Ragnarök

by Daniel Brown

*** Only the very beginning of the story ***

Chapter I

The fertile land was green and lush; the heavens above were icy blue, harbouring the first Sun; the seas were calm, and beautifully reflected the mid day Sun. The fishing town of Gyraghdryll sat quietly and peacefully on the coast, the sea air rushing through the town and up, into every man, woman and child’s lungs. Gyraghdryll was small, but accommodated a hefty number of inhabitants, it looked cosy from the heavens, that and clean which was a rarity compared to most towns in Midgard. And then there were the people of Gyraghdryll, they may not have had much, but they had each other, that and there town mead, which they could drink all day, and night.

The houses were small and dinky, they had two rooms at the very most, one of which they often shared with there livestock. However, they were well built, and well kept.

“Y’all stop with the pig.” Hilde yelled as she arrived back home from the docks. Hilde was a short stout woman, with thick, rich, fiery red hair, her skin was as white as the snow that fell come winter but as warm as her ale filled heart.

“But ma’, she’s lively today.” One of the children stated.

“Yeah ma’, and we have washed her up and all.” Another yelled from behind the pig’s hind leg.

“Yoah, well, alright then, but don’t tire her now; don’t want her to loose weight.” Hilde replied whilst placing a fresh loaf on the wooden kitchen top to calve into shares.

“Why not ma’?” one of the children asked.

“Well, y’all be withering away if she does, bare that in mind now.” Hilde replied solemnly pointing the knife at the children indirectly.

“You mean, we’re goin’ be eating her ma’?” the youngest child asked whilst pulling on the pig’s neck.

“Aye, when I was ‘bout your age we ate the pig last, ain’t that right ma’?” The oldest of the children explained.

“Aye, that’s right Ingrid.” Hilde declared, “any y’all seen your pa’?”

“Pa’ came by ‘bout an hour ago, down at the Aler’s now I think. He came by with cousin Helgar too ma’.” Ingrid explained.

“Cousin Eirik’s in town? Well, he never did say.” Hilde challenged, “You sure it was cousin Eirik?”

“Aye, she’s right ma’, he brought mead too.” The boy from behind the pig’s hind leg explained as he stood up, then made his way over to the door and leapt onto a barrel, “It real big ain’t it ma’?”

“And so it is,” Hilde declared stepping over to the barrel, “Now get down will you Snorre- you’ll do yourself a nasty injury.”

Snorre leapt off of the barrel and tumbled into the pig’s rear; she immediately dashed forward in fright, gashing out a stocky squeal.

“Now that is it you lot, get off of that pig.” Hilde ordered, “Tell you what, I got a job for y’all- go out and find your father and your cousin Eirik.” Hilde instructed.

Snorre huffed, “Do we have to ma’?”

“Aye, y’all do, and then bring ‘em back here. Oh, cousin Eirik will have some stories to tell he will, great stories from afar.” Hilde stated excitedly.

“Stories?” Another child asked, this child was the spitting image of Ingrid, just half of the size.

“Aye,” Ingrid began, “When cousin Eirik visits he always got’s stories to tell.”

Hilde slowly opened the old wooden door, “Now what y’all waiting for eh?”

The four children all looked at the fifth child- Ingrid- she nodded, prior to all of them rushing out of the door screaming either, “Stories!” or “Cousin Eirik!”

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: This seemed like a pretty cool Norse sounding at the start then it become a really fun little village scene from times long past. I loved the dialogue and interactions, it all felt very realistic to how a real family would communicate and its just a fun and very wholesome scene.

Okay looks like we be starting off with a bit of a setting description...a decent way to start off if maybe just slightly long. Not exactly the most attention grabby way to start....just a lot of unpronounceable words that appear to be from Norse Mythology so in that sense its a little weaker than it could be.

Okay interesting...we have ourselves a bit of an accent here...and done fairly decently, at least I can understand what on Earth they are saying and that's always a plus.

Well yaa...she does have a pretty good point there...sad but 'tis how life worked.

And this other person didn't know something that you'd think would be a very talked about activity? Seems unusual.

Wait why do they refer to the same person by two separate names or are they referring to two people here?

Okay for a second I though that was the pigs name...kind of a weird name for a child to have.

Ahh he's that kind of cousin...sounds nice...

Well that was a fun place to end on...love the idea there of them all charging out like that. A beautiful image to end things on.

Overall: Overall it was a really fun little story and besides a couple of very nitpicky things I couldn't really find too much wrong with it all. I loved reading it and the relationship between the mother and the children was really portrayed well. Great Job!!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:47 am
Storm_Bringer wrote a review...

Hello Dan!

Welcome aboard. Sorry I didn't review your others but I'll do this one. ^_^

Hmmm, so first thing is:

:arrow: Dialogue Punctuation!

You seem to have problems with this as most newbies do.
I'm sure there is something in the knowledge base for it... Oh! Here is the link:
Here!
Don't worry about it. Most people get confused on it. Basically, it is the same punctuation in books. Perhaps that will give you a good example.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't feel free to PM me to clear it up even more.

Another thing.
For every story/poem post you must do two reviews first. YWS has a 2:1 ratio. You might want to make a post in the Welcome forum. Then the Greeters will explain how things work, rules, etc...

Okay so:

Nitpicks!!

green and lush; the heavens above were icy blue,

It should be: green and lush , the heavens above were an icy blue,

The fertile land was green and lush; the heavens above were icy blue, harbouring the first Sun; the seas were calm, and beautifully reflected the mid day Sun.

Okay, this sentence is quite long... I think you should split it up. Plus I don't understand the "harboring the first Sun" part and what it has to do with the land and the heavens. Clear that up a bit.

Gyraghdryll was small, but accommodated a hefty number of inhabitants, it looked cosy from the heavens, that and clean which was a rarity compared to most towns in Midgard.

Another long sentence. Split it up. Plus, what does cosy mean? Is it a typo or what? :wink: Oh. I just realized. You are from England so you spell cozy that way... Okay. But still split the paragraphs.

shared with there livestock.

There should be their.

“Y’all stop with the pig.” Hilde yelled

It should be a comma not a period. Or full stop. Whatever you call it. So, after you read the link then just reread the peice and fix these up. I won't be pointing all of them out though. Just this one. :)

“Yoah, well, alright then,

I believe you meant Woah, not yoah. Unless that is a mixture of yeah and woah. :wink:

solemnly pointing the knife

Comma after solemnly.

pig last, ain’t that right ma’?”

Start a new sentence after last.

ma’.”

Should be:
ma,"

ma’

You don't need this: ' after ma. That's for everytime you say it.

That's all for the nitpicks! ^_^

Okay onto the others.

:arrow: Description

Well, I think you should add a lot more description. Especially when the dialogue comes in. Was Hilde glad about Erik coming? I also think the first paragraph has good description but you have a lot of run ons and long sentences. You should start a new sentence everytime a new subject come up. Sometimes you put a lot of subjects in one sentence. This will help for more description. Hilde needs some more description, definetly. You say how she looks but is she kind, mean, stern? But please, don't tell, show! You tell a lot of things but it would sound so much better with showing. You can use somethings like similes, metaphors, imagery, etc to help with things like this. :D

:arrow: Overall

This is a bit short. I know you said it was only a bit of your story though. Adding description will help. Also I didn't undertand why you made sun as Sun. Are you trying to do something like the "moon" thing? You could work on this. Its a bit boring. (No offense, it's probably just because it is so short.) So add more action in it. Make the kids more lively, especially when a relative is coming. It could use some work, but after that it will be great.

Good job, and I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions about my review.

~Storm

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber