z

Young Writers Society



Women's Arm Wrestling Champion Of The World, Ernest Hemingway!

by Willard


Idle hands covered in acrylic paint
will paint a dog riding a skateboard
in the school parking lot,
the only light source are the 
lamps scheduled to set off
in five minutes.

Maybe they'll prepare a ham sandwich afterwards,
write a poem about how the Cubs will win in five
or how everything in this world is beautiful
even if the only thing they want to do
is go speeding down 395 and cause
a six vehicle crash with only five survivors.

Soft white hands will death grip the wheel
to prevent swerving in between lanes
with full awareness that it could happen,
that the Sebring could flip out of control
and the sky would bleed 
gasoline and glass.

Maybe the wheels will remain straight
and drive forty miles north,
find that one cool bookstore in Reno
and read a book about third wave feminism.
The book will be bought for 9.96
because the hands still have
three hundred more pages to go.

Impatient hands will write
"Women's Arm Wrestling
Champion Of The World,
Ernest Hemingway!"
in Dollar Store chalk
on the school playground,
with hope that this trend
will continue for a long time.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:19 pm
Audy wrote a review...



I am back!

So, I loved the elegant way of stepping into these thoughts and these imageries, an afterthought and a contemplation and a zeal for trying to find the meanings and connections here, and I truly felt that whilst reading.

There are a lot of hands here as a motif that I think gets lost amidst the story telling, though. Perhaps the intention is for a subtlety with it, but I feel with the allusion to Hemingway and the title of arm wrestling, it desires more focus! Is this a piece espousing views on hypermasculinity or a more modern or feminist's perspective on it? It is vague and blurry and watered down in parts, it is like - I know there is more meaning in say "idle hands" or "soft white hands" or "impatient hands" they are contrasted with each other, but as they are now, they do not mean much to the reader, I don't see the connection between the soft white hands and the events that lead to them, we don't view these people or foils quite so clearly - not yet at least.

So it's difficult to distinguish whether you mean society as a whole preparing their ham sandwiches, or a particular group of people represented by their hands, and I feel like it could be the latter, as it does seem to be contrasted in the rest of the poem with different outcomes as to their lives. I would love a moment to chat with you on this, I love the big ideas and I love your tone and easy pace for storytelling, I just want to see what we can do to get those big ideas more clearly across, because I get the sense of them, but not yet narrowed exactly really what it is the narrator wants said.

I hope this helps!
~ as always, Audy




User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:43 pm
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



Death wish and paranoia, but existential contentment. Freaking teenage poets.

The maybes and the definite outcomes are obvious contrasts between the inner mind and outer world, but I do like the mesh of imagery that melds into gems liiiike:

the Sebring could flip out of control
and the sky would bleed
gasoline and glass.


Paranoid imagery is always fun and horrific and delicious. I love it. Visceral and almost unreal to the point of the narrator dictating from outside the vehicle. I dunno. The scene plays out further than the words give boundaries. It's nice.

"Soft white" as a descriptor is weak and garbage compared to the remainder of your material. Figure it out.

The remainder is lovely and realistic, apropos for your style and voice, but the maybes are cumbersome. Experiment with the areas of indefinite storytelling and see if there's a smoother way of introducing those thoughts? I think you'd be pleased with the outcome.

Thoughts for thought,
Ty




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:36 am
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

Idle hands covered in acrylic paint
will paint a dog riding a skateboard
in the school parking lot,
the only light source are the
lamps scheduled to set off
in five minutes.


This is a strong starting stanza, and I think that there only a few things that could be changed to improve it. I suggest putting a period at the end of line three instead of a comma, and I felt like there was a lack of punctuation here, but that and maybe a comma after the first line is all you really need. The other thing I suggest is expanding on the lamps or redefining the lamps. Do you call the streetlights lamps there, or are they literal lamps? I felt as if this was a little confusing. I also felt as if it's debatable whether this adds anything to the theme of the poem, but it does set up with the imagery. I just didn't really find anything more to think about than what's already here, but I don't think that was the purpose of the stanza. If it was, then the meaning needs to be more clear? Yeah.

Maybe they'll prepare a ham sandwich afterwards,
write a poem about how the Cubs will win in five
or how everything in this world is beautiful
even if the only thing they want to do
is go speeding down 395 and cause
a six vehicle crash with only five survivors.


This stanza kind of jumps from place to place and I think that's what you were aiming for but to fit this all into one stanza made it kind of awkward. Because at first we're talking about a ham sandwich and then the Cubs and then a car crash. Another thought that was brought up in my mind is that the poem is being told with a "they" in it which I assume is a group of people but it isn't really defined who "they" are. The last three lines made me wonder if they wanted to cause a five vehicle crash to only injure one of the people in the group but it may be referencing something else that I don't know or think about. In the first stanza it isn't exactly pointed out or clear that this is a group and I was thinking that maybe the idle hands were the speaker's, but maybe not.

Soft white hands will death grip the wheel
to prevent swerving in between lanes
with full awareness that it could happen,
that the Sebring could flip out of control
and the sky would bleed
gasoline and glass.


It comes to the next stanza and we're still on driving, which is a weird pacing change. Here I also felt there was a lack of punctuation and it's generally just not there. I don't know if this was a choice of yours or if it wasn't noticed but for me it makes the flow more iffy. The stanza here feels awkward because the third and fourth lines don't really connect with "that it could happen" and "that the Sebring" being right after each other. I suggest either adding punctuation around there or rewording it. The image made at the end of the stanza is really nice here, so I give you props.

Maybe the wheels will remain straight
and drive forty miles north,
find that one cool bookstore in Reno
and read a book about third wave feminism.
The book will be bought for 9.96
because the hands still have
three hundred more pages to go.


The first four lines in this stanza feel awkward, specifically the shift from line two to line three with the starting back up with "find that". It just feels like it's dragging on when it doesn't need to be and it could be a new line that starts differently. I also think that your choice to start with "Maybe" is odd, and I think it has a hard time of connecting to the stanza before it because of it. "Maybe" what, exactly? I'm thinking that maybe if they didn't crash or didn't decide to, but we also don't know quite whom would drive to read a book about third wave feminism.

Impatient hands will write
"Women's Arm Wrestling
Champion Of The World,
Ernest Hemingway!"
in Dollar Store chalk
on the school playground,
with hope that this trend
will continue for a long time.


I like the connection with the first stanza and the last stanza of chalk. It does a good job of connecting the two with it, but I didn't really feel that for the rest of the poem. Maybe I just didn't exactly get it or didn't get all of the references enough, but some of the stanzas didn't really connect for me. They all felt like individual trees that were too scattered to be called a forest. They didn't create a theme, at least for me. I had myself asking a bit, "What was the point of this?" here and there, but that might be just me. The theme just didn't come together for me though subtly they connected like the parking lot and driving and the chalk.

I hope this helped and have a great day!





pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn