16+ Violence Mature Content

A Sociological View of Child Suicide in the United States

by EllieMae

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

*Hey everyone!! Just a heads up, this paper contains really heavy topics and mentions of suicide in children. Please don't read if that makes you uncomfortable. There are brief mentions of suicide methods, but nothing specific or graphic, thought there are mentions of child abuse/neglect and a very brief mention of murder. This is a paper that I wrote for my sociology class and it's due tonight. Im just hoping to get some feedback. The paper can't be over one page and its already just past that, so I can't add anything to it, but id appreciate help with sentence structure and anything else.*

*are my in text citations done correctly? I wasn't sure if the "" should be before or after.*

The Conflict Theory explains that the structure of society is constructed by sources of inequality that provide some groups with gain, at the expense of others. Concerning child suicide, most of the recorded conflict is racial, or other forms of bullying. Jamari Terrell Williams was a 10-year-old from Montgomery, Alabama, who died from suicide. “He wanted to know if I loved him because his classmates would say he was dark-skinned.” (Frisbie, 2022) The bullying that children receive is one factor that contributes to suicide.

The Structural-Functional Theory teaches us how different parts of society are structured and work together to keep society functioning. If a person feels like they do not belong, they feel isolated. Racial discrimination and bullying from school peers, as well as abuse, contributed to the death of Ashawnty Davis, a ten-year-old from Colorado. After being bullied relentlessly online and at school, she confronted her bully. This incident was recorded and posted on social media. This brought even more hate from her peers, leading to loneliness, which was too much for her to handle. Her mother said, "My daughter came home two weeks later and hanged herself in the closet" (Michels, 2017).

Symbolic Interactionism views society from a micro-level perspective, examining individual interactions. It teaches that society is made up of numerous symbolic interactions. A study teaches us that those who are “disappointedly unsuccessful in their social interactions become socially confused and frustrated leading to increased risk of suicide”. (Narrol, 1965) Trauma and abuse are prominent in cases of child suicide. Kendrea Johnson, a six-year-old from Minnesota, was found hanging from her bunk bed in her foster home. She entered foster care after she was found in her mother's trashed home, following her father's murder. She wrote a note before she died, stating, "I'm sad for what I do" on coloring pages. 

i think this is very good writing and really opened my mind. great job and keep enlightening people

Rose wrote a review...

Greetings @AilahEvelynMae,

Today is no longer yesterday night, so you must have turned in your paper by now. That's why I'm not really here to give you any more suggestions, but rather to tell you why I actually read your paper.

I have to say that you wrote about a really sensitive topic, but I'm glad that you did. Because a lot of people still don't realize how much factors such as racial discrimination, bullying, abuse and trauma can contributing to child suicide. It started much earlier, but I think it's more than enough to hear about such a tragic event even in 1965 and it keeps happening like the event in 2022.

People need to be aware of the impact that factors such as bullying and harassment can have on a person. It's not always easy to talk about these issues, but we need to hear about them so that we can learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating them.

It seems like you did enough research to be able to talk about a huge social problem in just a few words. It is written very formally and yet interesting. The article creates a sense of awareness of the problem, and you have written it so precisely that it immediately conveys a message to the reader.

You are a talented writer in your own way. Keep on doing what you do!

Me,

Rose

Tue May 16, 2023 7:39 am
DennisWolf wrote a review...

Okay, down below I've put in some suggestions/tips… Whatever they are. Hopefully, I'm not too late, also.. This actually helps.

The Conflict Theory explains that the

*The Conflict Theory explains the

structure of society is constructed by

*structure of society includes/contains
sources of inequality.

sources of inequality that provide some

*These (sources) provide certain groups with gain, at the expense of other groups.

Alternatively: The Conflict Theory explains the structure of society includes/contains
sources of inequality, providing some groups with gain at the expense of others.

Concerning child suicide, most of the
recorded conflict is racial, or other forms of bullying.

*Concerning child suicide, most recorded conflicts are racial or various forms of bullying.

Jamari Terrell Williams was a 10-year-old from Montgomery, Alabama, who died from suicide. *who committed suicide.

“He wanted to know if I loved him because his classmates would say he was dark-skinned.” (Frisbie, 2022)

The bullying that children receive is one factor that contributes to suicide.

*Bullying that children suffer/face leads them to suicidal ideations.
Alternatively: can lead them to suicidal ideations.

Racial discrimination and bullying from school peers, as well as abuse,

*Racial discrimination, bullying and abuse
contributed to the death of Ashawnty Davis, a ten-year-old from Colorado.

After being bullied relentlessly online and at school, she confronted her bully. This incident was recorded and posted on social media. This brought even more hate from her peers, leading to loneliness, which was too much for her to handle.

**After cyberbullying and harassment at school became unbearable(for her), she confronted her bully. The incident was recorded and posted on social media, gaining her more hate from her peers.
This led her to unbearable loneliness.

Alright, so I've done some 'editing'
(I loathe that word) .. Keep in mind I'm not a native English, so I might've just suggested a lot of useless or stupid things..

Tue May 16, 2023 4:47 am
Shady wrote a review...

Hey there! I am not very good at reviewing on mobile, but that’s all I have available to me right now, and you said this is due tonight, so I’m gonna give it a go and try to be as helpful as I can.

As far as the punctuation goes, what is considered “correct” is actually different in different countries. I’m not quite sure what country you’re from, but I’m American and it’s the only grammar rules I actually know, so I’m going to go off that and warn you that if you are not also American, take my advice with a grain of salt.

That being said, you vary your punctuation a lor, and should probably find one and stick with it for continuity. And, again, if you’re American — then the correct way to quote things is “quote” (citation).

So this one is correct:

"My daughter came home two weeks later and hanged herself in the closet" (Michels, 2017).

And this one is incorrect:

“disappointedly unsuccessful in their social interactions become socially confused and frustrated leading to increased risk of suicide”. (Narrol, 1965)

It should instead be “…suicide” (Narrol, 1965).

Also, i would advise you to look up whether that comma is needed. I use APA and so my citations are just like (Narrol 1965) but that’s a science thing and I’m fairly sure a comma is correct if you’re using MLA — just be sure you know what format you’re going for and do your best to match online guides.

Hope that helped! I don’t have the brainpower to critique the content right now, especially given how heart wrenching it all is. But since you specifically asked for grammar help, that is what I had to offer ^^

Keep Writing!
Shady

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith