Perfection ( EDITED)

by SilverRose

Perfection is nonexistent and is created by man’s self-image, imagination, and beliefs.

Really no one is perfect, not in looks or actions, for everyone has different ideas.

Perfect, if it were to have a truthful definition, would be an illusion of the mind but also in a way man being himself.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:51 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

I love the theme of this, it's very true. But I don't think this can be called a poem. You should break down the lines into stanzas, as it would give a much better impression. Then it would be in the format of a poem.
The words are good, anyhow and you obviously have potential. Write more!

Keep it up.

Mysticalxx

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:42 pm
Snoops wrote a review...

Hello Rose!

Perfection...interresting...

This is a hard topic to talk about, but you handled it nicely. It was shirt, which I thought was a shame, prolong it. Tell me more. Tell me about it! Tell me about perfection and its ilusion. Its self image, but also why you think of it that way. It is a hateful thing, and it kills real beauty and invoces pain. So, tell me more.

- Lau.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:55 am
liv1997 wrote a review...

Hello! Here for a quick review!

I love the idea and message of this poem, I just don't think you executed it very well. I would suggest writing it in stanzas instead of one paragraph. That way, there will be natural pauses in the poem and you can specifically emphasize things that toy want by making them their own line/stanza.

Also, you wrote "no" and I think you meant to say "no one."

The idea of the poem is beautiful, more on similar and related ideas would be awesome! Have a great day!

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:17 am
hermione315 wrote a review...

Hello! Hermione here as requested. I like the idea behind this poem, I'm just not sure that you delivered it in a very effective way. Poems can be written in the format of paragraphs, but I don't think this format helps out this particular poem of yours at all. I would suggest breaking your sentences into lines and stanzas. Here's an example of how I would go about rewriting this in a new format, but whether or not you decide to do it my way is completely up to you:

Perfection is a nonexistent idea
created by man's
self-image,
imagination,
and beliefs.

Really, no person is perfect,
not in looks or actions,
for everyone
has different ideas
of what perfect means.

If I were to give perfection
a more accurate definition,
it would be an illusion of the mind
but also in a way
of man being himself.

{If you decide to break your poem up into lines and stanzas, you'll probably need to play around with this a little and do it the way you want to do it. This is only a suggestion.}

Content: I really don't understand what ending part of you last sentence means. The rest of your poem is crystal clear, and again, I like your message. One thing that I think you should consider trying with this poem is adding a little imagery. Some poetic language. Maybe a metaphor or two to spice it up. :)

This is a good start. Keep writing! :)

Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:51 am
MaddieNicolette says...

One thing

I thing you mean no one.... not no is...
Otherwise great! love the short and sweet.

tabapugh52 wrote a review...

I Completely love this! I can not agree more with you, since the beginning we as humans have created and defined our own beliefs into what we believe is perfection. Yet no one can really give a true definition because one does not exist.

A story, no matter how short it is what we make of it, never loose sight of the chance to create something to be proud of!

I look forward to reading more of your work!

cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hello there, and welcome to YWS! cleverclogs here to review!

I like how this well this expresses why perfection isn't attainable. It's very true and I like how you phrased everything. Here are a few grammar mistakes:

So really no is perfect, not in looks or actions for everyone has different ideas.

I have a lot of problems with this sentence.

1. You started it with a conjunction, which is grammatically incorrect.

2. "No" should be "no one" or "nobody". Or maybe "nothing".

3. The whole part of the sentence after the comma bothers me. Maybe it's because there needs to be another comma after "actions," or because "for" was used very awkwardly.

Overall, my recommendation for this sentence is to just rephrase it so it a) doesn't start with "so," and b) reads more naturally.

Perfect, if it were to have a definition would be an illusion of the mind but also in a way man being himself.

This sentence has issues, too (I'm allowed to be really nitpicky since this is so short :P).

1. There should be a comma after "definition".

2. "Perfect" does have a definition. This sentence presumes that it does not. Maybe say something like, "if perfect were able to have a correct definition...". Please don't use that exactly, though. It's crap. Something along those lines would work nicely.

3. There should be a comma after "mind".

4. Rephrase "but also in a way man being himself" to "but also man being himself in a way".

Well, now that I've torn this apart technically, let's talk structure. This is in the "poetry" category. I understand that poetry can be in paragraphs and still be poetry. Some of my favorite poems that I've read on this site are in prose. However, I'm not sure that this is... poetic enough. This comes across as very technical and straightforward. If you could dress it up in more poetic language, it would full-on poetry. Another option would be to experiment with putting it into lines and stanzas. It's nothing you need to commit to, but you could see how it looks that way.

I have a question, too. Your title is lowercase, but your poem is properly capitalized. Is there a reason for this? I ask because usually if the title is lowercase, the poem is too.

Overall, I like the sentiment that this gets across and think that it's very true. You did a great job putting this into words, but this could use a bit of touching up. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Scribble wrote a review...

I like this, very simple, honest and short. Brings the point across.

I totally agree, nothing is perfect. I personally think the notion shouldn't exist. It creates standards we cannot hope to achieve and will ultimately bring you down.

However, it can change from person to person i think. Peoples ideas of perfection are very different. For example, in a relationship, there may be such admiration for ones partner, that in their eyes the recipient is 'perfect'. Perfect to them, despite any flaws, thats what makes you you.

But yes it is indeed just a notion man has created in order to try and, shall we say, create a new level of excellence for himself. Its unrealistic, and 'non-existant'.

Hope to read more from you soon.

- Scribble

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte