Finding Air

by Treaver

“The Earth has been here for a billion years. We all know that what is created can be destroyed and that's what's starting to happen. Scientist believe that the Universe was created with a massive explosion of a star. This they refer to as the Big Bang Theory. Over the past 50+ years scientist have recorded the temperatures of the earth. Their research has found that the world is getting hotter and they guessed it was caused by the people and they called this “Global Warming”. That is not the case, we have evidence that proves this.”

“The world has been heating over the past years and this year alone has been hotter than the past 40 before it. This we confirmed is not because of Global Warming. I will let our lead scientist Dave Moore step up to the stand to give you the details.” said Daniel Gregory. Dave Moore approached the microphone and began to talk.

“Thank you Daniel. Now we have all learned in Science back when we were in elementary that it takes 365 days for the earth to travel around the sun. The past 4 years we have noticed that the Earth is actually traveling around the sun in 289 days. The reason for the heat is not because of Global Warming, it is because the sun is pulling us in.” said Dave Moore with sadness. The crowd was nearly silent, many knew what this meant. The Earth itself was coming to an end. Sooner or later the earth and everything in it will be turned to ash.

“What does this mean for the people and the Earth?” asked a news reporter from the crowd. “We cannot be sure at the moment but this is evidence that the Earth will crash into the sun. We have estimated that the Earth will reach the sun in approximately 4 years, 7 months, and 24 days.” replied Dave Moore. I turned the TV off, I couldn't listen to another word of it. I knew it was true, I could feel it in the air. It was 103 degrees outside in the middle of November. In Texas, that's a big deal. This is something I never wanted to know. It's like knowing when you're going to die, the second it will happen.

Will Continue If People Like it So Far!

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:56 am
Phillauthet wrote a review...

Hi! I'm here for a quick review!

I really liked the plot of this work. It's intriguing, and seems real though I know it's not. It's convincing. I like the way you portray it as a talk on TV, and not as what is going on in the protagonist's mind.

I found only one aspect you could consider changing, and they're probably just typos. In the first paragraph, you say 'scientist'. I think it would make more sense if you changed them to 'scientists'.

Overall, this was a great work. I see that you're pretty inactive right now, but if you come back, and read this review, I hope you continue this story.

Keep Writing!

First Impression: Soo..this was a neat little start here to this story....we've got what appears to be a pretty pressing matter for the people of Earth going on right there...aaand well it certainly is the type of first part that's get a reader's attention pretty quickly here.

Uhh...alright well this is a really interesting story there...nice little history lesson with regards to science...which is actually pretty accurate. The thing is though, that is a very weird transition, one does not often just jump from talking about the Big Bang Theory over to the topic of Earth's temperatures being measured...as far as speeches go, an opening like that would seem a bit weird. It just started with a point that was completely off topic.

Welll...as bad as the opening of the speech was, this at the very least seems interesting, this will definitely get your attention as a reader the fact that these people appear to suggest that the Earth has been experiencing this rise in temperature but not due to this thing that's commonly accepted. So cool premise at any rate.

As a fan of science, I will have to point out that a movement of that magnitude is ridiculously impossible, or at least not without a massive external force of some sort that absolutely would have caused a lot of chaos on Earth. It might seem like 4 years is a lot but in terms of the galaxy, its nothing but a blink of an eye there...and the sun at any rate is only going to get weaker in gravitational energy to do any pulling over time as opposed to stronger like this suggests. But...forgetting that...this is a cool idea...some very big stakes being put forward there, definitely gets your attention as a reader.

Knowing you're going to die 4 years before it happens is a bit different to a second, but I do get what he's attempting to convey here cause if this is set in present day Earth there isn't too much that humans can do to save themselves, so it seems like an unavoidable thing there...At any rate, I do like this ending here...creates a lovely cliffhanger that will certainly make you want to read the next part to find out more.

Overall: Overall, we have ourselves a pretty solid story here...and I love this premise...it seems like it could lead to some pretty cool things and this first chapter here certainly leaves you imagining quite a few solutions and asking a lot of questions here. :D

`

birk wrote a review...

Hey Treaver!

This short story you have here could serve well as a feature.

The overall story is pretty interesting, and there is alot you could do with it. Focusing your story on either a small group of people, on a global scale or maybe even just one person.

The end of the world opens up alot of conflict, chaos and story. Alot to write about.
Your grammar is very good as is your structure.

There are, however, a few things you would need to work in if you continue this.
There is little to no characters. Of course this is only a small portion of a press conference.
We have no idea of which direction this story is going. It's a pretty interesting setup, so I hope I'll see this continued.

artsy went over your phrasing and build, so I'll just end with saying you should give this one a go.

Cheers
Birkhoff

artsy wrote a review...

I can see this as something I would be following on here. I like where you're going with this. Just some stuff to point out.

You start off in a Hit The Ground Running sense with your opening paragraph. Me, being a science nerd, I don't mind reading long articles on National Geographic about space, time, weather, etc. And I absolutely don't mind you having an entire first paragraph explaining the Earth's current situation (in this parallel universe, of course). But not many people will take much interest as I have, so you may want to break it up in smaller chunks, discard unwanted info, or break dialogue and put some actions in.

For starters, where are we? What's taking place? A town assembly? Presidential broadcast? Hostage situation? (Unlikely, but you'd be surprised at a reader's imagination)

At the end, we figure out we're in Texas, and we're watching TV, but may we know more about who we are as well? You have the first page to hook your reader and let them decide if this story is a sink or swim; this probably isn't the entire first page, since you're testing the waters with this, but the preview should be just as good as the rest of it.

Work on some of your phrasing as well.
Their research has found that the world is getting hotter and they guessed it was caused by the people and they called this “Global Warming”.

This confused me a little, and took me some time to figure out the meaning this sentence held. Break it up into smaller sentences, or more complex sentences, rather than have a long one. The keyword here is concise. Get rid of all the fluffy, frill embroidery and get down to your raw material. Once you have your raw material, mold it, cut it, add on to it, but don't overdo the fluff. No one likes too much fluff in a story.

...said Daniel Gregory.

This goes with the telling us more part. Who is Daniel Gregory? President? Town Mayor? Astronaut? Alien in disguise? As readers, we're dependent on you to tell us everything that's necessary to understanding this story. The identity of Daniel Gregory is part of that 'everything'.

...our lead scientist Dave Moore step up to the stand to give you the details.”

That's more like it. If you feel like you're constantly spoon feed us information, no matter how necessary, then sneak it in somehow. You managed to tell us the identity of Dave Moore by letting Daniel Gregory telling us through dialogue.

“We cannot be sure at the moment but this is evidence that the Earth will crash into the sun. We have estimated that the Earth will reach the sun in approximately 4 years, 7 months, and 24 days.”

What I like about this part is that it shows us up front what the main problem is going to be, and we continue reading on from there about what's going to happen.

This is something I never wanted to know. It's like knowing when you're going to die, the second it will happen.

You can either expand on this now or later in the book. Character development is always definite in a good piece of literature. You've got to know where the character starts and ends to have a good sense of how they develop over time. It seems like our main character(?) has a philosophical side when it comes to his/her death.

You have a great premise already set, just add the little details, work from the raw materials, and you've got a great piece.

If you decide to post more up on here, message me the link and I'll review it. I'm looking forward for this story to continue.

If you have any questions about this, just PM me and I'm happy to oblige.
- artsy

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson