Rain Before Dawn, Chapter 5 & 6

by Darkmoon158

Since some of you didn't catch chapter five in my other post, here's five and my just finished chapter six.

Amber shoots up from her bed in a cold sweat. She sees two glowing red eyes right in front of her door. Amber, shocked, freezes completely still. Suddenly she hears an unfamiliar voice.

“I’m sorry to frighten you, love, but I seem to have that affect on people.”

She can tell from the deepness in the voice that it is male. The only sound is the sound of her heavy breathing.

“Did I startle you that much, love?” His voice concerned.

She snaps out of it when she hears the door shut and yells “Who is it, Michael?”

The voice offended, “No I am most certainly not!”

Amber sees the eyes glowing a brighter shade of red.

“Then who are you?” She sighs seeing the eyes turn to a relaxing red.

“I’m Demitrin nice to meet such a lovely lady.”

The eyes move over to the side of her bed.

“Demitrin, Demitrin, sorry I don’t think I know any Demitrins.”

Now she can see in the moonlight, coming in through the window that Demitrin is wearing a dark robe much like the man from her nightmare the night she was in the hospital. His dark eyes and devilish smile is the only other thing she can see.

“I assure you, you do know me.”

“May I ask why you’re in my room then?”

He smiles, “I have something important to tell you.”

She looks surprised but that fades into a weak smile. “Well, Demitrin, could this wait until morning? I would like to get some sleep.”

He sighs, “I guess, love. I shall see you in the morning.”

The eyes fade out and Amber goes back to sleep.

Amber wakes to the smell of bacon, eggs and sausage. She rubs her eyes, rolls out of bed and runs down the stairs into the kitchen.

“Is that bacon I smell?” she takes a big whiff of the air.

Her mother stands over the stove cooking. Amber sits down on the bar stool along side the kitchen snack bar.

Her mother turns from the stove, “I’m making Canadian bacon, scrabbled eggs, toast and home fries.”

Amber starts to drool. She hasn’t had a big breakfast like this since the last time she was at home. Since she went to college, Amber has been living with Faith. Of course, Faith doesn’t mind the extra company given that she can get lonely easily.

“I love being at home.” Amber smiles and waits for the food.

Her mother places a plate stacked with chow in front of Amber.

“Enjoy.” She whispers and leaves the room.

In a few minutes, Amber pats her stomach and gets up from her seat. “I better get dressed.”

She skips down the hall toward her mother’s room. She can hear voices coming out of the room. She stealthy moves toward the half-open door; listening carefully when she hears the word ’Amber’.

“Yes I’m talking about Amber; did you tell her yet, Nicky?”

The voice sounds very much like her brothers’ thus she continues to listen.

“Not yet, I think her-” The female voice is interrupted

“I do not care what you think, you despicable excuse for a demon. How dare you go against my wishes and not tell the princess her fate.”

Amber hears a loud slapping sound followed by the sound of someone weeping. Horrified, she runs down the hall and through the front door. Who were these voices? What were they talking about? She shakes the questions from her mind and turns the curb. She remembers, from the many nights running away from home, going down this same cold, dark sidewalk. Except today it is light out, the birds are singing their beautiful songs, and the-. Her thoughts slightly intermittent by memories flooding back in. Very painful memories.

An eight year old Amber runs down the sidewalk in pitch black. “It’s not fair,” she thinks, “Other people have mothers’. Why couldn’t mine still be alive?” Her eyes swell up with tears. “It’s just not fair!” She screams.

Amber shuts her eyes to stop the tears from coming. It isn’t fair but she’s learned over the years she just can’t run from every problem she has. She has dealt with every other problem but this one she has been struggling with. It seems as though someone doesn’t want her to forget, ever. She stops on the curb a few blocks away from her home. She sits and cries for the first time she is going to confront this dilemma. Amber sits in silence, except for her sobs, when she feels a slight tap on her shoulder. She turns, Michael stands before in a sort of glow for now the sunny is at its fullest. He is wearing his normal long white cloak and his eyes shine with glee.

In between snivels she whispers, “What do you want?”

“To cheer you up. Please stop your crying we have places to go, things to see.”

“How did you know I needed cheering up?” she wipes her nose and eyes off.

He smiles and places out his hand, “Sometimes you just know. Now take my hand so we can go, it is your birthday is it not?”

She thinks about his offer and grabs a hold of his hand. “Yes, how did you know?”

“I have my ways.” he whispers.

He pulls her off the sidewalk. He directs her the way of a sky blue corvette parked nearby. It has bright goldish-white wings painted on the sides and in the sunlight it looks as though it is floating above the asphalt. Her eyes widen and her face fills with spirit again. Because if there is anything Amber loves, it has to be a sports car.

“Is that your car?” she asks hoping it is.

He looks at the car then at Amber, “Yes you like it?”

“Very much so. Can we take it for a ride?” she answers grinning.

“If you want to.” He smirks.

She races over to the car and jumps into the passenger seat. Michael hops in and starts the engine. Scenes from her accident flash in her mind. She squirms in her seat from the sights she’s seeing. Michael looks over at her, with his always smiling face.

“We could walk if you want.”

She shakes her head no. She doesn’t want this to stop her from having a good birthday. He nods his head and drives down the road. Amber looks over at him; she senses a calming sensation in his presence. Whoever he is, she feels safe and at rest with her mind when she’s around him.

He looks over at her and thinks, “I am graced by your beauty, Princess Eve. But I know my responsibility, I will tell you today, about how sixteen years ago your life changed forever. But now it is my duty, and yours, to return you back to your homeland, the place you were born and that you don’t remember. However, this isn’t going to be an easy task, Eve.” He silently prays, “Please give me strength.”

His face holds that everlasting smile, the smile that holds a thousand other emotions and more. He knows deep down in his heart that if he fails to jog her memory about her past that he’ll never be able to forgive himself. And so he drives down the road fearful of the past and even more of the future.

In about an hour they drive up to a lakefront. The water stretches across the land. Amber’s eyes light up for she has never been near a lake before. Michael smiles at her; his eyes glimmering just as much as Amber’s. He parks the car by the side of the road. Amber hops out and waits for Michael. He gets out and strolls over to a nearby tree on a hill. He sits down next to the trunk of the huge tree looking out at the seashore. Amber joins him and relaxes against the bumpy stalk.

She looks at Michael, “Aren’t you hot in the cloak? It’s about 90 degrees out here.”

He smirks, “Not in the least bit.”

After a few minutes Amber breaks the silence.

“So where exactly are we going for my birthday?”

“I don’t want to spoil a surprise of this proportion.” He sneers and looks over at her hopeful face. “But trust me, it will be special.”

He pulls himself up from the ground and extends out a hand. Amber grips it as he pulls her up. Michael walks off down the hill toward the shore. Amber brushes herself off and follows Michael. He stops at the waterfront and Amber stops with him. He reaches into the clear water pulling some out.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?”

Amber looks at him then at the water. “Very charming, but are we just staying at the beach for the day?” she asks impatiently.

He drops the water back and snaps his fingers. Amber looks around, everything has stopped. The water is frozen in mid tide and birds have stopped in mid flight. She walks over to a leaf that is immobile in the air and touches the air under it and above it, the leaf stays. She gasps, surprised.

“Today, Amber, you will learn your destiny.” Those are the last words Amber hears before collapsing on the ground unconscious.

Amber wakes to the sight of Michael’s face.

“What happened?” she asks.

“I’m not quite sure.”

Michael helps Amber up, his smile fading. Suddenly they hear a loud crash then a boom. Over near an oak tree, something slices through the air. Like a tear in a pair of jeans, a rip appeared. Slowly, two shadows creep out.

“So you thought you could keep us away by causing a stop in time? Wrong. We’ll stop at nothing to get Princess Eve.” One shadow says.

Michael pushes Amber behind him and draws a sword from his belt. Amber, confused, stays behind him hoping she’s dreaming all this. One shadow hops, like a whisk of dark matter, over to Michael and slices open his chest. Michael falls to the ground bleeding. Shaking violently, Amber stands in the wide open.

“Quickly, Amber, run!” Michael manages to say before passing out.

Bewildered Amber runs in the direction of the shadow-creatures. Baffled the shadow-creatures follow her. She speeds up in order to lose them. She spots the hole the shadows came out of and runs into it without thinking it through. The hole quickly closes as she darts in.

All around her is purple swirling air. She coughs for it’s smoky. For some reason her lungs fill up with water. She could hear something ripping through the tunnel-like vortex she must be going through. Her body couldn’t take the air she is breathing in anymore and passing out.

When she wakes she sees she’s in a room and not outside anymore.

“Well, finally Princess Eve has awoken.” Someone’s familiar voice from behind her says.

Amber sits up and turns to see Demitrin standing behind her.

“Why does everyone keep calling me Eve?!” She shouts.

Demitrin looks at her, “Has Michael not told you?”

“Told my what?! I want answers and I want them now!” She bellows.

She stands up. Demitrin looks at her in a thoughtful way.

“Ok I will tell you. But first I think we should be alone.” He snaps his fingers as the guards, she hadn’t noticed before, leave.

He takes her hand and leads her to a balcony. Where ever she was it was nighttime here. Overhead the moon cast a beautiful glow on her surroundings.

“Eve, if you will, you have a rich and colorful past.”

Confused, Amber/Eve replies, “I don’t understand.”

“You see Eve you are from another planet, the sister planet to Earth if you will. This place is called Amum. Many, many years ago when God created Earth he tried to make Earth a completely evil free world. But in doing so he had to put the evil that would contrast the good somewhere. He made a new planet right next to Earth its complete twin. He put the evil there. God placed a veil on Amum so no one could see Amum and its evilness. There on the evil planet creatures began to form. It was out of God’s control and soon those creatures started making other creatures. Thus, creating life on Amum. But with evil there comes good and vise versa. You, Eve, were created when two rulers fell in love. That is how you got the name Princess Eve. You are rightful to the thrown but people like Michael knew of your good potential and thought if you grew up on Earth you would be evil. So that on your 17th birthday they’d come and get you so you could rule Amum in a bad way.”

Baffled, Eve looked at Demitrin, “If all this is true, how come on my 17th birthday?”

“Because Princess, you get your full powers when you’re 17.”

About to faint Eve whispers, “This is all too much to handle”

Demitrin smiles, “You’ll be ok, I promise.”

Eve faints, quickly Demitrin catches her. He strokes back her hair and brings her inside.

He whispers to himself, “My plan is complete.”

Please critique

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2