Home » Literary works » Short Story » General

The End

by GreyMatter

Writing Prompt: 

1.You have spent the last 6 years as the only human on Earth when one night you return to your home to see footsteps leading inside and the front door ajar.

2. Use the 'corpse flower' somewhere in your story.

It smelled of rotten corpse.

I wondered if it was the right place. Where there were jasmines, now stood a 10 foot flower. Its petals were deep green on the outside but dark burgundy red on the inside, as if they had been dyed with blood. It didn't help to know that this monstrosity had miraculously appeared right in front of my cottage. I averted my eyes, only to find giant footsteps leading inside my abode. I was excited beyond measure. An ugly smelly flower and giant footsteps - it isn't everyday that you find those two together.

You might expect me to have been terrified. Alarmed, at least. But since long, I had stopped caring. Rather I looked for adventure. The threat of death kept me alive. Six years of utter loneliness can do that to you. After all, there's no glory in being the only human alive.

At present, I stood before the door eager with anticipation. I decided not to knock lest I might frighten the creature into hiding. I opened the door and there he stood in full glory- the Mad Titan.

Within two years of the snap, humanity had wiped itself out. As soon as the last Avenger fell, the world stepped into chaos. With half the leaders dead, countries raced for supremacy in the new world order. One thing led to another and WWIII spared nobody. Well, nobody except me. I was on an island with friends when the snap happened. Everyone except me turned into dust. I tried to communicate with the rest of the world. Nobody heard me. I don't blame them for not responding. There must have been larger concerns than a solitary man stuck on an island. I had reception on my radio for two years. When the war came, it was abundantly clear to me that nobody could survive it.

Thanos was admiring his gauntlet. I tried not to stare at his chin.

“Fear not, human. I come to relieve you,” he said as a matter-of-fact.

“First explain that flower in my garden.” No point in beating about the bush. I needed to know what that flower was doing there.

“It was a warning; to prepare you.”

So he wasn't here for tea.

Standing in front of the most powerful being in the universe, I realized I was the only representative of humans. The last one left. I felt the urge to confront him on behalf of everyone.

“Mr Thanos, have you no heart? What did you achieve--”

“Your planet was on the brink of collapse. I was the one who prevented that.”

“How? Are there other people alive?”

“You are the only one.”

I must have looked confused for he began to explain.

“Humans were the greediest species on Earth. I prevented them from killing all other life forms. Their habitats were shrinking. Climate change was real. Yet humans were busy debating whether the earth was flat. I prevented that. I removed half the population on Earth. You know what's happened in the last 5 years? The birds and beasts have known nothing but full bellies and clear skies. It's a paradise.”

“But you failed to save everyone! There are no more people.” His face turned from purple to a shade of pink.

“It doesn't matter now. The Earth is perfectly balanced, as all things should be.”

“Well, congratulations then. It's a paradise!!” I faked a laugh. The Mad Titan helped himself to the sofa. His expression didn't betray anything but I found him to be faintly aloof.

“Hey, look at you! What's wrong?” He looked at me and I cursed myself for being a loudmouth.

“The hardest choices require the strongest wills. And only a soul can pay for a soul.” He stood up and advanced towards me.

“It's beyond me, whatever you say. Why are you here, big guy?” I started retreating back a few steps.

“I am here to sacrifice your life in exchange for my daughter Gamora.”

The sudden prospect of certain death terrified me to the core and all my bravado vanished into thin air.

“You can't seriously mean it. I-I am the last man alive.” I couldn't help pointing out.

“Your optimisim is misplaced, Earthling.”

As he raised his hand, I considered going for his head in a last attempt to avenge humanity. Before I could act on this--

*Snap*

shieldmaiden wrote a review...

To be honest - I was excited to read this but was not expecting it to be linked to the Marvel movies. I still haven't seen the "Infinity War" but I got the gist of what happened in the end or what Thanos was trying to achieve. However, I thought that the concept of being the last human on earth would have been even better idea to explore on its own without any connection to the Avengers. I was a bit disappointed to discover that it was a bit like Fanfiction. You are such a great writer and it would have been neat to read how a human copes with being the only one left alive and the writer's reasons for why there is no one else.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:09 am
Peridorkous16 says...

I will be honest I was confused at first until I saw "Thanos" and then everything made a lot more sense. Aside from being slightly lost at first, it's a great story! I saw some grammar mistakes but other than that, it's good! Keep it up!

GreyMatter says...

Please point out the grammar mistakes, apart from any that you see in the dialogues.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:24 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised when I read this! It was really good. I wasn't expecting Thanos to come into play. XD I loved every moment of it. I feel the title could use a bit of work, but maybe that's just me. There were only two things that really bothered me, and that was it seemed a bit strange that Thanos would waltz into the last persons house, plant a flower outside to warn them, and have a pleasant chat with the person their about to kill. I don't really care, though. It was hilariously good. SUPER GOOD. I cannot wait to see more!

GreyMatter says...

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad that you liked it. The title is a work in progress.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
— Albus Dumbledore