12+

Not My Circus: Chapter 10

by GengarIsBestBoy

Chapter 10: Oh Deer

Keith felt the weight of the necklace in his pocket. It seemed to vibrate faintly. He held it in his hand, but hesitated a bit before showing it to the cervitaur.

Finally, he pulled out the necklace and held it out. “Is this yours?” He asked, even though the cervitaur could most likely not understand him.

The cervitaur jumped back in surprise, and quickly took it. He traced the edges of the gem lovingly for a bit, before stringing it around his neck. It glowed for a few seconds, illuminating his face.

“Oh thank the Heavens,” he said to himself, his voice gentle and like that of a librarian.

Keith noticed that his lips did not quite match up with what he was saying, and he slowly realized that the necklace was a translation tool!

He looked up at Keith. His voice was shaky, as if he were going to start crying again. “C-can you help me, please? I-I think I may be… lost.”

“It’s okay, I’m going to help,” said Keith. Truthfully, he didn’t know how he was going to help. But what else was he going to say? He couldn’t just... not help.

“What’s your name?”

“Fl-Flax. It’s Flax.”

“Nice to meet you, Flax,” Keith said, putting on his most concerned-yet-charismatic voice. I’m Keith, and we’re going to figure this all out, okay? So tell me, what happened?”

Flax hesitated a bit. “Well, I-I was eating lunch with my friends, and then there was this bright light…” he grimaced as he trailed off. “And now I’m here. I need to get back home.”

Keith listened intently, still not sure what he was going to do. He quickly came up with a plan. He stood up, extending his hand out to Flax. “I’m gonna take you to my place, okay? We’ll sort everything out when we’re there.”

Flax rose from the ground, and Keith was taken aback at how big he was. Maybe it was the fact that he was a hybrid of a human and a deer, or maybe Keith was just short—either way, he towered over him, and Keith was honestly a little scared.

Keith motioned for Flax to follow him. Flax, however, immediately stumbled over his own hooves. He made a gesture assuring Keith that he was alright, but it took him a couple of tries to start walking right. He wondered if this happened often with 4-legged creatures.

As Keith led Flax out of the arcade, he realized a major flaw in his already-dubious plan:

How was he going to sneak a whole cervitaur all the way back to his apartment?

Well, there was only one way to find out.

~~~

Previous: Chapter 9

Next: Chapter 11

Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:34 pm
Liminality says...

This is shaping up to be quite an interesting cast of characters: shapeshifter, photographer who turned into a clown, and a cervitaur!

Hmm, looks like we're developing a pattern there, with the old lady in the previous part and now Flax - Keith really is becoming a superhero :0

Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:50 pm
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...

Hiya! This is Orabella here with a review.

I think this is the shortest chapter yet. Not that I'm complaining. I like it when chapters vary in lengths.

So the necklace is a translator. I wonder how it works? Does it do more than simply translating? How does the translator know to convert whatever the cervitaur is saying into English specifically? How does it know English? Can it convert any language into another? If Keith were to wear it, could he talk to someone speaking Spanish or Japanese? (You don't have to answer any of that)

And, how is he going to sneak a cervitaur back to his apartment? Maybe it won't matter because something will come up. Or the streets are abandoned. Oohh, that would be creepy.

GengarIsBestBoy says...

Can it convert any language into another? If Keith were to wear it, could he talk to someone speaking Spanish or Japanese?

Yep, it can translate any language! Also I plan to explain it later

Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:17 pm

With all of the crazy things going on in Mayday city, I don’t think anyone would notice Flax. If Keith passed through the dimension unsuspected, then maybe he could pass out of it the same way…or Keith could pretend that Flax was wearing a costume…he’s got to get Flax safety to his apartment somehow. I’ll be sure to check out the next chapter.

I enjoyed reading this. :] I wish you an amazing day/night.

Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby