z

Young Writers Society


18+

Delta - 14.3

by Brigadier


Warning: This work has been rated 18+.

Jud looked down in the file in his hands, silently wishing that there was a glass of scotch in its place. Every time something in this office calmed down, another nightmare would just pop out of Hell and decide to wreck his life a bit more. It was times like this when Jud started to seriously consider taking that retirement at seven hundred instead of one thousand.

“Hey, Jud. You want to stop daydreaming about a beach on some far away planet?”

He sighed while opening the file and looking down at the Federation mug shots.

“Well according to the Federation, these people are dead. But like always, you come in here and tell me some amazing revelation about how they got it wrong.”

Jud looked over her and decided that maybe he should take a seat in the leather chair. Cati had moved across the room at some point, guiding a glass of dark liquid into his hand, and stayed leaning against the side.

“Jud, guess who else was supposedly killed for war crimes by the Federation?”

He looked back up to question the movements on her face. Jud didn’t think that she could possibly have been tried for war crimes, even though there were so many things that he had heard…

But then again, all of the things he had heard about Harry were commissioned by the government, meaning she probably didn’t go anywhere for war crimes.

“You?”

Might not have been the best wording but he needed to watch how she reacted to such a question.

“No. Cati. The point of this story is that the mildest little old alien you could ever imagine, was supposedly executed for war crimes on their home planet.”

“How would I have even fucking guessed that was the point of the story?”

She took another glass, that had again mysteriously appeared in Cati’s hand, and Jud silently checked to make sure his glass was still there. He slid the ice cube around for a moment, waiting to hear what her miraculous answer might be. The room continued with its heavy silence until Leo stepped back into the room, dragging a screeching chair behind him and failing to apologize with the slight looks in their general direction.

Leo soon broke the silence, justifying the screeching chair by saying, “I thought we uh could use some chairs on the sidelines, since there’s so many photographs.”

Before Jud could stand and respond to the slightly illogical motion of Leo, who had just cleared the floor and was now trying to clutter it again, Harry beat him to the punch. He could see the side glare in her eyes, meaning she heard the snide comment running through his mind. It wasn’t all that bad to doubt how – smart – the kid was.

“Well I personally do not but thank you for the thought, Leo. I’m sure your legs are starting to hurt from all the time in those braces.”

Jud saw her falter a bit while trying to prove she had no need for a seat, that her legs weren’t in pain. He could see the spines starting to flex and expand around her ankles, never a very good sign, even for someone like her. His eyes remained focused on her as she walked the room to lean against the window, which she explained as a need to look across the room from that perspective.

Cati’s hand remained on his shoulder as they silently whispered, “There is no need to make a battle here where there is none. If she doesn’t want to admit to anything, then we will not press her for any information.”

He was slightly put off by the mention of “we” but waved it away when Leo started assembling the pictures. Leo had located a stick to use as a pointer in this makeshift conference room.

“Alright, so at the center we have the Lucreskis. Now these folks are just middle men for bigger members of the of the ring. I mostly know some of the lower contacts, the guys in their smart little blazers passing the pieces off to the jewelry stores.”

Jud sat there hoping that this kid wouldn’t be a waste of time. Or really that this case wouldn’t be a waste of their time since they weren’t getting paid to investigate it. He should have properly checked to see how many bounties were involved in investigation before agreeing to such danger.

Retirement is looking really good.

Leo glanced over at him before continuing.

“I know that I don’t have the best connections but some of these jewelers should be able to lead you to the big fish. Some of them are on the take and personal members of the family, but then there’s – ”

He spun around for a moment, searching for the next piece of the puzzle, which wasn’t very detectable among a sea of jewelers who all looked the same.

“Sidney Beit. He is obviously not in the family and I found out through talking to his stock boy that he’s being kept in the system through payments and physical force. This is one of the few guys who interacts with top dealers and is scared enough to flip on them.”

“Flipping on them sounds good. But who is he going to run to? And would one the stock boys say something?”

“Beit will not go to the cops because his status on this planet isn’t the most legal set of arrangements that I’ve ever seen. And the boys won’t say anything to Fiacre or Leonet or any cop because they’re in the same spot. There’s really no reason for them to back out.”

The Leonets being involved raised the stakes and Jud’s mind soon bounced to ideas about who else might be involved in this caper.

“Leo, do you know how many families are involved in this?”

“Just on Zinnia or uh through the system or galaxy?”

Jud coughed when came the mention of “galaxy”. He’d been in the business for a long time but this level of crime issue might be too big for the agency. Harry stepped in again before he had a real chance to answer.

“We’ve never really handled something this big, Leo. I’m sure my colleagues do find a bit of concern for working something on this scale but the more dangerous, the more the bounty. Right, Jud?”

“Of course Harry. Whatever you say about this case.”

Leo looked between them for a moment and Jud wondered just how much of that power the kid inherited. He probably couldn’t read minds straight and forward, but he swore the kid could read faces. Jud always knew how to spot these kinds of people in crowds and maybe that’s how he ended up with Harry.

“Okay, so maybe it is a big case and I do apologize for bringing it to all of you, but there is a lot of money in it. I’ve never heard that expression before, but I have worked in gem rings before, so I can assure you that even if the Feds don’t give a payout…”

“Then something might fall off the back of the truck?”

“Exactly, Mr. Huff. Exactly.”

“A few nice gems might just happen to fall into my hands and out of the pocket of a few rich old mafia scumbags.”

So, the kid does have some redeeming qualities.

“You know he does, Schudea.”

Harry moved towards the center of the room and kept one hand steady against the brace at her hip. Jud noticed the slight lean in her stride, the look of pain upon her face and the overall dismissal that anything was happening.

“Leo, as tempting as that does sound, we have to start with some actual work. I assume you’re acquainted with Mr. Beit and the other keepers in his shop?”

“Yes, very. I’ve done a lot of work for them.”

“Care to set up an appointment?”

“I’ll do it immediately, ma’am.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



It was times like this when Jud started to seriously consider taking that retirement at seven hundred instead of one thousand.

“Hey, Jud. You want to stop daydreaming about a beach on some far away planet?”


No, not really

I like how the bit about war crimes is not to give us further angsty backstory on Harry (or anyone else) but rather to point out the even the least likely person still has this crazy history with the war and the army and supposedly being dead. It's kind of like "look it's not some cliched coincidence that the members of this one crime family are really alive when everyone thought they were dead. That's totally normal."

I have really nothing else to say about this chapter rip so I'm going to move ahead to the next one.




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 226
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 pm
LRDay wrote a review...



Wow, this is spectacular! One thing I know to be challenging while writing a scene involving a lot of dialogue is to remember to incorporate motion, which I think is excellently displayed here. The back-and-forth flow of information between characters is great and all, but it is made even better when the characters are doing something as well. It is made so much more realistic.

"...until Leo stepped back into the room, dragging a screeching chair behind him and failing to apologize with the slight looks in their general direction." I love the humor here, it flows so naturally, as most of this story does.

There was extremely entertaining and incredibly well-written. Keep up the good work!





'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy