Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Technology

why i chose the gun

by Mayureshb

WHY I CHOSE THE GUN

When I look around, I see people who want to make a contribution to society,

I see people who want to make a better world,by doing ground breaking scientific work ,by creating impressive artworks,by writing articles etc.and all have chosen their own instruments to fulfil this mission of creating a better world.some chose microscope,some chose painting,others chose the pen.but I made a different choice,I did not chose to take up the pen,brush or camera,I chose the gun,it may feel uneasy and scary,but as a matter of fact if you have never been close to a gun it means your nation is not at war.but in many nations people are confronted with guns and are oppressed by warlords,terrorists and criminals.weapons such as a gun can do a lot of harm. but why am I supporting it?

Whenever a nation is invaded by an enemy when all diplomacy fails,brute force is the last resort. When soldiers who left safety of their own house and risked their lives to liberate a free country and people they didn’t even know.it was then I decided that I would chose the gun,out of respect to those who came to liberate a nation,from the awareness that sometimes only the gun can stand between good and evil and that is why I took up the gun.not to shoot,not to hurt,not to destroy but to stop those who would do evil,to defend democratic values,to stand up for the freedom that we have,to express ideas of how we can make the world a better place.

Gun is not an instrument to boast of but an instrument of peace and stability.it may sound aggressive, but guns are the only reason wars between devoloped countries are no longer common,which shows we have attained peace.

But why has violence reduced,according to steven pinser,if a nation has monopoly of violence well under control has peace,it removes arms race between hostile groups.withholding or controlling violence becomes more profitable then starting a war.non-violence increases trade which further ehances exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding which makes people no longer create violence.

It is the gun which has reduced factors of war giving an idea of choosing a gun to make the world a better place.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 pm
Begstita1 says...

I quite understood why you preferenced gun over other alternatives. The significances of gun is an image of the First and Second World War. But the tragedy of using gun to solve a problem is greater than the attendant benefit.

Your aim of using it may quite be different with the aim of the opponent. While you may be aiming at the air, he might probably be aiming at you.

The inevitable fact is that "gun is never a sustainable means of development". Evidences of this are many. We can use the example of America, China, North Korea crave of possessing sophisticated weapons for no reason rather than achieving a political end.

Mayureshb says...

completely agree with you, it was just a thought that came up my mind. but i'll make sure i keep my next article properly biased

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 pm
Begstita1 says...

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 pm
Begstita1 says...

Carlymillie wrote a review...

Carly here:

As much as I'd like to Agree with this, I honestly do not agree. I agree with where you say everyone has their own opinion on how to make the world a better place, but a comment you made, actually made me feel like this option is not suppose to be one. But that's not part of the review anyway. So here goes:

First, is this a story? with a first person narrative? because that's what it sounded more like, I felt like I was reading the prologue to a novel, and just waiting fro the writer to go into the first chapter and begin to dive into details. Speaking of details, there was none.
All you said were general knowledge. I'd like if you went into proper research, read other people's work, take a thing or two from it, and enrich your own work.

You should also try to study article writing. There a lot of books tat can help on that, as well as sites. You can also get help from the research forum on here, for a few persons to assist in knowing the properties f an article and how to incorporate them ( I do same too). But I can suggest something to you.

first, this sounded like a prologue to a story. More like a Memoir, I think (my opinion) it would be a nice idea if you could expand this into a book, novel, short story or whatever. You can now go into details as at what led you to this conclusion, that a gun us your final run-to in times of troubles, because definitely I think the is a reason why you decided to choose this part.

Secondly, you can still keep up with it as article, but nurture it to be more argumentative. your title read "why I choose the gun" which sincerely pulled me in, but as I read through, I didn't see why you choose it..it felt like you were ranting about the problems of the world and how you wish you could solve them your way.

Like a reviewer before me said, this piece is a child, feed it, with the appropriate nutrients, and it will blossom.
Thanks.

Mayureshb says...

I still pretty much a newbie to this whole writing thing, but I'll seriously put more effort on whatever next I write. thanks for the valuable review.

IAmthePhoenix wrote a review...

A bold position on a controversial topic. Your essay is decent. Let's try to to make it great.

Your ideas are decent. That's all that I'll say on that. Personally, I disagree with what you're saying, but that doesn't belong in a review. I want to agree with you. I truly do. I want to read your essay and stop and think and ponder my beliefs. But your support for your position is simplistic and it seems ill-informed. Do some research. Have a conversation with someone that disagrees. Fortify your beliefs with cold-hard facts and then come back and turn some heads.

Speaking of turning heads, your grammar and spacing need some work. I don't normally comment on English conventions, but it's something that definitely needs work. Was this a rant? It seems like it. Proper nouns should be capitalized. Ideas should be divided off by a period and not just strung together into a run-on sentence. Commas are not interchangeable with periods. These are simple things. I don't know if you just don't know, didn't care, or weren't paying attention, but it detracts significantly from your position that you can't partition your sentences properly. It makes you seem uneducated and your ideas seem weaker.

What you have here is a newborn baby. It needs someone to feed it, to clothe and shelter it, and it can't defend itself. You need to develop this child. You need to give it more information, and help it stand, walk, and run because if you send this baby out into the world, it will be destroyed and it will never grow and experience its full potential. But if you really want to make your essays better, then keep writing. Always, always, keep writing!

Mayureshb says...

I will make sure of having it a proofriding. thank you for your review

KiraThePotatoChip wrote a review...

Hello, Kira here for a review. You give a really good story that speaks a very different side to what we most associate such a weapon for undoing. Often weapons signify violence, war, the unraveling of peace. But you also are correct with this publishment. To undo war and bring back peace we have to fight with the very weapons threatening the ideals we stand for. Besides your story speaking well of what I feel is your soul, I think this is a good introduction to writing on this website.

The only real problem I can bring up here is that the spelling errors and grammatical mistakes really stick out, I believe some fellow users have directed you with revising the piece already, but before you publish your next piece,Hello, Kira here for a review. You give a really good story that speaks a very different side to what we most associate such a weapon for undoing. Often weapons signify violence, war, the unraveling of peace. But you also are correct with this publishment. To undo war and bring back peace we have to fight with the very weapons threatening the ideals we stand for. Besides your story speaking well of what I feel is your soul, I think this is a good introduction to writing on this website.

The only real problem I can bring up here is that the spelling errors and grammatical mistakes really stick out, I believe some fellow users have directed you with revising the piece already, but before you publish your next piece, feel free to ask other users to help proofread and assist with the writing process if you're comfortable with that sort of thing!

Mayureshb says...

a classy technique to gain publishing points right??....copy and paste the whole thing again. such a rookie thing u did, anyways thanks

Yikes, that was a complete messup on my part! I'm not sure what caused this to happen, but I apologize deeply. It was not an attempt to get more points, I'm not even sure how this even happened :)

Mayureshb says...

take it easy mate, nothing to be concerned about. we all do mistakes. cheers!!!

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, Mayureshb. I had a few thoughts as I read this...

,I did not chose to take up the pen,brush or camera
These sentences are really effective and well-written, but camera doesn't fit. Pen and brush reference things you've already said, camera doesn't. I think it ought to be microscope, if you follow your pattern.

but to stop those who would do evil,to defend democratic values,to stand up for the freedom that we have,to express ideas of how we can make the world a better place.
You expressed your reasons well. I have to agree with you, guns aren't bad. It's the people who use them who are good or bad, and guns can definitely stop evil just as much as they can be evil.

which shows we have attained peace.
I would argue that no place has really attained 'peace'. But I guess it's all in retrospect of where you come from and what you've experienced.

The one thing to really work on is grammar, but I think Aley has covered that. Your arguments are strong, though, and this piece is actually poetic in a way. I liked it, and I think you should keep writing more like this. Expand on your ideas, give more examples and references to real events. Thanks for sharing.

Mayureshb says...

i think i got a little lost there. Since i was all time busy balancing the aspects of gun so that it dosen't sound that harsh.thanks for your review

Tuckster wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review :)

Aley already mentioned grammar, but I wanted to repeat what she said for emphasis. Although grammar certainly isn't a super big concern of mine, it can sometimes disrupt the story and it gets a little annoying. I have picked up real, published books where the grammar combined with the poor writing style were so poor I didn't read it. Now, that isn't the case here because I'm interested in what you have to say, but do be aware that it's quite possible, even likely, that somebody might have clicked on this work and then decided not to review because they couldn't get over the grammar and writing issues.

I did like how you mentioned that violence should be a last resort, which I definitely agree with. We should always use diplomatic methods until there is absolutely no way it should work, and be willing to sacrifice some things so that we can save innocent lives from being lost. But sometimes, that's just not enough, and war is a last resort.

guns are the only reason wars between devoloped countries are no longer common,which shows we have attained peace.
This isn't backed by any other evidence, and it's a very bold statement to make. I don't think that a lack of frequent wars means that we have attained peace, because even though there are fewer wars than there have been in past years (although in the Middle East, there are still lots of wars, so I would be careful of making even that claim), relationships are tense between many countries, and I wouldn't say that life in even America is peaceful.

I also wanted to point out that although you might not use guns for just the purposes of violent rampages and killing sprees, you are still shooting and killing people. That is still the purpose of a gun, even if the person you are shooting is a bad guy who is a direct threat to one or more people. It would be a better argument to say, "You're right, guns are used to kill people, but the people that are killed are direct threats to the safety of one or more people, and that's why it's morally okay to kill them."

So overall, I liked the point you were making here. You summarized it very succinctly and didn't spend a lot of time on empty phrases and cut right to the chase, which I prefer over a bunch of fluff that dilutes the meaning of the essay. Your grammar and formatting could use some work, but that's a more minor aspect. You have a strong basis for your argument, but be careful that all the claims you are making can be backed with evidence. Hopefully my review was helpful, and if you need anything, let me know and I'll try and help you find an answer!

Best wishes,
MJ

Mayureshb says...

I will try to collect facts next time onwards, i think that was making it bit blank. I will make sure of your points when i write again.
thanks for the review

Aley wrote a review...

Hello Mayureshb,

I have a few quick comments about your piece and then I'll leave you alone. First off, I'd like to say that I appreciate your honesty here. I think you are doing a good job writing from your heart and explaining your opinions that make it feel like you really mean what you say. I think you're doing this because you're explaining the counters to the other points, and going through to explain why you picked the gun rather than jumping over that important piece of information. The way you set up this essay is good.

The problems I'm seeing are mostly with grammar, and because of that, I've actually brought along a helper today! The Great Grammar Compendium

Now, I'm not just going to throw the book on grammar at you and expect you to get everything done on your own, no, that's not how I am. Instead, I'm going to give you one specific thing and suggestions for how you might be able to fix your current habits to form new ones, better ones!

This habit I'm seeing is not putting a space after your end punctuation, such as "we have,to express" and so on and so forth. Traditionally, there is a space there. Here's a direct link to the Great Grammar Comma Section The Great Grammar Compendium

Now then, let me explain what I'm seeing. You need a space after punctuation which ends sentences, parts of sentences, or omits text. This means periods, end quotations, question marks, exclamation points, commas, colons, and semi-colons.

You might be forgetting to put them in if you use a device which typically automatically puts in spaces for you, so I would suggest that you take the "auto space" features off of any devices on which you frequently type so that you get used to typing the space On Your Own. That will make it muscle memory that you need the space, and then you won't forget it so often. The same thing with "auto capitals" because you're also forgetting to make the first word in your sentences capitalized.

Now, for things that you've already written, there's usually a "find and replace" tool you can use to replace "," with ", " or to put a space after a comma. I know it might be hard to see. You can also replace "." with ". " for the same reason.

If you have questions about grammar, the tool I've given you via link, or just want to chat, feel free to get in touch.

-Aley

The important thing is never to stop questioning.
— Albert Einstein