Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Mystery / Suspense

12+

LoaMR: Ch.XIII: Invitation 3

by MailicedeNamedy

Is it the contrasts that bring people together? Is it curiosity? Is it the desire to see something that cannot be seen? What doesn't look good on your own body or doesn't fit your character?

Julius would never have gone to this place voluntarily if Léonard had not suggested it to him. It was Léonard´s last visit before he set off for the abbey and then travelled to the monks of the Muses. His realisation then led the incredulous de Waarfay to that mysterious place that could only be a fairy tale - Petrichor. From there on the stone was rolling.

Léonard's advice and experience led Julius to a completely new perspective on Sagauvela's history. After his return, Léonard kept his word. He kept his word and confessed to him his true background of this journey, basically his entire life, just as he promised Albert Reck years later.

It must have been curiosity that drove Julius Siebenfeder to stand by his side. Surely the fame that came later also played a role.

But Emma was not interested in such fame or curiosity. She wanted to be with Léonard, no matter where he went.

She can't really say how she managed to escape from Edward-Lloyd-Newman City undetected. It was probably her gift to make a map in her head and make a quick getaway when she sensed danger. She was surprised at how easy it was to get past people, almost as if they wanted to get rid of her. She even got help from one of the guards. Emma's naivety was a worry, though, as she didn't realise how she was being watched throughout her long walk through the city. It was like an experiment, but the young woman was never to know about it.

Her journey to Erlenbrunnen took four days.

She found a small farmer's truck in the next village (Gustafshausen), where she jumped on unnoticed. Overhearing, she heard that the farmer and his youngest son were going to get to Erlenbrunnen. They had just received their passes.

Just outside the city, Emma fled into the surrounding woods. It was a miracle that no one spotted her. She stole the bare necessities for food and left behind her last banknote of five Kronen before she perished in the Northern Tree Line.

She spent three days looking for the Melaten estate.

She slept under protruding tree roots and on soft moss. Wolves or bears could have eaten her. She ate from the mushrooms and drank from the springs that gushed out everywhere. She lacked security, but otherwise, she lacked nothing.

Exhausted and at the end of her tether, she arrived at the lake on the third morning. In the distance, she caught sight of an oversized, black, and brown house. It brought her into perfect anticipation. It had to be the Melaten estate. It stood right by the creepy lake, the bottom of which was already unrecognisable on the shore.

In a leaping frenzy, foxes could have mistaken her for a rabbit or hare, she sprinted through the forest, further along, the water until she stood in the clearing. She hiccupped with watery eyes when she saw Léonard's car.

Emma felt secure and confident.

After all the insults in the ELN city, she was now allowed to claim that she could survive in the wilderness. She had proven that she was capable of being intelligent.

But Emma was also disappointed. She was disappointed that Claire showed so little compassion and did not want to defend her. Emma would have liked to throw everything at her.

Now nothing could go wrong anymore. Léonard was a few feet away from her. The hulking gate did not intimidate her at all. She looked in vain for a doorbell. Briskly she opened the door and was amazed by the inhuman dimensions of this house. For a moment she thought she heard someone.

Past the statues, she took steps down into the interminably tiled and amber hallway. The chandeliers hung a dozen feet from her, the numerous doorways led to numerous rooms. They were all locked.

First, she walked slowly to the end.

"Léonard?" she whispered.

There was no answer.

She had a choice. One of the many doors had to lead to him.

About five or six later, she was in the library. Before that, she was in some elongated rooms with no signs of life. From above the hall, she finally recognised a person.

Lapsing into a state of shock, Emma could watch her drop some books, aghast.

"What are you doing here?"

Monique probably no longer expected Léonard to invite friends. Emma held on to the railing and shook her head. She was either thinking that Léonard had a family or that she had ended up in the wrong estate. Her dearest wish would have been to be wrong.

"Léonard...?"

Monique looked at her from below. Patiently, she let Emma struggle and tremble upstairs.

"I will go and get him. Please wait there."

She was a little unsure. Monique came back with him a little later. Emma jumped in the air when she saw him coming there, so graceful. With her mouth open, she wanted to receive him, but could not utter a word. When he finally turned and caught sight of her, Emma burst into tears of joy.

"Léonard!” she cried.

Calmed and exhausted, she knelt. Between the wooden struts, she saw in brief glimpses how he took the stairs. When she felt, he picked her up, she hugged him warmly and had a good cry. It had probably now dawned on her what she had done.

"She needs something to eat," Monique speculated, "Take her to one of the guest rooms and I'll prepare some porridge."

***

"This lake. I don't like it..."

A fresh breeze blew the dust out from under the four-poster bed. Creaking sounds followed Léonard's steps. The curtains were at her side, a candlelit beside her bed. A painting of a mountain river next to a lonely hut was the first thing seen in the morning. The mountains in the picture resembled those Emma recognised when she stared out of the window.

"Nice to hear you talk," Léonard said calmly, "Shall I feed you?"

Emma replied in the negative.

"Eat. You can regain your strength."

He pointed to the bowl on the tray.

It stood on the old-smelling bedside table to her left. Hesitantly, she swallowed the hot porridge. Emma watched Léonard. He was sitting by the window. She avoided his gaze. She was a stupid girl, she told herself during dinner. It was now that she realised how childish she was. Léonard was an adult, somebody with a life and responsibility.

It was stupid to leave Claire alone and want to go to him. Her temper should have led to a choleric tantrum when the head of the office had spoken so badly about her. Instead, Emma was on fire to get away. As if she had only been waiting for this opportunity.

The brief joy of reunion was destroyed by the woman named Monique. Emma was not granted a life together. As Emma scraped the last remnants from the bowl in sleepy puffs, she thought that she must now leave.

"How are you?" he asked.

The bowl was on the tray. The silver spoon next to it.

"Good,” whispered Emma, "May I get up?"

"Of course."

Furthermore, he did not leave his place on the windowsill. His aura was that of a nobleman, a lofty, elegant young count or lord of the manor. He seemed like an educated, strict person, chauvinistic but charming, clever, and affected. She could not forget him, only forgive him. Thoughts tumbled in Emma's head. Again she saw in him an adult and in herself a small child. A little naïve child who wanted to play.

Waiting for Emma to get off the bed, he starred outside. She bent her legs and held on to them. The contracted sitting position gave her support.

Léonard cleared his throat. He was about to say something when Monique intervened.

"I'll take the serving tray," she apologised.

"Where did you leave Claire?" he asked after his fiancée had closed the door.

The very first question was the worst.

Emma supported her head on her knees and answered mechanically.

"Left behind."

"Where?"

“Oh, Léonard! I left her behind! We wanted to be with you and after we were captured, I made my escape! I just wanted to be with you again and in doing so I abandoned my best, ... no, my only friend! I'm so sorry!" she cried.

"You're young. You're not aware of any guilt."

"Don't try to convince me that I´ve done everything right!"

"You are safe. If you calm down a bit, you can explain better. Where have you been? Where were you captured?"

Another act of grief plunged Emma into a hole before she reached out and understood the troubling realisation of her actions in his caring arms.

With renewed vigour and melancholy manner, she told young de Waarfay the whole story since his escape at Kapellengarten. She mentioned the journey along the 100-Mile river, the false village, the arrival in Edward-Lloyd-Newman City, and her escape across the forest until she reached the Melaten estate.

She showed him the note they had found in the attic. Léonard was deeply moved and nervous about this find and took the note from her. He said that Claire was fine, she is a citizen of the Empire after all, whereupon Emma burst into tears. She should be punished, not her friend. With silly logic, Léonard was able to get the young creature back on the straight and narrow after some time.

In a sensitive tone, he encouraged her to stay with them for a while. He gave her hopes of seeing Claire again. But it required patience and a sufficient portion of sleep.

END OF CHAPTER XIII

To Chapter XIV

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Okay, so we are pretty much swinging in a to and fro motion across the timeline of the story. Though it's a bit confusing (everything in the world is confusing to mw, don't worry), I enjoyed the swing. Anyway, to the review.

I wasn't expecting Emma to reach Melaten estate that easily. I was a bit surprised when everything was done so easily but ah, that's the only way I can see here. It's not like one of the empire would see her and volunteer her out of the place. One thing I can think of is a foreigner to the empire might help her out. That can actually be a thing. Maybe there was another incarnation of Newman somewhere out there.

Next let me jump to the beginning of this part. I wonder where Julius actually is. Not at Leonard's, I guess. He was not supposed to come for the birthday celebration. Then, somewhere else. Now, we come to Emma who, of course is at Leonard's. I wonder if something could be done to the transition. I felt a suddwn changw in that place where we jumped from Julius to Emma.

I feel pity for Emma. It was apparent that something like that is going to happen but ah, I felt that awkardness between Emma and Leonard. The way Emma conversed with Leonard definitely came across a bit odd. It gave me a different sort if feeling. Emma has done so many things to reach Leonard and after she has succeeded, she wants to go back. That's actually a bit sad. However, I hope that Leonard will be able to understand the problem and solve it. If I am not wrong, he is already aware of it. He seems to be mature enough to understand that.

I liked the sudden bit of realization that Emma had after reaching Leonard. That was inevitable... I would actually like to know a bit more directly about this realization and what changw she had in her. Like we know that she was very disappointed and everything for obvious reasons but I want to know the change in her feelings towards Leonard.

I wonder about the relation between Monique and Emma. I don't think they have pretty much developed a relation but if Emma stays here, they are going to develop that. Hm... Maybe Emma does havw some sort of dislike towards Monique. That's not quite unnatural though. Now with Monique, I don't think she is going to have some sort of grudge or whatever(xD, I was suddenly reminded of typical moviea and serials) towards Emma. Hopefully, everything is going to be fine.

Overall, some kind of predictable things have been happening in the last two parts of this chapter. That makes me think something very unpredictable might happen in the upcoming chapters.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Thank you very much for your review! :D

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:58 am

First Impression: OKayy...soo...this was maybe the least liked part for me out of this entire chapter. It was good, not that it was bad, but I just personally really don't like the way Emma and Léonard interact. Also I feel like this was missing a very important part, where we can see Emma's mental change to get to the point where she pulled off what she did. It feels like that journey was just erased and that really needs to be seen. I do like that she finally realizes a bit about what she's done though. It does make sense for someone young to impulsively do something they then up regretting.

OKayy..so we're discussing the motives of Julius working with Léonard, interesting start here to this part...I was expecting Emma to make here appearance in this one, her escape and travelling to Léonard's place is going to take some explaining to get across to us readers.

Oh well...that was kind of an anti climax, I was expecting something more there, but I guess that's reasonable to assume that something like that is the only real way she could escape. Her ability to walk for four days though is a bit suspect. Considering how her character is setup, you wouldn't think she'd have the ability to make it that far....especially considering food and shelter and quite a few other things. I don't know. I find myself unable to believe she can do this, even if she was very motivated to be with Léonard, its a bit of a stretch.

Well, this is just making Emma out into a proper survivalist here, and I just can't buy it. I don't mind if she showed some signs of having some sort of determination earlier and a few skills, but this is all seemingly out of just pure determination to get to Léonard and I just find it hard to see a person such a drastic change. It feels like a sudden extra development of her character and I get the feeling after all this, she's just going to go back to being as naive as always.

So it seems she has gone through a lot in that short period of time to get to this point, with her having given up on Claire as well, but again, maybe if you showed us Emma's side of things from her point of view so we could see a major change like this happen within her, this would work better, but now its just she's gotten from that Point A of getting the city and then the Point B of getting to Léonard and we just have to kind of deal with her development in character, we see none of it...and I think that doesn't bode well. A massive change in character like this really needs to be shown. If anything Claire's experiences in the city were capable of being summed up this way without too much trouble, Emma's are really not.

"What are you doing here?"

"Léonard...?"

So she's just going to march up to him and ahh...I still really don't like this particular relationship at all...to the point I feel like skipping these parts sometimes...but well, let's keep going I guess. This is just all me not really liking this thing right from the outset of it.

"This lake. I don't like it..."

Emma replied in the negative.

"Eat. You can regain your strength."

He pointed to the bowl on the tray.

Well, I guess at least he's taking care of her, that's something...and we do get to see that he long journey is actually going to end up affecting her somewhat. I can only hope how everyone back in her hometown is now feeling if they ever got word of this. I guess let's see how this situation progresses. I get the feeling Emma is never really going to learn, she's had plenty of opportunity to do that if she wanted to, so we're just going to keep seeing her doing things like this.

The very first question was the worst.

Well, I guess she's feeling somewhat remorseful now. That's the start of something I guess, only now it seems she still doesn't feel like trying to call out Léonard on anything, cause if anyone owes anyone an apology, its Léonard who owes more than one here but Emma's convinced herself she's the only one in the wrong.

Ahhhh....once again I really have trouble processing Léonard being treated this way considering everything that was revealed about his character. I suppose there's more to him than what we've just seen, but something about these scenes just don't sit right with me, so I'm just going to move past these.

A little odd there the phrasing towards the end...it sounds a little disjointed from the rest of the paragraph. You might want to take a second look at that particular bit there.

Overall: Overall, its not a bad chapter, the issue I think is what's not here rather than what is actually here. Anyway, I think that's about all I have to say on this particular part here. :D

Thank you very much for your review and ideas! :D

HarryHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson