. “Betsy?” They sounded exhausted.

Elizabeth smiled. “I’m here, darling. You know I’m always here for you.” She sat on the bed, gripping Ollie’s hand. “How… what…?”

Ollie shook their head. “I don’t know. I don’t know. None of it… makes sense.”

Elizabeth brought up Ollie’s hand and gently kissed it. “We’ll talk later, then. When you’re feeling better.”

Ollie nodded. “Good idea. I want to sleep… for like three thousand years.”

Elizabeth laughed. “As long as you do it in increments and I can still talk to you.”

Ollie smiled, not staying anything for a long minute before they finally spoke up again. “I’m quitting.”

“Your job?”

They nodded.

Elizabeth smiled. “Good. You’ve been miserable ever since you started working there. I hate seeing you like that. We’ll figure something else out.”

Ollie hummed. “As long as you’re with me, we’ll figure it out. Together.”

“Together.” 

Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:26 am
Spearmint wrote a review...

Wistttt hi again c: I'm only two reviews behind now, ehe. Anyways, let's get right back into it! :]

This is too funny. xD (But also very relatable, lol.)

Ollie could remember putting chocolate bars in the microwave and adding food coloring and sprinkles. Their mom would eat whatever they made and pretend it was pure genius.

Aww, this is cute. :') But if this building can shift walls and create realistic illusions, I wouldn't put mind-reading past it...

Once the lights turned off, the hallways were pretty much silent. The fluorescent buzzing had been the dominant noise for so long, and now, all Ollie could hear was their panicked breathing and rapid heartbeat.

Ooh, I love how you changed the environment like this. c:

But she was dead.

Eep. ;-; Well, that definitely makes things creepier.

Okay, I read that part so fast. The illusions are getting better! And the story is getting towards a climax!

They had Ollie’s black shoulder-length Afro with one shaved side. Their dark skin. Their brown eyes.

Nice way to slip in some character description. ;)

In the center of the room were the first pieces of furniture Ollie had seen this entire time: two wooden stools.

Minor inconsistency here. There's a chair earlier in the story: "Their mother seemed further away again, slumped over in a chair. A chair that definitely wasn’t there before."

They didn’t like that. Something about that seemed… dangerous.

That's cuz it's gonna be a noose. T-T

Ollie hesitated. This… this felt too easy. Yell at one projection and suddenly the exit just appeared? They didn’t trust it.

Hmm... I'd actually like to see the building giving more of a sigh or something before this, so it seems more realistic that Ollie's able to escape. Like, some more visible evidence of the building releasing its grip on them?

“Together.”

Awwww. :))

That was a very wholesome ending. Thank you for the wonderful story! ^-^
Now, I did say I'd leave some more thoughts on Ollie in this review. I could get a sense that they're a determined person, and it was neat that they managed to not get discouraged by all the building's tricks. I also liked how you explored their backstory through the apparitions of their boss and mother.
...I've been sitting here for like ten minutes, trying to find something to critique. Um. I think maybe just clarifying Ollie's outfit and looking out for some minor things? But that can be solved with a quick read-through. So yeah, great job!
Keep an eye out for my ranting and cursing of Life next review! =PP Have a wonderful day/night. <3

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:36 pm

First Impression: Well this went in a direction I did not expect although I absolutely love the direction that it did end up going in. I adore that we're going to end up seeing things go towards something good after all once the building was done and seemingly failed there.

Well gotta love that the building is using a figure Ollie definitely wouldn't be able to really justify leaving behind. Its the perfect emotional manipulation to jump to right after its become clear in two separate instances now that the voices really aren't actually there.

Well either this building can read minds or there's an entirely different level of magic going on here because I can't imagine the mother is genuinely down there. The building being ready through some sort of means to deal with Ollie trying a test like this seems a far more likely possibility.

Hmm well given that there's no chance this ends happily I almost wonder for just a moment if that really is the mother, brought there for a moment just to fully destroy Ollie mentally but then that still seems too much of a stretch. The building trying to do that whole give Ollie a bit of hope only to crush is strategy seems a bit more likely here.

Well this is definitely asking some interesting questions here. So much evidence being thrown at us to suggest the plausibility of the mother actually being there and its no wonder that Ollie is already so invested and throwing aside all distrust. I'm going to continue to believe this is a construct of the building, but wow this is playing with those emotions expertly.

“Oh dear heavens. That’s mold?”

Oh this is definitely going for the heart there. The emotions of how much Ollie is immediately worried for their mother and trying to care for her is such a beautiful little moment to see. They clearly seem to share a good relationship but the distinct knowledge that this can't be real is just pain.

“What? No blood. Why do you ask?”

“I’m just worried is all.”

Well this isn't going to end terribly well. It seems we're finally seeing those first tiny signs that something is just a little bit off and this isn't really the actual mother there. I do hope these lights remain off for the moment because I don't think Ollie could survive whatever this thing might actually be because for a change there is some sort of physical form.

“Ma, you alright?”

Well here we go. The signs are setting in although hmm those lights turning back on turned out to be less scary than I was expecting it to be. I suppose this is a much more painful way to do it, a vague outline a bit further away that Ollie likely is never going to be able to reach no matter how much they walk.

Well that little slip into third person on the mother's part is confirmation if nothing else is. This thing is definitely some sort of construct of the building and now that its worn Ollie's defenses down again, I have a feeling its about to really go ahead and go for the complete shattering of Ollie's mind very soon.

“Ollie? It’s so good to see you.”

Ollie blinked. “Ma? What do you mean?”

“Ma? Are you okay?”

“Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?”

Well things are certainly slowly but surely getting stranger and stranger there. The building is either slipping up ever so often or there's yet again a bit of calculated effect in how this little reveal is happening there.

Well at this point the mother actually being there might just be slightly more terrifying with just how much of a horrible effect this seems to have but there still doesn't seem to be enough evidence to suggest that's what's happened here.

Ohh well this is terrifying here for an entirely different reason there. Even if somehow the building doesn't end up exploiting this in any other way, this very real sounding panic here is really kicking into high gear there.

“I trust my child. I trust my child.”

Oh this is almost sounding like somehow the mother is going through what Ollie went through at the very start. This building absolutely knows how to play with emotions in just the most terrifying way possible and its getting better and better at making things sounds more and more real.

[wuoyr]The lights turned off again. “No! Ma! It’s okay! Hang in there. They’ll come back on. Just stay calm. Please. It’s going to be okay. I promise.”

This bout of darkness seemed to last longer than the rest until the lights finally came back on. Their mother seemed further away again, slumped over in a chair. A chair that definitely wasn’t there before.[/quote]

OOooh I love how it almost seems like the building is putting on some sort of play there with how the lights go off to get a scene to be rearranged into its next more terrifying form. I wonder if that's purely for the shock value that Ollie experiences or if there's actually something the building wants to hide.

“Ma? Are you alright?”

“Ma? Can you talk?”

Well after tugging at the heartstrings with that moment of panic we're definitely going all the way out in the horror with that particular move. I love how little is actually shown to Ollie but how much of a conclusion Ollie manages to draw all the same just from everything else going on around them.

Oh here we go. Here we go. Ollie finally snaps and I think the building has played that scene to perfection. Introducing a final bit of comfort, lowering all of Ollie's remaining guard and getting them out of the numb state only to gradually make things horrifying and have Ollie just snap again.

But she was dead.

And she evaporated.

Well that confirms it was in fact not real but wow the building hit that very last note to perfection, showcasing the dead body in the end to really shatter Ollie there. It does look like the building is coming very close to achieving that goal and given we're now actually getting closer to the end of this story this might be the final straw.

Oh the building is getting a lot more active all of a sudden now and Ollie seems to be just going for an active attack almost from all of this. You can definitely see that breakdown nearing its completion at this point.

Well Ollie's mind is definitely forming a little bit of a last stand there from the looks of things. Let's see what Ollie actually manages to do here. Escaping really doesn't seem likely in the slightest so its a question of how horrifying this final breakdown will be.

Which meant there was only one way out.

Ooooh interesting, interesting. Its actually hard to tell if we're seeing Ollie come up with a reasonable solution or if they're just stuck trying to make sense of something in this mess of hallways. The crossroads being somewhat consistent does seem to make sense but there's still no telling.

Oooh it seems the building is onto Ollie and their attempts to try and find some sort of solution and instead of just making it hard, it seems the building is just going right towards doing its best to toy with Ollie here.

Oh well Ollie is definitely starting to lose it now. We're seeing them slowly abandoning the idea of maybe finding a way out and just fighting the building that is definitely just toying with Ollie at this point.

Well that's a remarkably clear plan there by Ollie in this scenario. As broken down and clearly desperate as Ollie appears to be, they seem to have a pretty surprising amount of resilience there to continue to think relatively clearly about what might need to be done here.

Oh well this is quickly devolving into Ollie just being fully aware now of exactly what the building is trying to do and just head on fighting it. I have a feeling things are going to quickly become less manipulative and much more malicious as this goes on now that Ollie probably won't get tricked again.

Well Ollie definitely seems to have become much more skeptical now and completely numb to all of the more subtle things that the building was doing so far. We'll see if this new figure is going to be more hostile now.

Ooooh well this is not something I saw coming. Its not a trick or something terrifying, instead we've got something that can only be considered neutral for the moment with an exact replica of Ollie being thrown into the mix.

Oh dear...well this is quite the toying that the building is doing in this moment, tapping into Ollie's fears and almost trying to personify it while also at the same time trying to offer some sort of salvation. I almost wonder if maybe the building's expert playing of Ollie's emotions has encountered just a tiny bit of a fault here or if this is a build up to something more.

Ohhh this is an interesting one. Now it looks like this fake Ollie is trying to actively offer some sort of way out to Ollie and somehow Ollie has managed to get into a state where not believing in the illusions the building has to offer is leading them to just actively deny any chance of leaving and I have a feeling its going to end up mattering more than what it appears as at the moment.

Until they stepped into a room.

Well it seems Ollie trying to deny all of that has somehow ultimately led them into a new area here. Either that or this is the building reacting to Ollie's current state and leading them into perhaps some sort of final area here where Ollie's fate will be sealed.

Oh this room definitely feels way too final right here, and the way that the fake Ollie is messing about with that tie is absolutely not a good sign, especially given that warning that was there at the start. Oh dear.

Oh dear, well it looks like this is the way that fake Ollie was suggesting they make their way out in the first place. This is absolutely going to be something that wrecks Ollie's mind again I'm sure. This room will quite obviously not have an exit in this moment.

Ollie shook their head. “No.”

Oh here we go. Its mermaids all over again, only this time its not subtle and we're just having the building actively telling Ollie to do the deed there so it can have whatever it seems to want now that it seems to have finished playing with Ollie.

Ollie covered their ears. “No.”

Well Ollie for their part seems to be doing a great job so far of resisting what Ollie is offering here although given how close we are to the ending of this its really hard to judge what'll happen here.

Oh my. Well that was a power move there by Ollie. Now I have to think the building failed here. That has to be the final straw where it hopes that the victim is in a bad enough headspace that the victim copies their well copy and proceeds to die to be claimed by the building forever. I can't wait to see how the building reacts now. Is this building going to actually admit defeat because monsters of this nature have an odd habit of doing that if their traps or defeated or is this building more the type to end Ollie's life swiftly and maliciously.

And stopped dead in their tracks.

Ahhhh the ambiguity here is so powerful because of course it looks like suddenly my idea that the building is letting Ollie go looks incredibly likely, except of course it would look this way if the building wanted to maliciously end Ollie's life too and just AHHH.

Hmm well Ollie seems to be taking their time at least in this moment. I love how even know the idea of the building being respectful and not playing traps and sticking to its rules is just as viable as the building malicious appearing completely harmless to lead Ollie to their demise.

“Betsy! I’m coming home!”

*gasp* Wist...did you just. Is this. Who are you and what have you done with my friend? Why does this look suspiciously like a happy ending? Granted the first story was sort of a happy ending but it had its strings attached. This one though. *narrows eyes suspiciously*

“Excuse me? Excuse me?”

Well that looks like a Betsy and an Ollie there. Oh dear. It looks like Ollie did somehow survive after all. The urgency of this moment seems to suggest this can't just be Ollie the person having a mental issue of some sort. Unless there's going to be a sequel to this story somehow or a sinister little detail to come.

“You can. Go ahead.”

Well you can certainly see Betsy there is clearly quite worried. They do seem to have a really strong relationship after all. Now the question is where exactly will we be going from this particular moment and will there be a catch.

Well this is sweet. They are actually reunited and even though its pretty clear Ollie is in quite rough shape after all of this, Ollie is alive...for the moment...and Elizabeth is clearly real given we're in her POV.

“Your job?”

They nodded.

“Together.”

I don't whether to scream with joy because I am absolutely sucker for happy endings or happy adjacent ones or check under my bed for some reason because this feels like it can't possible be real.

Overall: Overall, a lovely addition to this. A very different vibe, not just the obvious difference of the ending but also in the way Ollie seemed much more in control and much more of a survivor than some of the other protagonists that ended up unable to make their way out. Perhaps Ollie having something strong to fight for as that last scene establishes plays a role in that one. Either way it was quite the read. I can't wait to see what the next story will be like.

Kate

dragonight9 wrote a review...

Hi again, I just couldn't wait to see what happened next.

"No. It couldn’t be real. But, the silhouette. None of the other voices had one"

I knew the building would do that. Another increment. Another layer of believability.

"Ollie laughed too. It was. Ollie could remember putting chocolate bars in the microwave and adding food coloring and sprinkles. Their mom would eat whatever they made and pretend it was pure genius. They smiled. That was their real mom right there."

I like how Ollie was mistrusting even after she recognised the extra layer of believability. The fact that her mother never repeated any lines stood out as well, though to me, the fact that you drew attention to it only confirmed my suspicions that this was another one of the building's tricks (tests maybe?).

"I trust my child. I trust my child."

This seemed like a mechanical response to me though I'm not sure if that was the intention. The theme of trust is also very good for this situation as Ollie can't trust anything.
I won't quote the next section but you can really tell they are starting to panic as their mother gets pulled away and injured.

"Ollie clenched their fists, trembling. “This isn’t real! It was a trick!” They didn’t know who they were accusing, but they knew it was someone’s fault. “I’m done falling for your tricks! I just want to go home. I didn’t ask to be here.”

Then comes the last straw, the turning point where they decide to trust nothing anymore as they rage at the building.
I like how they take their frustration out in the next section as well. They despise the building for playing with their heart/trust and don't even care about the consequences of attacking it. Though it was interesting that she was able to outlast something without lungs. I suppose whatever the building is it wasn't interested in a competition.

Or not!

"The building felt ready. Maybe it was in the way the fluorescents kept humming, or the way the scent of mold seemed to get stronger. The assault that Ollie was getting used to felt more like a battlecry now."

I love this interpretation. As you mention later about our minds creating our reality, to them the building seems like it's about to fight her. And maybe it is.

"Ollie blinked. “Oh, I’m so-“ They froze."

I like how they ignored the person up to this point but after making contact with them (another layer of believability) their first instinct is to think this is an actual person and apologise.

The next part where Faux-Ollie hangs themselves made me wonder if this was really just the building encouraging her to die or if this was an illusion of her possible future/an actual future version of her.
Then of course we later find that it was an illusion (or test).

I love this line more than you might think. After all the deception she's been through being offered such an easy way out is difficult to accept. Makes me wonder how she would have reacted if it appeared any earlier. But here her reaction makes sense. As the reader we have been on this journey with her and feel the same way.
As a Christian I compare this to Christ's offer of salvation. It is so simple and easy yet this world has taught us that nothing so precious as the forgiveness of all our sins can come so easily. So people mistrust and stay in the dark endless maze instead of stepping into the light.

"It was halfway up the staircase that they saw the light above. Pure, natural sunlight. No light bulbs included. They ran up the last bit of the staircase, laughing madly.

“Betsy! I’m coming home!” "

I really enjoyed this journey with Ollie and the epilogue with Elizabeth was a great conclusion.

The one thing I do want to mention was that their last lines of figuring out the next steps "Together" really seemed to enforce a different message than what the story was portraying.

I thought the message was about trust and this doesn't seem to be that. I suppose it could also be about loneliness which makes more sense, and trusting someone is very related to working together but it still felt a little off.

Other than that I couldn't really find any mistakes to make note of. I was curious whether Ollie was non-binary (or something similar) or if they were just kept ambiguous for the sake of relatability in the story.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien