z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Just Another Day (Chapter-2)

by Lily708


JUST ANOTHER DAY

"Kelsy…Kelsy!!!!!!..you bludger…get down from that dreadful bed of your's!"

I pulled the pillow closer to me covering my ears, so at least that way mom's volume's gonna reduce…Ah….Makes no difference!!!!! I pulled my duvet over my head and tried snuggling back to sleep.

"You've just got 20 minutes Kelsy…you gotta be fast, You don't wanna be late to school"…mom shouted from downstairs.

"20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Within no time I found myself standing on my feet surprised.I gotta hurry up….I grabbed my bathrobe and ran for a shower.

Why do there have to be mornings huh?Life on earth would be much better with just afternoons and evenings….bur..but..that means the afternoons are gonna be mornings and I know that's the most agonizing thing on the whole surface of the earth.

So what am I gonna wear today?!A million dollar question!…anyways I somehow managed to get into a pair of black straight jeans which was paired up with a white loose tank too-oo-pp…tooppp…wait just 10 minutes more.I ran downstairs and gulped a crisp bar as I walked out of the door shouting bye mom as I actually kept chewing ...(that's more like buyeahhmuuhh).

I walked down the street to school, yeah I walked and not ran….I just wished I'd be late today and then the school president would send me back home.Phew!that's not as easy as it sounds, cause I never want mom to know that I don't really like this school, I know this is the best she can do for me, why did dad have to leave us alone?!Dad…..I know your somewhere out there listening to me….please come back I can't do this anymore….I wanna go and live my old school life, I don't want any new friends, I'd better be all alone……That way I'll not have anyone left to lose.

Looking around I finally realized…I reached!...and the most important..' on time'!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 2620
Reviews: 81

Donate
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 pm
skylnn00writes wrote a review...



Hey! Sky here, dropping a review per your request. I am just trying my best and giving you my suggestions, so you by no means have to listen to me. My corrections are highlighted in red.

"Kelsy…Kelsy!!!!!!You bludger…get down from that dreadful bed of yours!"


Couple things, nice that we already know who the character is though. After the exclamation points, no ellipsis needed, just capitalize the y in you. It's highlighted in red. Also, your's becomes yours.

I pulled the pillow closer to me covering my ears, so at least that way mom's volume's gonna reduce…Ah….Makes no difference!!!!! I pulled my duvet over my head and tried snuggling back to sleep.


Here you should change this since it sounds awkward and isn't exactly grammatically correct. Maybe you could write something more like "...so at least that way my mom's noise gets reduced. It doesn't make a difference."

Why do there have to be mornings, huh?


So, what am I gonna wear today?!A million dollar question!…anyways I somehow managed to get into a pair of black straight jeans which was paired up with a white loose tank too-oo-pp…tooppp…wait just 10 minutes more.I ran downstairs and gulped a crisp bar as I walked out of the door shouting bye mom as I actually kept chewing ...(that's more like buyeahhmuuhh).


Ok, not sure what happened there at the end. The tank top thing, I really have no idea what it is. It just kind of looks like your keyboard got sticky keys... also at the end the parenthesis isn't needed. It also makes no sense. Just look it over and edit it. Why does she wait 10 more minutes? Last thing, put quotations around bye mom or something.

Phew!that's not as easy as it sounds, cause I never want mom to know that I don't really like this school, I know this is the best she can do for me, why did dad have to leave us alone?! ... That way I won't have anyone left to lose.


That's a long sentence. Split it up; you can put a period after "she can do for me" and after "like this school". Also, it's I won't instead of "I'll not"

Looking around I finally realized…I reached!...and the most important..' on time'!


This sentence is just really strange. Maybe instead you could write "Looking around, I realized I had finally reached. More importantly, I was on time."

Overall, it was good. I have a few side complaints:

1. This chapter was really short. I feel like you could have made it longer, or combined it with the previous chapter. Maybe you could combine it with the third as well. It wasn't bad, just a bit short.

2. Watch your spacing and grammar. There were some capitalization issues and I pointed a couple of them out, but not all of them. Also, there were a lot of exclamation points. I felt like the character was yelling at me for half of it. Maybe just take a couple off. Lastly, some of your sentences didn't make much sense. This could be easily fixed if you just look over it, not a big deal.

3. You used a lot of improper English. That isn't good to use in your stories unless you are using dialogue and that is how the character talks. Even when it is in their point of view like this, make sure you use "going to" instead of "gonna", etc.

4. Lastly, I'm not that advanced in this but I am going to say watch your tenses. There were a couple times where you switched from past and then present then back to past. Again, you may want to get a second opinion on that since I am not too educated for that.

That's all I have to say. Keep in mind that these were all suggestions, as well as me trying to improve on my editing skills. This story plot is really good, I liked the first chapter and I like this one too. It's a bit unoriginal though, and I have seen many like it, but that's okay. I hope my review is helpful and let me know if you want anything else reviewed :smt001




User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:14 am
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hey Lily! Hope you don't mind that I'm dropping by for a review. (And I apologize for not reading chapter 1).

So, I'm guessing Kelsy is a new girl at this new school and her father has passed away. I like how there's a bit of internal thought in Kelsey's head about missing her dad.

I'm going to have to agree with olympian on the punctuation. I would try and cut many of the ellipses out (those are the "..."s) because they're usually used to dramatize writing and it didn't really feel effective here. Also, some of the sentences are a bit long and just have commas to add pauses in them. This isn't grammatically correct and also sounds a bit weird to the reader when they're reading, so I would try and shorten the sentences.

Usually this kind of scene, especially in chapters 1-2, are reeeally cliche. Avoiding "Mom wakes me up and I pick out my outfit then go to school" in your early chapters may be best because 1) it's, well, cliche and very overused (which then makes it a bit boring), and 2) doesn't develop much of the character as could happen.

I'm not quite sure what the last sentence is trying to say.

Though I don't know much of the plot, it seems to be really interesting - I know coping with parent death/loss is hard! I also really enjoyed how Kelsy almost "speaks" in her narration. It adds a nice touch and makes the writing a bit more unique!

I hope this helps. Have a great day <3

~EternalRain




User avatar


Points: 125
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:35 pm
olympian1999 wrote a review...



Alright, you've got some solid writing right here! I think it might be beneficial to take a closer look at some of the punctuation though. There are points where you've got run on sentences, but those shouldn't be too hard to fix. Make sure that you include your spaces after the punctuation as well. Also, be careful with ellipses. You use them a lot, but some places it would be fine to just use a "." or another punctuation mark.

"Looking around I finally realized…I reached!...and the most important..”on time”!"

I would maybe change this to "Looking around, I realized that I had finally reached the school, and more importantly, on time!"

I like that you write out the narrators thoughts as dialogue, but make sure to cleanly transition from her thoughts to the description. Watch out for capitalization too. For the most part, you're good here, but there are a couple issues.

I do like that you are very expressive in your writing too. Maybe take cut down the 20 minute's exclamation marks to 2 or 3 though.

Overall, you've got some sturdy rocks here. Just like real gems though, it needs some polishing. I'm sure that once you take of that, it's gonna be great!

Keep writing and stay gold!




Lily708 says...


Hey, thanks a lot, olympian1999...ya review was of great help.:)
So, hows it now?=_=



olympian1999 says...


Are you sure you've updated it? I'd be glad to help more, but it doesn't look different. It may be a glitch on my end, I don't know.




Have you met a cow or another large animal?
— Liminality