Home » Literary works » Poetry » Literature

12+

Twisted Love: Meant To Be Alone

by TheWordsOfWolf

I wonder if I was meant to be alone

It is that way sometimes isn't it?

someone built for no one

"Everyone has a match"

But do they really? 

How can everyone be made to be with someone? 

If it is true than I am certain 

I was made to be with you 

But I'm not and I can't ever be 

So I must be built to be on my own 

And you know, I'd rather be completely alone

Than be without you even for a moment 

So perhaps it is better this way

That I was built to be alone 

aooborromeo wrote a review...

Hello! My name is Via and I'm here for a review. So... let's get started!

POSITIVES:

First of all, I am partial to romance as a theme set for poetry. Lord Byron was one of my favorites growing up, and I'm a closeted romantic. Although this poem is a more sad romantic theme, it still can be very relatable for many of us who suffered from a unrequited love. Because of how relatable this is, I think everyone can get something out of it. And all of the lines stand out.

Your emotions are set loud and clear from the beginning of the poem. Henceforth, the theme is concise and clear. I loved the transition from the despair to hesitant acceptance. Like what @Phillauthet stated, it shows how people might actually think.

At first, I was hesitant to read this, like @LittleLee because, although I love romance, sometimes it gets too cliche. I always thought romance whether it's happy or tragic is one of the more harder subjects to write perfectly and uniquely since there are so many views on romance and love sometimes things tend to get repeated. I was proved wrong though.

While the flow is inconsistent, it actually strangely works here. The inconsistency in the rhythm to me adds depth of the changing emotions of the narrator on how they deal with their love problems. I'm not sure that was intentional or not, but either way, it's nice.

This line here

"Everyone has a match"

But do they really?

Like many others previously stated, leaves so much openness for conversation. Do we have a match? In Greek Mythology, the gods thought humans two powerful, so they separated our once four arms/four legs body so we spend our existence searching for our "other half". However, I am inexperienced in love. Like many on this forum, since we're all so young. I mean, I haven't even kissed anyone before, so what do I know?

What I do believe though, is we are compatible for a number of people, since we're always changing. We're always evolving, improving, maybe figuring out ourselves. To me, we really can't be made to love ONE human being since there's so many out there. Love is ever changing and moving, and feelings change with our changes. What I might want from a relationship now, could change when I'm twenty. Our partners might change.

What I do believe is set in stone is the fact that we need to love ourselves. I struggle with that due to my mental health, and I'm sure many people relate. I struggle to see what my boyfriend (who is my first boyfriend) sees in me. So if this poem is based upon your own feelings, there's always someone out there.

I like to think that even though the statement "there's always more fish in the sea" is a bit annoying. It's somewhat true. I like to think that there are dozens of people waiting for me to meet them and love them, and maybe love me back. Maybe one could be the one I marry. Or maybe I marry someone and then it turns out we're not right. Maybe I won't find real love until I'm 60 (hope it doesn't take that long).

So yeah, I don't really believe in soulmates, since there are so many other things that can make one happy and give one a fulfilling life.

CRITIQUES:

While I hate to interrupt my love talk, there are only two things I recommend.

Although the rhythm inconsistency is nice, I think commas and periods would make the poem flow a bit better for readers, yet still keep that nice inconsistency. Periods also add emphasis to some words.

Finally, auto capitalization is the bane of all poets. Lines that use enjambment or are broken sentences don't all need to be capitalized.

FINAL WORDS

So that's it for now! If this poem is something that you went or are going through, or anyone else... everything will be okay. There are dozens of people waiting to meet you and love you. Who knows what the future brings! I might be with my current boyfriend forever, or I'll find someone else. Change is inevitable and with changes in our environment, life, personality, interests, values, our love life changes as well.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there due to the hurt from the past. From my current experience, when your hurt bleeds into the relationship, it hurts your partner. I mean, my boyfriend says it breaks his heart that I still get scared of him breaking me due to what happened in my previous friendships and school. It puts a strain on yourself and your partner. Past wounds and scars suck, but we got to remind ourselves that it's all over. That one day you'll heal and maybe your partner could help with that or maybe not. Every relationship brings strife and hurt, but do we sacrifice all the good times because of it? And yeah, sometimes you do have to walk away.

Romance is tough. Life is tough. Finding the courage to trust and eventually love someone is super tough. Intimacy (emotional and physical) is tough. Maintaining a relationship in general is tough. However, through these challenges we grow. And even I break up with my boyfriend (which I'm not right now), I would have learned something about myself.

REMEMBER: Love comes from the inside. Loving ourselves allows to find enough love to give to others.

I don't think there's someone made just for me. Because love and our worth comes from what we do with ourselves in our lives and what makes our one person different. Whether that's taking care of a family, one's career, education, hobbies, travel, our values, our laughter, or our love for our partner, it all adds up to whether we think we're worth loving. Remember YOU deserve someone who loves every part of you; the good, the bad, the scary, the beautiful, the ugly, and everything in between. Don't settle for anything less than that.

And we are.

Final quotes of the day

To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
- Oscar Wilde

The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.
- Victor Hugo

One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.
- Paul Coehlo

Hey, thanks so much for the review I really appreciate it! I'll keep those points in mind thank you for pointing those things out!
-Wolf

Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am
Phillauthet wrote a review...

The varying tone, and the topic of this poem are really interesting. In the beginning, you show that sadness, but later on, that switches to resigned acceptance. It shows how people normally think, without any of that fine-tuning or silver coating. It's just raw emotion.

I'm straying from the topic here, but I just wanted to say that I think we are not 'made' for anything, we choose how we conduct ourselves, and what to do with our lives, if you get my point. But you're the writer, it's your wish what you wanna write.

This poem is great, keep writing!

Thanks so much for the review loved hearing your thoughts!

*Long drawn-out heartfelt sigh* Love this poem.

Awesome! I'm glad. Thanks for taking the time to read it and comment! I really appreciate it.
-Wolf

LittleLee wrote a review...

Hey there, Words! I'm a little late, but welcome to YWS!

It's nice to see someone new active around here. And you wrote such a lovely poem!

To begin with, I quite like the title of your work. It presents an idea of what the poem is about. At fist, I admit that I thought it was just another cliche love poem, but upon reading it I stand corrected. It is a love poem, but it shouldn't be lumped in with others of its kind because it stands out.

I, at least, can actually relate to many of the lines and have had similar thoughts in the past.

"Everyone has a match"

But do they really?

One of the reasons I dislike romance is because a lot of the time it's so unrealistic. The whole "meant for each other" trope gets on my nerves because of how implausible it is. Especially in high school. The question framed here is, therefore, to my liking due to how blunt it is. But do they really? So simple, and completely to the point.
I don't believe we all have a match.

I relate to the rest of the poem, too. I want to believe that the people I like are "meant" to be mine and all that, (I blame hormones and webtoons, haha) but at the same ime feel like I was built to be alone.

So, when it comes to being relatable to your readers, I give it 10/10. Damn hormones.

Like Wren said, the way you flit between "I was built to be alone" and "I was made to be with you" provides a really good representation of (y)our internal conflict. Do you choose you brain or your heart? That kind of thing.

Ahhh I'm not mentally sound at the moment so I'll excuse myself before I start overly gushing about how each line stands out to me. But good job, dude. Good job. This is a well-written poem.

~ Excuse my rant and I'm sorry if my train of thought wandered away from criticism ~
Have a good day!
- Lee

Hey, Lee! Thanks so much for the review! I really appreciate it. I%u2019m so glad you can relate to the poem. I like writing things people can relate to and kinda bring them together. Again thanks so much for the review!!

As always,
Wolf

Ah, no idea how that typo happened sorry about that. And I can%u2019t edit it so I%u2019ll leave you with this.

LittleLee says...

You mean the series of numbers in place of an apostrophe? That happens sometimes, I don't know why. Perhaps you could ask one of the mods?

Ah, I see. Thank you. I will ask one of the mods about that and in the mean time I shall try to avoid the use of an apostrophe!

WrenZorya wrote a review...

Good morning, afternoon, evening, night, or whatever it is in your active imagination. Who hurt you? You should exact revenge upon them.

Your title is interesting and compelling! I love the way this poem reads, it’s very fluid. I understand the mood of this and I feel for the writer. I wonder why they can’t be with their “match?”

I like the back and forth,
“I was made to be with you”
“I was built to be alone”
It made me wonder what you would choose at the end!

I love the how in the beginning, you didn’t sound certain, but as the poem moved on you solidified your choice and didn’t feel any uncertainty.

Good bye, adios, au revoir, arrivederci, sayonara, or whatever language you fancy today!

Hey, Wren! Thanks so much for the review always love to hear your thoughts. Keep writing and as always, beware the trees.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.