12+

Not My Circus: Chapter 18

by GengarIsBestBoy

Chapter 18: Curiosity Killed the Clown

“Oh… what’s up?” Sylvie asked.

There was a pause.

Keith heard Rei sigh. “It’s… about the clown guy,” she said.

A cold shiver went up Keith’s spine. He had seen it coming, sure, but hearing her say it was much, much different.

“Don’t you think there’s something… off about him?

There was a tiny, animalistic squeak of confusion. Behind the door, Keith could tell that Sylvie had tilted her head. “What do you mean?”

Rei was worked up now. “Well, have you noticed his features? The features that could have only come from one place? Look past the hair and the nose; have you noticed his round ears? The way he walks? His strange accent? And what about how we conveniently found him on Earth, and how he conveniently forgot where he was from?”

“Rei, what are you saying?”

“You know exactly what I’m saying, SilverTooth,” Rei snarled, lowering her voice.

Another pause.

“Okay, yes, he may be similar to Earthlings, but you’re missing the bigger picture!”

Keith saw Rei’s shadow shift away from Sylvie. She wasn’t convinced.

“He’s a literal clown, for Selene’s sake!” Sylvie said. “Since when do Earthlings look like that?”

Silence. Rei obviously had no idea what to say.

“Well… um… he’s probably just wearing some sort of disguise! He’s probably trying to mock the non-Earthlings!” There was a crack in her voice. She didn’t sound entirely sane. She sounded frantic. Stressed. Keith didn’t want to pity her, but a small part of him did.

“All of this is just… a scheme! Yes, an elaborate scheme to—”

“Elaborate scheme to do what, exactly?” Sylvie tapped her foot, waiting for an answer.

Rei didn’t have one.

Sylvie sighed. “Rei, I’m worried about you. You haven’t been acting like yourself. As of late, you’ve been more… defensive, more protective of me and Flax. I hate to say this, but…” She paused. It sounded like she was choking back tears. “You’re really starting to scare me. You are becoming way too obsessive about all of this.”

Rei gasped like she couldn't believe she had just said those things.

Sylvie took a nervous step back. “I… know someone—someone who may be able to help you. He’s a psychologist, and he—”

“No,” Rei said softly, “I don’t need help.”

Sylvie hesitated before speaking again. “What’s got you like this, anyways? Is... is this because of—”

“It has absolutely nothing to do with that traitor Juniper!” Rei interrupted. If she was frothing at the mouth right now, Keith wouldn't be surprised. “I just don't want anything to happen to the people I love anymore. Is that so bad? Is that so wrong?”

“No, but you're projecting your issues onto random people who've done you no harm! Seriously, what has this guy done so far besides looking a little weird? He's been nothing but helpful; he found Flax and brought him back in one piece!”

There was more silence.

Sylvie sighed again. “I don't believe that he's an Earthling; I think he's telling the truth.”

Rei scoffed. “We'll see tomorrow.”

Keith sensed that the conversation was over. He quietly snuck back to his room, slowly opened and closed the door, and got back in bed.

He was now left with more questions than answers. He should have listened to Avery.

He didn’t sleep for the rest of the night.

~~~

Previous: Chapter 17

Next: Chapter 19

Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:06 pm

I feel bad for Rei. She cares about all of them and only wants the best for the group. I don’t blame her for not trusting Keith. Keith and Rei share one similar thing, I think: They’re both lost. Keith is unsure on whether he wants to reveal himself as an Earthling and talk to his family again. Rei doesn’t know if she can trust Keith, but is the only one who feels suspicious. Perhaps a truce can come? I don’t know.

I hope that you will have a lovely day/night.

OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...

Hiya! This is Orabella, here with another review!

Uh oh... she knows. Well, kind of. But this can't be good. If they suspect him already, it's probably only a matter of time before they find out he's from Earth. But... what does that mean, exactly? What does it mean to be an Earthling, and like I've said a million times, why is it bad?

After reading the "yet" from your last chapter, it got me really nervous. And this chapter's title did the same. Killed? This can't be a coincidence. And also, uh oh, I gave you that idea. Did I just doom Keith??! I'm sorry!

I just randomly want to say, in one of your chapters, you wrote my real name, and in my mind I was like, "Yes?" Then I realized no one on Young Writers Society knows my name and that you weren't even talking to me at all. I won't say what it was or where it was, but I'll just say it's somewhere. So, yeah, random. (But maybe you are my sister! Except... she doesn't know who Gengar is, as far as I know. So never mind.)

Poor Keith though! He's been through so much, and now he's got yet another thing to worry about. What is he ever going to do?

And why is Rei so obsessed with everyone's safety anyway? I get the feeling it's more than just Keith being not who he says he is. I wonder what happened, and who Juniper is. So many questions.

I love your writing style. It can be funny at times, but it can also be amazing at describing detail and great at making me fear for the lives of your characters. And the characters themselves are so fun and life-like; I feel almost like they're real and I'm reading the actual story of what happened to them.

Again, amazing job. ^^ Keep writing!

GengarIsBestBoy says...

Thanks for reading! I plan to tie up all the loose ends at some point (not at the ver end of the story, of course, but soon)

AilahEvelynMae wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

(GREETING & INTRODUCTION)

Hey friendo! Ellie Mae back again to review the next chapter of your novel! Let's get right into the review!!

Top Graham Cracker - What I Know
(CONTENT - my impressions / interpretation)

In this chapter, Sylvie expresses her concern about Rei's almost obsessive suspicion of a character who is referred to as 'clown guy'. Rei believs that this guy is not what they seem and is projecting her fears onto him. Sylvie defens the clown guys trustworthiness. This chapter ends with keith feeling unsettled by the events unfolding and questioning the decisions he made earlier.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - Room for Improvements
(CONTENT - include specific suggestions)

First of all, I want to compliment your writing style. This is quite a dialogue heavy story/chapter and i think you pulled it off very well. It was easy for me to follow along and know who was talking at any given time. Ill mention this later in my review, but i loved the foreshadowing you used. Even more would be awesome! dropping hints about clown guy or what is to come makes it even more engaging and suspenseful.

Chocolate Bar - Highlights of the Piece
(CONTENT - include specific praises)
As i mentioned earlier, your ability to maintain appropriate dialogue/understanding/ keeping us engaged is wonderful! I also wanted to compliment your pacing because it felt that nothing was rushed and it flowed very well. this makes it enjoyable for me to read because i feel like it is a real conversation taking place in real time. I love your use of, almost, well 'foreshadowing'. i am curious about the clown guy and what is going to happen next.

Closing Graham Cracker - Closing Thoughts
(CONTENT & SIGN-OFF)

Thanks for blessing my eyes with this lovely story! Have a nice weekend!

Sincerely,
Ellie Mae

GengarIsBestBoy says...

Thanks for the review! By the way, clown guy is Keith

AilahEvelynMae says...

ohhhhhh! *gears clicking in my brain* thanks!!

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles