Taste of Life - Chapter 7

by Que

Megan swallowed hard as the ambulance careened around the corner. Chris had described her hands to the police, and apparently her hands were in danger. They wouldn’t tell the two much, but Meg knew enough to be scared.

“We should have just called the hospital,” she muttered. “Then I’d be taken care of and the police didn’t have to know about us.” She stood outside the store, and Chris was slightly behind her. Even though she would much rather have called the hospital directly, she knew it was pointless arguing, even with herself. She would’ve been known either way, and since this was some strange town, she couldn’t exactly call the hospital directly. Who knew what its number was?

As the ambulance pulled up beside them and people started rushing out, Megan began to get dizzy. Why did I ever run away? she asked herself through the static of her mind. Her vision began to be edged with black, and the last thing she felt was falling…

*  *  *  *  *

Megan slipped in and out of consciousness, her eyes open and fluttering for a few seconds before the shadows descended upon her once more. In the brief periods when she was awake, there were constantly people above her, mouths moving faster than words came out, passing things to one another. Once, she thought she caught a glimpse of Chris’s green eyes.

As soon as her eyelids fell shut, Megan was surrounded by fire. She was confused at first because she kept jerking out of it and into real life, but eventually she dropped back into the dream and stayed there.

It didn’t take her long to adjust to the flames, once she understood what was happening. She was Pyrok. Megan felt the comfortable weight of her gigantic yellow and blue sword in her left hand. Looking around, she found herself in a dark room. She seemed to be much the same Py she had been when she left- blue-skinned, a normal, non-twelve-year-old body, and the marks of a general crossing her arms.

There had to be a reason for her presence there, as she hadn’t been Pyrok in a dream since she came into the world of humans. There was a footstep on the stone floor, and then a figure materialized from the darkness. Ieva.

The elder lady was garbed in a shimmering blue dress of an alien material, and her hair was pinned up with pieces of silver and the finest gems. In her hands was a covered object.

“Hello there, Py,” she said in a voice as smooth as silk. Pyrok snarled and the flames around her heightened.

“Don’t call me Py,” she growled. “That name is reserved for friends only.” Ieva waved a hand through the air and then brought it back up to her face to inspect her nails. Her eyes flicked up for a moment to stare right at Pyrok.

“I’m your superior,” she sniffed, “and I have the right to call you anything I want, Py.”

“But you shouldn’t tempt someone who is taller than you- and is armed.”

The glow surrounding Ieva dimmed as Pyrok’s sword cut through the air at normal head-height- just a few inches above Ieva’s. Her eyes flickered in fear for a moment, and Pyrock wondered if she was really present next to Ieva or if she was just a vision. She decided to keep the benefit of the doubt.

“So,” Py rolled her eyes, “is there any reason for bringing me here? Personally, I find this whole thing rather pointless.”

Ieva seemed to collect herself and pulled the covering off of the object in her hands. It was a red button pulsing with light.

“Yes, well, I was wondering if you had changed your mind. I can take you from this life, if you’d like. I’ll bring you home and let you go back to normal.”

Pyrock snorted and hefted her sword again. “Not a chance, Ieva,” she retorted. “I’m living and loving this new life of mine, and I still find the humans full of worth, full of things that you could never see in them.”

Ieva pursed her lips. “Haven’t you been hurt? Didn’t your friend, Ella, betray you? Didn’t your parents force you out of the place you loved most? Didn’t your teacher act unfairly?”

Pyrok sent Ieva a withering glare. “Really now. You think things like that are going to change my whole outlook on humans? There are problems like this in every society. I’m just a kid. Ella was a bad choice on my part, my parents had a right to move, and maybe my teacher is right- maybe I am someone who is just stuck up and wants attention. So what?”

“I’m warning you, Pyrok,” Ieva said tightly, “you’re only going to get one more chance. I’ll come back later for you, to see if you’ve been set straight. These humans are worthless.”

Py shrugged. “Go ahead- I won’t stop you. But you had better be warned- I’m not changing my mind, and a promise is a promise. In three lives, I’m going to have the same opinion of the humans, and you’d better destroy that button there.”

“We shall see, Py. We shall see again.”

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey! I'm here to review (as you should aware by now ;))!

With the way Megan talks about the police, I'm more than convinced calling the hospital is more appropriate than calling the police. There's nothing the police can do about this since no criminal is there, or anyone committing suicide. At the end, the hospital proves to be more useful, and now the police knows about this and would call their parents and make them worried. But then, when I read on, it seems like you've a logical explanation to that, so kudos to you. I pretty much wrote that part before I read the explanation. -_-'

Oh my god. Things just get worse! I wonder right now what really happens to her, and would be ecstatic if you have a logical medical explanation about it.

In the brief periods when she was awake, there were constantly people above her, mouths moving faster than words came out, passing things to one another.

The part about mouths and words doesn't make sense, although I know what you're trying to say. You just have to work on your wordings. '... mouths moving faster than words could come out...' seems like a better rephrasing. Careful about this kind of thing.

This part is unorganized. The description about Ieva making an act should be aligned with her speaking, which means it should be with her dialogue, not Pyrok. You can note this when reading a novel, where one's action follows with one's dialogue or vice versa.

Shocking! I thought Pyrok would finish the human live and give a report to Ieva, but it seems the later is keeping track with her life after all. You should mention how she's able to do this because if there's no evidence of something making her to see this, it would be more of a convenient for her to suddenly know all of this.

I'm a bit confused about the three lives, actually. What does that actually mean? Is she going to be someone else after this, taking another two human lives? Or what? I don't understand. Can you elaborate more on this? Ieva talks about her having one more chance, which means two lives have been wasted already? How is this possible? I think you should really clear this thing up. Setting that aside, I think it's refreshing to see Megan back as Pyrok and have a rather aggressive conversation with Ieva. A bit extraordinary is welcomed after the chapters become realistic teen novel. xD

And that is all! Keep up the good job! :D

Snazzy wrote a review...

This review is going to be short, because as the other reviewers stated, this is absolutely amazing! Ieva's last line really left a mark, and it was a great ending sentence for this. Now, time for the review:

Chris had described her hands to the police, and apparently her hands were in danger.

Just wanted to make mention that "hands" is repeated in this sentence. "They" would be acceptable, since we know you're still talking about Meg's hands.

WOW. I'm utterly speechless. This is the only thing I could find, at all . The dialogue is good. Your characters are WONDERFUL. I encourage you to keep having little chapters with Meg as Py - just to keep us updated with Ieva.

Anyway, I wish you luck with the rest of this! :D It's going really well so far (and the latter chapters are very well written, as well. ;) ) Good job and keep writing!

~Snazz Pizzazz

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:09 am
TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Oooh; now this is one interesting twist. O_O

...I have to say it, Falconer - this chapter is impressive. Your character development is exceptional, as is the general plotline of the story. Nothing like a struggle over the fate of the human race, eh? Furthermore, I find your story not only unique, but definitely well-composed. In particular, the back and forth argument between Ieva and Pyrok over the fate of the human race and the worthiness of the species was fascinating, witty, and intense. Ieva obviously has low standards on the mannerisms and nature of the human race. Pyrok has confidence in the human race, which, given the way that she felt so much pain in the form of Megan, shows a lot about her personality - namely, her high esteem in humans, her resilience, and her bravery and confidence. Seeing these two personalities contrast was awesome, particularly in the manner in which Pyrok made clear her position.

I also liked your descriptions in the story. I could envision Megan/Pyrok's feelings quite clearly, not to mention the dark room in which she appears and her half-conversation/partial fight with Ieva. Your details were abundant, thoughtfully incorporated, and did a nice job of portraying each scene in the story vividly. I most enjoyed the way that you described Megan's falling in and out of consciousness, and her being upset at the beginning of the story. Well done!

I would like to note a few errors in grammar in your first few paragraphs. First and foremost, in the sentence "'Then I’d be taken care of and the police didn’t have to know about us,'" I feel that "wouldn't" would be a much more suitable replacement for "didn't." It more clearly communicates Megan's feelings, and also helps to highlight her upset feelings. Secondly, in the sentence "Who knew what it's number was?", the word "it's" is incorrect; the proper word is "its." After all, "it's" is a conjunction that means "it is," while "its" is a possessive word used to show identity, and "it is" certainly doesn't fit in the sentence. :P Lastly, you didn't capitalize the first word in the last sentence of your third paragraph. Yes, I know I'm nitpicking the story. However, there are absolutely no other grammar errors in the entirety of the story; it's mostly clean, as far as that goes.

In all, I loved the story. Your sense of character development was exceptional, as was your plotline and setting. The chapter is creative, well-composed, detailed and thoughtful, and I enjoyed reading it from start to finish. Well done! :D

Que says...

Thanks for the great review!! O_O It's. I never thought I would mess that up. Sorry, I promise I know what the correct form is.

Steggy wrote a review...

Here to review this chapter (and this review won't have anything else to do with the other chapters! ^^)

Wow. I loved the beginning; for someone who hasn't read the previous chapters, this one is action packed in the beginning. The characters are flowing nicely, as Megan is having problems with Chris telling the police about her hands. Now throughout this chapter there is character development, makes me want more of what is going to happen.

I liked how Meg went from normal to a Pyrock (who's seem to be more different as in character and that is awesome!). The dialogue between the Py-Meg and Ieva are quite well like mother and daughter or something.

Some things I found a little confusing (that could be answered from past chapters), is the transaction. She is Megan; in the human world then she is passing into the dream world to become a Pyrock? Just a little confusing to me.

"Really now. You think things like that are going to change my whole outlook on humans? There are problems like this in every society. I’m just a kid. Ella was a bad choice on my part, my parents had a right to move, and maybe my teacher is right- maybe I am someone who is just stuck up and wants attention. So what?” <-- this little part of your chapter seems bit... extended like the character realizes this almost too fast. However that could just be me.

I liked this chapter greatly and how the character acts throughout it all. Hopefully you write more! Hopefully this made sense.
Steggy

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore