Clouds of music and Roads of joy.

by MoonIris

I’m laying in bed,

my music is loud,

but only I can hear it.

-

My smile is brighter than the stars

as my favorite part is coming ,

and I sing along.

-

I got a lump in my throat

because I know I’m going to sing the words wrong,

but that doesn’t stop me.

-

Travelling away,

on clouds made of music

and roads of joy.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 am
Shady wrote a review...

Heya MoonIris,

Shady here with a quick review for you this fine evening! Let's get started...

I’m laying in bed,

my music is loud,

but only I can hear it.

I like this opening! It paints a poignent mental image that slowly gets more and more specific as we go, from the loud music, to listening to it in earbuds/headphones. It's a nice way to frame the scene!

I got a lump in my throat

but that doesn’t stop me.

Is that a Riptide reference xD

~ ~ ~

I really like this poem! It's short and simple, but it still carries with it a certain level of emotion that I think we all can relate to, in music being a sort of consoling force in our lives, even as we lay alone in our bed.

It's not a long poem so I don't have a long review for you, but I did really enjoy this work! Great work!

Keep writing and Happy RevMo!

~Shady

Please enjoy this banner by @LittleLee

MoonIris says...

Thank you for the review! I'm glad u understood the Riptide reference :D

VioletFantasy wrote a review...

VioletFantasy here to give you a review. This poem is really sweet and has a carefree vibe to it. Listening to music that you like is one of the best things in the world! The music just completely envelops you. I think you explained this concept in a beautiful and understandable way.

My smile is brighter than the stars

as my favorite part is coming ,

and I sing along.

I love all of the stanzas in this poem, but this one is my favorite by far. I smile so much when I sing along to songs, so this part basically describes me (It probably describes a lot of people, but I’m just going to pretend that it was meant for me specifically xD)! You have some wonderful imagery incorporated into the first line, and I can really picture a person smiling inside and out. I also have one little grammatical critique for this stanza. In “as my favorite part is coming ,”, the comma needs to be right next to the last word.

Other than that one comma (which barely counts as a mistake because it was only a spacing accident), I didn’t find any mistakes in the poem. It is very well written and enjoyable to read! Keep writing! :)

MoonIris says...

Thank you for the review! I%u2019m glad you could relate to the poem. For me is important when people relate to my works. I%u2019ll fix that coma. :) Thanks again

I get a really suffocating image from this poem. I see a person laying on their bed with headphones in, taking one headphone out to check that you can't hear it from outside, and then singing along to their favorite part in whispers.

The line that says "I know I'm going to sing the words wrong" shows that even though this person is trying to feel carefree, like they are the only ones who can hear the music so it shouldn't matter, they are still nervous about being judged by someone. There is still someone who will judge their singing as "wrong".

I think the theme lying beneath this poem is powerful, tangled, and confusing. I think you are a smart author to tackle such a theme.

I hope that you will keep working this poem. This is the first image to come out from writing about this theme. There are more to be found. You can see a new image start to emerge when you end the poem with "clouds made of music/ and roads of joy". There is a new world waiting to be explored beyond these images. What do these clouds mean for the speaker of the poem? If there are roads of joy waiting, where will they take the speaker? And is she really travelling away on them, or will we end up right back in her bedroom?

I hope some of these thoughts are helpful to you as you work to improve this poem!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah

MoonIris says...

Thank you for the review. I%u2019m glad that you understood about the side of the poem that is about suffocating. I love singing along but because I don%u2019t have a good voice I am often worry about it. I%u2019ll definetly improve it feom the questions that you assked. Thanks again.

Ignorance wrote a review...

Heya! Gem here with a quick review for review day.

Pros

I love that it’s so short and simple but at the same time so touching. Just enjoying the little things in life, like, as described in the poem, your favorite song playing. I can practically feel the carefreeness, especially in this line:

but that doesn’t stop me.

The calm but happy energy is super noticeable throughout this poem.

Cons

In the first two stanzas, I can feel the rhythm, and I love it. But in the last two, I can’t seem to find that rhythm. Now, that might just be me, so take that with a grain of salt.

Now, I said that I love the carefreeness, and I really do. I just feels like it’s a bit too long, and kind of messes up the rhythm. Instead, I would use this:

because I know the words’ll be sung wrong,

but that fails to stop me.

Overall, I really enjoyed this poem. Keep up the great work!

-✵

MoonIris says...

Thanks for the review! I will try and improve what you pointed out. But sincerly I didn%u2019t intentioanaly created aby kind of rytme. I wanted to be a carfree poem about music. Thanks again :)

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid