z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

Hybrids: Chapter 1

by SkyVibes


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

“Are you always just going to be a creep? There’s gotta be a reward out there somewhere for being one.” Sako asked as he watched Yagi through the vent. “You can stare at them all you want, but it won’t change anything. It never does.”

“I’m not a creep.” Yagi replied, merely glancing at Sako’s direction. He had been sitting on his bed staring at the mirror since he had woken up that morning. He was trying to think of another plan to get out.

“Nah, you kinda are. You’ve been staring at them for what? Five hours?”

“I’m not a creep.” He repeated.

“Well then either you’re a creep or you're in a mood.” He said. Yagi could hear him sit down on his bed and rest his back on the wall. “So which is it?”

“Neither.” He snapped.

Sako clicked his tongue, “Ah, so it's a mood. Is it because of today?”

Today Doctor came in to check on them. He did every Tuesday.

“No.”

“Have you eaten breakfast?”

“No. It’s drugged.”

“Probably because you need to try this thing called sleeping.”

Yagi rolled his eyes.

“Has he seen you yet?” Sako asked to break the awkward silence.

“No.”

“Same over here. I think he’s late. Isn’t that weird? He’s never late.”

“Yeah. It’s strange.” Yagi replied flatly. If anything, he was more suspicious than curious like his friend.

After a moment Sakuro gave an annoyed sigh. “Well speak of the devil.” He said, not too enthusiastically.

“Sakuro, many apologies for being late.” Doctor‘s voice replied. Yagi could hear the door close and lock behind him. “Have you taken your morning medication?”

Yagi smirked. He could successfully bet that his friend hadn’t. Amused, he rested his head back and listened in to the conversation echoing through the vent.

Sako chuckled nervously, “For the sake of your sanity, my answer is yes.”

“Sakuro! I told you; you must take it!”

“But it’s so gross! Plus, it makes me super tired too. You guys could have at least flavored that stuff.” Sako complained.

Yagi smiled as he could imagine the disgusted look on Sako’s face.

“I’ll lower the dosage but, Sakuro, you must take it. Every day. No matter how gross it may taste. Do you really want to be in lots of pain? The medicine prevents that.”

Yagi could practically hear Sako’s scowl.

“If it means I don’t have to drink it, yeah I don’t mind,” Sako growled.

Yagi laughed and then realized he shouldn’t have. They slid a thing over the vent making it now impossible to hear Sako. He scowled as he looked at the mirror, “Since when is it a crime to laugh, jerks?”

Of course, no one answered. Silence was their only reply. Yagi scoffed. They were probably rolling their filthy eyes at him and laughing themselves towards Yagi’s misery.

Thirty minutes later Doctor came in with the Nurse right behind him. Easily triggered by the lack of sleep, Yagi growled at him, “What do you want?”

Doctor brushed off the hostile tone. He smiled warmly and pulled a chair from the table, sitting it down in front of Yagi’s bed. “How are you feeling? I heard that you haven’t been eating, sleeping, or drinking much.” He sat down and rested a leg over the other.

Yagi stared him in the eyes. Both their blue eyes met. “I feel fine. I’m not thirsty or hungry and I’m not tired. You’re wasting your time here. You might as well leave.” He answered. Still, as he looked him in the eyes he hated that the eyes staring back at him were obviously professionally concerned.

A nurse gently took his arm to see his blood pressure, but he pulled away from her. She clicked her tongue and grabbed his arm again but paused. She ran a gentle finger on the inside of his elbow and frowned. “Sir, look how dehydrated he is. You can’t see his veins. ”

“I’m not dehydrated. I’m not thirsty.” Yagi told her. He looked at Doctor’s blue eyes. “I’m not.”

Doctor came over anyway, “Yagi,” He started in a calm but scolding voice, “you can’t tell me you’re not thirsty if you look like this. When was the last time you had water?” He pulled out a pair of circular glasses and put them on as he looked at one arm and then the other.

Two days ago. It’s when he figured out his food and water was drugged. He had taken one sip and then later felt incredibly tired. He was thirsty. He would die for a drink. “Looks can be deceiving.” He simply told Doctor. Behind the lie, Yagi had occasionally been drinking water from the bathroom sink but he had to limit himself so the people behind the mirror wouldn’t become suspicious.

“So can words.” He countered. “I want you to drink a glass of water.” He turned to Nurse, “Go get him some please.”

“I’m not thirsty.” He said as he watched Nurse leave the room. He looked back at Doctor. “I’m not.” He repeated.

Doctor gave him a look, “I’ll force it down your throat if need be.”

“I’ll bite you first.” He warned.

Doctor put his clipboard down and sat on the bed next to Yagi. His blue concerned eyes met Yagi’s. He asked in a low tone, “What’s wrong? You can trust me, you know that. Talk to me.”

Yagi hesitated. Doctor was right. He wasn’t like the one before him that was cruel and hurt them. Forcing pills down their throats and not caring that they were human. Doctor wasn’t like that. He was more patient and kinder and liked conversation. He genuinely cared for the people in the facility. But Yagi didn’t trust him fully just yet. Sure it had been two years now, but what if this was just an act? Yagi shook his head. “Nothing is wrong.” He looked away from Doctor and crossed his arms.

Doctor leaned forward, “Are you worried someone will try to drug you?”

He shook his head. A lie.

“Are you scared to sleep?”

“No.” Another lie. Whenever he slept it wasn’t peaceful.

“Yagi, there is something wrong. You need to tell me what it is. You don’t want to end up so bad that I have to move you somewhere away from Sakuro so I can keep a close eye on you.”

Nurse walked in with a tall glass of water, handed it to Doctor, and then left to get more water in a pitcher. He held it out to Yagi, “At least drink half and I’ll leave you be.”

He shook his head, “No.”

Why?” He took a sip, “Look, even I drank from it. It’s not poisoned or drugged, see?”

“No, but now it’s contaminated.” He snapped.

Doctor glared at him, “Drink or I’ll force you to.” He held it close to Yagi’s lips.

Yagi pushed it away. “No.”

He sat the glass down. “Then give me a real answer.” He said sternly.

Yagi flinched back and lowered his eyes. Doctor never had that tone with him. “Don’t think I won’t do what it takes to secure your health, Yagi,” Doctor told him.

Yagi lifted his eyes searching if this was fake but it was real. Doctor would really force him to drink.

Yagi scoffed and looked away, “Fine. Yeah, you’re right. I think they are trying to drug me and I don’t want to sleep.”

“Why don’t you want to sleep? Aren’t you tired?”

He nodded and frowned. He looked down at the bed and messed with a loose thread on his blanket, “Yeah but I also know they’ll keep me under and lock me to the bed for when I do wake up.”

“Because it’s for the best. How about I make a deal with you?”

Yagi glanced up at him and back to the blanket. “What?”

“How about I give you something to drink of your choice, it’ll be drugged. But you’ll only be asleep for five hours. After that for dinner, I’ll let you choose what you want to eat, drug-free.”

Yagi frowned, “You’ll lock me down.”

“If we do, we’ll release you.” Doctor placed a hand on his chest to exaggerate the following statement. “I will personally release you.”

Yagi thought for a second before nodding and drinking the not drugged water and then another full cup of water that was drugged. He didn’t care what drink choice he had. He just wanted this to be over.

When he woke up he was restrained to the bed. But to his word, Doctor came and let him go. For dinner, Yagi asked for some potatoes, chicken, and peas, a treat considering their usual bland meals. Doctor kept his word there too.

When he left the room, Yagi sat silently as he ate the hot food and downed another cup of water. Maybe he actually could trust him.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 2027
Reviews: 40

Donate
Stickied -- Mon May 22, 2023 3:03 pm
SkyVibes says...



Heya! If you would like to see pictures of Sako and Yagi, please go to my wall!!
I hope you are enjoying Hybrids!!!

-Mercedes




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 2027
Reviews: 40

Donate
Mon May 22, 2023 3:03 pm
SkyVibes says...



Heya! If you would like to see pictures of Sako and Yagi, please go to my wall!!
I hope you are enjoying Hybrids!!!

-Mercedes




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 9867
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 pm
Kaia wrote a review...



Hi, Mercedes!
First off, great chapter. I like how they're short so when I only got a couple of minutes I can squeeze one in. :)

The conflict between Yagi and the Doctor is quite intriguing. Yagi knows that there's some kind of strange business going on behind the curtain, but it is implied that he's not quite sure what it is.

Doctor sounds nice, but obviously, he knows some deep, dark secret that he's not letting on. Something Yagi really desires to know. Perhaps it is for Yagi's protection that Doctor keeps all the secrets. It is unstated. A mystery to be revealed in the coming chapters, I suppose. ;)

Here are my nitpicks:
“Are you always just going to be a creep? There’s gotta be a reward out there for being one.” Sako asked....

Here, end the the dialogue tag with a comma like this: "There's gotta be a reward out there for being one," Sako asked.

Same thing here and in a few other places. I'd just go through the chapter really quickly and fix that. It shouldn't take long. “I’m not a creep.” Yagi replied, merely glancing at Sako’s direction.

“Well then either you’re a creep or you're in a mood.” He said. (Same thing here, and also, don't capitalize "he")

"He did every Tuesday. To give them their medications and to make sure they were healthy."
Technically, that's a fragment. Try adding the two sentences together. ;)

My favorite parts...
“Probably because you need to try this thing called sleeping.” His friend said in a know-it-all tone.

“No, but now it’s contaminated.”

Overall, excellent job. I haven't chosen my favorite between the two main characters yet. I really like Sako's sarcastic way of cheering up Yagi, and Yagi's bitter sarcasm back to Doctor. Yagi's reactions are entirely understandable and relatable. Good character development there!

Have a great Sunday!
-Kaia




User avatar
963 Reviews


Points: 187
Reviews: 963

Donate
Fri May 19, 2023 7:52 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



The doctor seems trustworthy for now. Hopefully he’ll stay trustworthy and help Yagi escape. Then Yagi could help Sako escape. I don’t know if the doctor is pretending or not. Guess I’ll have to find out. Is there even another world out there? Is it in ruins? Maybe it’s at a war that only the hybrids can fix. Or under an unfair ruling system…

I hope that you will have a wonderful day/night.




SkyVibes says...


I'm glad to see the book is already giving you questions! I hope you continue to keep reading Hybrids to see what happens next!

-Mercedes



User avatar
4095 Reviews


Points: 253238
Reviews: 4095

Donate
Fri May 19, 2023 12:34 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Well this is quite the first chapter here. Loving the vibes that we're already getting. The actual situation here and the way that everyone is living her continues on nicely from what we saw in the introduction and it seems right away we've got something different happening and that little plot starting to take shape here. I'm loving the direction that's headed so far.

Anyway let's get right to it,

“Are you always just going to be a creep? There’s gotta be a reward out there for being one.” Sako asked Yagi as he watched him through the vent. “You can stare at them all you want, but it won’t change anything.”

“I’m not a creep.” Yagi replied, merely glancing at Sako’s direction. He had been sitting on his bed staring at the mirror since he had woken up that morning.

“You kinda are. You’ve been staring at them for five hours.”

“I am not a creep.”

“Well then either you’re a creep or you're in a mood.” He said. Yagi could hear him sit down on his bed and rest his back on the wall. “So which is it?”


Well that's quite the set of accusations to start us off in this first chapter here. Knowing what we know of their relationship from the previous chapter, it seems like its going to be simply just some friendly teasing going on there but that did sound ever so slightly serious there for a moment.

“Neither.” He snapped.

Sako clicked his tongue, “So it's a mood. Is it because of today?”

Today Doctor came in to check on them. He did every Tuesday. To give them their medications and to make sure they were healthy.

“No. It's not that.”

“Have you eaten breakfast?” Sako guessed.

“No. It’s drugged.”

“Probably because you need to try this thing called sleeping.” His friend said in a know-it-all tone.

Yagi rolled his eyes.

“Has he seen you yet?” Sako asked to break the silence.


Well this is turning out to be quite the little bit of banter here and I'm starting to love this already. It seems the conditions they happen to be living in hasn't done anything to prevent the teasing nature of really close friendships and we're seeing some very funny lines tossed back and forth.

“No.”

“Same over here. I think he’s late. Isn’t that weird? He’s never late.”

“Yeah. It’s strange.” Yagi replied flatly.

“Well speak of the devil.” Sako suddenly said, not too enthusiastically.

“Sakuro, apologies for being late.” Doctor‘s voice told him, “Have you taken your morning medication?”

“For the sake of your sanity, my answer is yes.”

“Sakuro! I told you, you have to take it!”

“But it’s so gross! Plus it makes me really tired too.”

“I’ll try to give you a lighter dosage but, Sakuro, you must take it. Every day. No matter how gross it may taste.”


Well this is immediately quite interesting. I wasn't expecting our doctor's here to be quite so polite especially when it comes to talking about something that the doctor clearly seems to have some sort of an annoyance with. Despite these conditions not being the most humane, that's an interesting detail and I want to see if this is simply for this doctor or for everyone involved because that is not the idea I got from earlier depictions.

Yagi could practically hear Sako’s scowl. He laughed and then realized he shouldn’t have. They slid a thing over the vent making it impossible to hear Sako. He scowled as he looked at the mirror, “Since when is it a crime to laugh, jerks?” He spat.

Of course no one answered.

Thirty minutes later Doctor came in with the Nurse right behind him. Yagi growled at him, “What now? I'm perfectly fine. You can go. You were here yesterday to come see me.”

“How are you feeling? I heard that you haven’t been eating, sleeping, or drinking much.”

“I feel fine. I’m not thirsty or hungry and I’m not tired.” He answered.


Well that's quite the scene that's developing there once again. Yagi is really laying into everyone and holding nothing back here. It seems things are coming to a bit of a head with his choice in not eating and drinking too but the doctor and now the nurse both once again appear to be pretty calm and polite much like you'd expect a normal nurse and a doctor to be when faced with a more hostile patient.

Nurse gently took his arm to see his blood pressure and then stopped. She ran a finger on the inside of his elbow and frowned. “Doctor, look how dehydrated he is. You can’t see his veins.”

“I’m not dehydrated. I’m not thirsty.” Yagi told her. He looked at Doctor’s blue eyes. “I’m not.” He repeated firmly

Doctor came over anyway, “Yagi,” He started in a scolding voice, “you can’t tell me you’re not thirsty if you look like this. When was the last time you had water?”

Two days ago. It’s when he figured out his food and water was drugged. He had taken one sip and then later felt incredibly tired. He actually was thirsty. He would die for a drink. “Looks can be deceiving.” He simply told Doctor.


Well it looks like the Doctor has finally lost patience there and we're starting to a bit more of a stern outlook on that one. Although judging from the response it doesn't feel like a slightly sterner message is going to have an actual effect on getting Yagi to do anything.

“So can words.” He countered. “I want you to drink a glass of water.” He turned to Nurse, “Go get him some please.”

“I’m not thirsty.”

Doctor gave him a look, “I’ll force it down your throat if need be.”

“I’ll bite you first.” He warned.

Doctor put his clipboard down and sat on the bed next to Yagi. His blue concerned eyes met Yagi’s. He asked in a low tone, “What’s wrong? You can trust me, you know that. Talk to me.”


Well it seems the Doctor has realized the scolding plan isn't going to work either and is back to the more polite approach. This is going to be very interesting to see especially in trying to determine if the Doctor is simply playing a part and trying to get a job done or if there's genuine care here.

Yagi hesitated. Doctor was right. He wasn’t like the one before him that was cruel and hurt them. Doctor was more patient and kind and liked a conversation. But Yagi didn’t trust him fully just yet. Sure it had been four years now, but what if this was just an act? Yagi shook his head. “I don’t want anything.”

“Are you worried someone will try to drug you?”

He shook his head. A lie.

“Are you scared to sleep?”

“No.” Another lie. Whenever he slept it wasn’t peaceful.

“Yagi, there is something wrong. You need to tell me what it is. You don’t want to end up so bad that I have to move you somewhere so I can keep a close eye on you.”


Well that does seem like it would explain a lot in terms of Yagi's current attitude to everything and for the moment the Doctor appears to be fairly genuine. Its hard to detect too much in the form of actual deception hiding within those words although I suppose we really can't judge much unless we get a peek into the Doctor's head at some point.

Nurse walked in with a tall glass of water, handed it to Doctor and then left to get more in a pitcher. He held it out to Yagi, “At least drink half and I’ll leave you be.”

He shook his head, “No.”

“Why?” He took a sip, “Look, even I drank from it. It’s not poisoned or drugged, see?”

“No, but now it’s contaminated.”

Doctor glared at him, “Drink or I’ll force you too.”

“No.”

“Give me a real answer.” He said sternly.


Well that came down to a more unpleasant note after all. It seems that was unavoidable given quite how resistant Yagi had been. That's very interesting to explore alongside the way this Doctor is presented as having been somewhat the good person in a long line of bad.

Yagi flinched back. Doctor never had that tone with him. He looked Doctor in the eye, searching if this was fake but it was real. Doctor would really force him to drink.

Yagi scoffed and looked away, “Fine. Yeah, you’re right. I think they are trying to drug me and I don’t want to sleep.”

“Why don’t you want to sleep? Aren’t you tired?”

He nodded and frowned. He looked down at the bed and messed with a loose thread on his blanket, “Yeah but I know they’ll keep me under and lock me to the bed.”

“Because it’s for the best. How about I make a deal with you?”

Yagi glanced up at him and back to the blanket. “What?”


Well it seems like that put everything out into the open and well you can see a little bit of how the Doctor actually think too through this little deal that the Doctor is about to strike. It definitely spices things up a bit for this little argument to have spread out for quite this long.

“How about I give you something to drink of your choice, it’ll be drugged. But you’ll only be asleep for five hours. After that for dinner, I’ll let you choose what you want to eat, drug free.”

Yagi frowned, “You’ll lock me down.”

“We’ll release you. I will personally release you.”

Yagi nodded and drank the not drugged water and then another full cup of water that was drugged.

When he woke up he was restrained to the bed. But to his word, Doctor came and let him go. For dinner Yagi asked for some potatoes, chicken, and peas. Doctor kept his word there too.

Maybe he actually could trust him.


Hmm well that bit of negotiating worked out well for Yagi for the moment or at the very least it appeared that way. There's not telling exactly how this is going just yet. For all we know this entire thing was a part of what the Doctor wanted and he happens to just be a great actor.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall I think you've gone and done a great job there in terms of building up this first chapter here. We've got a decent introduction to these characters and the situations they are in alongside also getting a decent look at something of a plot shaping up. The ending is not exactly cliffhanger but it does enough that at least I find myself wanting to read more here.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Kate




SkyVibes says...


Heya! Thank you for stopping by and reading Hybrids! And commenting too!

Thank you for pointing out that the first accusation didn't sound too much like teasing. I will go back and edit it to see more to be friendly teasing which it should be.
I know this chapter doesn't exactly end in a cliffhanger but hopefully if you continue to read Hybrids the chapters will have those ;)

-Mercedes



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 9805
Reviews: 54

Donate
Thu May 18, 2023 1:45 pm
MerleBlackbird wrote a review...



Hahaha well now I think I understand the story a lot better (surprise, surprise) so the two characters Yagi and Sako seem to be captives/patients of some kind. Judging from what I know from the second chapter, I would speculate they're both captives and patience - likely due to some sort of supernatural/fantastical traits of theirs (I'm taking clues from the title also.) I rather like that you don't tell the reader everything up front - it makes for more intriguing story, a mystery you might say. I also wanted to mention, because I forgot to mention it in my previous review, that I think short chapters are great for this platform. In fact if you intend to write longer chapters later, you might consider purposefully breaking them down into shorter segments. I know there's a point cost system on this platform, which makes shorter chapters a bit of a bear to post, but shorter pieces keep the reader engaged better (generally) and can allow for more in depth review by readers! Of course, do what you feel is best! :-)




SkyVibes says...


It took me a sec to understand by what you were meaning when you started your comment but I think I understand now. Did you start on the wrong chapter on accident? That can really set the book off course lol

I'm really glad you think the short chapters are good. That helps me feel less self conscious about it XD

Thank you for reading!!





Yeah, hahaha I was exploring the greeeeeeen room :) :)




The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin