Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Mystery / Suspense

12+

LoaMR: Ch.XVI: Daphne and Claire 3

by MailicedeNamedy

"Unbelievable."

If you visit Berlyne, you can't get past Angelboulevard. At least for those who can afford it.

The four-lane road with the central reservation studded with birch trees and a few tulip meadows, the imposing underground railway station, and the arcades leading north for about a mile turned the former centre of the merchant town of Apex into a powerful empire for the rich.

Carriages and horses between cars and people. What impressed Claire more was the colossal building in front of them.

The department stores' chain A. Krinksdorf & Co. was a guarantee for quality and for high prices. There was nothing they did not sell. The five floors with their countless employees and articles ranged from jewellery for the little ones to luxury lamb filets for the big ones.

The first department store stood on Angelboulevard. It was known throughout the Free Duchy. People even heard about it beyond the borders. Because of its mighty monumental dimensions, the variety of products as well as the inner-building forest landscape, one could spend one's entire day and monthly salary there.

They had come on foot.

The walk from Oriel Alley to Angelboulevard took about ten minutes. By foregoing the underground transport, Claire saved a Krone.

She didn't know it was a luxury shop. She could guess and felt helpless. Almost incompetently, the passers-by had to pass them by. These wore rich clothes. Not the plain get-up she had carried since Regenschloss.

"Let's go inside," Daphne suggested.

The majestic lattice gate, decorated with dwarves and fairies, was the size of an omnibus.

Claire didn't know where to look first. She wished she had five more pairs of eyes to see all the pageantry. An entrance hall shot up forty or fifty feet and a bronze statue of a scantily clad woman hovered in front of them. Leisurely wandering onlookers and silent shoppers were between the marble columns. Stalls, galleries, shops of all kinds displayed their wares.

It was modern and timeless, chic yet a bit sparse. The department store was overwhelming. Claire would have loved to run through the wide aisles like a little child so as not to miss anything. When Adolf Krinksdorf gave a sketch to his architect, he already had a precise idea of how the house should eventually look.

For Claire, buying something expensive was out of the question. Her budget was limited if even forbidden in this house. Daphne showed her several pieces, all equally beautiful but very pricey. Even her aunt would not have been able to afford something like that, the niece was sure.

It wasn't long before she had found a more youthful, casual dress. The lively fabric transformed the mood. A positive mood grew. Also, the price was in a good class.

Daphne insisted on putting on the newly bought one immediately.

But no bed was bought. Claire was a bit awkward having someone lying next to her. A few times Claire had woken up knowing that someone was lying a few inches away from her. Not wanting to wake her, she didn't move. This made her wonder how married people slept together where the husband had to go to work early in the morning.

***

The biotope in the department stores was a fabulous finale for the visitors. On every floor, one could admire the wondrous nature. Trees from every continent, flower species, and plants from all over the world lived there. The owner had sent people to all parts of the world, especially for this purpose.

Along the atrium, cafés and a restaurant invited visitors to linger. At the very end, there was a waterfall that cascaded down between two fabricated walls. Moss, ivy, and other climbing plants grew on them. In the basement, there was a stream with some carp and exotic fish.

The soothing sound of pattering water, the palpable freshness at the table right next to the trees, and the strangely fragrant smell of vanilla and almond visibly enraptured Claire.

Her interlocutor had told her to be on first-name terms one more time today. Now Claire was allowed to be her friend

"I come here almost every week. Sometimes they're open late at night, you'll see some famous actors in that café over there," Daphne blathered.

"I've never been to a picture palace before."

"You're missing out, Claire. We have to go there."

"All right."

She took a sip of tea attentively.

"Where do you work?"

"SeelenherzInc. Wasn't that clear to you from Mr. Neumann's explanations?"

"No. I... I didn't think you would work there."

"Where else?"

Claire blushed.

"I thought you were rich. After... after all this morning."

Daphne let out a childish laugh.

"I may have a million in a bank, but I haven´t gotten them yet."

Claire grinned awkwardly.

"Shall we go to the zoo later? They're having an ethnological exposition at the moment."

"That sounds fun."

***

The zoological garden was a wonderful forest. From afar they could hear the trumpeting of elephants, the howling of wolves, and the roar of men in suits with their megaphones. They were all promoting the Human zoo as well as the exhibition about the first Sagauvelian colony.

Sporadically they met HePo and SG. Amused, they either came out of the zoo or drove crowded across the street in their half-open trucks to hit on individual women. Briefly, they had Daphne in their sights but were intimidated by her domineering gaze.

Claire could not have guessed that the Human zoo was an enactment of a false belief. The prejudices she had read in books about some cultures across the ocean she could marvel at in the flesh.

"Surely it represents a reality according to Sagauvelian beliefs," Daphne surmised as they went to the bears.

"Hm. How do these people see us?"

"They don't know we exist. If explorers didn't push into the wilderness, they wouldn't know a modern world existed."

"That may well be possible."

She had a question on the tip of her tongue when they visited the lions. It was not so easy to find a moment to talk about it. The question was based on an inferential background for herself.

With the zoo behind them, they took to their heels to walk back. Actually, Claire would have preferred to take the train, as she had to carry some bags. Daphne helped her; at the same time, they were getting closer to the industrial area. The clouds were getting gloomier and it stank of exhaust fumes.

To understand the layout of Greater Berlyne, Claire did not have to do much research. Her sister's gift was tucked away in her suitcase and offered a history, a development of the city's area, and a statistical reference book.

Back on Angelboulevard, one could not notice anything of the factories, although they were closer.

"...pumpkin soup is delicious. I especially like it in autumn,” Daphne explained.

"Pumpkins are those plump, orange balls?”

"They come in many colours and shapes. Have you never tried pumpkin soup?"

"No."

"But your aunt has a restaurant?"

“Yeah, but she's more into salads and meat."

"Pumpkins are delicious. You know what? We're going to buy a pumpkin! That's perfect for when autumn starts! I already know where we'll get it, too."

"All right."

Autumn...? So long...

"Have you ever tried dandelion salad?" replied Claire.

"Touché." smiled Daphne, "I'll probably come to your aunt's restaurant at some point."

"You really have to go there! The food is delicious! And she knows everyone from the city. She's like a celebrity."

"Isn't she planning to expand to Berlyne?" she joked, "That way I don't have to travel to Regenschloss."

"I... I don't know."

“Hm," Daphne went on, "Shall we go for a drink before we get home?"

"Can't we do this at your place?"

"As you wish."

Mrs. Schneider waited for them at the stairs. She was praying to herself. Daphne told Claire not to react too much to what they heard because she was an old crank. She owned the attic flat from where she watched over the courtyard. Claire didn´t like her because of what happened yesterday. Still, she was pretty anxious about the thought, that this old woman had a key to every flat in the house.

There Claire stood before it again. The piano was enveloped in a sublime aura that exuded a sweet aroma. While Daphne fetched the drinks, the young Silberlilie felt the urge to take a seat on the piano bench. Only to hold the position and touch it felt unspeakable.

Only privileged people could afford the grandest of instruments. She was ready to pick up the lid. The delicate fingerprints on the black prompted Claire to follow her heart. The white and black keys beckoned with their sounds to give birth to a symphony. Her legs approached the pedals.

"Play a bit."

Keystroking and heart-pounding, Claire froze.

"I can't play the piano."

"You don't? Too bad."

"I play the violin."

"That's great. We definitely need to be a duet! Did you bring your violin?"

"No."

"Oh..."

Daphne's disappointment was greater than Claire's.

It was a spontaneous idea on the part of the piano player to tune a melody. The disturbing thing was not the pain-filled music, but that Daphne was sitting right next to her as her fingers repeated yesterday's miracle play.

To XVI.4.

Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:58 pm

First Impression: Okayy...so we've got ourselves some proper sort of filler here...which honestly I think Claire probably deserves, so its a fun break after that scarier moment in the previous chapter and it seems perhaps Claire will get a bit of relief for the moment at least until I'm sure somewhere in the next two parts things take a turn once more.

"Unbelievable."

Okay...we're starting off with some classic descriptions based on what seems like a bit of a shopping expedition here. That's an interesting place to start with considering the kind of tone that we left off in with that last part. Well let's see where this ends up going I suppose.

Okayy..bit of a random scene there to end with. I feel like this is something we already saw pretty much somewhere in the previous one with that sort of shopping expedition and the sleeping and that kind of makes this scene be a bit redundant, cause we learn nothing new, besides the existence of this shop and I feel like that's not going to be some major recurring plot point or anything.

"All right."

She took a sip of tea attentively.

"Where do you work?"

"Where else?"

Claire blushed.

Daphne let out a childish laugh.

Claire grinned awkwardly.

"That sounds fun."

Okayy....this is a cute conversation, we're seeing more of this friendship building up exactly where it left off. I have to say I'm mildly curious how this friendship got off the ground so quickly, but I know how friendship sometimes can be so not questioning that, but in this world, I'm just suspicious of Daphne...xD

"Hm. How do these people see us?"

"That may well be possible."

OKayy....so we see the zoo, where once again it seems like we don't learn too too much, and this seems to just build on the earlier scenes here. HMm, for the moment it seems we've arrived at a bit of a filler chapter and I suppose the real things are going to get underway in the parts to come once this chapter has acquainted us of the buildings in the vicinity of Daphne's home.

"No."

"But your aunt has a restaurant?"

Okayy...so these conversations are kind of going all over the place at this point and while its a fun way to mention them getting to know each other better and such, this is certainly proving itself to be that ol' filler chapter at this point.

Okayy...well this took yet another mildly confusing turn there. It seems like we're addressing maybe an issue finally, but that paragraph of potential concern kind of vanished before things could fully register...hmm, I wonder what that could potentially end up being about here.

Okay...well...so that caps this one off on a fitting note to how this chapter in general has progressed so far here.

Overall: Overall, I think we've got ourselves a decent part here, just to catch our breaths a bit and for Claire to maybe have a chance to relax ever so slightly before her life inevitably throws another curve ball at her because I am quite certain we are far from any sort of ending just yet.

Thank you for your review! :D

HarryHardy says...

You're Welcome!!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:58 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Well, this was a pretty good part we had here, I quite enjoyed reading it but I wonder about how necessary this part actually is. So, Daphne and Claire are already quite good friends as we can see from this chapter. However, I think that this part is unnecessary to some extent but yeah, it's completely up to you what you want to do with it- keep it or remove it. The main thing which made me think that it's unnecessary is the sole purpose of this part. As far as I could see, we had some world-building here and with that, Claire came to know where Daphne works. If I am not much mistaken, both of these can be done elsewhere, at least this work one. This part kind of felt irrelevant, I don't exactly know why.

Anyway, let me just review it thinking that it will be as it is. I liked the humour in this part. In general also, I like these humorous parts put intermittently among the more serious ones and as it stands, nothing much generally happens in these humorous parts. That's a thing. I liked reading the beginning, specifically, the part where we saw Claire's thoughts and her reactions towards all these new changes in her life. Hm... So, Claire hasn't really forgotten about her aunt and all her relatives. That's a pretty good point we had here. She is actually gonna meet her father. Also, I just noticed the name of this chapter. I don't know how I managed to oversee it but that name kind of suggests that this chapter is going to be based entirely on Claire and Daphne. So, no meeting perhaps. But it is going to be interesting if both of them somehow meets Claire's father. I am kind of convinced that Daphne actually doesn't know that Claire is Benedikt's daughter. I am indeed a bit afraid that I will be proved wrong later on but... Hopefully, not.

Well, the review is getting jumbled up. Very good! Hm... I wonder what Claire actually thought after Daphne told him that she works at SeelenherzInc. Did she not connect it with her father? Hm... if yes, excellent and if no, besides bad luck, I would say that it definitely has something to do with the fact that the comapny is a very large one.So... maybe she didn't interconnect it. Everything is possible.

Oh, the last portion was intriguing. I sometimes wonder if music really has something to do with the actual plot of the story. Like there's music in a lot of places in the story. Perhaps, it has something to do with the Goddess. It's quite funny(Well, I don't really know how sad it was to the characters but to me, it kind of appeared to be funny) that Daphne was even more disappointed than Claire. I feel sad for both of them. Overall, they had quite a tour around the city and yet, Claire probably knows nothing of it.

Briefly, they had Daphne in their sights but were intimidated by her domineering gaze.

This was an interesting line. The HePo being intimidated is definitely something.

I wonder what question she was going to ask to Daphne. It's a pity that this question was ignored. It would have led to an interesting conversation, I guess.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Thank you for your review! :D

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah