Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Dramatic

Dead or Alive - Part Six

by Vil

Moore straightened his back as he slowly swayed side to side, letting the music overwhelm his emotions. “Ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough, ain’t no river wide enough to keep me from getting to you babe!” he sang softly as he shuffled around. He was quite sure what he was celebrating, but he felt like he should.

"Edgar? Are you quite alright?" The music stopped suddenly as his wife, Pamela, tapped the screen of his phone on the nearby counter. He stopped dancing and looked at the dark-skinned woman, his face turning red as he tried to come up with an explanation.

"I-- er-- uh-- was exercising!" he said.

"Exercising... right..." Pamela touched a hand to her lips and smiled. "You're a crazy person."

"You knew that when I proposed."

"So I did," she agreed. "But I wasn't expecting you to party all by your lonesome for apparently no reason."

Moore nodded and then shrugged. "To be honest, I'm not rightly sure what it is that I was celebrating…”

Pamela nodded and moved to her husband’s side, pecking his cheek. “Spontaneity is a good trait in you, Edgar, and I don’t want you to lose it. It’s one of the reasons I love you.”

“And your willingness to love me despite being insane is more than enough reason for me to love you,” he replied dotingly. “In fact--” His phone started ringing and he sighed. He pulled away from Pamela, and the name of one Roy Davis flashed n his screen. Reluctantly, he answered. “Yes, Mr. Governor?”

“What is it with people calling me mister? Call me Roy, Ed!”

“We can’t, Mr. Governor,” Moore replied, smirking. “You’ve been Mr. Governor since before you became the governor. It’s your nickname, your calling card! But you haven’t called me to discuss why I don’t call you Roy.”

The Texan sighed and raspily said, “I know you brought Ohio into Winthrop’s group, but I want you to come work for me in Texas.”

“In Tex-- what’re you talking about? Texas hasn’t seceded yet.”

“That’s just it,” the governor replied, “yet. But it will. And we’ll be independent. I know it in my heart, Ed, that Texas wants things to change around here, and we can’t do anything either cause the Republicans won’t compromise or the Democrats won’t stop pressing certain issues. Texas will secede. But I want you there when we do, Ed. I need you in my administration for as long as it lasts. You can’t be my second, but you can be my right-hand man.”

“I-- good God, Governor!” Moore laughed sarcastically. “That’s treason.”

“It’s only treason if you don’t think it’s right,” Davis replied firmly. “And I think it’s the right thing to do. I couldn’t have won Ohio if I tried, but I can make the north and the south more open to reunion if Texas is at the heart of it all.”

Pamela tapped her husband’s shoulder. She had heard all that the governor had said, too, because worry and surprise were etched upon her face. Shaking her head, she mouthed the word, No.

Moore sighed. “I can’t do it, Mr. Governor. I won’t. Uh-- please be reluctant to contact me about this again cause I’m not doing it.” The Ohioan ended the call and dropped his phone on the counter. “What the heck is wrong with him?”

Pamela shrugged. “I don’t know… He’s right about being independent, though Texas won’t join anyone willingly…”

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence