z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

The Darkness

by Password


They always tell you to fear the dark. They tell stories of the monsters and evil creatures that live in the dark. The evils that lurk in it, waiting for the perfect time to attack. They speak of how darkness in itself is horrible, how it'll corrupt you if you get near. 

They say how the light is better, purer, good. How you should trust the light. How you should love it. 

What they always seem to fail to mention though, is the horrors that happen in the light. How the light is papery thin, not being able to shield you from its terrors. The wars that happen in it. The gunshots, and deaths. 

The darkness though is thick and soft, like a warm, cozy blanket. Covering you, and comforting you. The gunshots can't travel though the thick darkness, nor can weapons used in war. In the darkness you are alone, but with hundreds of friends. In the dark everyone dies peaceful and happy. 

So when they tell you to fear the dark. Don't. Visit the dark, and play. 

Though remember to visit the light as well. Despite what I've said you need both the dark and the light in your life. Remember to keep a balance. Now with all that said, just promise me one thing. You won't fear the dark, as they did. Promise me you'll explore it, and have fun. That's all I can ask, thank you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 31
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:57 pm
RadDog13579 wrote a review...



Hey Password, I'm a little late to review this but decided to do it for RevMo. This was a really great short story. It not only delivered an amazing message but also gave a really entertaining read. For being such a short piece it really didn't feel rushed at all. The only problem I have with this is when you say

espite what I've said you need both the dark and the light in your life.


This really doesn't make sense to what the rest of the story is telling you. I would maybe rephrase that to make it more understandable. Overall this is an amazing short story and I can't wait to read more from you. Welcome to YWS and happy writing!

-RadDog




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 12700
Reviews: 160

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:10 pm
View Likes
Valkyria wrote a review...



Hello Silver_Lining,

Welcome to YWS, and happy review month! I hope you're enjoying your time here. Let's get started, shall we?

I admit I was not expecting such a short story. I like it. Sometimes, it's challenging for writers to write in a short space, but this story didn't feel rushed. You executed it so well. I got the point, and nothing felt out of place. As @Horisun said, the word choice is great. I love how you describe the darkness as a source of comfort:

The gunshots can't travel though the thick darkness, nor can weapons used in war. In the darkness you are alone, but with hundreds of friends.


The others mentioned it, but I have to say it again. I love the message. The dark is just as wonderful as the light. And I like how you bring balance by mentioning the terrible things found in the light, too.

I would like to see imagery when the light should be trusted. How it should be loved. You give us these fantastic descriptions of the darkness; a good amount should be given to the light as well.

Great job!
Athena




User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:52 pm
View Likes
Horisun wrote a review...



Hello there, I hope you are having a grand day or night!
I'm mostly going to cover revisions, because @Lezuli did a really good job with the grammar side of things.
Reading through this, I loved our word choice, especially in the third paragraph, you did a really great job with that!
I also liked how compact this was. This sort of concept works really well when it's short and sweet. You came to deliver a message, and it hit home! (Not to say every piece should be super short, just saying it makes sense here)

However, I do have something to say regarding the last paragraph.
Well it has a good message about keeping balance in life, it did throw me off a bit. You sort of retract your message slightly.
"Though remember to visit the light as well." Why? Throughout the piece, your telling us that light is dangerous, and the dark is better. (Again, in the context of this work)
Also, the ending paragraphs message is that we need to have balance, well a good one, is completely different from the earlier story about the darkness.

That's just my opinion though. Also in my opinion is the fact that overall, this piece was awesome! I really hope to see more writing from you in the future, because this was a fun read! Have a great day!




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 1962
Reviews: 58

Donate
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm
View Likes
Lezuli wrote a review...



Hello and welcome to YWS! Though I am but a few months here myself, I hope you enjoy your time here! With that said, I shall commence with the review!
Allow me to start out by saying that I always like stories like this, where light doesn't always equal good and darkness doesn't always equal bad(there's not enough stories like this out there in my opinion). And you did a great job of writing this and showcasing that irregularity between what we're taught and what is reality.
For my suggestions, there are just a few minor grammatical things I noticed, all easy fixes!
#1: 'They tells stories of the monsters'. Here, there doesn't need to be an 's' at the end of tell.
#2: 'is the horrors they happen in the light'. I assume here you meant 'the horrors that happen in the light' instead of 'they happen in the light'.
#3: 'How the light in papery thin', you accidentally used 'in' here instead of 'is'.
#4: 'The darkness though is thick and soft, like warm, cozy blanket'. Two things here. The work would flow better with a comma after 'though' and you need an 'a' between 'like' and 'warm'.
#5: 'and have a fun'. Either that 'a' is misplaced, or you meant to write 'and have a fun time'.
#6: This last one is a personal suggestion, but it might make the ending a little more impactful if at 'Now with all that said' you started a new paragraph.
And that's all I have for you! I hope this helped you!




Password says...


Thank you! This was really helpful!



User avatar


Points: 176
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:08 pm
Password says...



This is my first work on here, hope you like it! :)





You'd better wise up, Pony... you get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothing can touch you, man.
— Dallas Winston, The Outsiders