12+

Not My Circus: Chapter 16

by GengarIsBestBoy

Chapter 16: Cloaked Eyes and White Lies

Everyone went silent. Both the news crew and the agents seemed surprised. Molly changed back and went back to Keith’s shoulder.

Keith walked forward, and the crowd of agents moved out of the way. He saw their terrified expressions, and he heard little whispers of ‘That’s him—that’s the clown guy!’ He saw one lady with a bandage over her nose; it was the same lady that he’d punched in the face. Looking back, he was actually kind of proud of that.

Flax followed behind, but soon he ran past Keith, into the arms of his friends.

The purple-haired lady ran forward first. “Flax? Holy cinnamon, we’ve missed you!” She threw his arms around him, giving him the tightest and most aggressive hug Keith had ever seen.

“It’s so nice to see you again, Sylvie!” Said Flax, tears forming in his eyes.

The cloaked woman’s reaction was a little slower. “Flax? Flax, is that you?”

“Uh-huh! Come here, Rei!” He said, pulling her into the group hug.

The agents and news crew had dispersed (Keith had probably scared them off), so Keith and Molly were just... there. The reunion was beautiful, yes, but it was kind of awkward to just be standing in the background.

Now that he was watching them, he realized something—all of them were tall. Very tall. Even Rei, who appeared the be the shortest of the group, had to be at least 6 feet. There was yet another similarity: they all had the translator necklaces on, and some sort of badge on their clothes.

Once they were all let go, Rei stayed by Flax, putting her hands on his cheeks. “I’m so glad we found you…” she said. Keith couldn’t quite place her accent. Was it… Russian? Well, now that he thought about it, it probably wasn’t, since she wasn’t from Earth in the first place.

She then squished his face aggressively. “You’re not hurt, are you? Did you get bit by anything? Lose any blood? Did any strangers in the woods ask for your name?”

Flax chuckled nervously and pushed her away. “No, no, I’m fine! Nothing happened to me. In fact, I found someone who helped me out.” He gestured to Keith.

Keith hadn’t been paying attention at all, so he jumped a little. He quickly straightened himself out and cleared his throat. “Umm, hi! I’m Keith, and this is Molly.” Upon introduction, Molly jumped up and waved frantically, almost falling off of his shoulder.

Everyone paused for a little bit. Sylvie had a quizzical expression on her face, and Keith couldn’t even see what Rei was feeling.

Sylvie laughed grandly, and she walked up to Keith and stuck out her hand. Keith grabbed it, and was met with the most firm and bone-shattering handshake ever.

“The name’s SilverTooth, but you can just call me Sylvie,” she said. It was then that he noticed the silver canine tooth in her mouth. It didn’t look fake or ornamental—it looked like it had always been silver. “Thank you so much for taking care of our Flax!”

Keith nodded, still thinking about Flax’s warning. So far, she seemed friendly; there was nothing about her that suggested otherwise. Did she really… hate Earthlings? He couldn't imagine it.

Rei looked a little apprehensive, and even a little suspicious of Keith. But Sylvie beckoned her over. “C’mon, Rei, don’t be shy; come say hello!”

Reluctantly, she came over. She did not want to shake hands, but instead, she bowed quickly. “I’m Rei, but you knew that already,” she said coldly. Keith didn’t know whether it was a personal thing or if she was just like this naturally.

There was a little more awkward silence, as nobody was sure what to say.

“So,” Flax said, taking Keith out of the conversation, “what happened?”

“Well,” Rei started, “some of the higher-ups did some analytics, and—”

“There’s a rift in the space-time continuum!” Sylvie interrupted.

“What?!” Keith and Flax shouted in unison.

“Yes!” Sylvie continued. “A rift! In the space-time continuum! I can’t believe it, either!”

“B-But things like this happen all the time!” Flax stuttered. “Surely—”

No,” Rei interrupted, “it’s not like the little mishaps, the small things that slip through borders. No, it’s unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. Entire races are being transported into places that they shouldn’t be. Entire dimensions are colliding, disrupting the natural order of things!”

Keith froze. This entire time, he thought he was dealing with just one world; he thought that all the creatures spilling into Earth were coming from the same place. But Rei had said ‘dimensions,’ plural.

But how did ‘dimensions’ even work? Was it like the movies? Was each one like its own little world, or were they like parallel universes? Did each one have its own people, or were they different versions of the same people?

All of this speculation made his head spin. And yet… some of this rang a bell for him. His mind wandered back to that big portal he activated in the factory. Did he… no, he didn’t—it couldn’t possibly be…

Flax looked distraught. “But what could have possibly caused this?” He asked, as if reading Keith's thoughts.

Rei went quiet for a moment. “According to the analytics… it looked like someone did this deliberately—like someone was messing with the very threads of space-time directly. Possibly by using some unstable transportation method.”

Keith’s entire body went numb, and all color drained from his face—well, it didn’t really have color to begin with, but that was beside the point.

There was no room for doubt anymore. He had done this. He was the reason so many people were displaced. He had caused the rift in the space-time continuum. All of this mess—everything that had happened thus far—was all because of him.

Sylvie seemed to notice his shock. “Hey, are you… are you okay?” Rei seemed to squint, although there was really no telling.

Keith looked up at her, trying to quickly come up with a lie. “Yes—I mean, no—I mean… this is just very horrible news, is it not?”

Her eyes widened. “Oh, you poor thing; I totally understand! Come with us; I’ll make you some tea!” She suddenly grabbed his hand and started walking him to the ship.

“You must be so far away from home,” she said, “but don’t worry! We’ll get you back there in no time!”

He was confused. Home? But Earth was his—

Oh.

She… thought he wasn’t human? That he wasn’t an Earthling? It hadn’t quite registered in his brain before, but now he realized that the effects of his transformation extended beyond himself.

Flax had stayed behind for a moment. Keith took a concerned glance back at him. Flax was obviously panicking, but he didn’t know what to do; he hadn’t thought this far.

Keith didn’t know which path was worse: outing himself as an Earthling among potential Earthling-haters, or being shipped off to some other dimension and possibly never seeing Earth again.

Before he could pick his poison, Sylvie took him inside the ship.

~~~

Previous: Chapter 15

Next: Chapter 17

Stickied -- Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:09 am
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Uhhhh future gengar here, I did not put the image in here but here is Sylvie:

[Image ID: A digital drawing of a werewolf. Her skin is brown and she has an afro with purple highlights. She has wolf ears poking out of her afro and a brown tail. She wears a purple jumpsuit with a crescent moon belt, and has a purple teardrop-shaped necklace. There are two drawings on either side: the one on the left shows a full body, where she has her eyes closed with a happy expression and is waving. The one on the right shows only her head, where she has her eyes open and is smiling. In both drawings she has one silver tooth. /End ID]

Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:37 am
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...

Hiya! This is Orabella, here with a review.

Ahhh. Ahhhhhhh! AHHH! I feel like a should've suspected this. I mean, this all started happening just after Keith turns into a clown and went to the factory. I read the portal stuff, although I didn't remember it. Upon rereading it, however, I'm not sure why. I guess I was in a rush. So sorry about that...

In my mind, I was just like, Hmm. I wonder why he saw that goat creature at this specific point in time, and not another. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Oh, and all these other creatures. I guess they came with the goat spiders. I legitimately didn't see this coming, although it's not very hard to spot. I guess I just wasn't thinking very hard when I came across that. Or when I was reading this story. Period.

I wonder what will happen when they find out he's an earthling. As I assume they will find out. What is it about Earth that Flax doesn't want his kind to know? Why was he so reluctant to trust Keith upon finding out he was of Earth?

Keep going! Keep trying! Keep writing!

Oh no…Keith is in trouble. On one hand, he could tell them that he and Molly are from Earth. Maybe they’ll be annoyed, but they might help because he took care of Flax and didn’t lie.

On the other hand, he might die if he tells them. But then, Keith might have multiple near death experiences in this story, so it might not make a difference…Oh, the dilemma. I’ll have to find out.

I wish you a great day/night.

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron