Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Isolation or Civilization?

by Stellarjay

Author's Note: I wrote this for an Essay contest. How was the punctuation and the title? If you have any changes to suggest please tell me! Thank you.

William Golding wrote a very well laid out novel, everything has symbolic meaning even the island. In the very beginning of the novel, Ralph lays out their situation, the plane crashed on a jungle island, there are no grownups and the airport that they flew from was atom bombed. This island is completely isolated, the boys have no contact with civilization, there aren’t any adults and to top it off no one knows where they are.The setting is an island because Golding needed a place that was isolated and completely disconnected from civilization in every way.

The island needed to be secluded from civilization in all ways possible. In order for the book to work, Golding made sure that the boys were out of reach from civilization. “They stood on the top and could see a circular horizon of water.” This establishes the truth that the boys are completely alone on this remote island. Golding couldn’t have contact with civilization in the novel so that he could have a stronger plot. If they had any contact with others, the novel would be quickly over. Thus the boys are completely isolated and the adults are nowhere to be seen.

In order for the novel to work, the boys would need to be able to roam free without adult supervision. “There aren’t any grownups. We shall have to look after ourselves.” This sets the stage for the boys survival skills and for the rest of the novel. Throughout the entire book we see the boys cross many lines that they couldn’t have with adult supervision. For example earlier on in the book Jack tries to kill a piglet, “The three boy rushed forward and Jack drew his knife again in a flourish.” Even if they were isolated, did anyone know where they were?

They soon figured out that no one knows where they are, allowing all the events in the novel to happen. “Nobody knows where we are.” This fact alone sets the stage for the rest of the novel. If anyone knew where they were, the boys would have been picked up in a short amount of time. Golding used this as a why to create a few symbols such as the fire. The boys wouldn’t need it if someone knew where they were. Also the novel would have little suspense if the reader knew that the boys would be found in the end. Golding did an excellent job of creating suspense in his novel.

The setting of the novel was an island so that the boys would be isolated from any contact with others and from civilization. This helped Golding have a strong plot and a great amount of suspense. As the reader can see it was a necessity for the setting to be an island. If it was on the mainland or if they had contact with civilization, the novel would be over in a few pages. Thus the island played a very important role in the novel and Golding made very good use of it.

Liberty wrote a review...

Hey there!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on. I'm here to review your essay real quick as you requested a while ago. My apologies for how late this is. Let's get started, now, shall we? Righto.

First of all, I'm not very into reading, let alone reviewing, essays or assignments, but this is great! I like the format, and it's pretty interesting. Telling readers about how a writer does his writing. All the details, and at the end, you give us a very nice ending, a satisfying ending, that "yes this writer got his plot now, good".

Anyways, you asked for reviewers to point out grammar, punctuation errors, and the title. The title is pretty great! It suits your essay well and reads smoothly. Grammar and punctuation was pretty great, just make sure you shorten your sentences when they get too long. Your punctuation was wondrous, though! Great job!

Not sure if this is late or not, but good luck with the contest!

Done with my review. I hope this helped in some sort of way. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me any questions whenever!

And as always...

~Liberty

Oxara wrote a review...

Hello there!
Ox here for a review day review

I am getting back into the swing of things so bare with me at times!

So you did ask for spelling and grammar and that so I will mention that, though I am far from an expert. "In the very beginning of the novel, Ralph lays out their situation, the plane crashed on a jungle island, there are no grownups and the airport that they flew from was atom bombed" This is just too much for one sentence, you could probably make grammatically correct. However as it stands it's just easier and will flow nicer if you put it into something like "At the start of this novel, Ralph, (whatever character he is) lays out the situation. Things look grim as their plane had crashed on a jungle islands. Even worse their no grownups to guide them were there. But it turns out they were the luckily ones and the airport, their plane departed from, had an atomic bomb drooped on them. Just a quick note, whenever your refereeing to a bomb it's not an "atom" bomb it a "atomic."

Secondly "The setting is an island because Golding needed a place that was isolated and completely disconnected from civilization in every way." these sentences for the part part are grammatically correct, but they don't flow or read very smoothly. You probably has heard the saying of "show don't tell." That could be applied beautifully here, have Golding actually DOING this, have him think "a setting that is isolated from society... I GOT IT AN ISLAND" it's very lose and the form you had it in could work, but writing like that is a great step, they still may not read very smoothly but if you read them outlound you can probably tell their almost robotic which may smoothed away by showing and not telling!

"The island needed to be secluded from civilization in all ways possible" this is near- direct repeat of the sentence above

"'They stood on the top and could see a circular horizon of water.'" It feel awkward to jump to an actual writing in the novel, ease into it, and I much prefer when author use italics than quote marks, when someone is reading or writing something but that may just be me and quote marks can work. I just find it gets confused with any dialogue you may add.

"The island needed to be secluded from civilization in all ways possible. In order for the book to work, Golding made sure that the boys were out of reach from civilization. “They stood on the top and could see a circular horizon of water.” This establishes the truth that the boys are completely alone on this remote island. Golding couldn’t have contact with civilization in the novel so that he could have a stronger plot. If they had any contact with others, the novel would be quickly over. Thus the boys are completely isolated and the adults are nowhere to be seen."
This entire paragraph is just trying to say one idea in a rather clunky way. You could say "The boys could have exactly no interaction from civilization, so the story is engaging. Ralph began to write *The boys stood, the fire starting after hours of trying with a old flint they have found. It was much more difficult than the TV show's made it appear* ....

I could go on in very similar ways but in general if you correct this novel for grammar/flow according to these edits it can make a huge way.

Now let me offer a general piece of advice, which is kinda of what is the point of piece? what story are you trying to tell me? Currently your just telling me the setting, almost like an essay. But this isn't an essay it's a story, it can live and breath and it should or could lead somewhere. Tell me WHY Is William Golding writing this? Who are the boys? Could what the Boy and Golding connect? These types of questions can lead you to a more interesting and engaging story

Anyway, I hope this helps! feel free to ask any questions,
Oxara

ServalX wrote a review...

I hope your having a good day or night whereever you are! This is ServalX here for a review! Since you asked for punctuation critique I'll just focus on that mkay?

.

This island is completely isolated, the boys have no contact with civilization, there aren’t any adults and to top it off no one knows where they are.The setting is an island because Golding needed a place that was isolated and completely disconnected from civilization in every way.

You missed a space by the word the.
.
“There aren’t any grownups. We shall have to look after ourselves.” This sets the stage for the boys survival skills and for the rest of the novel.
You might want to add a hyphen between the words grownups.
.
For example earlier on in the book Jack tries to kill a piglet, “The three boy rushed forward and Jack drew his knife again in a flourish.”
The words For example need a comma after them.
.
Golding used this as a why to create a few symbols such as the fire.
. You misspelled the word why, as way. XD.
.Those are all the errors I could find!

.

Stellarjay says...

Thank you so much for the review! I'll definitely triple check my spelling!

ServalX says...

Your welcome!

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 pm
LadyMysterio says...

Hello Stellar Jay.
Heres that review I promised.
Honestly this is very well written, and there are no grammar or spelling mistake I can find.
I like how you add snippets from the novel to back up your points.
The puncuation and title are all good.
Good luck on the contest.

-The Lady Of Mystery

Stellarjay says...

Thank you! much appreciated :)

Because America runs on Dunkin' but Dunkin' runs on Windows 98.
— Colin Jost