z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Sorcerers of Hisderat, Chapter 9.6

by KateHardy


“Full confession, neither do I” said Harry, “but the name ‘fibo’ somehow sounds very familiar.”

“Maybe its some beat or song from that time then,” said Rose, "if you guys really want to entertain the dance idea. I'm still not convinced."

“Yeah, let's give it a shot. Its not like we have much else. Besides, fibo sounds familiar somehow,” said Harry, “It's just one of those on the tip of the tongue moments. Fibo, fibo, libo, tibo, gibo, ribo, fibora, fedora…ahh…I don’t know.”

“I think we can rule out fedora,” said Terry, with a smile, "unless there's some kind of hat key for this entrance.”

“Yeah no, uhh Fibo, Fibara, Fibia, Fibonta,” continued Harry.

“Wait a minute, Fibonata. I’ve heard of something like that too,” said Terry, “it must be something like that.”

“Fibnoati, Fibonaki, I remember something along those lines,” said Harry, giving himself a knock on the head. “Why can’t this stupid brain remember it? It’s in there somewhere, right at the top but it refuses to come out.”

“I get that,” said Terry, also trying to rack his brains to see why Fibonati seemed so familiar.

“Gotcha,” said Harry, punching the nearest shelf, and then retracting it with an 'Ouch". " That’s some strong wood right there."

“Spill,” said Rose.

“The Fibonacci sequence, that’s why it sounded so familiar,” said Harry. Terry nearly banged his head against the wood after Harry. Of course. That should've been obvious. A beautiful sequence for a lovely little riddle.

“That's gotta be referring to that, but tap to the beat of the Fibonacci sequence, that part uhh…I have no idea what to be doing,” said Terry.

“Maybe we just like tap on the floor in the order of Fibonacci,” suggested Rose, “I mean that’s a start. If the dance method is true, or else there could be some sort of hidden number pad in the shelf or something...okay, maybe not, this was a hundred years ago."

“Hmm…alright, let's start the dance method, one of you keep watch, we don’t want anyone to think that we got suddenly possessed or something,” said Terry.

“I’ll keep watch,” said Rose, moving to the gap in the shelves that led towards the fantasy section and standing guard.

“Guess we tap dance?” asked Harry.

“Just tap,” said Terry.

“Yes that,” said Harry, nodding, and began tapping.

The two of them started slow on 1, then 1 again and 2. By the time things reached 13, they were tapping along like actual possessed people, their feet getting faster. They continued to tap faster and faster until Terry’s feet finally started to protest in pain and he slowed down, before he eventually lost count and things came to a halt.

“Well that was…” began Terry.

“A workout,” said Harry.

“I was going to say useless but that too,” said Terry.

“Hmm, maybe that other tempo line is more important than we thought,” said Harry, "or it just has nothing to do with dance. It is a ridiculous way to sneak into something."

“It certainly looks that way,” said Terry, nodding, “we’ll have to change our approach a bit.”

“Maybe the tempo thing means that we have to tap at a steady rate or something?” asked Harry. "Give this dance theory one final shot."

“Umm, sure, why not? Let’s try that and see if it makes any difference. Doesn't hurt to cover all the bases,” said Terry, “after a few minutes though. My leg is now rebelling against me.”

“Mine too,” said Harry, with a smile and leaned against the shelf. Not knowing what else to say, Harry turned away to study his toes.

Terry let out a sigh of relief as Harry turned away. That was headed towards territory he'd rather avoid. They stood in an uncomfortable silence, Terry lost in thought as he waited for the pain in his leg to subside.

“Shall we try it again then?” said Harry, breaking the minute or so long silence that had settled over them.

“Sure,” said Terry, pushing himself off the shelf that he’d been leaning against. The two of them started tapping again, this time starting slow and continuing slow, trying to match each other’s beats as much as possible. It wasn't a perfect beat, but Terry hoped it would be good enough.

This continued for a good minute of high intense tapping, the numbers they were tapping out starting to get ridiculous. Terry was ready to give up on the idea. Who on Earth dances their way into a secret entrance anyway? This wasn't made my Willy Wonka.

Then out of nowhere, a small mechanical whirr could be heard followed by the sounds of stone scraping against stone. It was an odd sound, almost as if magic had once upon been used as a muffler but had now worn off.

A small section of tile suddenly started to slide into the rest of the floor. A few seconds later, a large black hole leading to who knows where had opened up right in the middle of the library.

“Well that worked,” said Harry.

“Did you guys get it?” said Rose, speaking in a stage whisper from where she was watching for any wandering civilians.

“Sure looks like it,” said Harry, also in a stage whisper.

“You do realize whispering like that is pointless right?” said Terry.

“I do," said Harry, quickly moving past that subject, "so, down we travel?"

“Let's hope so, ” said Terry. He walked right into the hole. The floor fell out from under him at alarming speed as the darkness swallowed him.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:20 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi Harry,

Mailice here again with a short review to finish chapter 9! :D

So we have now reached the last part of the ninth chapter and this also ends the journey through the puzzle.

I didn't expect that the dance would lead to a hole opening up. It makes me wonder who this someone was who wrote this puzzle. Probably someone very eccentric.

Now we have reached the end of the chapter. In general it was a good chapter, you already divided the parts in such a way that the trio analysed each stanza in each part and came up with the solution. You coupled it with humour and a structure that I liked. Sometimes, I felt a transition was missing and, as I mentioned before, the vividness of the setting. That's definitely something you did well at the beginning of the story, but at some point it got lost.

Terry's POV was well chosen and I'm still curious how it will develop. But I also found that he fell asleep a bit around the middle of the chapter, that you couldn't see his thoughts as much. I thought that was a shame because they were actually sort of setting up a new mystery, and a sort of second plot path that was going on behind the protagonists at the moment.

Something that probably many here like, and I still have to get used to, are the short parts of the chapter that always appear. You're not usually the only one, and I think it has its advantages when you read it on your mobile phone, but I'm honestly not a fan of it. It gives me this feeling like I'm reading a weekly manga that sometimes seems a bit stretching and sometimes seems a bit shorter. The pace is adjusted to make it the most lucrative for the writer. I'm not talking about you, but I'm trying to illustrate it somehow. Let's explain it this way; you start the car to drive from your driveway across the road to come back to a stop where the bakery is. That's why it's so hard to write a single review for such a short text. I think the reviews all together for one chapter with all the parts there becomes one big review.

So my plan will then be to read chapter 10 on Monday and the previous of chapter 11 on Tuesday. Please tag me if more chapters appear in the future then! :D

One other point I noticed while reading:

“Fibnoati, Fibonaki, I remember something along those lines,” said Harry, giving himself a knock on the head. “Why can’t this stupid brain remember it? It’s in there somewhere, right at the top but it refuses to come out.”

Maybe Harry should take his mind off it for a moment, have an ice cream and think about possible outcomes of his favourite sport before he sits down to it and comes up with the solution. The longer you try to remember something, the harder it becomes to find it, because the brain then opens up more and more concepts and memories. Even with problem solving, it is better to let the problem rest and go at it again, a few hours later.... Yes actually I just wanted to say that Harry sounds like a dictionary at the moment. :D

Have fun writing!

Mailice




KateHardy says...


Thank youu for the review!!

Oh yeah, this one started out with lots of little thoughts, but when I picked it up again from a point where I was stuck at for a good few months, I think I ended up decreasing the little thoughts without even meaning to, I def need to add some more in.

xD, the short parts are kind of encouraged by how longer things don't get reviewed, and this one does have some big chunks, with pretty much all the chapters clocking in around 3k to as high as 5k words for the really big ones so I've taken to splitting things up into six, seven hundred word chunks :D But hmm, if you don't like that, I'd be fine if you just left a review per chapter :D For this story at least, I do release all the chapter parts at once cause unlike Survival, most of the scenes don't work well on their own :D So don't feel like you need to leave a review for each part if you don't like it :D

Also woohoo, I'll look forward to those, chap 12 and 13 are written so I'll post them quite soon and remember to tag you :D And I think the new enthusiasm for this story lately has made me want to finish this enough that I can finally get through my writer's block on chap 14 so with any luck I can update this regularly at least once a week :D





Yeah, I think it's also just to do with the fact that I read way too fast, and I think I'll just wait until two or three parts are out and then I'll write three little compact reviews, or one big one at the end. Because I always like to have a focus on the whole work and not just on one part. It could be, for example, that there is something that is somehow unnecessary for each reader, but is the missing link in a plot twist 100 chapters further on. :D



KateHardy says...


:D



User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:45 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Right I'm finally here! Let's get cracking so I'm ready for chapter 10 :)

“I think we can rule out fedora,” said Terry, with a smile, "unless there's some kind of hat key for this entrance.”

Terry's warmed to him quite quickly - maybe he could smile despite himself, or almost smile? I think you could play out the sort of animosity between them for a while longer. Enemies to friends kind of thing.

“Wait a minute, Fibonata. I’ve heard of something like that too,” said Terry, “it must be something like that.”

Again, the must is very confident, why do they all seem to know what's going on all the time xD

“Maybe we just like tap on the floor/qpte in the order of Fibonacci,” suggested Rose, “I mean that’s a start. If the dance method is true, or else there could be some sort of hidden number pad in the shelf or something...okay, maybe not, this was a hundred years ago."

“Hmm…alright, let's start the dance method, one of you keep watch, we don’t want anyone to think that we got suddenly possessed or something,” said Terry.[/quote
Is this really the natural conclusion for them to come to? If it's not the answer, fair enough but why not have them guessing for a little while longer?

I also feel this is the last we hear about Rose for a while - is she really the kind of character to keep silent through all of this? I know she's keeping watch, but maybe she could poke her head around at some point.

This wasn't made my Willy Wonka.

I think you mean made by ;)

Ok chapter 9 is at an end! I think it needs a bit of slowing down, or at least maybe sit down and work out exactly what parts are necessary and streamline it a little bit :) I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this though! Personal preference would be to drop down the Harry/Rose romance for a few chapters so as the reader you almost feel like maybe you imagined it? And then when you bring it back again it works really well.

That's all for now <3

Icy




KateHardy says...


Thank youu for another review!!!

Ah yes...looking through all the reviews for chapter nine, I can see chapter nine's gonna be one of those that requires a lot of work.

And ooohh...that's something I'll keep in mind. Chapter 10 at the moment is already written...but hmm....the later ones are certainly going to have a bit of action coming up and that will get sidelined quite a bit for a while...and we cut back to Evelyn soon too...prolly Chapter 11.

Let's see. Thanks for sticking with this again!! Chapter 10 will be out pretty soon...I've already got them as drafts in the publishing center..but I just wanna read through them again and do any last minute fixing based on the feedback from chapter 9. :D

Thanks again!!



User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 22538
Reviews: 245

Donate
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:12 am
View Likes
Spearmint wrote a review...



Hi Harry! Whoo, so I've made it to the end of chapter 9... and it appears that you've left us on quite a cliffhanger here-- I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what happens in the next chapters! C: Alrighty, on to the review...

First off, if some bystanders happened to pass by when Harry and Terry were listing all these variations of "fibo," I could totally imagine them just giving the team a weird look or something XDD that part really made me laugh ^^ Honestly, reading these chapters always brings a smile to my face, and I think the mix of action and humor you use is awesome =D

Ah and now for a small note; to me it sorta felt like Rose disappeared in the middle of the chapter part, when Harry and Terry are trying out the Fibonacci tapping. If you want to keep the focus on them, I think it does work, but maybe just keep that in mind in case you find a good way to insert Rose in there? >.> I just feel like if it was me keeping watch, I'd definitely check in on those two once in a while and see if they've made any progress yet :P Not too big a deal though I think, and up to you, of course! ^-^

They continued to tap faster and faster until Terry’s feet finally started to protest in pain and he slowed down, before he eventually lost count and things came to a halt.

Oh gosh yup, tapping that fast certainly sounds tiring... The things they do for this riddle! xD

Who on Earth dances their way into a secret entrance anyway? This wasn't made my Willy Wonka.

Oop and just a tiny typo here! "my" should probably be "by" c:

Then out of nowhere, a small mechanical whirr could be heard followed by the sounds of stone scraping against stone. It wasn’t an odd sound, almost as if magic had once upon been used as a muffler but had now worn off.

Okay, first point: I can't believe that actually worked! =0 That's gotta be one of my new favorite ways to secure secret underground rooms-- make people tap (dance) on the entrance to get in xD
Second point: I was a little confused as to what exactly you meant by "wasn't an odd sound." I feel like the description would work just as well without that part, but that could just be me! ^^

Alrighty, so it looks like the team has solved the first part of the riddle... as always, this was super fun to read, and I hope you keep writing!! Have a wonderful day/night!! =D




KateHardy says...


Thank youuu for the review!!

I'm glad you liked it!!

Also whoops...I think that was supposed to be "It was an odd sound"...

Thanks again!!



Spearmint says...


Ah, okay!! Thanks for the reply!! ^-^



KateHardy says...


No prob!!



Random avatar

Points: 10954
Reviews: 67

Donate
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:17 pm
deleted32 wrote a review...



Hiya Ashlyn here for a review!! As always, please keep in mind that this review is not intended to offend you or make your writing look bad!

“Full confession, neither do I” said Harry, “but the name ‘fibo’ somehow sounds very familiar.”

Harry eh? Huh, wonder where I've heard that name before....
“Yeah, let's give it a shot. Its not like we have much else. Besides, fibo sounds familiar somehow,” said Harry, “It's just one of those on the tip of the tongue moments. Fibo, fibo, libo, tibo, gibo, ribo, fibora, fedora…ahh…I don’t know.”

That really clues me into Harry's personality.
I mean, there's many characters who'd get names or terms mixed up but there's something about the way he went from Fibo, to Fedora then of course to admitting that he didn't know xD that just seems to be something that's distinctive to Harry. Idk how to describe it-it just seems like a nerdy and confident vibe rolled into one.
“Maybe we just like tap on the floor in the order of Fibonacci,” suggested Rose, “I mean that’s a start. If the dance method is true, or else there could be some sort of hidden number pad in the shelf or something...okay, maybe not, this was a hundred years ago."

“Hmm…alright, let's start the dance method, one of you keep watch, we don’t want anyone to think that we got suddenly possessed or something,” said Terry.

“I’ll keep watch,” said Rose, moving to the gap in the shelves that led towards the fantasy section and standing guard.

“Guess we tap dance?” asked Harry.

“Just tap,” said Terry.

“Yes that,” said Harry, nodding, and began tapping.

I get the impression that Harry, Terry they rhyme. Huh. and Rose, have known each other for some time duh, I mean, there's a whole set of chapters before this one but shhhh pretend this is relevant. There's something so...symmetrical? Grounded? About their interactions. That commentary aside, xD the suggestion of tap dancing is pretty fun xD.
“Mine too,” said Harry, with a smile and leaned against the shelf. Not knowing what else to say, Harry turned away to study his toes.

He admits exhaustion with a smile :) He's really something else (I mean that in a good way of course), isn't he?
Aaaand that concludes this review! I hope you found it helpful in someway <3
BROUGHT TO YOU BY...
Image




KateHardy says...


Thank you for the review!! :D


Random avatar
deleted32 says...


Np <333



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 1321
Reviews: 26

Donate
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 am
View Likes
SoullessGinger wrote a review...



Hi, Harry!

Ell here with a review! I've been reading through the Sorcerers of Hisderat for the past couple of weeks to get the full feel of it. It really is a reflection of your character. You also have a very unique, refreshing writing style. I can always count on a consistent representation of each characters' personality. Harry and Rose's dynamic is wonderful and I'm curious to see whether they remain at this stage in their friendship, or move on... (your choice of genres has me hopeful that we'll get to see some more cute Harry/Rose interactions). It was so interesting to see Terry working with the two of them, and I must say, I was a little surprised that he gets annoyed at their antics... He seems like an easy-going kind of guy, but that might just be because we haven't gotten to see all of his personality yet. Also, I loved the interaction of the woman on the roof (I cannot for the life of me remember her name right now, so I'm sorry!) checking on her associates, it was very humanizing and created a complex cast of characters that I think will move beyond the standard good/evil situation. Okay, on to this chapter's review!

“It's just one of those on the tip of the tongue moments. Fibo, fibo, libo, tibo, gibo, ribo, fibora, fedora…ahh…I don’t know.”


This is so Harry, I can't even- Anyway, the point is, you do an EXCELLENT job of consistent, unique character voices.

“I think we can rule out fedora,” said Terry, with a smile, "unless there's some kind of hat key for this entrance.”


HAHA! Their jokes are growing on himmmm... This is a win :)

“The Fibonacci sequence, that’s why it sounded so familiar,” said Harry.


Very clever! I love the riddles and rhymes.

“Hmm, maybe that other tempo line is more important than we thought,” said Harry, "or it just has nothing to do with dance. It is a ridiculous way to sneak into something."


Maybe the creator of the riddle has a sense of humor or loved tap dance... We would get along, tap dance is elite...

Terry let out a sigh of relief as Harry turned away. That was headed towards territory he'd rather avoid. They stood in an uncomfortable silence, Terry lost in thought as he waited for the pain in his leg to subside.


Ah yes, the awkward silence of hanging out with a new person- one's own personal nightmare. I like that you included it, because this definitely adds the relatability factor, and shows us that although they are international magical secret agents, they're still very awkward when it comes to new people.

This wasn't made by Willy Wonka.


Are we sure about that? XD

“Let's hope so, ” said Terry. He walked right into the hole. The floor fell out from under him at alarming speed as the darkness swallowed him.


Now this is familiar... I seem to recall a similar situation going on over in Aster-Oyd...
lmao, but this was a great ending to the Chapter Nines, I'm excited for the next installment!

Overall, it was very good, consistent with previous themes, and character voices. My one critique would be working on the flow of banter and humor. You do a great job right now, but I think getting that balance right could add a lot to this story. Loved it!

-Ell




KateHardy says...


Thank youuu soo much for the review!!

And ahh, I'm always really happy when I see a like on one of these and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :D




while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind