z

Young Writers Society


12+

Blown Away

by Mari1901


Why was I so stubborn? I schooled my eyes back into the pavement, so that I could pretend the sky wasn’t there. Like that helped.

I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel and hummed to myself. The radio would have done a better job at distracting me, but there was only static. Of course.

I was so close now. In the speed that I normally travelled, I could reach my house in ten minutes—fifteen tops. But now I was crawling, and everything was rushing besides me. I had thought I’d be able to make it home before the storm broke. I had been delusional.

And, God, this was not a normal storm either.

Had I been completely sober when I decided to hit the road? I had drank enough for the intoxication to linger in my system. But, ugh. I shuddered. Staying in the house of the party for one more second, was out of the question. (At least at the time. Now I have gained some perspective.)

I had been so drunk I passed out. Or at least, I hoped I had merely passed out. My stomach knotted.

I had woken up today, and I found myself tangled with a woman. And, well, no. I had a boyfriend—a boyfriend—and I didn’t like girls. Or at least I had firmly thought so until this morning.

When I climbed out of bed, she didn’t steer. She just took a deep breath and switched to her other side. Why did that disappoint me?

Still, I was not disappointed enough to shake her awake and ask her what exactly had happened yesterday. I turned away and did my scape.

The sky had already been grey when I started driving, but now it was an angry purple. Everyone smart was already sheltered.

Not too long, and I will be too. Just a few miles and I would veer off the highway. After that, it wouldn’t be more than five minutes. Five minutes. How could that sound like an eternity? I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

My eyes peeked down to my phone. It was quietly resting on the passenger seat. I worried my bottom lip in my teeth. Had Jarred tried to call me? I mean, he better have. We had argued yesterday, but if he hadn’t tried to make contact—as futile as it would be in this weather—he’d be in serious trouble.

Out of nowhere, an object smashed against my window. A choked scream escaped my throat, and I jerked the steering wheel to the left. When I realized how stupid my kneejerk reaction had been, I tried to straighten my car in the lane. It skidded to the other side and my foot smashed against the break.

My head was propelled forward and the car spun. I had been going slowly, so apart from the nasty burse in my forehead, nothing had happened.

Nothing had happened, but anything could.

I looked at the palm trees. They swung and bent when the wind tried to run through them. It seemed like they were about to snap. Like twigs. I couldn’t keep driving like this. I would be blown away!

My breathing turned ragged. Shallow humphs that did nothing to oxygenate me. My chest clenched. No! I refused to slip into a panic attack right now. My car was across two lanes of the highway, for crying it out loud! That would make the storm—hurricane?—the second of my most pressing worries.

I started to feel like I was trapped in my own mind, and my skin became tighter. The situation was hopeless. I would die. Die!

Oh, no, no, no way. Not now. I took a deep breath and held it till my lungs started to protest. I released it though my mouth, and repeated the process to restart my breathing. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. I chanted in my minds. Rainbows, lollipops, and beautiful shit. I gave myself another minute to collect myself before driving again.

I was not well, but I was better.

I clenched the wheel so that my fingers wouldn’t tremble and made a U-turn. Granted, it was not a good plan, but it was better than trying to reach my house. Within two minutes I was in the gas station and proceeded to jump out of the car.

The rain drenched my dress and droplets of water accumulated in my lashes. I had to blink a few times to be able to see, but when my vision cleared, I halted on my tracks. I had planned on bagging at the door of the adjoining convenience store. Maybe someone was there. Maybe they had a basement. A basement. The word made me sigh with longing. The wind blew against my cheek and made it burn.

And the windows rattled.

The windows that took two entire walls from the establishment. Instead of taking one more step toward it, I made a beeline to the bathrooms.

I thanked God I already knew where they were as I rushed towards the black metal door—my heels splashing against the endless puddles of water. I fumbled with the latch—my trembling fingers hindering the process—but I made it inside.

I slammed the door shut behind me.

I am a mess! I was surprised when I caught my reflection in the dirty mirror. My eyes were red and had nasty shadows under them. My hair was soaked and it matted down onto my scalp and neck. My short dress clung to my skin and water ran down my thighs. How was I this wet? I didn’t spend more than two minutes outside.

I took a deep breath, massaged my forehead, and let my mind raced. I needed to get a better shelter. I thought back to the store—who would be there, anyway? Then the road. I tried to visualize the neighboring buildings. I grunted in frustration. Thiswould have to do.

A shattering sound made my head snap up. The high window broke into dozens of pieces that feel forward. I scurried backwards and hit my head against a corner. “Ow!” I touched the back of my head and gingerly inspected where I had hit myself. It was sore, but this wouldn’t kill me.

The glass had landed around the toilet—far enough that I was left unharmed. It was a small window, so that helped too. Maybe it was better to have it off the way now, right?

I rested my head against the wall and closed my eyes. I slid until my ass hit the ground and tried to convince myself the floor wasn’t sticky. As the long as the walls held steady, nothing bad would happen. I hugged my legs to my chest.

It was only a storm after all, not a tornado, or something. Just rain. And lightings. Hot strikes of electricity. I was in a gas station.

Fear fisted my throat. I felt like I was choking. What were the chances of one hitting this place, anyway? I hid my head in my knees.

Outside, the wind seemed to violently knock against the door.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



You have a very commendable writing style; I like the sort of euphoric emotion that your narrative contains, it’s very pleasing to read. You’re also very skilled at creating drama in a story. The problem here was that it felt rather directionless. I had no idea what was happening, where the main character was headed in this car, or where the story took place in general. I think you neglected a lot of locational description that your story would definitely benefit from; always take a moment to have the character look at their surroundings. One moment, the character is drunk, then the next moment, they’re asleep in bed, then we’re back; I found it a rather confusing and bewildering flashback that wasn’t clear enough. You did at least once, but I’d like to see you do it more. Again, it’s well written, but it doesn’t seem like much happens at all; the main character is drunk, goes driving in a storm…you’d think the plot would be to be the horror that the main character might die, and I suppose that’s where you tried to head towards the mid-portion, but it was so fast that I didn’t quite feel the emotion, which is upsetting because otherwise this is a very emotionally strong piece.
This just seems you started typing without much prior planning or in terms of plot. But I like the way you write; there’s a lot of emotion and power behind just how the character is feeling. I hope you share more writing in the future, thanks for uploading.




Mari1901 says...


You are absolutely right. I will be more careful next time an try to make stronger stories. Thanks for the feedback.



tigeraye says...


i wouldnt call this story weak at all, just not that organized



User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 18486
Reviews: 522

Donate
Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 pm
Lavvie wrote a review...



Hi Mari!

I'm a little uncertain about this story for one reason: I don't get the sense that it has a whole lot of substance and I don't understand the direction you're going with this. There are little hints of greater problems for your main character, but you barely touch on them in a sentence or two at the very beginning of the piece. I wonder if you plan to make this into something bigger and more in-depth, because right now it's just about a girl with a few issues stuck in a toilet during a hurricane. Obviously, I can see the potential that this unfortunate situation holds, but you haven't yet tapped into that. It would be nice if you could flesh everything out a bit more. :)

I also felt that wording was sometimes awkward. There were often missing words or words that didn't make sense somewhere or expressions that were warped so that they didn't actually function well anymore. This did hinder the narration a bit because after the fifth or sixth time, it became bothersome for myself as the reader. A good way to rectify these little mistakes is by proofreading and/or reading the story out loud. Here are a few that I picked up on:

I turned away and did my scape


First, a scape is a segment of an insect's antenna. You mean 'escape'. Second, 'to do an escape' is a bit of an odd expression (and there are many more of these odd expressions throughout your story - be mindful). Consider just 'escaped'.

I would veer off the highway


This is when your protagonist is talking of taking a turn off the highway. 'To veer' implies falling off the highway, like going into the ditch, as she does later. I suggest 'to turn off the highway'.

My car was across two lanes of the highway, for crying it out loud!


The expression is actually, "For crying out loud".

deep breath, massaged my forehead, and let my mind raced.


I think it's a bit strange that your MC lets her mind race. I let my dog outside, I let the kids I babysit eat a piece of chocolate, I let myself eat pizza, but to let your mind race is a little bizarre. You may consider replacing this with merely, "...my mind racing".

There's more but I won't go through them all because I hope you get the idea. There are just a few minor inconsistencies in wording that should be fixed to smooth out the narration. Otherwise, I felt that this piece was quite solidly written, in spite of its lack of solid plot. I would like to see more because I think you have something good here - it's now just a matter of fleshing it out!

Thanks for the read.

Best,
Lav




Mari1901 says...


Hi!
Thanks for the review. I%u2019ll take everything you said into consideration and try to do it better next time. You were really helpful.



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 441
Reviews: 22

Donate
Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 pm
View Likes
cheaperpoetry wrote a review...



Wow. I'm honestly a little speechless.

I must've read this atleast 10 times and I could keep going. This piece is just so beautifully constructed. I absolutely love the imagery and tied in with the level of diction eloquently used. Usually, I just say how I love such a piece flows, but your work comes to life as if I can imagine being in the place of the character. This is such a special talent only very special writers hold! The structure is balanced perfectly with a clever incorporation of italics. The line "Fear fisted my throat." is one of my favorite lines I've ever read, such beautiful personification. I have no constructive criticism as the pieces is sound in each necessary element. Please keep writing, I can't wait to read more.

Your friend,

Cheaper




Mari1901 says...


Oh, hush. You exaggerate. Thank you, though. It is good for my ego.




ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones