z

Young Writers Society


18+ Violence Mature Content

chapter 5. ​The Alsidny plantation part 1 of 4

by Irishpride13


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence and mature content.

The Alsidny plantation .5

Izzy Fang, born in 1840 to Henereta, lived a life shrouded in secrecy and faced numerous challenges. Her family name remains unknown, and her father was Philip Alsidny. Henereta, well aware of the dangers surrounding Izzy's true identity, went to great lengths to conceal her baby's gender for as long as possible. However, in 1852, as Izzy grew older, her physical transformation became apparent. Her once masculine muscular physique gradually took on a more feminine form, a transformation that others would envy. To maintain her hidden identity, she resorted to binding and other forms of subterfuge.

Despite her struggles, Izzy continued to work in the fields alongside her fellow slaves, obeying orders and doing what was necessary to survive. Starvation and punishment were constant threats, and the consequences of being discovered were too severe to bear. The talk of war hanging in the air only added to the uncertainty and unrest of the times. Izzy lived each day with a sense of trepidation, navigating the delicate balance between survival and the need to keep her true self hidden, until the year 1861.

Part 1

My mother worked in the big house, and when she returned home, she appeared weak and exhausted. She never wanted to discuss her day, and I respected her wishes. There was always a dark shadow looming over her, a constant presence that followed her around. As I grew older, I started piecing together the truth of what she was forced to endure, but I never pressed her to explain further. The weight of her experiences was evident, and I knew that some things were better left unspoken.

As I grew older, the driver took it upon himself to secretly teach us letters and numbers, ensuring that we received an education in secrecy. His rationale was that if circumstances were to shift in our favor, we could be of value to future masters. Unfortunately, the master eventually discovered his clandestine efforts, and the driver paid a heavy price for his kindness and determination—he was hung for his troubles.

After the incident, my role was changed, and I was reassigned to the stables. My increased knowledge and skills made me a more valuable asset to the plantation. I was entrusted with assisting the stable master and occasionally accompanying the walking bosses on their rounds. I would take notes and assist with inventory tasks, learning the ins and outs of managing the livestock and supplies. Additionally, as part of my expanded education, I was taught how to ride a horse. The overseer emphasized the importance of keeping up with the walking bosses, and being able to ride alongside them was a necessary skill. It ensured that I wouldn't slow them down or hold them back during their duties.

As time passed, I gradually earned the respect of the walking bosses and the stable master. Some of them discovered my secret, but surprisingly, they chose to keep it to themselves. It seemed that their loyalty was divided. Some of the walking bosses were solely motivated by monetary gain, while others had personal ties to the master of the property. This realization opened my eyes to the complex dynamics at play within the plantation hierarchy.

Then one fateful day, a platoon or so of Confederate soldiers set up camp in our fields. The master of the plantation issued orders for us to serve them as if they were him, treating them with utmost deference. I watched in horror as some of the men, with an evil gleam in their eyes, leered at my mother and the other women on the property. A sickening feeling settled in the pit of my stomach, as I realized the vulnerability and danger they were subjected to in the presence of these soldiers.

Days passed by, and the walking bosses made a conscious effort to steer clear of the Confederate soldier camps, particularly when I was riding on horseback with them. While I was still considered a slave, it became evident that my usefulness to the walking bosses outweighed any disdain they may have held towards me. By taking on their tasks and responsibilities, I allowed them to be idle and indolent, enjoying the benefits of my labor.

To my surprise, even the more hostile walking bosses found value in our arrangement. My presence made their jobs easier and allowed them to avoid exerting themselves. They understood the importance of keeping my true identity concealed, acknowledging that having someone with literacy and numeracy skills benefited their reporting tasks. They recognized the usefulness of having a capable and knowledgeable individual like me around, and they were determined not to let anyone take away such a valuable tool.

Sadly, like all good things, this arrangement eventually came to an end. The shack I called home and shared with my mother became empty, as she never returned. Consumed by worry and desperation, I mustered the courage to approach one of the walking bosses and inquire about my mother's whereabouts. With a somber expression, he informed me that she had been sent to the camps. He warned me that if I didn't want to share her fate, I should keep quiet, as my voice could potentially give away my secret.

Another night passed, and still my mother hadn't returned. Overwhelmed with worry, I embarked on a search for her. Eventually, I discovered her in a tent at the edge of the camp. The sight was horrific—she had been subjected to.

I brought her home and did my best to clean her up. I stayed by her bedside, tending to her and offering whatever comfort I could. The world seemed even more cruel in that moment, as if it was mocking our pain. Suddenly, the sound of knocking echoed through the room, followed by the crash of the flimsy doors being kicked open. "Knock, knock," a tall, bare-chested man bellowed, his voice filled with a mix of arrogance and cruelty.

I was dressed in my work clothes, not bothering to change for a day or so. "There you are. My boys and I are bored," the disgusting man sneered, grabbing his crotch. "You left the camp last night," he said, his gaze leering at me. His eyes briefly glanced towards my mother, who was breathing rapidly and looking around with fear in her eyes. "Who is this pretty thing?" he asked, his tone filled with sinister curiosity. My mother tensed up beside me, and a knot formed in my stomach. "That's my son," she replied, her voice trembling. The soldier and his two companions took a step closer to me. "You're lying, woman. I have eyes. What is she hiding? That's no boy," he declared, suspicion and malice dripping from his words. Instinctively, I stepped back, desperately searching for a way to escape the dangerous situation that was unfolding before me.

My heart pounded in my chest as I witnessed the fierce bravery of my mother. With a concealed knife in hand, she lunged at one of the men, pushing him away to create an opening for me. Her voice filled with urgency, she screamed, "Run, Izabel!" In that moment, fear and adrenaline surged through me. I seized the opportunity and fled, my feet carrying me as fast as they could. As I glanced back, I saw the man taking the knife, and a warm liquid splashed onto me, causing a chilling realization to sink in.

I scrambled through the opening created by my mother, her screams echoing in my ears. My feet pounded into the wet ground as I raced forward, the full moon casting an eerie light on the scene. The shouts of the men carried through the cold air, a chilling reminder that they were coming for me. Their howls pierced the night, sending a shiver down my spine. They released their dogs, unleashing them to hunt me down. I knew escape was unlikely, and going back was not an option. The fate that awaited me at their hands was far worse than death.

As I ran towards the distant forest, I could hear the distinct shouts of the men I had left behind with my mother. Tears streamed down my face, knowing that I had just left her to die, at her demand. Exhaustion weighed heavily on my shoulders, threatening to pull me down. But i fought the Push onwards. I had to keep moving i have to find.

Then, to my horror, I realized I had nowhere to go, nothing to rely on. I was as good as dead, with the exhaustion consuming me. I knew that once I stopped running, I would be taken back to the camp, back to the torment and suffering. But I couldn't bear the thought of returning to that life. I was determined to fight, to resist, to defy the fate that awaited me. With a surge of determination, I pushed myself further, refusing to surrender to despair. I would find a way, no matter how slim the chances, to escape this nightmare and find a glimmer of hope

The lantern lights of the men grew closer, casting an eerie glow, while the barking of the dogs grew louder, sending shivers down my spine. Tears mingled with the coldness of the night, as despair engulfed me. My body grew weak, and I stumbled, unable to run any further. The dogs closed in, their barks and howls echoing through the air, while the soldiers' voices filled the night with their sinister intent. I understood their desires, and I knew it was anything but good. At that moment, my only hope was to provoke them into killing me, to end my suffering and escape this cruel world.

Summoning every ounce of strength within me, I stood my ground, my legs quivering with both fear and resolve. I faced the men and their menacing dogs, knowing exactly what they desired. But I was determined not to succumb to their vile intentions. My mother's words of a better world reverberated in my mind, providing me with the courage to defy these monsters. With a makeshift weapon in hand, I gripped a nearby stick, fully aware of its limited effectiveness. The men advanced, their mocking laughter and taunting words fueling my determination to fight back. I steeled myself for the impending confrontation, ready to defend my life with every ounce of my being.

The tall soldier's dark chuckle resonated through the air as he towered over me, his malicious grin etched on his face. But I stood firm, refusing to display any hint of fear. I was resolute in facing whatever awaited me. However, in that moment, a Stoic deep voice pierced through the forest, brimming with unwavering determination. "Interesting, very interesting. Girl, you shall have your wish."

The soldiers fanned out, their senses heightened, while the shorter one barked orders at the dogs, commanding them to Seek. To my astonishment, the dogs cowered, their tails tucked between their legs as they whimpered and one even retreated. They refused to obey.

The voice from the woods spoke once more, its authority booming through the air, sending a surge of adrenaline through my veins. “Girl you best layed down and stay out of my way cover your head for good Measure.” One of the soldiers demanded to know who was there, and a thunderous response echoed back, "Your deaths!" A deafening roar erupted, reverberating through the forest and shaking my teeth, I caught a glimpse of a figure that appeared almost human. His arms stretched unnaturally long, his muscles bulging with raw power. At that moment, all hell broke loose.

The creature surged forward with astonishing speed, catching the soldiers off guard and plunging them into a state of panic. Their feeble attempts to raise their guns were in vain as the creature moved with such swiftness that it became a blur of motion and sound. One soldier, driven by foolish bravery, recklessly lunged towards it, but I heeded the creature's advice and quickly dropped to the ground, lying on my stomach and covering my head in a desperate attempt to protect myself.

The creature towered above, its visage a terrifying blend of wolf and man, emanating an overwhelming aura of power. With a swift and forceful motion, it delivered a devastating blow to the soldier, who crumpled to the ground, clutching his wounded neck in sheer agony. The sound of wet gurgles filled the air as lifeblood drained from his body.

In a swift and brutal act, the creature brought its heavy foot down on the soldier's head. the sickening crunch of bone filling the air. The remaining soldiers, paralyzed with fear, could only watch as their comrade met a gruesome fate.

Ignoring the feeble shot fired at it, the wolf-like being emitted a low growl, displaying its indifference to the futile resistance. It effortlessly stepped over me, its towering presence making me feel insignificant and exposed. Its limbs resembled sturdy tree trunks, and its movements possessed an uncanny grace that defied natural boundaries.

One of the soldiers frantically tried to reload his weapon, but his efforts were in vain. The creature's agility and speed were unmatched. With a sudden and powerful leap, it pounced on the soldier, sinking its razor-sharp jaws into his vulnerable neck and shoulder. The soldier's agonizing scream pierced the night as the wolf-like being violently shook its head, tearing the man's head from his body.

As the horrifying scene played out, another soldier mustered his courage and lunged at the creature, plunging his bayonet into its side. Simultaneously, he fired his weapon at point-blank range. However, to his astonishment, the wolf-like being merely chuckled, its laughter sending shivers down my spine. It seemed completely unaffected by the attack, as if it were merely playing with its prey.

In a swift retaliation, the creature struck back, delivering a forceful blow to the soldier's chest with its massive Fist, sending him hurtling several feet away with a sickening crunch. Only two soldiers remained, attempting to flee, but the creature seized the bayonet and rifle that had been embedded in its side and hurled them like spears. One soldier was impaled by the weapon, while the last soldier let out a chilling scream as he ran. The wolf-like creature chuckled, seemingly amused by the entire spectacle.

As the chaos subsided, the creature turned its gaze towards me, extending a bloodied, clawed hand. Surprisingly, In this , despite having just witnessed its brutal dispatch of the soldiers. Cautiously, I reached out and gripped its hand, uncertain of what would come next. 

This isn't all of chapter 5 i will be adding more very soon 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 464
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:06 pm
Memo wrote a review...



Hai again! :3

Woohoo Izzy! Like I said before she is my favorite character. I think its neat to get a backstory for her! Its very sad tho, but her hardships made her who she is! Her relationship with Fang is also rlly neat.

I wish there was more to her feelings throughout tho. This doesnt capture much emotion from her pov! And I imagine there would be a lot of those. I think its a great backstory and it has good scenes, but its lacking the connection to Izzy herself. If I had to describe it, I would say infodumpy. I dont dislike that! I just wish there was more to it since shes important to the story..

This was a cool chapter tho! A little short, but thats okay. It was confusing sometimes too, but that was already mentioned.

~ Memo




Irishpride13 says...


Part to coming soon ???



Irishpride13 says...


Part 2 of Chapter 5 is going up in a few



User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 22538
Reviews: 245

Donate
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:20 pm
Spearmint wrote a review...



Hey, it's mint, back with a review! ^-^ And I see we get a bit of Izzy's backstory this time, nice! (Well. Not really nice, as it seems awful and terrifying at times, but I was curious. >.>) I'd been thinking Fang had turned her on accident, as he did for Sarah, but it seems that Izzy was still human when Fang rescued her. Perhaps he turned her later out of sympathy, because she had nowhere to go?
I can actually see the similarities between Sarah and Izzy's stories now. They were trapped in bad situations, but still showed vigor and determination, and perhaps this quality is why Fang rescued them.

Anyhow, I'll get into specifics now!

Her family name remains unknown, and her father was Philip Alsidny.

I thought Izzy's family name was Alsidny? Or were you referring to her mother, Henereta? (If it's the latter, some clarification might be good, like: "Henereta's family name remains unknown, and...")

Henereta, well aware of the dangers surrounding Izzy's true identity, went to great lengths to conceal her baby's gender for as long as possible.

Hm? I could be missing something, but what exactly are the dangers surrounding her identity? Like, are you talking about her being the daughter of the plantation owner, or her being female?

The talk of war hanging in the air only added to the uncertainty and unrest of the times. Izzy lived each day with a sense of trepidation, navigating the delicate balance between survival and the need to keep her true self hidden, until the year 1861.

It's neat how this is all grounded in a historical setting! I don’t generally read historical fiction, but I’m reading this, so I guess you must be pulling it off well. XD

I watched in horror as some of the men, with an evil gleam in their eyes, leered at my mother and the other women on the property.

Disgusting, but unfortunately historically accurate. :(

They recognized the usefulness of having a capable and knowledgeable individual like me around, and they were determined not to let anyone take away such a valuable tool.

This sentence makes me realize just how aware Izzy is of her surroundings. She knows her circumstances and is intelligent enough to keep being valuable. But still, I feel so bad for her. :/

As I glanced back, I saw the man taking the knife, and a warm liquid splashed onto me, causing a chilling realization to sink in.

Ah </3

But i fought the Push onwards. I had to keep moving i have to find.

This part didn’t really make sense to me. I think there might be some typos or words missing?

The voice from the woods spoke once more, its authority booming through the air, sending a surge of adrenaline through my veins. “Girl you best layed down and stay out of my way cover your head for good Measure.” One of the soldiers demanded to know who was there, and a thunderous response echoed back, "Your deaths!"

Ooh, this part was very dramatic :D I know who that is already! =P
One minor thing: I feel like the first thing Fang says should be split into two sentences. Like so: “Girl, you best lay down and stay out of my way. Cover your head for good measure.” (They seem like two complete thoughts.)
Also, while this part is definitely exciting as-is, I feel like breaking it into shorter paragraphs could make it feel even more exciting! Like, you could make the soldier demanding to know who’s there a separate paragraph. Just a suggestion, though. ^^

The wolf-like creature chuckled, seemingly amused by the entire spectacle.

Wow, Fang is terrifying in action. >.> I expected nothing less, honestly. I wonder how Izzy feels? Is she shocked? Scared? Numb?

Overall, this was an interesting read! I was only confused in a few parts, which I’ve noted in my review. :] The chase scene and Fang attacking the soldiers was full of action, and I look forward to more! Have a wonderful day/night! =D




Irishpride13 says...


I'm glad you enjoyed the first part. Sorry for going 'ghost.' It's been a bit hot where I live, and heat exhaustion takes its toll after work. I appreciate constructive criticism, and I do back and try to fix it. As well as
improving your future writing



Spearmint says...


Oof yeah, the heat drains my energy too >.< Glad to see you back!



Irishpride13 says...


part two of chapter 5 is going up in a few




You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World