In the Hands of Six 1.4

by Omni

Doctor Strange settled down on his fabricated velvet chair, letting out a deep sigh. Wong and The Ancient One sat in similar seating, although neither or them looked nearly as comfortable with it.

Explaining the situation to them both was strange for Wong; it felt surreal for him to recount the events he had experienced not long ago as if he were reciting accounts from a history book. It distanced him and disassociated him from what had happened. At certain points, he even managed to convince himself that it hadn't actually happened was just an interesting account from a sorcerer written in a time long lost. But, his limp and vanishing arm was humbling reminder that this was all too real and an inevitability was closing in on him no matter the outcome of this conversation.

Strange opened his mouth, then closed it. He muttered something unintelligible. Wong glanced at The Ancient One, but she said nothing. Her demeanor was calm and controlled. She seemed intent on waiting for Strange's input. Wong wished she would say something, at least, to drag them out of this terribly uncomfortable situation.

"I'm sorry," Strange finally managed. "I'm sorry, I'm just trying to gather my thoughts, Wong. I'm sure you understand."

Wong bowed his head in understanding. He couldn't blame the sorcerer.

Strange gestured to The Ancient One. "Do you have any thoughts on this yet?"

"I'm enjoying watching your how your mind processes this, if I'm to be honest, Strange."

This illicited a chuckle from the group, and Wong felt his muscles ease and relax. He couldn't be sure how long they were that tense. He had finally made it. Hopefully these two sorcerers would have answers for him.

But what if they didn't?

Strange straightened himself, leaning in to Wong. "This is quite troubling news for your universe, old friend, but I'm going to channel some of my inner Ancient One here, even though I myself had troubles applying myself to, well, following them. But, the rules are clear here. We are to not meddle in the affairs of cosmic entities unless they directly affect the livelihood of those under our protection.

"As for your other problem," he stood up and gingerly took Wong's arm in his hands. The infection had spread to his shoulder, and only a magic cast and ash remained of much of the rest. "This is interesting."

"Interesting? That's not what I would call this..."

"Of course," Strange waved it away, "what I meant is that I can still sense your arm. It's not there to any sense but my sixth." He pressed on what would have been Wong's fingers. "Do you feel that?"

"Of course not."

"Okay, well, try moving your finger."

"Strange," Wong began, "I don't know what you mean."

"When people lose their limbs, they often experience a feeling referred to as 'phantom limbs.' Their brain never truly forgets the sensation of having the limb, even after years or decades without it. So, humor me, Wong."

Wong sighed and closed his eyes. He focused his attention on his arm that was there not too long ago. Long ago, Wong taught an initiate who had lost the battle with paralysis to much of her body. She believed she could no longer do anything with her life when she found herself at Kamar-Taj's doorstep. But, through the mind's eye much can be visualized that isn't seen in the normal senses. So Wong taught her, so he must do again himself.

He visualized the idea of his arm, not necessarily on the complete image of it. Concepts and ideas were far easier for the mind's eye to access than concrete images. He willed his fingers to move into a closed fist.

He felt it.

"So did I, Wong." He didn't realize he said his thoughts aloud.

"I'm not sure what kind of magic this is..."

"It's Infin-" Wong started.

"Yes, Infinity Stone magic, but every magic has a source of power. This source of power is always from a dimension, either the same dimension it was cast from or a different one. Such as the Doom Dimension," he added, gesturing to The Ancient One. She nodded her affirmation, clenching her jaw. "Magic gives off a scent, so to speak. It's faint, but noticeable by those trained to look for it. Think of it as a fingerprint for magic."

"And you're saying this magic doesn't have a fingerprint?" Wong said.

"No, no, don't be ridiculous."

Wong squinted at Strange, but the sorcerer took no notice of it, continuing. "This has a fingerprint, but it's something far beyond anything I've ever seen before." He shook his head. "I'm honestly unsure of how to help you, Wong. If I knew from what dimension this pooled from, then I could focus on the problem at its source, but this scent is so drastically different than what I'm used to, I don't think I could even begin to comprehend how to approach this." He slumped back into his chair. "I'm sorry, old friend."

Wong glanced at The Ancient One. "Do you have anything to add to this?"

She shook her head. "I'm more interested in what you have to say, Master Wong. You seem as if you have something you want to say."

Wong could feel the anxiety creeping its way into his blood and thoughts, but he steeled himself and drew a deep breath.

"Strange, I may not know who you are in your dimension, but in mine you cared little for rules. You had an Infinity Stone strapped to your neck, and you protected Earth from a myriad of cosmic entities. But, Thanos was ruthless, and he managed to collect all of the Infinity Stones. He had to, to do whatever this is." He pointed to his missing arm. "The Strange I knew questioned all rules and why they were put in place. Thanos is cold and calculated, but I'm more worried about what all he is capable of with all of the Infinity Stones. Rule can be changed, Strange. I know you know this."

"Why did Strange not stop Thanos from collecting the Infinity Stones earlier?" The Ancient One said solemnly.

Wong had no answer to that.

She let out a sigh. "Either way, Thanos is the grandson of an Eternal, which is an experiment of the Celestials, a cosmic entity. If you know anything of cosmic beings, you know they do not enjoy their experiments being trifled with. Because, Master Wong, cosmic beings have can sway the outcome of not just your universe, but the Multiverse itself. So, we do not tamper with these powers. That includes the Infinity Stones. There is simply too much we do not know."

"I know enough about these stones to know that this doesn't just affect my universe." Wong reached into his cloak and pulled out the book he grabbed before he left his dimension all that time ago. "Since Strange became the Sorcerer Supreme in my universe, I dedicated myself to understanding the Infinity Stones during my time as the keeper of the New York Sanctum. This was something I kept out of the reach of everyone, even Strange. I used practices not smiled upon within Kamar-Taj, but my search of knowledge was needed more than abiding by the rules. It was something I learned from someone." Strange smiled softly despite a stern look from the Ancient One. Wong set the book on his arm rest. "This knowledge is available to both of you if we had time. But, long story short, someone with all Infinity Stones could have access to all of the dimensions if they figured it out. Imagine someone like Thanos, someone with a mind of death, allowed access to not just one dimension, but all of them."

The Ancient One stood up, face contorted and deep in thought. She paced in front of her simple chair a few times before she slowed to a halt.

"I'm going to channel some of my inner Doctor Strange, as you say," she said. "I think it's time to break a rule. There may be something we could do, but there are so many components that could go awry and devastate everything that we've strove for." She turned to Wong. "We will be quick, Master Wong. I'm afraid there may be no solution that you want to hear. We cannot undo what magic has already been done."

"What are you thinking, Ancient One?" Strange asked.

"I'm thinking I would like to have a chat with Thanos himself." 

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:46 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hi there Omnom!

Finally back to give you some feedback.

First off, I find it funny that Dr. Strange is all "must follow the rules" because that would have made a boring movie. The Ancient One is more flexible, what? Honestly, though, multi-dimensional stories can work if they're distinct, and it's interesting to see these characters in very different positions. Wong remaining the same "my arm is disappearing, I need help" compared to how the two strongest people of this world have now switched personalities (temporarily) is a laugh-inducing juxtaposition.

I'm definitely worried for Wong here. I did like that sequence of teaching someone to move again, in comparison to him still feeling an arm that's literally not there anymore. I do think that it seems most people would more demand action quickly rather than talk about the situation so much, but since both leaders were kind of like "that's breaking rules" I guess Wong would be stuck in waiting for them to make a decision.

Still, I'd be way more likely to silently wave my somehow dissociating arm in the air in no direct fashion to garner a response. Like this is an apparent friend of both people in the room and they're just kind of like "that's bad and sorry you're like dying, but eh" for at least the majority of the conversation.

The conversation was good, definitely, but it irks me lol. Those winded conversations in novels between epic battle scenes where they feel like they can talk as long as they want to makes me want to scream "do something already!"

The ending sentence intrigues me a lot, definitely! I'm curious as to how this could possibly happen, and how this could lend itself to the Infinity Stones being in the hands of the eventual characters XD.

Overall, this was a good transitional chapter and the conversation flowed good, I just feel this sense of urgency that only Wong seems to feel, since like he's dying, yo.

I'll try getting to your other chapters soon!

-concord :)

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey Omni, I believe with this I will be finished all possible reviews on novels I've been following for LMS week 4!

Nit-picks:

At certain points, he even managed to convince himself that it hadn't actually happened was just an interesting account

Missing a "but" somewhere in there.

vanishing arm was humbling reminder

And an "a" somewhere here.

to drag them out of this terribly uncomfortable situation.

I'm not sure how explicitly people reflect on being in uncomfortable situations while they're happening. It's more like "Wong just wished that this silence would end". For some reason "situation" implies to me looking back on a moment as a whole.

"I'm enjoying watching your how your mind processes this

One too many "your"s.

"Of course," Strange waved it away

This is super not a nit-pick but it's just really really funny for me and I think you might get a laugh out of it. Okay, so for context, I am reading Cloudkid writing a Johnlock fanfic on a pad. I am already confused because it's like SHERLOCK what the HELL are you WEARING? But now with that interaction it's like Strange is Sherlock and Wong is John and I'm dying XD

"I'm more interested in what you have to say, Master Wong. You seem as if you have something you want to say."

Repetition of "say" feels slightly off. Also how exactly can she tell? Some body language or facial expressions might be good here.

but I'm more worried about what all he is capable of with

I think this "all" is lost.

cosmic beings have can sway the outcome

And I think this "have" and "can" are battling it out for validity in this sentence.

but there are so many components that could go awry and devastate everything that we've strove for.

Is "striven" a word? I think it might be. If it is I think it's the right one for here.

I think this might be my favourite chapter yet! I've actually said that twice this LMS round, so it's been a good week for folks. I love the relationships between these characters, and the dialogue is so believable, but also entertaining. Wong reveals enough information to sound realistic, but not enough to bore us having already read the chapters/watched the movie. And that ending! I was so expecting Wong to find a time stone, take it back to his dimension (presumably with complications), rewind time, and stop Quill from punching whoever it was that started all this (I saw the movie a while ago xD). This is a lot less predictable and I am very excited to read that!

What I would like a bit more of is physical description. They have just changed dimension so they could be anywhere. A few clues would be greatly appreciated :P

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.