You and I

by IvoryRose

You call me love 

But we just met 

Am I really your love?

You call me beautiful 

On a photograph 

Am I really beautiful without the filter?

You call me sweet

After a smile 

Or compliment

But what if I am in a bad mood 

Am I still sweet?

Beautiful 

Perfect 

Cute 

It seems to mean nothing

Ugly

Too skinny

Too short 

Too young looking

Too mature looking 

It begins to be expected

Is an insult worth more than a compliment? 

No.

When you look to the person insulting you, it's because

We all have something 

Ugly 

Short 

Skinny 

Young or mature

We all have something 

Beautiful 

Perfect 

Cute

You’re the one that decides the worth of words 

You’re the one that looks in the mirror 

You’re the one that is the picture

And we are all beautiful

In real life and the picture.

OofOof1 wrote a review...

This poem is great, I really like much of this. The flow you gave the readers in this poem really stands out, plus I could make a song out of this while I was reading, so good job on that. Do I have any feedback, not really, so great job.

Okay that's all I'm going to say, goodbye.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...

It means that this poem is beautiful.

IvoryRose says...

Thank you (I love Mary Poppins and your username)

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:56 pm
Bellarke says...

I love this poem. It shows how I feel about myself.

The lines:

"But what if I am in a bad mood

Am I still sweet?

Beautiful

Perfect

Cute"

They show emotion amazingly, I love how you started a whole new line for the words. I think just like this when I am in a bad mood.

I didnt really see much wrong with this other than the fact that it could use a little more punctuation.

I love how you went from all the positive things to the negative within one sentence.

I am sorry this is so useless.

I loved this, keep writing,
~Bell.

IvoryRose says...

It's not useless at all. I think you're a talented poet so the fact that you like it means a lot to me. Thank you for the review! :)

Bellarke says...

sorry it posted twice!!!!

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:56 pm
Bellarke wrote a review...

The lines:

"But what if I am in a bad mood

Am I still sweet?

Beautiful

Perfect

Cute"

I am sorry this is so useless.

I loved this, keep writing,
~Bell.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:51 pm
26Gemini wrote a review...

I love this poem. This poem is big for me, it hits you in big ways. It hits you in the heart and that is what you need in a poem, emotion. Emotion that will do you a solid in poetry no matter what you are writing about and this evokes emotion in a big way. People can relate to this everyone has had a good comment on a picture or given a good comment, everyone has been given a bad comment or dished them out. Nowadays more than ever, this can be good or bad depending on the viewers perspective. You seem to also understand how these one to two word remarks do not seem genuine and blend together. I love how you represented this subject in poem form. :)

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 pm
Swetachowdhury0 says...

Hey IvoryRose,

This is a great poem showing today reality. Liked it and keep writing....

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi there IvoryRose! Niteowl here to review this poem.

First, a word about the stanza thing: Yes, it's a known bug, but there are some workarounds. Formatting poetry #3 is my favorite method, but there's other methods here: How to Format Poetry.

There's a good message here about doubting compliments, believing insults, and ultimately concluding that though we all have good and bad parts, you are the one who determines your self worth. I especially like the lines "Am I really beautiful without the filter?" and But what if I am in a bad mood/ Am I still sweet?"

I do get a little confused when the narrative switches from compliments to insults. In the beginning, we have "you" complimenting the speaker and the speaker doubting if they are sincere. But then we have a list of insults, and it's unclear where they're coming from. The same "you" who's giving compliments? The speaker themselves? Some other third party? I would think about how to make the source of the insults a little more clear.

I might also consider being a little more detailed with the compliments/insults. I think they'd be more interesting if they had a specific image attached to them, like "perfect smile" or 'beautiful eyes" (okay those are a little cliche, but you get the idea). Some more imagery tends to help a poem stand out.

Overall, I like the message of this. Keep writing! :D

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 pm
Swetachowdhury0 says...

Hey IvoryRose,

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:17 am
IvoryRose says...

Will I ever learn how to do stanzas on this site. NO BECAUSE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME. Sorry if I made you cross eyed there or gave anyone vision issues. ;-; hope the poem is still good.

26Gemini says...

It is great.

Once I had asked God for one extra or two extra inches in height but instead he made me as tall as the sky, so high that I could not measure myself.
— Malala