Magic: Chapter 4

by SkyVibes, Kaia

Brandon wasted no time going to the bathroom to wash off the dog’s slobber as soon as they got to the cabin, and Kassie pointed him in the direction of it. Brandon almost gagged when he saw himself in the mirror. His hair was sticking straight up in multiple directions.

Outside the bathroom in the living room of the cabin, Aaron helped Ashlyn sit down on a couch. His eager eyes lifted to give the place a curious glance as he set down the bags he had slung over a shoulder down beside his sister.

“Wow, this place is huge. You could fit an army in here.”

Kassie laughed and knelt down to stroke Lexi behind her ears. “My parents are renting it for a small family anniversary, and me and Jed get the place to ourselves until our relatives arrive.”

Aaron moved back to the couch and sat down next to his sister. He looked at her worriedly because even while she slept, she still looked so tired.

“Do you happen to hear that loud bang that happened a second ago?” Jed as he as stepped toward the blond siblings sitting on the couch.

Aaron glanced up. “Yeah. We actually—”

Ashlyn pinched his arm, keeping her eyes shut.

Aaron glanced down at his sister and bit his lip. “We heard it,” he responded quietly.

“And you don’t know anything about it?” Jed pressed, taking a step closer.

Aaron’s red eyes bounced across the floor as he considered how to respond.

Jed sighed. “Okay, well at least you should be able to tell me what you’re doing here and where you came from. As far as I’m aware, that forest is considered part of the property of this cabin, so technically…” His voice trailed off dramatically as he crossed his arms and cocked an eyebrow slightly. “You’re trespassing.”

Kassie frowned and stood up, leaving the dog stretched out by the wall.

Aaron glanced up. “Uh…we’re from…uh….”

“You don’t even know where you’re from?” Jed snapped, frowning skeptically at Aaron’s hesitation and impatiently tapping his fingers on his crossed arms.

“No, I do,” Aaron replied. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “We’re from—"

“We live a good way away,” Brandon’s voice said from behind him. He met Aaron’s gaze telling him not to say anything more about it.

“Where?” Jed pressured, keeping his eyes fused to Aaron’s face.

“Oh, leave them alone, would you, Jed?” Kassie pleaded, casting her cousin a pleading glance. She cast Ashlyn a glance, and her frown faded into sympathy. “It looks like they’ve had a long day.”

Her eyes lifted and moved to Brandon. “You guys must be hungry. Come on. We have snacks in the kitchen.” She shot Jed a warning glance and nodded toward the kitchen. Rolling his eyes, Jed followed her dog and Brandon out of the room.

Aaron was left alone with his sister. Aaron looked down at her, but his attention drifted to a strange device with lots of buttons next to him. He picked it up and tried touching one. It did nothing.

“Put that down,” Ashlyn ordered, sensing through her shut eyes that her brother was up to mischief.

Aaron cast his sister a glance and returned his curious red eyes to the remote. He tried another button. A black shiny box in front of him turned on and loud noises and bright colors exploded inside of it. Aaron jumped with a yelp of fright, practically throwing the remote away from him as he jumped over the couch to hide behind it. He poked his head up enough so that he could see the box.

Kassie’s dog bounded into the room, barking loudly followed by Kassie.

“Are you okay?” Kassie asked, swiftly running up to Aaron. “What happened?” She looked at the box and shivered, “I don’t like horror shows either. This TV is horrible. Every time you turn it on during the day, there isn’t anything good to watch.”

“Kassie! Get away from him!” Jed yelled from the doorway. He hurried over to her and stood protectively in front of her.

“What’s wrong?” Kassie asked, stepping back and peeking curiously over her cousin’s shoulder.

Aaron stood up with confusion. Then, he realized it. When he had jumped over the couch, one of his dragon wings had been revealed. He quickly pulled the cape over it and put his hands out in innocence. “Wait, let me explain!”

“What are you?” Jed asked, flashing his eyes questioningly over the teenager’s shoulder from where he had seen the wing.

“Those are so awesome!” Kassie shouted from behind Jed. She gently pushed Jed out of the way and pulled Aaron’s cape off to reveal both wings. Aaron moved to the closest corner of the room with the darkest shadows in the attempt to hide. But it didn’t do anything. Kassie still reached her hands out and touched his wings.

“Oh, my gosh! This is so cool!” Kassie exclaimed, moving her fingers over the strange texture in amazement.

“Brandon!” Aaron screamed. “Help!”

Kassie backed away and rubbed an ear over her shoulder, “Hey, no need to yell so loudly. Nobody’s deaf here.”

Ashlyn cracked an eye open, and saw Brandon run out of the kitchen. Leaving the matter in Brandon’s hands, she shut her eyes again.

Brandon rushed into the room and stopped short, gazing mystified at the cloak on the floor, Aaron, and Jed who was trying to get Kassie to come to his side. His eyes moved back to Aaron. “What did you do? Can I not leave you alone for five minutes?”

Aaron tried to speak, but no words came out.

“Do you mind explaining what’s going on?” Jed asked, lifting his chin to give himself more of an authoritative look.

Brandon looked at Ashlyn who was completely passed out on the couch. She would know what to do much better than he would. Through his bangs, Brandon glanced at Aaron. “Should we tell them?”

Aaron only shrugged in an “I have no idea” gesture. “Why are you asking me?”

Brandon drew in a deep breath. “Maybe we should sit down and talk.” He sat down on a seat closest to Ashlyn and waited for the others to sit down. “So, this is going to sound really weird, but we are from another world, and we accidentally came here on the way to somewhere else.”

“Wait…so you guys aren’t in a movie?” Kassie asked, seeming disappointed.

“No!” Jed answered, his eyes snapping to Kassie’s face. “Of course they aren’t! How do you think a director would be able to get wings to grow literally right out of their shoulders like that, Kass?”

“Did you guys come in a spaceship?” Kassie suddenly asked, her face lighting up enthusiastically.

Aaron cocked his head to the side. “What’s a spaceship?”

“Never mind that. Finish explaining.” Jed demanded, keeping his eyes fixed to Brandon’s face in an unyielding glare.

Brandon sat back. “We meant to go to Ash’s home. But something happened, and we came here instead. Aaron and Ashlyn are dragonoids—meaning they are half dragon people. They have dragon wings—as you’ve seen from Aaron—and they can each make fire on command without it hurting them.”

“So, you guys are aliens?” Kassie asked, frowning skeptically. She cast Jed a glance. “I mean, that’s cool, too.”

Jed shook his head and slid a thin silver rectangle from a pocket in his jacket. “I’m calling the authorities.”

Brandon panicked. “No! You can’t!”

Jed glared at Brandon. “Give me one good reason not to.”

“We’re not dangerous. We just need somewhere to stay until Ash has her strength back. Look at her. She’s completely passed out.”

“‘Not dangerous?’” Jed asked, quizzically. “How are two dragon beings that can make fire and a guy with a real sword, not be dangerous?”

“Jed, you can’t call the police!” Kassie exclaimed, standing up. “I don’t think they’re dangerous.” Her eyes moved to Ashlyn, leaning her head on the armrest beside her. Her compassionate eyes moved back to her cousin. “Look at them, Jed. They’re tired and—”

“I don’t believe you,” Jed replied stubbornly, casting Brandon a particularly firm glare.

“They can make fire,” Kassie continued, stepping up to Jed and lowering his arm to his side. “If they were dangerous, they would have attacked us when we were in the forest. Let them stay. They’re nice people.”

“You guys have plenty of room,” Aaron added, casting the living room another glance. “We won’t be a problem.”

“Aaron, shush,” Brandon ordered in a scolding tone.

Aaron ignored him and stood up. “Please, me and my sister can’t be caught.” He started to fade out. “Where’s the dog?” he asked Brandon.

“Aaron, you’re fading out.” Brandon told him.

Aaron got irritated at himself. He frowned and shook his head, calming himself before going back to the topic. His sincere red eyes lifted. “If they catch us there’s no telling what people here will do to us. We would never hurt you. I’m begging you, please don’t call anyone.”

Kassie looked at Jed. “Jed…”

Jed sighed and put the phone down. “Fine. You can stay. But only until she’s well enough to take you back.”

“Thank you,” the boys said at the same time.

Kassie smiled faintly. Her eyes moved to the scowl on Jed’s face. Deciding to ignore it, Kassie turned back to the guests. “Well, if you guys are staying, we need to figure out what room you guys will be in.”

“And there probably won’t even be enough rooms for all of us,” Jed muttered, casting Kassie an unfriendly glance.

“Well, yeah, but they could…” Kassie’s voice trailed off as Jed stepped past her and started toward the kitchen. Kassie’s attention returned to the guests. “I’m sorry about Jed. He’s just in a bad mood and…” She cast the doorway another glance and pulled at her lower lip.

Her dog joined her at her side as if to comfort her.

“Apology accepted,” Aaron announced. “Where are we staying?”

Kassie cast Ashlyn a nervous glance. “Um…Let me show the rooms and you guys choose the rooms you want to have as yours. That good?”

Brandon nodded. He turned to Aaron. “You stay here with Ashlyn, and I’ll assign rooms.”

Aaron frowned. “But I want to see the rooms to, and—”

“After all the trouble you’ve caused—”

Kassie gently cut Brandon off. “He could come, too. We’ll only be gone for a little bit.”

Brandon cast Aaron a distrusting glance and returned his attention to Kassie. He nodded. “Get the bags.”

Aaron nodded, smiling gratefully as he grabbed the traveler’s belongings and followed Kassie to the hallway leading to the other rooms in the cabin. The dog trailed behind him.

Kassie stopped outside the first door on the right and opened it. “This is a smaller room, but I think it’s pretty nice. Like, I mean…all the rooms are nice and everything but…”

Aaron pressed past Kassie and cast the room a glance. “It is nice. Kinda small, but—”

“Ashlyn might appreciate being on the first floor. Let’s give this room to her,” Brandon suggested practically.

Kassie nodded. “That’s fine.” She backed out of the room and nodded across the hallway at the door directly opposite the one she had just pulled open. “That’s Jed’s room.” She started down the hallway to the stairs but suddenly halted and glanced up at the ceiling. She turned around and pointed at Brandon and then Aaron. She pointed to herself and lifted four fingers while her dog squeezed past her and bounded up the stairs ahead of her. “They’re four of us. Perfect. They’re four rooms.”

“Five,” Brandon interrupted as Kassie started up the stairs after her dog. “There’s five of us. Someone will have to share.”

“Oh, that’ll work out,” Kassie replied optimistically as she started up the steps. “The other room downstairs has two beds.” She reached the top of the stairs and flicked on a light, flooding a small common area with light. “Oh, but…” she lifted a finger to her lips as Aaron stepped past her and opened one of the two doors and peered inside.

“Wow! Check out this view, guys!” Aaron exclaimed from within.

Kassie turned back to Brandon. “The room with two beds is Jed’s room.”

Aaron popped back out of the room. “I don’t mind sharing with him,” he volunteered.

Kassie frowned and cast the stairs a nervous glance. “Yeah, but I’m not sure if Jed would be okay with that.” She gestured to the other door her dog had disappeared into. “I mean, that’s my room. Maybe Ashlyn could share a room with me.”

“The stairs would be difficult for her,” Aaron pointed out.

Kassie nodded. “Well, for now, let’s just call the other room downstairs yours. Jed can move up here with me if rearrangements need to happen.” She turned to Brandon. “I guess that means you’ll have the room across from mine.”

Brandon nodded and stepped past Kassie. He pushed open the door to the room they spoke about and entered the room.

Kassie turned to Aaron. “I’m going downstairs and get something started for supper.”

“Supper?” Aaron repeated with evident interest. “Are we going to get fed, too?”

“Well of course,” Kassie replied matter-of-a-factly as she started down the stairs. “We won’t have guests go hungry.”

“Awesome! Can I help, too?” Aaron asked eagerly. “It might go faster, and I’m starving.”

Kassie smiled and nodded.

Stickied -- Sat May 27, 2023 6:44 pm
SkyVibes says...

Hi guys! Currently I only have chapters 2 and 4 for Magic but please check out @KaiaJersaga 's account for chapters 1 and 3!
Thank you for reading!!

-Mercedes :D

First Impression: This was quite the little meeting here. Secrets being revealed is quite the move but I think its going to lay some interesting foundations here. This story is certainly poised to start going a few ways in the next few chapters especially because I think with these two groups having met we'll actually get a hint of what the plot itself might be like.

Well it seems we've gotten off to a fairly innocent start there, in terms of everyone just kind of doing what you'd expect them to want to do at this point. I think we're also going to get a good look at this cabin now, so this is starting out quite well.

Okayy well it seems we've just got them chatting about things now. It seems like slightly too much personal information to be giving out to be perfect strangers but then Kassie seems the type to be quite that talkative so this is building up quite nicely regardless.

Aaron glanced up. “Yeah. We actually—”

Well I have a feeling Jed noticed that little stutter there and things are really starting to build up here a tiny bit. They are very much going to want to hide a few things from each other but it looks like neither party is going to end up loving that plan too much.

Aaron glanced up. “Uh…we’re from…uh….”

Well it looks like they certainly don't have any kind of preparation in place for what to be doing when questioned a little bit. That's an interesting detail because I got the feeling they were a little bit more put together than what this is suggesting at the moment. These interactions are definitely going to be pretty entertaining.

Well Kassie is going to get them in some sort of trouble pretty soon with that particular attitude although I suppose for the moment that works out well for this lot actually getting along because it looks like Jed is going to end up butting heads with a few people here.

Okay that's an interesting reaction to a television. That's quite the combination to be working with in terms of portals being a thing and them not being too surprised by the house itself only for the television to be such a surprising one. That definitely makes you wonder a few things about where its coming from.

Well that's quite the combination of reactions. I like how things are almost reversed now with Kassie being the one that's doing most of the brushing off of the more alarming sounding moments while Jed is now the one noticing things and making bold moves.

Well that's definitely quite the combo once again although I suppose literal dragon wings also goes a way to explain why Jed is suddenly giving things a lot more effort than he usually gives. Well this is definitely going to decide a few things about how this group gets along in the times to come.

“Brandon!” Aaron screamed. “Help!”

Okayy well clearly Jed has managed to just go ahead and confirm all those fears that we were dealing with earlier but now Kassie is just going completely unlike how they were probably expecting those reactions to go. This is going quite interestingly here.

Well it looks like that's quite the question here, once again we're definitely seeing signs that this is going to be quite a momentous occasion here for them although the way Brandon asks that question for everyone to here is definitely raising far more suspicion than its ever going to reduce.

Well at least it sees things are slowly going to come to light here to some degree. There's no telling how much actual truth is getting revealed here given we don't exactly know where Brandon and co have come from either, but at the very least it seems we'll get some sort of explanation.

Well that seems like pretty standard fare on the dragon front although if fire is also a weapon they possess I am really starting to question what on Earth could have happened for them to be so terrified of people. It seems like they should be the ones doing the terrorizing.

Brandon panicked. “No! You can’t!”

Well that's Jed being literally the only person in a book to actually think of calling the police there. That's a lovely detail honestly. Its one of those very easy details that tend to get missed out so often. Of course I'm certain he'll be convinced not to do it, but the thought still counts.

Well Kassie is definitely shaping up to be the kind of person that's going to be a bit of a liability in a really bad situation but once again we've got her playing the mediator and calming the situation down for now. That seems like a good enough balance although they might need one person to be doing that in order to survive all this conflict.

Well it seems that at the very least no one is trying the silly intimidation tactics and they are sticking to the kind of principles that they were showcasing earlier. That's really good to see too. I could see this group actually being a bit more cohesive once they get past all this initial craziness.

Kassie looked at Jed. “Jed…”

Well it looks like once again Kassie and Jed are having very different approaches to how they want to do things. That's probably never going to end up not being entertaining so I'm not complaining. Let's see how this is going to go.

Hmm well that seems like they definitely have a pretty large surplus of rooms. You have to wonder if there's going to be anyone else actually joining this whole family thing anytime soon to throw some wrenches into this plan because I am assuming the only reason there's this much spare room is because they've arrived a bit earlier to this family thing.

“After all the trouble you’ve caused—”

Well Brandon is definitely not the most likeable of characters and it seems poor Aaron ends up taking the brunt of that all the time. I don't know if its intentional but I thought I'd mention because Brandon has the vibes of that traditional grown up responsible character in a group only he's just mostly unlikeable when normally that character is likeable.

Well it looks like they got to those rooms pretty fast there. We're seeing some pretty neat little details so far as far as what kind of rooms these happen to be. It seems at least this division of rooms is going fairly smoothly for the moment.

Oooh okay. Well that's a revelation. When Kassie was going on about having plenty of room I wasn't expecting the room counts to be quite that close but that's going to open up some interesting avenues, because I have no doubt whoever ends up having to share a room us going to make for an interesting combination.

Well for starters did not see Aaron doing that but also that definitely is going to throw quite some conflict into the mix. I'm loving the choice for Jed to have that room, we're most definitely going to be seeing some fun moments with that one at least until I'm sure people actually start getting along.

Hmm well that was resolved a lot quicker than I thought it was going to be. I'm sure once Jed actually gets involved in these arrangements this will get significantly more interesting but for now at least it appears that things are smoothing out as far as the end of this chapter is concerned.

Kassie smiled and nodded.

Oooh okay, it looks the two least secretive and aggressive of the groups are predictably going to get along at least a little bit assuming supper doesn't go horribly wrong. Let's see what more we're going to see as a result of this.

Overall: Overall this is a neat little chapter here. Things slowly starting to take shape. You can see both the conflicts that we're barreling towards and some of the potential friendships that we can expect to see. Its quite a neat little chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Kate

AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Hey there,

this story is getting amazing and more amazing by the second. I am really glued to the story and hope to read more soon. The cooperation between you and Kaia, has led to some pretty fantastic story. I like it.

Let's get this review party started, shall we?

Aaron glanced up. “Yeah. We actually—”

I really like this start. I am very happy Aaron and Ash and Boyfriend Brandon trusted Kassie and Jed (However I would trust Jed and I think he will be a plot twist in the story, but that is for later.)

I have some suggestions on improvement though:

Improved sensory details:
"Brandon wasted no time going to the bathroom to wash off the dog's slobber as soon as they got to the cabin. He stared at his reflection in the mirror, his hair standing on end like a chaotic crown, feeling sticky and damp from the dog's enthusiastic greeting."

Enhanced dialogue and interaction:
"Outside the bathroom in the living room of the cabin, Aaron helped Ashlyn sit down on a plush couch. His eyes sparkled with curiosity as he glanced around the expansive space. 'This place is enormous, Kassie. It's like something out of a fairy tale. How did your parents manage to find it?'"

Deepened conflict or tension:
"Jed stepped toward the blond siblings sitting on the couch, a furrow forming on his brow. 'Did you hear that loud bang just now?' Aaron's gaze shifted uneasily, and he exchanged a quick glance with his sister. 'Yeah, we heard it,' he responded hesitantly. 'But we have no idea what it could be.'"

By incorporating these improvements, your story will become more engaging, descriptive, and emotionally rich, allowing readers to immerse themselves in the characters' world.

Aaron glanced up. “Uh…we’re from…uh….”

Wow. Jed is having suspects.

(* Imma ask Spidey: "Spidey who seems bad Jed or Brandon?" He didnt blink. Eeeppp. I think that is bad news. Both of them, maybe? I don't want Brandon to be bad, please help spidey. Spidey just shrieked. I think that means bad weather is coming. I gotta prepare myself for the storm then.)

Suggestion:

Pace the dialogue and actions: Vary the length and pacing of the dialogue exchanges and actions to create a natural flow. This can prevent the scene from feeling too rushed or stagnant.

Okay. So Kassie and Jed now found out Aaron is some kind of magic being. Interesting development here.

Suggestions for improvement,
Add dialogue and character interaction: Dialogue can bring the characters to life and help convey their personalities and emotions. Enhance the interaction between Aaron, Ashlyn, Kassie, and Jed, allowing their relationships and dynamics to unfold through conversation and actions.

“Brandon!” Aaron screamed. “Help!”

I love the fact that Brandon acts like a big brother for Aaron. Great job one the conflict!

Suggestions:

Increase the stakes by introducing potential consequences or conflicts arising from Aaron's wings. This will create a sense of urgency and keep readers hooked to find out what happens next.

Show instead of telling: Instead of explicitly stating how characters feel or react, depict their emotions and actions through their dialogue and body language. This will make the story more immersive and allow readers to connect with the characters on a deeper level.

Brandon panicked. “No! You can’t!”

Kassie looked at Jed. “Jed…”

I love the conflict you have put in there, it makes the story more lively. I am happy they finally came to some conclusion to help the dragonoids.

Here are some improvements:
Clarity of character actions and reactions: Some of the characters' actions and reactions could be described in more detail to help readers better understand their motivations and emotions. This would add depth to the story and make it more immersive.

Smooth transitions: To improve the transitions between dialogue and actions, it would be helpful to include more transitional phrases or sentences. This would make the story flow more smoothly and prevent abrupt shifts between different scenes or moments.

Inner thoughts and emotions: Incorporating the characters' inner thoughts and emotions can add depth and complexity to the story. It would be beneficial to include their internal struggles, doubts, or fears, especially when making important decisions or facing challenges.

“After all the trouble you’ve caused—”

The way that they are sorting where everyone is sleeping adds a more natural feeling that they are teenagers. Great job!

Possible improvements,
Vary sentence structure: To create a more engaging and dynamic narrative, vary the length and structure of your sentences. Instead of using similar sentence patterns repeatedly, mix it up by incorporating short, concise sentences for impact and longer, descriptive sentences to provide more details and create a rhythm.

Example:
Original: "Kassie smiled faintly. Her eyes moved to the scowl on Jed's face. Deciding to ignore it, Kassie turned back to the guests."

Improved: "A faint smile played on Kassie's lips as her gaze shifted to the scowl etched on Jed's face. Ignoring his hostility, she redirected her attention to the guests before her."

Clarify character motivations: Provide more clarity regarding the characters' motivations and emotions, especially in crucial moments. This will help readers understand their actions and decisions, making them more relatable and believable. Show the characters' inner thoughts, conflicts, or desires through their dialogue and actions, giving readers insight into their perspectives.

Example:
Original: "Brandon nodded. He turned to Aaron. 'You stay here with Ashlyn, and I'll assign rooms.'"

Improved: "Brandon's eyes narrowed as he nodded, a hint of distrust lingering in his gaze. His attention shifted to Aaron, his voice firm with a touch of authority. 'You stay here with Ashlyn,' he instructed, 'while I take care of assigning the rooms.'"

Kassie smiled and nodded.

Character Development: Provide more backstory for the characters. For example, delve into Kassie's past experiences that shaped her optimistic outlook and willingness to help others. Explore Aaron's hunger and his eagerness to contribute to the group, revealing his personal struggles with food insecurity. These details will make the characters more relatable and engaging for the readers.

Dialogue Attribution: Clarify who is speaking in certain instances. For instance, instead of simply saying "Kassie nodded" at the beginning, you could write "Kassie nodded, her face reflecting understanding."

Additionally, when Aaron volunteers to share a room with Jed, you can add a dialogue tag like "Aaron offered, a hopeful smile on his face." These small additions enhance the clarity and flow of the dialogue.

Overall, I must say I am pretty impressed on where the story is going based on the context itself. You could do some improvements if you want to, but that is totally up to you. I tried to help. I really liked this story and you've managed to keep the suspense in the story and me, Piley and Spidey hooked to the story. ;)

Great job! You are amazing! Keep writing! Have a nice day or night!

Dragonoidsy yours,
Rinisha

SkyVibes says...

Hi Rinisha! Thank you for stopping by and reading!

Thank you for pointing out areas that could use some work! It's really helpful!

-Mercedes

AmayaStatham says...

yw.

To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you.
— Tony Dorsett