z

Young Writers Society



Walls of Memory

by Em16


We sit on opposite sides of the room
Staring at different walls.
I sneak glances at you
Wondering if you do the same.

I wonder if
Whenever you think of me
You, too, are haunted by images
Of those days long past.

That day in the park
The sting of winter
And the flush on your cheeks
Telling me about your pet goldfish.

His name was Herbert,
And he died six months
After you got him.
You buried him in the backyard.

Was it a dream?
All the laughter
All the yearning
I thought we both felt.

But I am the only one
Who felt the darkness invade
The one covered in scars
From your lost affection.

I prayed it was temporary
When we started to pull apart
Like the seams of a dress
Ripping apart. Collapsing.

I prayed it was all an act
Your appearance of indifference
There’d be a trapdoor hidden
In one of your your thick walls.

I was sure that trapdoor
Would contain our shared memories,
The ones you’d buried
But couldn’t forget.

Alas, you really have forgotten
You were granted that luxury
While I am forever trapped
In the worn out walls of memory.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 1237
Reviews: 39

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:50 am
sulagna wrote a review...



Hey, Em16
I have noticed that you have written a number of stories and poems. Thats great ! But I just want to ask ,that how do you get such wonderful topics to write on?
I really cant of anything to write ,so please do tell me how you get such topics??
I am curious.
Okay ! Now back to your poem. Its just wonderful!

1. The fact [ lovely].
2. We sit on opposite sides of the room
Staring at different walls I am actually always finding faults at the beginning but to my surprise, this time I wasnt.
3. The fact is just wonderful!!! This is a real fact...

4. I loved how you compared memories to be the walls.

Just lovely!
Keep writing!

From Sulagna




Em16 says...


Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it. To answer your question, I try to just write about what I'm feeling. Poetry is a way, for me, to explore my feelings, so I'll start out with a vague idea of an emotion, and as I start writing, it'll get more specific and more detailed. Just think about how you feel or how you felt in the past, and write a poem about it.



sulagna says...


Ohhh thank u so much!



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:47 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...



Hey there!
You've managed to write another beautiful poem. I've noticed you are pretty consistent in the format of your poems - stanzas of four lines each. It makes it seem like all of your poems are connected and tell a story together. Nice job on this poem! :) I only have a few things to point out. Of course, feel free not to listen to everything I say!

There’d be a trapdoor hidden
In one of your your thick walls.

You repeated "your" twice. I barely noticed it until I read your poem a second time.

His name was Herbert,
And he died six months
After you got him.
You buried him in the backyard.

I like how in the previous stanza you mentioned how he told you about his goldfish. Like LittleLee said, it's a simple memory, and that's what makes your poem personal. But personally for me, this entire stanza could be deleted. I feel like it provides no purpose to the overall message of this poem, and it seems out of place. In the previous stanza, you already mentioned the goldfish, so I don't think there is any point to elaborate on it further. This is just my suggestion, so you don't have to take it :)

In the worn out walls of memory.

I like how you turned memories into a wall, and you further described it as being worn. The word should be hyphenated though, so it's worn-out. You can find it spelled "worn out" on the Internet, but I've always been told to correct it by making it hyphenated in real life, as well as on here. This is just a nitpick though!

Overall, this is another lovely poem, and I enjoyed reading it! I hope this helped <3




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 41

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:03 pm
Shadeflame wrote a review...



Hi Em16! It's Shade here to do a review.

First off I have to say that this was a very beautifully written poem. The verses were short, but I personally like that better than long ones. I didn't see any problems with it, it was all easy to understand, and the topic was a great one to choose. My favorite stanza was the one about the day in the park. It described the scene that they were in with so little words, yet you could still picture it.
I don't really make a habit of reviewing poetry often, especially not poems as good as yours, but I thought I'd give it a try and I'm sorry if this was useless to you. I genuinely could not find any bad points.
Keep writing!
-Shade




Em16 says...


Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm flattered that you could not find any bad points.



User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 am
LittleLee wrote a review...



Here I am to drop off a review in the name of Team Tortoise!

This poem is light and nice to read. I do like the slight sense of abstracted writing I get. It may be unintentional, but I've always enjoyed reading poetry like that. There aren't many things I can point out, so this will be a rather short review. Here goes.

I know you've done it intentionally, but some lines are way shorter than others. As a result, while reading, there were too many brief pauses and continuations for my liking. This does have a tendency to disrupt the smooth flow of poems, but that in itself is a style, I suppose.

That day in the park
The sting of winter
And the flush on your cheeks
Telling me about your pet goldfish.

You could add a "with" in the beginning of the third line. And I like this stanza; the memory is so simple as to usually be forgotten, yet remembered by the narrator.

But I am the only one
Who felt the darkness invade
The one covered in scars
From your lost affection.

I think there should be a comma after "invade', and question mark after "affection".

In the seventh stanza, you've used the word "apart" twice. While there is nothing explicitly wrong about this, I suggest you replace "drift apart" with "pull away". It conjures the same image without disturbing the following one.

There’d be a trapdoor hidden

How about adding the word "That" to the beginning of this line?

I was sure that trapdoor

You used the word "trapdoor" right before this as well, so you can just say, "it would" (I brought up a word from the next line to even the syllable count somewhat).

In the last stanza, there needs to be a comma after "forgotten", or the reader may get the impression of one long, meandering sentence.


The ending was wonderful! I especially liked the little alliteration thrown in there. Overall you've done a really good job; keep it up! I hope my review didn't discourage you or make you feel bad. If it did, I'm sorry! :D

-Lee




Em16 says...


Thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it. And don't worry, your review wasn't discouraging at all.




I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom