16+ Language Mature Content

Words Better Left Unsaid, Chapters 1-3

by DeadMenTe11N0Tales

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

After

I never could have fathomed that a kiss could blow up a friendship like a dynamite stick. But hey, in hindsight, maybe I should’ve picked up on the signs. I mean, I’ve never really been known for my stellar choices when it comes to matters of the heart or anything remotely resembling a functioning relationship.

So here’s how this dumpster fire started: we were all just goofing around, playing truth or dare like a bunch of High-schoolers. And guess what I picked, when it was my turn? If you think dare, DING DING DING, Obviously. But, that simple dare was the catalyst that sent our lives spiraling into a twisted Rom-Com nightmare.

When our lips collided in that daring act, a seismic shift occurred in the universe. It was like we broke some invisible contract, Ashleigh yanked away from me like I had just sprouted an extra head. Her face looked like she had just swallowed a whole lemon, and my sad, fragile heart was impaled by her shock.

The rest of that night? Total blur.

Luke and I got into an epic brawl? Check.

Ashleigh made a break for it and bolted from the party? Oh yeah.

Oh, and let’s not forget the pièce de résistance: Ashleigh, in her bewildered state, ended up crashing her car. Talk about adding insult to injury. And in the wreckage, along with her memory, our once-blossoming friendship was turned into roadkill.

Yep. Story of my life.

Before

There's nothing like starting the day with a good groan and eye roll session. But hey, at least I had my trusty inspirational posters to give me a glimpse of what I'm lacking in creativity. Oh, the thrill of spending minutes deliberating over the right combination of clothes to dominate the halls of this prestigious academic institution. Casual yet stylish was definitely the way to go, because nothing screams confidence like not giving a damn about what you're wearing.

As I entered the kitchen, the smell of breakfast hit me like a linebacker, probably because my mom was still in her pajamas, sipping her morning coffee. Ah, the life of an artist. Always out late at fancy art auctions, leaving the mere mortals to fend for themselves. But hey, I'm sure the art connoisseurs are blown away by her talent. Meanwhile, I'll be here, eating my lonely bowl of cereal. Speaking of lonely, my best friend Ashleigh was about to arrive, and I couldn't contain my excitement. Someone to share in the misery of being at this godforsaken place they call a school. It's great to know I'm not the only person counting down the minutes until I can escape.

As we walked to school, Ashleigh felt the need to unload about her idiotic boyfriend, Luke. Rumor has it he's been flirting with freshman at parties. Ah, young love. Nothing screams "healthy relationship" like your boyfriend eyeing up other options while you follow him around like a lovesick puppy.. But hey, who am I to judge? I'm just the friend who's always there to help clean up the mess. I tried my best to offer a sympathetic ear, but deep down, I was silently screaming for her to dump him already and take a real look at what's right in front of her. Spoiler alert: it's me, the ever-dedicated, always-overlooked friend. But sure, let's just keep dating the dumb jocks. Who needs self-respect anyway?

In art class, Mr. Meltz had us embark on his latest "experiment." Because nothing screams fun like being a guinea pig covered in paint. As I worked on my masterpiece, I couldn't help but notice Luke's eyes widen as he glanced at my handiwork. His classic move of admiring his girlfriend's best friend's artwork while simultaneou-ly flirting with other girls. A true multitasker , that one.

The day dragged on like a three-hour lecture on the history of paint drying, and before I knew it, it was time to go home. I started checking texts from my oh-so-involved parents. Mom's apologizing for being absent because she's off dazzling the world with her artistic talents. And Dad, always there with the cheesy "second favorite artist" comment. Thanks for the sentimental reminder that I'm just living in the shadow of greatness.

But hey, at least I have Ashleigh. So I texted her to meet me at our secret spot in the park, because I'm clearly just overflowing with romantic abilities. The sight of me sitting there nervously tapping my foot, waiting for her arrival, must have been truly magical. The sun setting, the golden glow... All that was missing was a unicorn prancing by and a choir of angels singing our names.

When Ashleigh finally arrived, I couldn't hold it in any longer. I had to spill the beans about Luke's wandering eye. She looked at me like I had just revealed the secrets of the universe. "Em, what are you talking about? Luke would never cheat," she protested, clearly not grasping the concept of seeing with your own two eyes.

But hey, it's not like I have any ulterior motives or anything. I'm just here to be the beacon of truth in this sea of denial. And after a good cry and some comforting, we decided she could crash at my place so she wouldn't have to face the cheater tonight.

As we sat on the bench in the park, basking in the relief of finally facing the truth, I couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude for our friendship. Who needs a loyal boyfriend when you can have a friend who's always there to pick up the pieces? And so, we journeyed back to my humble abode, where we drowned our sorrows in takeout and laughter, because nothing says "let's forget all our problems" like greasy food and laughter.

And so, the day came to an end, our woes temporarily forgotten in the comfort of companionship. But hey, tomorrow is another day. Another day of groaning at the alarm clock, finding the perfect outfit, and being the best friend I can be. Because what else is there to do when life hands you an oblivious friend and a closet full of sarcasm? Just keep on rolling with the punches and praying for a little bit of actual excitement.

Before

Oh, how heartwarming! The suns rays gently caressed my face, like a Disney movie come to life. And there, like a heroic warrior princess ready to conquer the world, was Ashleigh, already wide awake and perched on the bed. Her eyes had this ridiculously cute sparkle, as if she had just discovered the cure for world hunger or cracked the Da Vinci Code. What could possibly be so earth-shattering to wake up at the crack of dawn?

With a voice dripping with unparalleled determination (or delusion, I can't quite tell), she mustered up the courage to announce her grand revelation. "Em," she declared, in a spot on british accent, "I've had an epiphany. I simply cannot bear the colossal burden of being in a relationship with that pathetic excuse of a human, Luke. The guy is practically a man-whore, I deserve better, like, a million times better." Talk about self-confidence!

Well, let me tell you, I was positively beaming with excitement, applauded in my mind, of course. Oh, Ashleigh, you brave, resilient goddess of perfection. Finally, she sees the light!"Darling Ash," I said, imitating her, "you couldn't be more right. Seriously, the universe must have mixed up its gift delivery system to pair you with such a lowly mortal. Good riddance to that Luke character!". I mean, seriously, who needs Luke? It's not like he was some sort of Prince Charming sweeping Ashleigh off her feet. He was more like a slightly less annoying version of that guy who always stands too close to you in line at the grocery store.

I nodded dramatically, because apparently that's the appropriate response when your best friend discovers her self-worth and dumps her lackluster boyfriend. Ashleigh shot me a suspicious glance, probably wondering how much of my support was real and how much was just an elaborate scheme to get back at Luke. But hey, only time will tell, right?

As I swung my legs off the bed and reached for my slippers, I couldn't help but imagine the possibilities for Ashleigh's newfound freedom. Maybe she'll meet a guy who can actually hold a conversation beyond grunting and talking about football. Or perhaps she'll find herself a partner who knows the difference between a salad fork and a pitchfork. The sky's the limit here! I stretched dramatically, my morning yawns filled with excitement for the future. "So, Ash, any idea how you're gonna break it to Luke? I'm thinking a flash mob in the middle of the grocery store would be a fitting way to end things. What do you think?"

Ashleigh rolled her eyes, clearly not on board with my over-the-top exit strategy. Geez, some people just can't appreciate the comedic genius of a well-executed dance routine in front of bewildered grocery shoppers. Their loss. With a sigh, she shook her head. "I think I'll just have an honest conversation with him, Em. No need for dramatics."I raise an eyebrow, intrigued by this radical notion of maturity and communication. "Oh, come on, Ash! Where's the fun in that? What's the point of a breakup if you don't get to make a scene and storm off in a huff?"

Ashleigh shot me a look that said, "Are you serious right now?" And honestly, I couldn't blame her. I've always been one for the dramatics. But hey, sometimes it's nice to see your best friend grow a backbone, even if it means sacrificing a good show. As I followed Ashleigh out of the room, I couldn't help but feel a surge of excitement. The world was Ashleigh's oyster now, and I, her trusty sidekick, was more than ready to mock Luke from the sidelines as he wallowed in regret. So here's to you, Ash. May your future be filled with love, laughter, and a complete absence of ex-boyfriends who are too busy playing video games to remember your birthday. Cheers!

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:46 am
Kaia wrote a review...

Ahahahahah!

Okay I just had to get that out. This piece was crazy well written! Even though we don't see the main character from any point of view but from first person, we know him so well! The phrases used here are so typical to the way teenagers think! This friend of Ash's is so bold and sarcastic it's amusing. Not a kid I would want to raise, but very amusing as a character for sure!

Let me just copy a few of my favorite phrases:
"this dumpster fire"
"And guess what I picked, when it was my turn? If you think dare, DING DING DING, Obviously." <This is total teenage brain here. Obnoxious, upfront, and even in your face a little with the way they talk? Yeah. This also yields to the immense amount of confidence this character has. Especially the fact that nothing annoys him more than to hear that his friend has low confidence and can't figure what I imagine the other character to call "the simplest basics"

"And Dad, always there with the cheesy "second favorite artist" comment." What do teenagers hate? Dull repetition of the same things over and over again. And here that is illustrated perfectly!

"some people just can't appreciate the comedic genius of a well-executed dance routine in front of bewildered grocery shoppers." Again, the sarcasm, the boldness, the confidence. Very characteristic of popular people in highschool for sure, haha.

"He was more like a slightly less annoying version of that guy who always stands too close to you in line at the grocery store." Same thing with this quote.;)

I also love the attitude of nothing really matters. Just keep pressing through the chaos and have a good ride with it! He never really thinks to try to change things. He's fine just riding the waves as they come. His carefree attitude is so evident across the short excerpt. I have to say it really seems like he's going to
get himself in serious trouble for this someday!

How these beginning chapters are split up is a little odd to me, and at first I feared what this would turn out being, but in the end, it does all run very smoothly together, gives a good impression of the characters being described, and a pretty good beginning to the disaster ahead. The first section was probably my favorite. Very unpredictable and written so well it made me laugh in places.

A few suggestions:

Finally, she sees the light!"Darling Ash," I said, imitating her, "you couldn't be more right. Seriously, the universe must have mixed up its gift delivery system to pair you with such a lowly mortal. Good riddance to that Luke character!".

Two things: 1. There is no space between "light!"" and "Darling Ash"
And the period is not necessary after "character!"

Also, there was somewhere (I can't find it now) that a misplaced hyphen was hiding. So watch for that if you do an editing round.

Overall, stellar job!
-Kaia

Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:19 pm
PKMichelle wrote a review...

Hello friend!
I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d check it out.

Per my interpretation, this was a really great beginning to a novel! From what I understand, you showed us two very typical people in a very typical situation for their age. And with this, you did a wonderful job showing how negative certain relationships can be if there's no respect and decency from both sides of the playing field.

If I could offer any sort of advice, I don't think I really would! This was really well put together and a fun read!

But, I would ask a question. In chapter 2, paragraph 2, you stated,

As I entered the kitchen, the smell of breakfast hit me like a linebacker, probably because my mom was still in her pajamas, sipping her morning coffee.

Now this could be a very stupid question, and the whole idea completely went over my head, but how is the smell of breakfast and the mom still being in her pajamas related?

It just feels odd that the main character saw his mom in pajamas mixed with the smell and decided that, yep, mom's definitely making breakfast. I feel like it might make more sense if you just mentioned the smell alone.

But once again, I could have easily missed something, and this is just a dumb question I had while reading.

So,obviously, you don't have to pay any mind to this. My questions will always be different from other readers' questions, and at the end of the day, it's ultimately up to the writer. So feel free to completely ignore this, and please know that I mean nothing negative by it!

If I had to pick my favorite part, I think it would have to be where Ashleigh realizes her self-worth and decides to dump her boyfriend.

I've had an epiphany. I simply cannot bear the colossal burden of being in a relationship with that pathetic excuse of a human, Luke. The guy is practically a man-whore, I deserve better, like, a million times better.

It's such a powerful message that makes this story all the more relatable for so many different readers. It also adds an extra depth and makes for a wonderful trope that can absolutely be built upon later in the story. And I really hope it is!

Also, completely unrelated to this story, I really like your username!

Overall, this was incredible! And I'm most certainly excited to come back for more when you decide to post the next chapters! I think you did a wonderful job on this and built an amazing foundation for an outstanding novel!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this for us all to read, and I hope the next chapters are coming soon!

Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!

sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy