Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Teen Fiction

The Way It Changed

by Kz

Chapter 1- Emma

Chapter 2- Emma

Chapter 3- Emma

Chapter 4- Maxin

Chapter 5- Maxin

Chapter 6- Emma

Chapter 7- Maxin

Chapter 8- Aiden

Chapter 9- Jean Hazbrow

Chapter 10- Maxin

Chapter 11- Emma

Emma

When I walked into the school building Monday morning I immediately found Jess sitting with her boyfriend of 2 years, Devon Turner. I walked over to them dodging a Freshman student with his shirt practically down to his knees. I sat down next to Jess gagging when I smelled the bag she was holding.

“What is that?”, I threw up a bit in my mouth.

“Rotten apples”, Devon replied, sounding bored.

“Why?”

“Derik dropped them off”, he replied.

“Ah.”, Derik Hoof was the number one bully in Reeve High. “Understood.” I went to get lunch. I ordered a “General Reeves Salad”, with OJ and apples. Everyone knew any Reeves’ Salad was better with apples in it. I walked back to the table and dropped off my tray.

“I’m going to go find Aiden.”

“‘Kay”, Jess said without even looking up. She was studying the pics of her and Devon at the rally from one year ago today… which meant today was supposed to be the rally until the notice went on of a half day, because of My dad’s (the king’s) parade.

I stalked off to go find Aiden. I walked outside and stopped when I reached the edge of the blacktop. I looked around. He was around here somewhere.

A pair of hands wrapped around my eyes. “Guess who”, a rough and impossibly sweet voice asked.

“Aiden”, I breathed. I spun around and kissed him on the throat.

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“I got a little worried when I saw you abandon your custom made ‘General Reeves Salad’ and OJ”, he said as we walked back inside hand in hand.

“I was looking for you”, I pouted a little.

“You know I would have come over to your table.”

“I wanted to surprise you for once.”

“Never. I need to go buy lunch. Be right back.” I sat down and dug into my salad. I finished before Aiden Returned. I dumped it in the trash, put my tray on the belt and sat back down. Aiden Returned with an orange and milk. “Hey.”

I looked at his sad lunch and then up at him, and I growled. “You need to eat more.”

He looked upset. “I am not hungry”, he leaned down to kiss me, to distract me.

“Nah, ah, ah”, I say, leaning left to avoid him. “Why really?”

“Not hungry”, he said again, leaning down again. I dodged left again. It was his turn to growl.

I laughed. “For food. I know”, I giggled and he smirked. “I have archery after school”, I pouted.

“I know. I am ze royale princesses’ teacher.” I gaped at him. ‘No way’ I mouthed. He smirked again. “Yes way”, he said.

“I don't believe you”, I said just as the bell rang. We walked out to his car hand in hand. It was a half day, so we were leaving. Back to the castle. My castle? My home? Ugh. I hated being a princess. I hated it so much. My expression must have given away my thoughts because he stopped walking to hug me.

“It’s ok”, he murmured into my hair.

I shook my head. “You know that’s not true”, I mumbled into his shirt. “Nothing will ever be the same.”

“Except archery. Oh. I guess even that will be different with me being your teacher.”

“See? You couldn't even find one thing that will stay the same.”

“Sorry, love.” We got in his car. We drove the whole 10 minutes in silence, “y’know I found one thing that will never change”, he said as we pulled into my drive.

“Mh-hm. And what’s that?”

“Me.” He got out and opened my door, then he bowed low. “My princess.” I smacked him on the arm when I got out. “Hey!” I stretched up on my toes to kiss him, cutting off his protest so it sounded more like ‘he-mh’ “Yup.” He said into my throat. “I’m never changing.”

I giggled. “Ew. You better change. You stink.” I plugged my nose and made a face.

“Ha. Ha.”

“You do.”

“Gym”, classic one word answer.

“That’s your excuse every time”, I said. I pushed away from him. “Go shower. Change, whatever. I want to see if you even know what time to show up. ‘Teacher.’” He laughed, got in his car and sped away. I walked up the drive.

Emma

I took the golf cart down to the archery range. My dad was forcing me to take archery, a sport that I hated (was really good at), but I was sure that if Aiden was my teacher I would enjoy it so much more. I pulled the cart into the parking lot where Aiden’s SUV was already parked. “Ah”, I squeaked. I parked the cart, and took my stuff out of the back.

I walked out to the pavilion and threw my stuff on the bench. I walked to Aiden’s SUV and peered inside. He was sleeping. He had showered and changed. I laughed softly to myself. I crept around to the driver's side and pounded on his window. He jumped up. His hair was a disaster. I laughed at the sight of it. He scowled and opened the door. He stepped out and I stepped into him. “I told you I would surprise you for once.”

“And you did.”

“So you’re really my teacher?”

“Yep.” He laughed at my disbelieving expression. “Really.” He took my hand and then we walked to the pavilion. “Pick up your bow, mount your arrow. Fire 3 arrows. I want to see what we need to work on.” I frowned. I picked up my bow, turned it tabletop and put an arrow in it. He pursed his lips. I grinned. This was going to be fun. I fired an arrow into the 6 point blue, 2 point white, and the other one I let fly to the left. Missed the target by a foot.

I grimaced. “Oof”, I said in fake disappointment. But really, I was so proud of my archery skills.

He shook his head, “Not gonna work.” I frowned. I fired another three. One into the 10 point, one into the 9, and another split the arrow that was in the 10. “29. Not bad. But your form. Is. Terrible.”

“No it's not!!!”, I huffed and stomped.

He laughed, and then his face turned dead serious. “Yes it is. And before you protest, I’m buying free time together.” I considered it. My face must have given away my pleasure, because he laughed and wrapped his arm around my waist. I sighed and leaned into him. We sat on the bench like that. I curled into his side. I must have fallen asleep because he woke me with a kiss. And a, “It’s six.”

I burst upright. I knocked my head into Aiden’s face. “Holy-” I turned to face him to make sure he was ok. I shrieked when I saw that his nose was bloody. “Oh my god!!! I'm so sorry!” I lifted my shirt to try to get the blood of him.

“It’s fine”, he said. “Just a nosebleed. Not the worst I’ve had either.” He traced his fingers on my exposed stomach, as my shirt was still lifted to his face. I slapped his arm, stood up and got a rag for his face. I wet it in the sink under the pavilion and gave it to him. god I love him…

I invited Aiden in for dinner tonight, as dad was out. I rolled my eyes. “Out” meant finding a ‘queen worthy’ girl to spend the next three years with him until I turned 20, and took the throne. Ugh. The phone rang. I went and answered it.

“Hello?”, I asked into the castle phone.

“Hi. This is Margrett Moore. Your father, the king...”, she added as if i didn’t already know who he was. “...Was in a tragic car accident. He couldn’t be saved…” her voice slipped away… “Last words… daughter… queen… Transaction?” I couldn’t do anything. “Emma?” I heard her ask, my vision went blurry. Tears flew down my face, landing in hot puddles at my feet. I dropped the phone into the puddle.

Aiden saw obvious distress on my face because he ran over to me. “Baby? Baby? What’s wrong? Who was that?” He hugged my and I buried my face in his shirt. I sobbed into his chest. “Shh.”

“It w-was… Mar-Mar-Margrett Moore. My d-dad… he’s d-d-dead.” I sobbed. Aiden was shocked, and Silent. “His l-last w-words… I-I am going to-to be qu-queen.” I was hyperventilating now. I couldn’t stop, I just couldn’t stop.

Aiden let go of me, and ran to the counter, I heard him rummaging around in the cabinets. “Baby…” I sobbed harder. “Put this in your mouth. Drink this? Okay? Baby?” I did as he asked, and swallowed a pill. He guided me to the couch and I clung to him. Still sobbing. He look my wrist with two fingers and squeezed. I felt reality slipping. I was so tired. Everything went dark.

Emma

I woke up and I felt sick. There was this awful taste in my mouth, and I felt like I was going to throw up. Gross.

“Hey”, Aiden sat on my bed and pet my face. “I was wondering when you were going to wake up. Do you want something to eat?”

“Why do I feel like throwing up?”

He looked apologetic. “I gave you Xanax. The bottle was labeled: ‘Xanax, Emma’”

“Oh. That’s from when I used to have attacks after mom died. Good thinking.”

He hugged me again and kissed my forehead. “Are you hungry?” he asked.

“Did you carry me up here?!?!” I asked the realization dawning on me that I was up in my room and I was on the couch last time I was conscious.

“Yes. Are you hungry?”, he asked me for the third time.

My stomach growled. “Yes, I guess.” We walked down the hall, and down the stairs and to the kitchen. The kitchen phone was missing, and then I remembered dropping it into the puddle of my tears. More flowed to my eyes. I tried to blink them back, and failed. They flowed and spilled all over my face. Aiden, who had went to make me toast, ran over to hug me.

“It’s ok.”

“No!”, I yelled. “No! It isn’t. Call Margrett, Aiden. Wake up! My dad’s dead. I’m set to be queen! He didn’t have a girlfriend or a wife! I’m his only family!”, I was sobbing so hard. I started hyperventilating again. I broke away from Aiden, streaked to the bathroom and threw up. “I’m sorry”, I sobbed. “You can go home”, I sobered immediately with the thought. I stopped crying. “Aiden. You can go home, if you want.”

“What?”, he asked. “I’m not leaving you in this state”, he looked at me like I was crazy, which maybe I was.

“Fine. You can stay in the guest bedroom next to mine. Stay for dinner or whatever. I’m going to school tomorrow, and before you say anything, I am!”, I ran out of the bathroom up to my room and slammed the door, and then I fell to pieces on my bed. My first mistake was letting him stay.

Aiden knocked on my door at 5:25. “Baby? Can I come in?”

“Yes.” He walked in, and I started before he even could, “I’m so sorry about last night. I feel demented. I know it’s no excuse for my behavior. I’m so sorry.”

He sighed. “It’s a perfect excuse. You are in a really vulnerable place right now. And Margrett called. You can’t go to school today.”

“And why is that?!”, I demanded.

He looked at me. “Really?”

“No. I don’t want to go to school. I was just looking for a way to defy you, like I would my dad”, I said. “But really. Why can’t I go to school?”

He came and sat on my bed pulling me into his lap, and Cradled me to his chest. Uh-oh. “They found out that your dad’s death wasn’t an accident. They found the guy who killed your dad, as he died. But they found a gang tattoo and have reason to believe he’s not alone, that the gang want’s a secret your dad had, and the government thinks you have it too. So you are a possible target. You have to stay in the castle. I will stay with you, and Margrett will call with more news when they have some.” He looked at me to make sure I had followed. Probably because I wasn’t crying.

“I’m fine,'' I said. I snuggled closer. “So you get to stay, huh?”

He laughed unealsy. “Of that whole thing, that’s what you focused on?”, he eyed me waiting for the meltdown. But I was confident it wasn’t coming.

“Duh. Only good thing. Now come on. I’m hungry.”

“For food?”, he checked.

I answered, “yes. For food.” He smirked. “And not food too.” His smirk turned into a full-blown grin. I kissed him, we got off the bed and walked down stairs.

“I know that there has to be a clue here”, Aiden was saying.

“Um… yes…”, I was staring into a gold box. That literally said ‘clue’ on a piece of paper. My dad was an obvious riddler. “Ha!” I shouted. I ran into the game room and pulled down the game clue. On top of the stack was, “dining room, with the candlestick”, but the candlestick was coloured red instead of white. “Ha!”, I yelled again.

I dashed into the living room and reached into the mantle to pull off the red candle in the gold candlestick. Under the candle was a wax covered piece of paper that read: “Emma if you are reading this you should know that I’m gone. The group, ‘the silent footsteps’ have found me, and most likely killed me. They will come after you too. And anyone you form a personal connection with. Please remember, I used to read to you at night, to tell you little secrets about the world. Remember me as that kind of father, the loving, caring kind. Not the kind you are going to discover me as.” I finished reading.

“AIDEN!!!” I shouted. He came around the corner almost immediately, tripping over his feet the whole way. “You need to leave”, I said sobbing. “You need to get out of here before they kill you too!”

“What? Baby, I’m not leaving.” I chucked the note at his head. He grabbed it and started reading.

I ran out of the room, and up to my fathers bedroom. There had to be something in there. There just had to be. I found another note on his dresser. It was addressed to me. “Emma. I love you. You know that, But I need to say, I’m the kind of father that knows the things a big group of people wants. You need to run. And hide. Go far away. And I never wanted to tell you this, or burden you with the story, but long ago we discovered a disease that kills certain people, people without the cure. We have the cure. YOU have the cure. So they could release the disease and use the cure to make millions of dollars. Maybe more. I gave you the cure. You are the solution to the problem I never wanted to create. I’m sorry. Forgive me”

I read it twice over before shouting at the top of my lungs, “You filthy weasle!!! How could you do this to me? Your own daughter!!!” I opened the door and ran out into the hall cursing all the while. “FILTHY LITTLE RAT!!!!!!”, I shouted to Aiden, throwing the note into his chest. He read it.

“Oh”, he squeaked. It was a funny sound, really.

“If all of this is true, I’m going to stab his dead body”, I seethed. “You should go to school. It’s 7: 25. School starts in 15 minutes. It’s a ten minute drive so hurry!”

“They canceled school tomorrow so, can I stay with you? Rephrase that. I have to stay with you. Margrett’s orders.”

“But you also have to go to school so.. Do that. I’ll be fine.”

“Ok. Love you”, he gave me a chastise kiss, and grabbing his school bag he ran out the door. “Bye!”

“Bye”, I whispered. I wandered into the kitchen where the note had been left, and shredded it in the paper shredder. I took all the shreds, bills, junkmail, all that, and burned it. It was fun. I thought about what my dad said, “We have the cure. YOU have the cure”

There was a knock on the door. Aiden? I walked forward out of the kitchen and to the front door. I waited for a second knock and one never came. Good. Aiden never knocks twice.

I opened the door and found myself face to face with 3 men, dressed head to toe in black. “Um.” was all I could force out.

I slammed the door and ran through the house to the back door. I ran out. I ran straight into the driveway, behind where the men were standing dumbfounded in front of my door. I froze when a man started moving, pulling out a radio. I ran out behind the van and strait into a man’s chest. He held me to his chest, so I was forced to breath the air on his sweatshirt. It smelled really awful. I was starting to feel tired so I held my breath. I tried to struggle away from him, he squeezed his arms tighter against my waist, locking me in place. I screamed against him. I struggled feebly. I was tired. I had to suck up air. I screamed. I felt myself slipping into the dark waters below. I collapsed into his arms. Everything went dark.

Maxin

The girl’s struggles were growing feeble. Her screams were quieting. She went limp and her head fell into my chest. I scooped her up in my arms and opened the van door. I laid her on the seat. I radioed the group.

“Come on in guys. I got her”, I said into the radio. I could hear the soft tread of their feet as they walked to the van. “It will be ok”, I whispered to the girl. “I will protect you” I knew she couldn't hear me, but she needed to know. They got in the van. With me I had brought Fez Young, Degi, and Donna, who were all recovery agents. And of course, I brought Gonzales, our designated driver. I knew I had to bind the girl, but I didn’t want to. I took the rope that Fez handed me. I tied her ankles and wrists.

Degi and Donna turned around and said in unison, “How did you score her? We couldn’t get in.”

“She ran into me”, I said, pulling off my sweatshirt, which had been sprayed with a drug. I handed it to Donna, who smelled it, gagged and passed out. I laughed. I pulled the now tied up girl into my lap. I gripped her waist, so she wouldn’t fall off the seat, and so I could respond quickly if she woke up, which she most likely would because I didn’t give her a lot. Gonzalez asked where to. I responded with my usual shut up. Gonzalez started the route to HQ. Fez and Degi had started up a conversation about the current status of the cure research, and I heard them flirting. I was bored already. I put up the divider and returned my focus to the girl. She probably wouldn’t remember me. I was worried she would hate me too.

About an hour into the drive, she stirred in my arms. I thought It would be at least another hour before she woke up. She fought the drugs fast apparently. I skipped around that fact, and squeezed her waist. She woke up with a start. I covered her mouth with my hands, and whispered into her ear. “Don’t be afraid. It’s me. Maxin.” She relaxed a lot when I said my name. She remembered me? Huh. In my debate about how to continue, she’d flipped herself off me, and on to the floor where she was using the seatbelt cutter to cut herself free. “No”, I said. I gripped her arms and pulled her off the ground back onto the seat. “You don’t remember me do you?” I asked restraining her because she was struggling. “The guys who came to your door are up front”, I told her. It did nothing to quiet her.

She then realized that her mouth wasn’t tied. “Get your hands off me ‘Maxin’”, she hissed.

“Sorry. But thats the one thing I can’t do”, I responded. “What happens If you tried to escape? It would be my fault. Now. I need to explain everything. They want the cure. Please tell me you don’t know what I’m talking about.” She looked sullen. “So you know. Great. So basically this group thinks you know and they are going to go through great resources to get it.” She gulped. “Do you know where it is?” She nodded. Yes. Great.

“Don’t tell anyone. My name is Maxin. I work for your dad. Who is now dead. Double agent. So basically, I’ve worked with your dad since before you were born. And we worked on the cure. He told me he had the perfect place for it, now that we were done. I told him I’d leave him to it. And your dad didn’t have time to be a dad, so I read to you, and hugged you goodnight. I’m sorry. He told me not to tell anyone, but he told me that it was the perfect place. Where?” She pointed to herself. “In you?” She nodded. “Good grief. Ok. We are about 30 minutes away. So you can’t be awake”.

I gripped her waist, “now struggle a lot.” She did. I pulled the divider down, I reached through. “Give me my sweatshirt!” someone put it in my hand. I held it to her mouth, and nose. She breathed in, raggedly. She struggled and kicked. Like before they were growing feeble. She sagged into me. I gave it five more seconds before I took it away. She was breathing slowly.

Fez said, “She woke?”

“Yeah. I didn’t give her enough last time. It’s fine.” Fez nodded and pulled up the divider.

Maxin

I pulled her out of the van. Synthia and Simon where waiting on the stoop of HQ with Dr. Quad. Synthia and Simon were the leaders of the whole organization. Dr. Quad had given me the sweatshirt. When I stepped out of the van, with the girl’s head laying against my chest, Dr. Quad jumped and shouted, “Did it work then?”

“No. She woke. I think she fights that one way to fast.”

“Hm”, Dr. Quad went off on himself, and walked away mumbling.

Synthia squealed when she saw the girl. “Yay! Bring her in! Bring her in! Bring her to room 5. There is a sleeping quarters, and an operation room in there! Bring her to room 5! We can get started right away! The moment she wakes up, I will have Dr. Hazbrow, Dr. Lexi, and Dr. Quad in the room.” She turned around to squeal into the radio.

“What will you start with?”, I asked Simon, treating it like an afterthought, when really it took up all my thoughts.

“Um. I’ll have Dr. Lexi, begin the… Um. Y’now, torture”, He kind of choked on the words.

Emma

I wasn’t drugged. I faked the whole thing. So when I heard the gravely voice say what was in store for me, I convulsed and barfed all over Maxin. And keeping in character of being drugged, I stayed still, and choked on my vomit. Ew. Ew. Ew. I choked and gagged. Maxin screamed. He flipped me onto my stomach, and wacked my back, I gagged one more time, and then screamed before passing out.

I woke up and barely had time to absorb my surroundings, before I threw up. I was strapped down, and therefore could not turn my head to throw up. I gagged on my throw up, shocked no one was going to save me. I choked and gagged. I threw up more. I cried. I couldn’t breath. In the next second, my air was returned to me, and someone was slapping my back and saying. “God dammit. I leave for one second…”

I cried and cried. Once I realized I was not alone, and covered in my own vomit, I stopped crying. A guy took me off the table and carried me somewhere. In the next second, there was hot water pouring all over me. My vomit washed down off me. I sighed. Realizing I was being taken care of, I cried. I was lifted from the water, and put on a new table. My eyes were shut. Suddenly, my clothes weren’t on, they were being replaced. My eyes popped open. I screamed when I saw the woman who was putting me in a new shirt. I screeched. I tried to pull away. I was too weak. This felt so cliche. She finished changing me, and carried me to the room ‘5’ again. I screamed when she put the straps back on my ankles, wrists, and waist.

“Dr. Hazbrow”, Said a sickly familiar voice, “Please report to room 1890, we have a problem.” The strange man, saluted and left. “Are you okay?” said the new man, rushing to my side.

“Yes”, I tried to say, but it came out as a strangled sob, and whimper. It sounded like, “Yu-uh”

“Oh.” Maxin said, “They were about to start.” He reached for me, I cried out and retracted into the table. “It’s ok”, He said. “Trust me.” He reached for my wrist and counted my furiously beating heart. “I have to let them continue though. I will get you out. I promise you that much. And you can pick whether or not you want me to be present for the.. Torture.”

“Yes”, I rasped. Maxin, ran to grab me water. I drank greedily.

“Ok”, Maxin said. “This is room 5, your designated room. So you have the … chamber, a bathroom, a bedroom and a TV, but it is flatscreen and mounted to the wall, and you can’t take it off. No weapons. So this is your place. You are semi-safe. Sometimes they drag people out of their beds at night to beat them. Just look out.” I whimpered. “Shh, they are coming back. Shi-”, the door swung open.

Maxin

In walked, Synthia, Simon, Lexi, and… uh-oh. They brought Skippy, Skatzy, and Soryn. Theminions. They will do anything that Synthia or Simon says. Synthia’s strong blood and ruthlessness running through their veins. Simon’s strong form and hardheadedness. They basically did anything and everything that Synthia or Simon were to say. And I could only guess why they were here now. But it was good that they were. I was super conflicted about whether or not they were going to follow my plan, or rat me out to Synthia and Simon. Uh-oh.

“Get her up”, Simon commanded, authority saturating his voice. His children snapped to attention, and unstrapped her. They pushed her into a sitting position, and lifted her up.

“Yay! We can begin!”, Synthia squealed. “Put her here.” Synthia pointed to an upright table. Next to it were knives, knives, and more knives.They put her on it and closed the straps. Synthia’s face clouded over. She reached over to the knives to pick one. I saw the fear register on Emma’s face as Synthia picked a small sharp blade, she presented her chosen blade to Dr. Lexi with a flourish. “This one!” Emma was visibly trying to pull herself together. She closed her eyes. Her face got stiff and still. She relaxed into the table. I thought she was crazy. Dr. Lexi had taken the knife and was sterilizing the blade. I was terrified for the not terrified Emma. She was probably terrified.

Dr. Lexi finished and was moving to Emma’s side. “Wait!” I called. Every head in the room turned to me. Except Emma’s, her eyes were closed. “Why don’t you try just asking her first? I’m sure whats coming is incentive enough.” Emma’s eyes popped open. I sighed.

“Why yes”, Simon mussed.

“No! No!”, Synthia shouted, “No! This is mine!”, she seethed. “You don’t get to come in here and ruin it!”, she hissed in my face.

Simon hauled her away from me. “Why don’t we ask, honey?”, He was whispering across the room. “Call 2900 for me!”, He called back to me.

I whipped out my phone and called the buttons for agent 2900. “Get in here. Room 5. 611 Simon. Maxin out.”, I said into the phone before hanging up. ‘661’ was code for help. So ‘661 simon’, meant help simon. But we never say “Help”, due to how weak that makes someone feel and look.

About a minute later a girl with red hair put into pigtails peeked through the door. Oh. It’s Agi. 2900. Huh. Agi... She was Degi and Fez young’s child. “Yes?” The girl said, interrupting my thought process.

“2900!” Simon called from the corner. Agi looked in that direction. “Restrain Madame Synthia.” Agi snapped her hand up and down, in a salute. She marched over and without hesitation took Synthia from Simon. Martial arts specialist. Agi was strong for someone who’s build was only 4’ 3”. Synthia is 5’ 9” so…

Emma whimpered from behind me, dragging my attention back to her. I spun fast enough to give my whiplash if I had long hair. Dr. Lexi was drawing Synthia’s chosen blade across Emma’s inner arm. Emma groaned as He pushed the blade into her arm, halfway between her elbow and wrist. It went in about a half inch. Blood leaked from her wound. I yelped.

“Dr.Lexi!!!”, I screamed. Every head in the room turned to catch Dr. Lexi leaning over Emma with a knife near her wound.

“Mr. Lexi!”, Simon shouted, appalled. “You are to walk to out of this room, and fetch Dr. Quad.”

“Yes Sir!” Dr Lexi rushed from the room, his waste coat fluttering behind him. I walked to Emma’s side fighting the urge to run. I examined the wound. It looked awful. Blood was all over the place. Synthia snarled, attempting to lunge forward, but Agi held her back. Agi strained to keep her still.

I called to Simon. “She’s getting out of control, and the girl is bleeding out!”

Synthia punched Agi, but Agi held her ground. There was a sickening crunch as Synthia’s fist made contact with Agi’s nose. Agi stumbled a bit, but Synthia didn’t get very far before Agi crashed into her. Agi and Synthia tumbled to the ground and hit the wall. A little fist fight broke out between them. Skippy, Skatzy, and Soryn, all were standing frozen with no idea who to help.

“Skippy! Skatzy! Soryn! Help this girl!” I screamed at them. “Skip, clean her wound, Skatz, Help Agi restrain your mother. Soryn, go help your father.”

Dr. Quad rushed into the room and screamed. “What is this?!?!” Everybody was scrambling around the room. Skatzy was lying on the ground motionless and covered in blood. Oh god. Synthia killed him. I ran to the place where Synthia and Agi were fighting. I pulled Synthia up off Agi and held her fast. Agi stood up and grabbed a syringe off the counter behind me, looking at me for permission to drug her. I nodded. Agi stuck the syringe into Synthia’s neck, as behind me I heard someone approach. It was Skippy. Skip leaned down and touched her brother’s neck, and sighed in relief. He must be alive then. Dr. Quad came over, done treating Emma’s wound, and began treating Skatz’s wounds.

Dr. Hazbrow walked in and sighed. “Yuk”, she said in response to all the blood.

“Jean?”, Simon asked from the corner of the room. Dr. Hazbrow turned at the mention of her name. “I need you and Maxin to take her to the adjoined room and interrogate her, without the means of violence, please. At least while we clean up.”

Jean saluted him, and picked Emma up with me and brought her to the next room. We sat her up and she groaned. I held her up while Jean sat in front of her and asked, “Do you know of the cure?” Emma nodded. “Do you know where it is located, or if it still exists?”

“Yes, and it does”, Emma’s trill voice responded.

“Ms. Gray, I am going to need more than, ‘yes, I know where it is located’, how about telling me where?”

“No”, Emma responded. “If I did that, then you would conduct all kinds of crazy experiments.” Emma shuddered before covering her mouth, realizing that she’d said too much.

Jean’s eyes widened realizing what she was imposing. “Oh. My. God.”

Aiden

When I arrived to the castle later that evening, I stepped out of the car and inhaled horrible scent. It was revolting, I felt oddly tired as I walked to the house. I called up the stairs to Emma to let her know that I was home, when there was no response I got a little worried and called her. Her phone rang from the dining room table. I ran in there and sure enough her phone was just sitting there on the table. I examined her shiny teal case that I had bought her for her birthday. She wouldn't have just left it if she went anywhere.I called Margrett to let her know that I couldn't find Emma. I was generally worried about her.

Margrett’s Shrill voice interrupted my thoughts, “ hello? This is Margrett Moore. how can I-”

“Margrett!”, I said into the phone interrupting her greeting.

“Mister Kachov”, Margrett’s voice called back. "how wonderful to hear from you”, she said. “ I was just wondering when I was going to hear back from-”

“Emma's gone missing!”

“Mister Kachov!”

“I went to school today, and when I returned home, her phone was on the table. She isn't here.”

At some point in the conversation, I'd mentioned the horrible smell in the driveway. Margrett thought that she may have been kidnapped. I could hear Margrett’s panic over the phone. we finished off the conversation, ending in her saying, “we will find her, Kachov, don't worry we'll find her”. but I knew better than to believe her.

I called a bunch of people I knew from school. I'd wondered if maybe any of them had heard from her. I called Zafrina Clarke, as she was quiet, and always observant. but she hasn't seen or heard from her since Monday. Next, I called Jack Faulkner, whose little sister Alicia answered the phone. Alicia hadn't heard from or seen Emma since Monday. Jack came into the room while we were still on the phone and confirmed my suspicion that he hadn't heard from or seen her since we left school together on Monday. I was growing suspicious after I hung up. I called Jess Lawson, whose boyfriend, Devon Turner answered the phone. “nope”, he’d said when I asked him. “ haven't seen her since lunch on Monday.” Jess said the same. I sighed after hanging up. there was only really four other people to call. I knew they would be of no use to me but I called them anyway. Upon calling Derek Hoof, I started to really doubt that anyone knew where she was. He answered the phone and I could hear Diznee, Carol and Eva in the background.

“Yah, Aiden. Wassup bruh? Callin’ ‘bout Emma? Jack said ye might’ call”, his scottish accent coming in strong over the phone. In the background I could hear Diznee’s high pitched, “Derek”, she was whining. “Put the effin’ phone down and come over here.” I sighed. “One sec.”, Derek’s voice called. “Gotta go”, he said. “I’ll let you know if I find out anything. And for the record”, he whispered. “I hate Diznee. I want Emma.” He hung up. I gasped.

I called Margrett with Derek’s words weighing down on me. “Don't worry. we have surveillance cameras at Emma's. We saw the men who took her. Derek was not among them. I wouldn't worry about him if I were you.”

“Who?!?!”, I couldn’t contain my angry gasp from coming out.

“Nobody you should concern yourself with. We'll catch them don't worry. We know exactly who they are. We know what car they drive oh, we know their license plate there's a little tracker in it, and it won't be that hard to find them. Don't concern yourself with it. Goodnight mister Kachov.” She hung up. Blast her.

Jean Hazbrow

The implications that the girl, Emma, might have the cure in her system, was too much for me to handle. I gasped, reeling in my emotions.

“Y-you…” I stuttered.

Emma nodded grimly. I knew it would be an issue, to retrieve this sensitive information. Never in a million years would I have imagined, that the King would place the cure in his own daughter. Never in a million years would I have imagined that the king would be so ruthless. That would be the last place I would ever check to look. That and in him. But of course he would never put it in himself oh, he would never risk getting killed for something that he had in his veins. But he got killed anyway. I thought spitefully to myself. Oh the irony. Our very own, Demitri Wesh, died in the car accident shortly after, crashing into the king. We lost someone that day. But the very next day, we gained someone so much more important.

Emma’s small voice asked, “well?”

I realized then, that I’d missed some question, lost in my own thoughts. “I’m sorry?”

“I asked”, she huffed. “If you were going to tell.”

I laughed a little, “You make it sound like you just got caught with your hand in the cookie jar, and you want to know wether or not I am going to tell your mom.” I laughed again. I was serious, once again as I said the next part. “As for your question, I am obligated to tell them any information that I learn. But I’m not especially sure wether or not to tell them this yet.”

She gulped. “My dear”, Maxin said “I have come to… like Emma, and I sincerely hope you will make the right choice”, he commented.

“Oh?”, I asked. We sat in silence for a bit. I broke the silence, “I've decided I'm not going to tell them, on one condition, you have to let me do my own experiments. They won't harm you in any way.”

Emma looked to Maxin for confirmation, And he gave a slight nod in response. She turned to nod at me, “Okay but I have a condition of my own.”

“And that is?”, I asked.

“I want to call Aiden. He’s my-” Emma’s response was cut off quickly with her short gasp of pain. Simon stood behind Emma, injecting a syringe into her neck.

“That will be enough. Thankyou Jean, Maxin.”, Simon nodded at us. I looked at my brother and nodded back. Simon, my brother, had given me instructions to keep her talking. Simon turned to Maxin. “Good job making her trust you.” Simon smiled sinisterly. Simon turned to Dr. Quad. “Find this Aiden character, and eliminate him. That ought to make her comply.”

“No!”, Emma cried. The drug mustn’t have taken effect yet. “Please”, she begged. “I’ll do any- anything”, she sobbed. “Just please, don’t hurt him. Please.”

“Correct. You’ll do anything… that I want you to do. But I will not be following what you want me to do.” He laughed.

“No”, Maxin said from behind me. “You will do what she says.”

“And why is that?”, He laughed.

“Or I’ll do this.” There was a click and and something cold pressed against the back of my head.

Maxin

I felt powerful and a little bit sad, pressing my gun to the back of Jean’s head. If Simon hurt Emma or Aiden I wouldn’t hesitate to blow her brains out. It was in my job description after all. Jean whimpered. The look on Simon’s face was priceless. A nervous laugh escaped his lips. He valued Jean, She was his sister after all. I looked at him. “Cancel the order to kill the boy, or I blow her brains out.”

He grabbed his phone. “Cancel the order to kill the Aiden kid.” He said shakily. “Yes sir.”, came the response through the phone. He hung up.

“Hand over the phone”, I told him. He gave it to me. I shoved Jean towards him. He hugged her. Jean whimpered. “Oh, shut it”, I told her. I cradled the unconscious Emma in one arm, and carried my gun in the other. “Walk slowly backwards into the other room. Mouths shut. I will shoot if either of you make so much as a peep.” They nodded and walked. Synthia was still unconscious. I nodded to her. “Go over there.” They obeyed silently. “Skippy, Skatzy, Soryn!” They all came running over. We made this plan about a week ago, when it was first released that Synthia and Simon were going to go after Emma. I wordlessly handed Emma off to Skippy. She took Emma in her arms, and motioned to walk from the room. I shook my head.

She leaned towards me. “What?”

“Follow the plan, but don’t wait for me”, I told her. Concern flooded her big brown eyes, but she nodded and left anyway. Skatz and Soryn followed. I walked to the cabinet and got rope and tied up, Synthia, Simon, Jean, and Agi. I injected all of them with the prefilled drug syringes from the cabinets. They were all asleep within minutes. I walked out of the room. I ran to the port, were Gonzales, who was in on the plan, was starting the van. I opened the door and jumped in. Gonzales started the ride to Emma’s.

Epilogue

Emma

(1 month later)

I woke up and Aiden stood over me, shaking me. “Aiden!” I cried. Aiden tried to shake the nightmare from me. I cried. “Shh”, he crooned. “Shh. It’s okay now.” He said. “It was just a dream.” It had been a month since Maxin returned me to him. Skippy, Skatzy, and Soryn were serving as my bodyguards. They stayed outside my room during the night. “Emma?” He asked, when my crying ended. “Are you going to want to move still? Now that they know the location of your home?”

I looked up at him and smiled. “‘The home is were the heart is’, and my heart is with you”, I responded. He smiled, gripped my hand and I got off my bed. Together we walked to the door. I opened it, and found myself face to face with a man dressed in all black that I recognized as Fez Young. He hit me across the face, sending me crashing into the wall. I hit my head, and the last thing I heard before the black swirled and took over, was Aiden’s piercing scream.

The End 

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:25 pm

This was a fun story to read.About the ending…is Emma going to die? Also,can we trust Aiden? In this story,Aiden comes off as a loving boyfriend,but often,people that we trust turn out to be monsters,like Emma’s Dad.At least,that’s what the story says.Do you think that maybe Emma’s Dad had a reason for his actions,a good reason that Emma doesn’t know about yet? Anyway, I hope you have a good day/night.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:42 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

When I walked into the school building Monday morning I immediately found Jess sitting with her boyfriend of 2 yearsI don't think of two years sounds the best. You could simply write since and then give some year. Taht gives you an opportunity to tell your readers when the story takes place. I mean the time period, Devon Turner. I walked over to them dodging a Freshman student with his shirt practically down to his knees. Ah that was a good description there. I sat down next to Jess gagging when I smelled the bag she was holding.

“What is that?”, I threw up a bit in my mouth.I am a bit confused about what she threw in her mouth. I would like a bit clarification about it, not rotten apples, at least.

“Why?”

“Derik dropped them off”, he replied.

“Ah.”, Derik Hoof was the number one bully in Reeve High. “Understood.” I went to get lunch. I ordered a “General Reeves Salad”, with OJ and apples. Everyone knew any Reeves’ Salad was better with apples in it. I walked back to the table and dropped off my tray.This went too fast I think. Like Emma ordered and got it in no time. You have got to slow the pace.

“I’m going to go find Aiden.”

“‘Kay”Okay, not kay, Jess said without even looking up. She was studying the pics of her and Devon at the rally from one year ago today… which meant today was supposed to be the rally until the notice went on of a half day, because of My dad’s (the king’s) parade.Jess seems to be an ignorant person and if she is not ignorant, then I guess she was very absorbed in the pictures. I found it a bit strange why Jess was suddenly seeing pics of one year ago. Like the declaration was made after they came to school, I guess. So, why did she take the album or whatever with her? Also, are pictures allowed in school? I am not very sure but Devon too seems to be a bit monotonous. Like everything is boring. I had that feeling here. I don't know if it was meant to be like that.

I stalked off to go find Aiden. I walked outside and stopped when I reached the edge of the blacktop. I looked around. He was around here somewhere.How did Emma really know that he was somewhere around there? You have got to work a bit on these minute details. Like you could insert a line saying she could feel his presence or something like that.

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“I wanted to surprise you for once.”

“Not hungry”, he said again, leaning down again. I dodged left again. It was his turn to growl.Okay, so the reason is not mentioned clearly but I do think that it has something to do with money... I am not very sure about it. Or maybe he was simply not hungry. Who knows. We often tend to see simple things as complex ones.

“I know. I am ze royale princesses’ teacher.” I gaped at him. ‘No way’ I mouthed. He smirked again. “Yes way”, he said.This was interesting. I am a bit confused if thid was a joke but it was interesting. Was he really her teacher? Doesn't seem so.

“I don't believe you”, I said just as the bell rang. We walked out to his car hand in hand. It was a half day, so we were leaving. Back to the castle. My castle? My home? Ugh. I hated being a princess. I hated it so much. My expression must have given away my thoughts because he stopped walking to hug me.Oh wait, he has his own car? Then that was not a problem there. I wonder why the princess went in his car indtead of her own.

“It’s ok”, he murmured into my hair.

“Except archery. Oh. I guess even that will be different with me being your teacher.”Maybe he is actually her teacher.

“Mh-hm. And what’s that?”

“Ha. Ha.”

“You do.”

“Gym”, classic one word answer.

“That’s your excuse every time”, I said. I pushed away from him. “Go shower. Change, whatever. I want to see if you even know what time to show up. ‘Teacher.’” He laughed, got in his car and sped away. I walked up the drive.They have a good relationship between them, often accompanied by some humorous comments and now I hope that their relationship will be like this but I don't think that id going to happen for long. Also, I am bit interested to know if their parents know about their relationship and their reactions to it. And are all in the kingdom treated as equal?

CHAPTER 2

I took the golf cart down to the archery range. My dad was forcing me to take archery, a sport that I hated (was really good at), but I was sure that if Aiden was my teacher I would enjoy it so much more. I pulled the cart into the parking lot where Aiden’s SUV was already parked. “Ah”, I squeaked. I parked the cart, and took my stuff out of the back.The king doesn't appear to be a good person as a father. I couldn't understand why archery. Like I am not too sure but the mention of SUV suggests that doesn't take place in ancient times. In olden days, archery was a means of protecting the kingdom and the kings and other royal members had to learn it. But I don't know if archery had a use at that time. Let's see where this goes. Seems like Aiden is actually the teacher. Teacher of same age. Interesting!

I walked out to the pavilion and threw my stuff on the bench. I walked to Aiden’s SUV and peered inside. He was sleeping. He had showered and changed. I laughed softly to myself. I crept around to the driver's side and pounded on his window. He jumped up. His hair was a disaster. I laughed at the sight of it. He scowled and opened the door. He stepped out and I stepped into him. “I told you I would surprise you for once.” This was quite funny. The first two lines felt a bit repititive after the first paragraph itself. I think you could just cut off those two lines or at least make it into a single line. This gave you a chance of describing the appearance of Aiden. You have to focus on descriptions too to make the readers visualize the characters. Like you mentioned his hair was a disaster. Was it only for the fact that he eas sleeping or his hair always remained a disaster? You have to use the chances to describe. You could describe the surroundings a bit more too.

“And you did.”

“So you’re really my teacher?”

“Yep.” He laughed at my disbelieving expression. “Really.” He took my hand and then we walked to the pavilion. “Pick up your bow, mount your arrow. Fire 3 arrows. I want to see what we need to work on.” I frowned. I picked up my bow, turned it tabletop and put an arrow in it. He pursed his lips. I grinned. This was going to be fun. I fired an arrow into the 6 point blue, 2 point white, and the other one I let fly to the left. Missed the target by a foot.I am not very sure but do we fire arrows? I have never heard the term fire arrows. Better shoot arrows. If you wanted to mean something else, that's another case though. However, i think you meant shoot arrows. It's definitely a bit confusing how Aiden got selected as the teacher. You will have to expand on it a bit. Maybe not here but later. Again I am not very sure, but as it is the lesson and Emma knows how to shoot arrows, I guess you have to use the actual terms here. Like loading an arrow is actually called nocking an arrow.

I grimaced. “Oof”, I said in fake disappointment. But really, I was so proud of my archery skills.Emma appears to be a bit ignorant. Like she didn't even try to hit the target in a decent manner. At least that is what appeared to me.

He shook his head, “Not gonna work.” I frowned. I fired another three. One into the 10 point, one into the 9, and another split the arrow that was in the 10. “29. Not bad. But your form. Is. Terrible.”Not gonna work. Although the word gonna dates back to the early 19th century, it was not frequently used back then. And for some reason, I do think that the story doesn't take place in present, I mean in 2021. I just pointed that out. If it takes place in 2021, no problem and if it doesn't, you should consider revising the word. I like the fact how Aiden didn't joke and became a bit serious and pointed out her form.

“No it's not!!!”, I huffed and stomped.

He laughed, and then his face turned dead serious. “Yes it is. And before you protest, I’m buying free time together.” I considered it. My face must have given away my pleasure, because he laughed and wrapped his arm around my waist. I sighed and leaned into him. We sat on the bench like that. I curled into his side. I must have fallen asleep because he woke me with a kiss. And a, “It’s six.”She was indeed a bit tired as we could see. By the way, what happened to the parade? I guess it has already taken place. I did expect a bit of that parade to be seen but I don't think that is going to happen. If the king didn't know about their relationship, he will actually be a bit disappointed with them. Liek Aiden let her sleep for quite some time and if we talk about the practice, it was almost negligible.

I burst upright. I knocked my head into Aiden’s face. “Holy-” I turned to face him to make sure he was ok. I shrieked when I saw that his nose was bloody. “Oh my god!!! I'm so sorry!” I lifted my shirt to try to get the blood of him.Oh no, this is definitely not a good thing happening here. We can see how much they love each other, especially Emma. She must have been careful but sadly, she wasn't. If she goes to wa war and shows this type of carelessness, her kingdom is going to lose.

I invited Aiden in for dinner tonight, as dad was out. I rolled my eyes. “Out” meant finding a ‘queen worthy’ girl to spend the next three years with him until I turned 20, and took the throne. Ugh. The phone rang. I went and answered it.The king doesn't seem to be a good person. Is Emma's mother dead? Or else why would the king go to find a person for him? I get a sense of tragedy here. That isn't the best thing when his own daughter is alive and she,(not too sure) regrets her mother's death. What I likrd is how you indicated her age. She is now 17 years old, I guess.

“Hi. This is Margrett Moore. Your father, the king...”, she added as if i didn’t already know who he was. “...Was in a tragic car accident. He couldn’t be saved…” her voice slipped away… “Last words… daughter… queen… Transaction?” I couldn’t do anything. “Emma?” I heard her ask, my vision went blurry. Tears flew down my face, landing in hot puddles at my feet. I dropped the phone into the puddle.Oh wait! That was actually tragedy. I didn't see it coming. That was quite a sudden thing here. We still haven't developed much emotions for the king, at least not much positive emotions, so I can't really feel for his death but I can feel Emma's grief. A king dying in a car accident is actually a bit strange but obviously, it is possible. Let's see if we get to see some details about how he died. Now, if I am not wrong, she will be the queen. I don't know if the age is mandatory but it appears to me that she will be the queen and I don't think dhe would like that.

“It w-was… Mar-Mar-Margrett Moore. My d-dad… he’s d-d-dead.” I sobbed. Aiden was shocked, and Silent. “His l-last w-words… I-I am going to-to be qu-queen.” I was hyperventilating now. I couldn’t stop, I just couldn’t stop.Well, the hyphen actually make it a bit hard to read. I do understand that those help in signifying the faltering but not so many. Better specify she was faltering.

Aiden let go of me, and ran to the counter, I heard him rummaging around in the cabinets. “Baby…” I sobbed harder. “Put this in your mouth. Drink this? Okay? Baby?” I did as he asked, and swallowed a pill. He guided me to the couch and I clung to him. Still sobbing. He look my wrist with two fingers and squeezed. I felt reality slipping. I was so tired. Everything went dark.So, Aiden loves him as much as she does. He checked
my pulse with two fingers will be better to write here. Looked my wrist is a bit confusing. I don't know if he gave the right pills to her because he too was devastated and maybe mistakenly, he gave her wrong pills. Let's see what happens next.

Don't worry. I will review the whole thing. I am submitting it for now because for some reason it's not getting saved and also the review length... It's getting magnificent. I will submit the others as comments.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Kz says...

"This went too fast I think. Like Emma ordered and got it in no time. You have got to slow the pace." - ok thx so much!

"Like everything is boring. I had that feeling here. I don't know if it was meant to be like that."- yah... I was bored at that time lol.

"Like you mentioned his hair was a disaster. Was it only for the fact that he eas sleeping or his hair always remained a disaster?" - Okay! Thanks! I will include that (it was because he was sleeping) ... lol.

Kz says...

"checked my pulse with two fingers will be better to write here", ok... so obviously i didn't write enough. um.. There is this pill called Xanax- (its a sedative- It can treat anxiety and panic disorder.) There is a pressure point, (its ALMOST in your wrist...) called Pressure point P-6, and Aiden was supposedly using that, along with the pill. so this way, she sleeps and less anxiety. ............................ so......................

Thanks for the clarifications. Oh I didn't know about that pressure point.... That makes sense then... I just wonder how powerful the pill is because she will have to go and see her father, i.e., the king soon.

I will be getting to the other parts soon :D

Kz says...

ok thankyou SO much for the review

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon